Community Forum

xfinity re-neging on deal.

New Poster

xfinity re-neging on deal.

Just got an email from xfinity mobil saying they will no longer honor the deal they made when we signed up for the unlimited. The deal is that we get 4g for up to 20 gigs no matter how we use it including personal hot spots. We need the 4g hotspots to take care of banking transactions etc via laptop when at our cabin, which has no internet availability, or at hotels when we need a secure connection. They are now saying personal hot spots will be capped at 600k, wording says "no more than 600k" (lousey 3g connection). This is no good for use as an hotspot, or much of anything aside from basic phone calls.  I  called them and was told if we needed 4G hotspots we could still pay by the gig at the tune of $12 per gig on top of the rate we already pay. The lack of 4g hot spots at an affordable price is the reason we switched to xfinity from verison. I guess we will be looking for a different provider since xfinity can not keep to a commitment.  Another "bait and switch" from xfinity!

Tags (2)
Contributor

Re: xfinity re-neging on deal.

Jim, they sure are. I filed an FCC complaint about it. I suggest that everyone do that. Here; https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us I have already been contacted by Executive Escalations.. Apparently, there is already a lot of push back on this. (No doubt) They're going to "look into it". LOL OK. Still, they probably won't do anything. It has, however, changed a large portion of what it was they were initially offering. A true "bait and switch" in every aspect. I don't know how these telecommunication companies continue to get away with this scam. (And that's exactly what it is too) They must be paying off all the right politicians, that's for sure. My experience with Xfinity Mobile is that it was "not ready for prime time" when it launched, and it's still not. "Tech Support" is nothing more that a cruel joke on the customers. They are TOTALLY lost. God help you if you need any kind of support beyond simple settings.
Frequent Visitor

I also filed a complaint and got an email and VM from a escalations manager. I have yet to return the call but will hopefully do so tomorrow. For me it wasn't just about switching for cheaper mobile service. I actually invested 10 years into their internet and cable services. I didn't mind the bill going up few dollars every year because the fact is they did increase our internet speeds a lot more compared to a decade ago so yes every dime is being put back into the infrastructure both cable and internet wise. With that mentality I left AT&T (loyal for 12 years since Cingular days) with grandfathered unlimited and I even had a discount with them through my job.....so yeah. The biggest regret I made was leaving AT&T for XM. despite $15 savings every month. Better believe when they say you pay for what you get. I wonder if I hand wrote a letter to AT&T corporate and ask them to restore my old account back and put the blame on XM for their scam tactics. It's only been about 3 months since I left them.........
Contributor

Nicholas,

Similar story here. I was a 15 year Verizon Wireless "Unlimited" (as well as Residential, Business, and Internet) customer when I switched to Comcast Xfinity / Xfinity Mobile.  It has been about 8 months now and I wish I had never left. You're right, the small savings isn't woth the hassles and total lack of  tech support.  (I have never been able to utilize the wifi data as they promoted  and promised it in the beginning when I switched.  NEVER.)

I did recently get an email from Verizon offering me a $500 bonus to come back. This throttling started with Verizon  back in the beginn the year though, so they're just as bad. And since XM uses Verizon's network (A big reason why I went with XM in the first place) they totally knew  of this this "throttling" while they were still pushing the the unrestricted WIFI as a feature!  What an unscrupulus company.

New Poster

I filed a detailed complaint here. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us I need to correct my initial post. I said we could add 4G by the gig to current plan. That was wrong. Its either stay on the so called unlimited plane with no hotspot capability (3G is useless for a hotspot), or switch to a "{by the gig plan" at $12 per gig. That would mean having 20gigs at 4G for hotspot use would cost us $240 per line instead of $45. We only used the 4G hotspot once for a bank transaction from the cabin up north and that time it did work.
Official Employee

Hi jimguy, since a complaint was already filed a team should reach out to you soon and will research this further for you.

Thank you