Community Forum

samsung S8 does not auto connect to Xfinity wifi.....

Contributor

samsung S8 does not auto connect to Xfinity wifi.....

i chose Xfinity mobile becuase i was told the phones would connect to Xfinity wifi and allow me to avoid using data.

that was a scam.

android phones will not auto connect to Xfinity wifi. the app shows Xfinity wifi all around me but the phone will not connect.

i was told a while ago that the problem was being worked on. isn't this the type of thing you are suposed to test BEFORE you sell the phones ?

will Xfinity mobile buy back my phone since it will not work as it was sold ?

JM

Problem Solver

Re: samsung S8 does not auto connect to Xfinity wifi.....

It only takes 2 taps in Settings to connect. Connections/Wi-Fi. For that, you want to return your device and cancel your contract?
Contributor

um, do you think that i would be on here and i haven't already tried that???

my phone will NOT AUTO CONNECT. i have been through tech support and no help.

tech supprt says there is a problem with andriod phones. that is the last info i got from them.

if you cannot have a more positive attitude then please get  out of my thread.

peace....

Official Employee

jamesfrmphilly, I have come across a few forum users who have had this problem with their android device. Was a ticket opened for your situation? Have you tried performing a factory reset or maybe see if they auto connect while in safe mode? 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

i think a ticket was opened and that was the last i ever heard. 

is there any obligation for anyone to get back to me ?

are you saying that a different phone would work better than the one i have now ?

a factory reset would destroy all my stuff on my phone, right ?

i would just a soon get a replacement phone.

i'm just out here in limbo.

help !

Contributor

my samsung S8 will not auto connect to Xfinity wifi. i have tried everything.

if i got a different android phone like an LG V30 would that one auto connect to the Xfinity wifi ???

is here anyone at Xfinity who can help me ????

Official Employee

If you have a ticket opened, I can search for it. Please private message me your full name, address and account number for more help. 

Yes, a factory reset would delete everything off of your phone. Before considering that, I recommend using your phone in safe mode to see if you're seeing the same auto connect issues. 

The LG V30 isn't offered by XFINITY Mobile so it would not be supported. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

i have no idea what safe mode is. if you can explan i will try it.

ok, i found how to do safe mode. i wll put it in safe mode and take it around today to see it it will connect.

no, it will not connect in safe mode.

Official Employee

Sure thing. Safe mode is a mode you can activate on your phone that operates a "clean" version of your phone. There aren't any installed apps in safe mode so with this feature we're able to pin point if there is an app that is interfering with how your phone is supposed to operate. 

For the Samsung S8, you can activate safe mode by doing the following: 

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

To turn off safe mode, just restart your phone. Let me know if you can auto connect once in safe mode. 

Contributor

here is what i learned from mobile support just now :

after turning wifi ON, press on the wifi icon. this brings up a list of hot spots.

find Xfinity wifi on the list. tap Xfinity wifi and it will connect.

now i am auto connecting to Xfinity wifi spots as i ride the bus.

i have no idea if this is secure or not.

Official Employee

Cool. It's working as it should. 

The network is secure and is password protected. 

KenF

Contributor

well it worked for one day. today i cannot connect to anything.

automatic, manuel, nada. no connection.

Xfinity should offer some form of compensation.

JM

Contributor

I have the same issue on my 8+, my buddy does also. He did factory reset per Xfinity mobile support and it fixed the issue. I haven't done that and just manually connect myself. Xfinity said its a known issue with Android and they are still working on it.
Official Employee

jamesfrmphilly, I just got your private message. I'll respond there. 

Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

The network is secure and is password protected. 

It depends upon which Xfinity wifi hotspot you are connected to, doesn't it? What I've seen and read is that there are two different Xfinity SSIDs, 1) XFINITY and 2) xfinitywifi. XFINITY is secure, but xfinitywifi is not. Personally, I'd be a bit cautious connecting to xfinitywifi unless you are using a VPN app.

Official Employee

Mike, xfinitywifi requires account authentication via web browser. If you're cache and cookies are saved, it won't ask you to re authenticate each time. 

Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Mike, xfinitywifi requires account authentication via web browser. If you're cache and cookies are saved, it won't ask you to re authenticate each time. 

Yes, but account authentication is completely different than a secure connection.The account authentication just prevents non-Comcast customers from logging into the hotspot. It's like the login to use Wi-Fi at a hotel. It doesn't do much at all to protect the user.

xfinitywifi hotspots are open. There is no encryption between your phone and the hotspot. You are only protected to the extent that your phone may be using SSL encryption for whatever it is accessing. With open hotspots, there is also no authentication to prove that this is a legitimate hotspot. Comcast may require you to login to prove that you are a Comcast customer, but I don't believe there is anything in place to prove to your phone that this hotspot is a legitimate Comcast hotspot. It is extremely simple for anyone to spoof an open hotspot. With open hotspots, a client will connect to any hotspot with a matching SSID. I would never want my phone to auto-connect to all hotspots with an SSID of xfinitywifi.

XFINITY hotspots use WPA2 to encrypt communications between your phone and the hotspot. WPA2 also involves a secure handshake to establish the connection, so that both ends can verify the authenticity of the other end. Someone can't easily spoof an XFINITY hotspot.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/secure-vs-open-xfinity-wifi/

Contributor

my Xfinity mobile will not connect to Xfinity hotspots....

Highlighted
Official Employee

jamesfrmphilly, we have a ticket open for you to investigate this. I'll update you in private message. 

Contributor

from where i sit the Xfinity wifi network DOES NOT WORK. even if it would work, it is NOT secure.

i find it hard to belive that comcast put this on the market without TESTING it first. someone is not telling the truth.

when i call and they open up a 'ticket', they just close it without doing anything.

who ever is in charge of this mess needs to be fired.

Official Employee

I understand you are frustrated. I will let you know when I have an update. 

Contributor

No reason to be rude to others that are trying to help you.  And its NOT YOUR THREAD.

Contributor

i installed the WiFi Prioritizer app and got a few connections....

Contributor

Official Employee

phone runs much better with wifi app installed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.za.flash.wifiprioritizer&hl=en

jamesfrmphilly, that's great to  hear. I'll let you know when I see an update on your ticket. 

Regular Contributor

This thread might help. It worked with my LG X Charge....

Official Employee

jamesfrmphilly, is your device able to connect automatically to hotspot? Tier 2 said your issue should be resolved.  Can you confirm?

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

it has been connecting ever since i installed the app. i have no idea if it will do it on it's own.

Official Employee

jamesfrmphilly, OK cool. Let me know if this changes for any reason.