Community Forum

xfinity mobile - SSN

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

xfinity mobile - SSN

COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME:

• WHY YOU NEED TO CREDIT CHECK ME AGAIN FOR XFINITY MOBILE WHEN I HAVE BEEN A BROADBAND/TV CUSTOMER FOR 2 YEARS PAYING YOU $160 PER MONTH?
  • IF YOU DO NEED TO CREDIT CHECK ME, WHY IS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN DO IT VIA AN SSN NUMBER?

PLEASE READ THE SORRY TALE BELOW:

I have been a Xfinity Internet and TV Customer for around 3 years. . My primary home is in the UK, you have that address on file. I have a holiday home in Florida. For the past year you have been sending me emails suggesting that I use Xfinity mobile. When I got back to my house in Florida on 1st November last year I thought that I would give it try. Via my account on your website I ordered a Sim card for my iPhone. It came the following week. I then contacted your activation center, that’s when my troubles began:

SIM When I phoned to activate the SIM, Saturday 1oth November, I was asked by Crystal, in Xfinity Mobile for my Social Security number – I have no such number, I am not a US citizen. I do have a US Tax number as I own a house here which I rent out. This number is usually acceptable instead of a SS number. I was on the phone to Crystal for 60 mins, whilst she was trying to get the system to accept my US Tax number. She tried very hard and was as frustrated as I was that neither her, her supervisor or the Central team she phoned could help. Eventually she found out that my tax number needed to be on my account with you. She said that she could not add it on-line, I had to go to a local Comcast office – Port Charlotte. I asked what documentation I needed, could she please check with the local office. She had no way to contact the local office. However she said she was sure it would be OK. Before going to the Port Charlotte Office, which is 30 minutes away, I phoned your central customer services department to check they could do what I needed, they had no way to contact the local office. Monday, I went to the Port Charlotte, Edgewater Drive. There were 20+ people in the queue ahead of me. 45 minutes later I got to see Elias, who told me they could not use my tax number, I had to have a Social Security number! This was because it was needed to do a credit check. I have had an account with Comcast for 4 years, you already did a credit check. I finally persuaded him to look at the IRS 1040NR form I had brought with me and add my Tax number to the extensive notes on my file. Meantime I had agreed to answer a telephone survey call. After giving Comcast very low marks, I was phoned by Ian, “Customer Solutions” to ask about my rating. Having heard my sorry tale he said he would sort it all out for me. I never heard from Ian again! Wednesday, I phoned the Activation phone number – 1-888-972-6030 again. Spoke to Natalie, who tried very hard to help me but could find no way around the Social Security number problem. So What do I want from you? Preferably fix it so that I can activate my Xfinity SIM. If this is not possible, make clear in your advertising that you will not provide mobile service to those without a SS Number - although checking on the internet this appears to be illegal – you have to accept an alternative? Give your call centers access to your local shops and offices so they can check before they send people there that the service/assistance can be provided there

Contributor

Re: xfinity mobile - SSN

XM needs your SSN to do a credit check but also as a precautionary measure if you choose not to pay your monthly service/phone and so they have a way to charge you. Xfinity (TV/Internet/Phone, etc) does NOT need your SSN as it's an option to choose not to. But like any postpaid carrier, XM will ask for a SSN and if you fail to give one you're ultimately out of luck.
Regular Visitor

OK. So Xfinity does not want any customer who is not a US citizen or Green Card holder but is legally visiting, owns property and pays US taxes but has no SSN or way to get one? If that is the case they should say so and stop sending emails to me urging me to take out a mobile contract

Alternatively they could find a way to do credit checks without an SSN - as all off the Credit Rating Agencies and many other utility suppliers do. I get electricity, internet/TV and water without a SSN. Or, as they do with my internet service, they could simply bill me in advance?

But hey, that would require someone at Xfinity to think about the issue rather than just parrot their policy?
Contributor

They will not bill you in advance, and they never will knowing how they are. And the emails you are receiving aren't urging you to sign up for Xfinity Mobile, they are just offers or ads per say.

Official Employee

raysmith8, sorry to hear about your experience.  pablomeza is correct in saying that XFINITY Mobile is a post paid service and thus requires a SSN on file to establish the account. We do not offer prepaid services for XFINITY Mobile at this time and thus cannot work around the SSN requirement. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you . I word still
like to have a Xfinity mobile account. Is there any way as an existing Xfinity customer that I can get a mobile account without an SSN? Failing this, as a registered US tax payer but non resident, can I get a SSN?

Regards

Ray Smith
Official Employee

Hey Ray, I'm excited that you are interested in being a mobile customer but that is not possible, at this time, without an SSN. As far as acquiring an SSN, that is perhaps better handled by your local government agency. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Hi

I am now back at my Florida home and still annoyed that you will not allow me to use Xfinity mobile. I have been an Internet and TV customer for 2 years now, on a contract, paying you $175 per month and you will not accept me as a customer paying $12 per month because I am not eligible for an SSN number as I am not eligible for a SSN, as I am not a US citizen! If you only accept US citizens as mobile customers (which I am not sure is legal?) you should say this in your advertising. Could you please explain to me why you need an SSN number to confirm my credit worthiness?

My contract for my Comcast package is up for renewal, is a way around this problem to combine mobile service into a new combined contract?

Please send your reply to my main email address <Edited>.

Regards

Ray Smith

Contributor

I have family that are undocumented immigrants and that have a non-work SSN and they still have XM Mobile. Anyone with a SSN can subscribe to Xfinity Mobile

Regular Visitor

Thank you for that info, so how do I get this non-working SSN?

Valued Contributor

Only the Social Security Administration can issue SSNs. Go to your local office.