Community Forum

5Ghz network lost with Pods, need help!

New Poster

5Ghz network lost with Pods, need help!

The Xfi mesh system only works with 2.4Ghz...which means getting speeds of 10-40mbps instead of 8-900 with the 5Ghz Wifi.

Disabling the mesh network allows for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz recognition, but our devices are too far apart from the router to allow for connection to the 5Ghz Wifi.

Many questions...

1) is there any way to force the mesh network onto the 5Ghz network?  It makes no sense to pay for 1Gb speed if most of the house is getting forced to use 50mbps

2) Is there something aside from the mesh network that Comcast/Xfinity sells like a booster specifically for 5Ghz to allow for better signal on the 5Ghz Wifi?

3) Do other mesh networks exist that work for 5Ghz outside of comcast....has anyone been able to use a mesh network that is compatible with xfinity's modem?

Thank you all...so much frustration with this situation.  Had I known the Xfi system forced 2.4Ghz Wifi, we never would have bought it!

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: 5Ghz network lost with Pods, need help!

Hi Christina320 --

Just wanted to clarify - xFi Pods are devices that can be paired with a compatible xFi Gateway to create a mesh WiFi network in your home. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password. Your network still has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio bands, but now your Gateway will sort out the best connection at any given time for your devices.

I've pulled up your account & do see that there are a number of devices connected to your Pods via the 5GHz band.

That said, you mentioned connected devices having slower speeds than you were expecting. Pods are meant to help extend the range of WiFi coverage in your home to hard-to-reach areas, or areas with poor WiFi signals. They are not intended to provide the maximum speed of your Internet speed tier throughout your home.

In order to help extend your WiFi connection, Pods need to communicate or connect wirelessly to the xFi Gateway and, depending on their location, they may "hop" through other Pods on their path to get there. The number of "hops" the Pod needs to make to the Gateway will impact the speed.

Repositioning your Pods may help. Your first Pod needs to be placed with at least one room separating it from your compatible xFi Gateway (within approximately 20 to 30 feet). Then, your remaining Pods should be plugged into outlets throughout your home, evenly spaced from each other and the Gateway to ensure even coverage.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi Rachel I appreciate you response - I will certainly try to reposition my pods...but let me clarify my problem:

The devices in my living room (which are meant to connect at 5Ghz because they are newer) are defaulting to 2.4 GHz.  The representative on the phone told me that the pods only support 2.4Ghz.  I believe this is the reason that my devices are getting literally 1/10th the speed than if I don't use the pods and split my Wifi between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz with the option to connect to either network.

The problem is that I want to use my pods to cover more of the 5Ghz network (I don't even have devices anymore that only support 2.4Ghz, all of them support 5Ghz now).

Because of this "default" in the Xfi system to connect to 2.4Ghz, I am getting very slow download speeds on my devices.  It doesn't matter if I am sitting next to the router, or literally outside my house by the pool 1200 square feet away.  The speed is 10-50mbps as opposed to not using the pods where I can get 200-300 wirelessly.

I am failing to understand why I cannot force my router to use the 5Ghz network with the pods?

Edit: To clarify your comment on seeing devices set to the 5Ghz router - it's because I was asked to turn off the Xfi pods and split the network between 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz.  I was able to connect most portable devices in the home to the 5Ghz network.  However, some of the stationary hardware (TV in living room for example) is too far away from the router to pick up the 5Ghz signal.  I was hoping to use the Mesh network to extend the pre-existing 5Ghz network range so I can use these devies at their maximal potential, not default to the 2.4Ghz network.

Official Employee

Hi Christina320 – Thanks for the additional detail. I apologize for any misunderstandings, but want to clarify that xFi Pods create a mesh WiFi network that extends both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Part of the Pod activation process is to give both bands the same name and password. xFi Pods do not "default" to the 2.4 GHz band and there would be no need to force anything to connect to the 5GHz. With both bands using the same name and password, the gateway will sort out & connect your devices to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

Each time I've pulled up your account to take a look, I'm seeing devices connected to your Pods via the 5GHz band. You can check this as well at any time using the xFi app. Navigate to the Devices section > Tap a device > Device Details > from there you can see Connection Type & Connection Point.

Were you able to try repositioning any of the Pods? It looks like they could possibly benefit from being moved a bit closer to the gateway to provide them a better signal.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!