Community Forum

iphone 5/wifi calling

New Poster

iphone 5/wifi calling

I have an iPhone 5c (iOS 10.3.3) from Verizon.  I would like to switch my cell carrier to Comcast.  When I go to the website and check my phone, Xfinity website tells me an iPhone 5 (Verizon) is not compatible with the network.  When I call Comcast, I was first told I needed an iPhone 6 or newer, a week later the same Comcast rep. told me I needed an iPhone 7 or new.  Finally, I went to the local Xfinity store.  The person there told me an iPhone 5 (Verizon) will work just fine.  He even showed me the brochure from Xfinity that states an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on the network.  So, what is it?  Will an iPhone 5 (Verizon) work or not?

Next problem.  Where I live we get very poor reception.  So, years ago, I bought a Verizon network extender to boost the signal of our cell phones.  This has worked great.  But, the rep at the Comcast store tells me a Verizon iPhone 5c will not connect to make WiFi calls and there is no network extender available until at least next year.  (He told me it may be several years before Comcast offers something like that.)  My iPhone 5c (Verizon) is connected to WiFi, but under setting>phone, there is no option to use WiFi calling.  Is there a way to either connect this phone to Xfinity WiFi (I have Comcast in my house) or is there a network extender available for my phone on the Xfinity network?

Thanks

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: iphone 5/wifi calling

@larryjunk wrote:

I have an iPhone 5c (iOS 10.3.3) from Verizon.  I would like to switch my cell carrier to Comcast.  When I go to the website and check my phone, Xfinity website tells me an iPhone 5 (Verizon) is not compatible with the network.  When I call Comcast, I was first told I needed an iPhone 6 or newer, a week later the same Comcast rep. told me I needed an iPhone 7 or new.  Finally, I went to the local Xfinity store.  The person there told me an iPhone 5 (Verizon) will work just fine.  He even showed me the brochure from Xfinity that states an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on the network.  So, what is it?  Will an iPhone 5 (Verizon) work or not?

Next problem.  Where I live we get very poor reception.  So, years ago, I bought a Verizon network extender to boost the signal of our cell phones.  This has worked great.  But, the rep at the Comcast store tells me a Verizon iPhone 5c will not connect to make WiFi calls and there is no network extender available until at least next year.  (He told me it may be several years before Comcast offers something like that.)  My iPhone 5c (Verizon) is connected to WiFi, but under setting>phone, there is no option to use WiFi calling.  Is there a way to either connect this phone to Xfinity WiFi (I have Comcast in my house) or is there a network extender available for my phone on the Xfinity network?

Thanks

Iphone 5c is not compatible.

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

xfi does support wifi calling.

Official Employee

Hi larryjunk, the information that (mvenanzi) shared is correct. Feel free to reach back out to me here or via PM if you have any further questions or concerns. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

mvenanzi and ComcastAmir,

Thanks for the quick response.  I also used the Comcast website and saw that my iPhone 5 was not compatible, however, I have been to the Xfinity store in King of Prussia, PA twice and spoke with an employee (the same person each time).  He assured me my iPhone 5 will work on the Xfinity network (he also told me has switched other Verizon iPhone 5 to Xfinity network).  The reason I did not switch plans, I get very poor reception in my neighborhood and have a network extender for my Verizon phone.  He told me there is no network extender for Comcast.  He told me I'd have to use WiFi calling and my phone is apparently not able to do that.

Only reason I don't just get a new phone is; my iPhone 5 works perfectly well for what I need and I have a case my children gave me (it has a picture that means a lot to me).

Thanks

Official Employee

larryjunk wrote: mvenanzi and ComcastAmir,

Thanks for the quick response.  I also used the Comcast website and saw that my iPhone 5 was not compatible, however, I have been to the Xfinity store in King of Prussia, PA twice and spoke with an employee (the same person each time).  He assured me my iPhone 5 will work on the Xfinity network (he also told me has switched other Verizon iPhone 5 to Xfinity network).  The reason I did not switch plans, I get very poor reception in my neighborhood and have a network extender for my Verizon phone.  He told me there is no network extender for Comcast.  He told me I'd have to use WiFi calling and my phone is apparently not able to do that.

Only reason I don't just get a new phone is; my iPhone 5 works perfectly well for what I need and I have a case my children gave me (it has a picture that means a lot to me).

Thanks

I apologize for the misunderstanding, feel free to reach back out to me here if you need anything else. Have a good day. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!