Community Forum

2.4GHz WiFi signal keeps disappearing

Frequent Visitor

2.4GHz WiFi signal keeps disappearing

First intermittently, now more predictably, the 2.4GHz WiFi signal stops broadcasting properly. 

After  (wifi) reset the signal comes back on, and usually remains on until 5:25am every morning. Then after, it 'blinks' - i.e. the wifi signal comes on intermittently, about 2 out of every 8 seconds or so. Needless to say, all 2.4GHz connected devices lose their connectivity. 

The 5GHz Wifi signal has no problems whatsoever, nor do the wired devices or the remove TV boxes show any issues. Also, the router and internet connectivity remain stable all throughout. 

What is the most likely cause for this? HW failure, or SW conflict?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi signal keeps disappearing

@henry93933 wrote:

First intermittently, now more predictably, the 2.4GHz WiFi signal stops broadcasting properly. 

After  (wifi) reset the signal comes back on, and usually remains on until 5:25am every morning. Then after, it 'blinks' - i.e. the wifi signal comes on intermittently, about 2 out of every 8 seconds or so. Needless to say, all 2.4GHz connected devices lose their connectivity. 

The 5GHz Wifi signal has no problems whatsoever, nor do the wired devices or the remove TV boxes show any issues. Also, the router and internet connectivity remain stable all throughout. 

What is the most likely cause for this? HW failure, or SW conflict?

How close to the signal source are you?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

>> How close to the signal source are you?

About 4 feet - it is not a signal strength issue. 

Once it 'flakes', I can see the signal going from -50dBm (strong signal) to -100dBm (no signal). It stays at the -50dBm level for about 2 seconds, then drops down to the -100dBM level (or drops out) for about 6 seconds, then it repeats. 

In this state, all connected devices drop out. 

Expert

The 2.4 Ghz band is notoriously vulnerable to interference - anything from TVs, PC monitors, cordless phones, Bluetooth, Zigbee, microwave ovens, USB 3.0 devices, baby monitors... the list goes on. 

Is the router positioned anywhere near a strong EM source like the ones above?  

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Things were fine for about 6 months, now it is acting up. 

More repeaters (and devices) were added, but none close to the unit. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@henry93933 wrote:

Things were fine for about 6 months, now it is acting up. 

More repeaters (and devices) were added, but none close to the unit. 

I had a simily issue; I had turned OFF my gateway's wifi so I could use my Orbi.  One day I got a notice that my gateway was reset, which turned the gateway (XB6-A) wifi on.  I had to go into the admin tool again and turned it off.

I suspect you may have had yours reset in some way to change the SSID to a single SSID for both bands.

Do you have the xFi Pods?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I have had this exact same problem 5.0 works great 2.4 keep dropping out and all my devices disconnect. Have had Comcast out and they have checked all the lines and even replace the one to the pole but no luck. I’ve replaced the modem 3 times. I can vaguely trace this issue back to when I installed the pods. Is there any linkage? Should I manually change the channel to something other than the standard? I’m really getting frustrated as I have spent hours on this with no solution found yet
Official Employee

@henry93933, you mentioned this happens daily around 5:30 am. Is this every day? If not, can you tell me which day was the last day you observed this happening? 

Also, if you could send me a private message with some of the MAC addresses for the devices that connect to 2.4 and you have confirmed drop offline during this time. I can have someone look into this. 

@shagermoser, is this also a repeatable and predictable happening for you? Do you know the day and time this last occured? You mentioned you have pods, does the 5GHz also drop, or just the 2.4? Are there specific device MACs that you could provide to me (via Private Message) that you have observed getting dropped when this happens?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

>>  @henry93933, you mentioned this happens daily around 5:30 am. Is this every day? If not, can you tell me which day was the last day you observed this happening? 

Also, if you could send me a private message with some of the MAC addresses for the devices that connect to 2.4 and you have confirmed drop offline during this time. I can have someone look into this. 

@ComcastBrittany the device that disconnects is the Ubiquity router, which connects to the Xfinity box over 5GHz. This controls perhaps half the internet devices on the network (they all disappear). 

As to diagnosing the problem, the culprit seems to have been a repeater, which I updated on the cellphone app. This triggered its broadcast ID to be the same as the Xfinity box (same network). Prior it was a different name (Network-EXT) to keeps this separate, debuggable, and controllable. I am not sure whether it lead to a IP collusion or a spurious network activity, but the problem remedied itsefl. 

In background of all this, the neighbors added a repeater which pushed the Xfinity box to re-align its channels (11 became 9). Not sure that there is interference or otherwise which may have compounded or lead to the issue.  However, it made me switch all  broadacst signals to narrowband - ie. a tad stronger, which seems to have helped as well.

As of now, all is well.

As to the strange Xfinity broadcast behavior observed (signal on for a few seconds, then goes away for longer, then reappears) - no good answer as of yet.

Official Employee

Glad to hear you were able to get it resolved! If the issue creeps up again, please reach out and we can see what can be done for troubleshooting. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.