Community Forum

texting from computer results in multiple messages

Most Valued Poster

texting from computer results in multiple messages

Not sure if this is the proper board to post this but here goes anyway. I sent two short text messages to my husband's cell phone (we have Xfinity mobile) this week from the texting feature on my acct>mail>text  on my desktop computer and he gets duplicates of it. Earlier this week he got four of the same message and today he got 6 of them. I only hit 'send' once. Is there a bug? 

Update: This is also happening when I text from my phone to his phone. The duplicate texts vary from 2-6 so far.

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: texting from computer results in multiple messages

Hi TerriB, thank you for reaching out.  Is your husbands number the only one that gets multiple text messages when you send them, or have you noticed when sending to other numbers?

Thank you

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastPhill wrote:

Hi TerriB, thank you for reaching out.  Is your husbands number the only one that gets multiple text messages when you send them, or have you noticed when sending to other numbers?

Thank you

Can't answer that.....I don't usually text. When we got Xfinity Mobile in Jan 2018 I had to start texting him to leave a message because  where he works he cannot pick up voice mail unless he calls voice mail and its easier to text as I know he will see those...........no WIFI hotspots in range at his work location. The duplicate text messages just started recently.

Official Employee

TerriB, got it! Thanks for providing those details Terri. 

Can you try rebooting both your phone and your husband's phone and let us know if it is still happening after? 

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TerriB, got it! Thanks for providing those details Terri. 

Can you try rebooting both your phone and your husband's phone and let us know if it is still happening after? 

KenF

KenF...we turn phones off every night and yes it still happens. I also turn off computer every day and he still gets multiples when I text him from the computer. Its not a big issue but one worth mentioning in case there is a bug . I need to ask him if he gets multiples from others who do or do not use Xfinity Mobile and I will report back.

Official Employee

Gotcha. It does sound like a bug. Do you know what app he's using to send and receive text messages? Is he using the one that came with the phone? 

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Gotcha. It does sound like a bug. Do you know what app he's using to send and receive text messages? Is he using the one that came with the phone? 

Yes he uses the texting app that came on the LG phone from Xfinity Mobile.  I just  texted him from the computer on Xfinity.com and asked if he gets multiples from others not on Xfinity Mobile and he  said no. He called me and told me he got 24 of that latest text from me  and he said some of them only said 'ERS' whatever that means.

Official Employee

Hmmm, very strange. Do you know how to clear the app cache and data of the messaging app? I would recommend that next. 

All you do is go to settings-->general--->apps-->tap the text messaging app -->storage-->clear data/clear cache. 

You can do this on his phone when you can. Let me know if that changes anything. 

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hmmm, very strange. Do you know how to clear the app cache and data of the messaging app? I would recommend that next. 

All you do is go to settings-->general--->apps-->tap the text messaging app -->storage-->clear data/clear cache. 

You can do this on his phone when you can. Let me know if that changes anything. 

KenF

---

I clear caches on apps all time on my phone so I can do that on his phone BUT will that erase all his texts? I know he won't allow that. He has some he keeps no matter how much I tell him he needs to clean up his stuff! He has become a text pack rat.

Official Employee

LOL, I understand. I just did it on mine and it didn't delete any text messages I already had. 

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

LOL, I understand. I just did it on mine and it didn't delete any text messages I already had. 

KenF

GREAT...thanks. I may have to show him your reply so he will believe that he won't lose his precious texts. This is a man who could only use the phone function and does not use apps and  never touched texting until some of his work buds started texting him and now he loves it but always uses voice texting since he still can't use the keyboard so that anyone can understand what he types...lol. I love him dearly but he is tech challenged.  He is fixated on the mulitples of the few texts I send him.

Official Employee

TerriB, haha. I'll back you up Smiley Happy

Most Valued Poster

KenF.....cleared caches on hubbys phone (and mine too) and texted him from my phone and no duplicates. Will text him from computer today and see how that goes. I saw the 24 copies of the one  told you about yesterday..WOW.

Official Employee

WOW indeed, Terri. Let me know if it happens again! 

KenF

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

WOW indeed, Terri. Let me know if it happens again! 

KenF

So far so good...fingers crossed. Thanks again so much for your support

Official Employee

Anytime!  Smiley Happy