Community Forum

network extender

New Poster

network extender

I was with Verizon mobile and switched to Xfinity mobile.  Since Xfinity mobile uses Verizon's infrastructure, I was told I could use my network extender.  At home the network extender has been critical because connections and connection quality were terrible without it.  Now I understand this is, in fact, this is not the case.

I have looked for other solutions like a femtocell device.  Nothing seems available.  (I believe signal boosters are illegal but also way to expensive.) 

When will I be able to use my network extender or similar device?  This is very important for my service.

Thanks.

Official Employee

Re: network extender

Hi dglane, we currently don't have a timeline for when network extenders will be able to be added to your network. Please check back with us later in the year for another update. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I was wondering if there is a sollution to this issue?  It has been almost a year since this was posted, and I still do not see a good answer to this question.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same question.

Contributor

Cellular network extenders have gone the way of the dinosaurs. They were 2G and maybe 3G both of which are being phased out and neither of which provided high definition voice or VoLTE. Nor did they allow for simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon network. If you were using data, phone calls did not come through, they went straight to voicemail if you were lucky. 

We we now have WiFi Calling which goes straight to your internet connection without an extra piece of junk in between. It’s not perfect, but it’s much better. Cellular providers like Xfinity Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon certify mobile phones that can use WiFi Calling on their networks. This is an FCC requirement. T-Mobile and Sprint ignored the requirement so that they could claim greater coverage. 

Frequent Visitor

Yup, I know all that but my Xfinity phone does not support wifi calling so a range extender was my only hope. In addition, there are a huge number of comments online that xfinity WiFi calling is very unreliable. Poor quality and many dropped calls.
Official Employee

Hi All,

Thanks for posting here on the forums. Unfortunately, we do not support network extenders. We are aware of the issue with WiFi calling for some customers and are working on a fix. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Is this issue resolved yet? I was using my network extender from Verizon until it just suddenly stopped working. I can't make any calls from my home and the wifi calls drops. I reached out to your help desk and they were USELESS. Frustrated does not begin to explain it!

New Poster

I have the same question.  I just switched from Verizon to Xfinity.  I have been using a Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender for the past 3 years.  I has given me 5 bars inside my home.  However, now that I have switched, it continues to try to connect to Verizon and does not work.  I now occasionally have 1 bar inside my home.   If I am still using all of Verizon's network, why isn't this working?

Frequent Visitor

My son has Verizon and he gave me his network extender since he no longer needed it. It worked perfectly for me for about 6 weeks then stopped working. I think Verizon detects that the account to which the extender is registered is no longer a Verizon customer or not being used by the Verizon customer and blocks its use. So Comcast is being disingenuous when they says they don't support extenders. Its certainly NOT a technical issue just a contract issue with Verizon. I finally gave up and bought a phone that supports WiFi calling. That lets me make calls and texts but I still can't send or receive pictures in texts since Verizon or Comcast doesn't seem to support MMS over WiFi, only cellular.
Contributor

Here's the deal:  4G LTE Samsung (for Verizon) Network Extenders  do work for XM phones, however, XM will not or cannot "authorize/activate" the device, consequently, it will not function.  Strange, given XM operates on the Verizon system?

HOWEVER,  if you have a friend with a Verizon cell plan, they can activate your device as a device of their own. Invite them over for dinner and tell them to bring their Verizon log-on credentials  . Once they log into their Verizon account, easy to activate the device. And, strictly speaking, your friend wants decent cell service while at your house so why not have an active Extender for their use  ?