Community Forum

xfinity Mobile & iPhone Upgrade Program

New Poster

xfinity Mobile & iPhone Upgrade Program

I switched from Verizon to xfinity Mobile about two months ago, bringing my iPhone X from Verizon. I originally purchased my X through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program and when looking into upgrades today I found that xfinity Mobile is not a supported carrier? This is pretty dissappointing considering xfinity Mobile is a Verizon MVNO.

Is it accurate that there is no way to upgrade with Apple's upgrade program and stay on xfinity Mobile? If so they'll swiftly be losing a customer.

Frequent Visitor

Re: xfinity Mobile & iPhone Upgrade Program

To my knowledge the short answer is no. Right now Xfinity Mobile is not accepted by apple for their upgrade plan. Someone else my have different intell but I think you may just be out of luck with that. 

New Poster

I am in the same exact boat! So upset Smiley Sad no Apple upgrade program available with xfinity mobile
Contributor

So lets think about this now, Apple sells  the iphone unlocked. So all Xfinity would have to do is activate the phone as a new device. What am i missing?

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 8.28.17 PM.png

Frequent Visitor

@TheGoodalls by selecting that option you’re buying the phone whole price no payment plan option
Contributor

you can iphone upgrade unlocked phones. I know becuase my phone, i bought thru Apple, thats unlocked, thats on Xfinity Mobile is that way.

New Poster

How do I iPhone Upgrade my unlocked phone when xfinity Mobile is not a valid carrier option?

Contributor

Why can't you just chose the Verizon option? Verizon phones automatically come unlocked and they're compatible with XM anyway. I've never used their upgrade program before do they verify if you have a Verizon account?

New Poster

Has anyone figured out how to upgrade their phone with xfinity when they're on the apple upgrade program? I might as well pay my phone off if I don't have the option to upgrade. 

New Poster

Unlocked devices are not eligible for the iPhone Upgrade Program. When you choose Verizon as the carrier, then you are required to activate the device with a new or existing Verizon account. There is no way around this either online or in store. Apple's online and in-store purchasing systems do not allow Apple staff to make exceptions to this.

New Poster

Yeah, it makes no sense at all. Why should Apple care what carrier their customers choose?
New Poster

Which carrier were you on when you started the upgrade program? The problem we are having is that now we are on Xfinity Mobile we are no longer eligible to upgrade our phone through the popular upgrade program offered through Apple. In order to participate in that upgrade program Apple is requiring its customers to have service through Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile or Sprint.
New Poster

The automatic verification of your number which has been ported to Xfinity kicks you out of the upgrade program.
New Poster

This problem has been on Apple’s radar for years too with smaller wireless resellers like cricket, boost and metro. Xfininty has been pushing wireless conversions for a while now and they have an estimated 1.4 million customers.

Apple should just sell unlocked phones through the upgrade program! It’s ridiculous! Apple is basically showing us the door.

If they don’t figure this out, I’m not buying an iPhone 11. Like most in my position, I will sit this upgrade cycle out and have a hard think about which phone I will buy next year.

Not only is Apple losing sales here, they are converting customers that were previously (happily) locked into their product path into unhappy disenfranchised customers with every incentive to explore other options moving forward.

It makes no sense. Either Apple is blind to the rising tide of wireless resellers, or they looked at it and they just don’t care enough to do anything about it.
New Poster

@Ctostler wrote:
The automatic verification of your number which has been ported to Xfinity kicks you out of the upgrade program.

Yeah that's not true.

New Poster

You can not switch. You can sell you phone and enter the Xfinity upgrade program.
New Poster

That was precisely my experience when attempting to preorder the iPhone11pro through the Apple upgrade program.