Community Forum

2.4 vs 5ghz

New Poster

2.4 vs 5ghz

I currently have these combined, letting my device or the router decide which is better at the time. I now need 2.4 and 5 separate, but I dont know how to do so
Official Employee

Re: 2.4 vs 5ghz

Use the XFi app or the MyAccount and you can edit your Wi-Fi info

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I have a new modem with no way to either separate 2.4 and 5. I have devices rnat will not connect and need 2.4 only. How do i separate them or turn off 5.0?
Official Employee

Have you tried to use the XFi app or the MyAccount app?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Yes, those settings are no longer accessible.in the new modem. It says they are being autonatic as lly msnaged for best rezults
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
Yes, those settings are no longer accessible.in the new modem. It says they are being autonatic as lly msnaged for best rezults

I have both 2.4 and 5.0 Apple devices.  Do you have the xFi Pods?  They are supposed to assign the right band to each device.

What is the make and model of your new modem?  I can access my Xfinity modem with either my My Account app or with the website.

If you have having an issue with your Xfinity Account userid and password., 1800comcast may be able to help.

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security#username-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Tech support, phone, says they can't help because i am using pods. So did the tech that installed it. Model XB6-T
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
I have a new modem with no way to either separate 2.4 and 5. I have devices rnat will not connect and need 2.4 only. How do i separate them or turn off 5.0?

You shouldn't have to do anything if you have pods.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfi-pods-faqs

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

The pods prevent the user, and apparantly Comcast from separating into 2 SSIDS OR even disabling the 5g signal. I have multible devices that no longer connect because of this problem
Silver Problem Solver

@philbes wrote:
The pods prevent the user, and apparantly Comcast from separating into 2 SSIDS OR even disabling the 5g signal. I have multible devices that no longer connect because of this problem

Technically, I can separate the bands, but then the pods won't work.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

Contributor

Unlike yesterday, i was able to disable 5gig. When i did, the wireless tvs stopped receiving a wifi signal. Do they use the 5g signal? The pods appeared to be working fine on just 2.4gig.
Contributor

Renaming 5gig is blocked. Is there any way to rename either one?
New Poster

Contributor

Not sure what problem this addresses, my SSID names can not be excited
Contributor

I think i found a possible fix. Disable 5 g dignal, connect the device that onlt wants a 2.4g signal and then turn the 5g back on. Eorking for one device, will try the other outside when it stops raining (device is an outside sprinkler rainbird).
Official Employee

@philbes, this approach should work for most devices -- disabling the 5GHz network, adding the device to your network, and then re-enabling the 5GHz network. 

If you run into a situation where this does not work, please let us know.