Community Forum

3rd party wireless modem/router

Highlighted
New Poster

3rd party wireless modem/router

I have a Motorola MG7315 modem/router. When I purchased it in November 2018, I was able to pair the Xfinity TV box to the wireless network. Now it will not even see the wireless. Xfinity Tech Support is telling me that I must use an Xfinity modem/router. Are other people having an issue like this with their 3rd party modems?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: 3rd party wireless modem/router

I am also having that issue, but they did not tell me I couldn't use a 3rd party router.  However, after reading online I'm starting to wonder...and they want to come out and look at it..of course I'll be charged I'm sure for the to tell me they won't support it.

Please help.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: 3rd party wireless modem/router

Hello all. To have a Wireless TV Box in your home, you'll need Xfinity TV service, at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and Xfinity Internet with an eligible Wireless Gateway to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection. Note: The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!