Community Forum

insane tax

Contributor

insane tax

I was thinking of signing up for Xfinity mobile service.  After selecting the $12 GB per month plan I got a page with all sorts of additional tax.  The total of the additional taxes was $35!  Included was a state "transaction privilege tax" of $22 and a city "transaction privilege tax" of $8.  This is crazy.  Tax equal to 300% of the service cost?  Has anyone else experienced this? 

Contributor

Re: insane tax

@nmstough wrote:

I was thinking of signing up for Xfinity mobile service.  After selecting the $12 GB per month plan I got a page with all sorts of additional tax.  The total of the additional taxes was $35!  Included was a state "transaction privilege tax" of $22 and a city "transaction privilege tax" of $8.  This is crazy.  Tax equal to 300% of the service cost?  Has anyone else experienced this? 

You are taxed on the full purchase price of the phone.  It says this online and this is the way it is with all subsidized phones I've ever dealt with...

Contributor

@otis_bartleh wrote:

@nmstough wrote:

You are taxed on the full purchase price of the phone.  It says this online and this is the way it is with all subsidized phones I've ever dealt with...

This isnt tax on the phone itself. On the itemized listing it says (monthly) next to both these transactions privilege taxes - as well as many others.  So these are taxes one has to pay every month for the service.  

Contributor

@nmstough wrote:

This isnt tax on the phone itself. On the itemized listing it says (monthly) next to both these transactions privilege taxes - as well as many others.  So these are taxes one has to pay every month for the service.  

Gotcha, I didn't see anything like that so can't comment as to that...

Contributor

@nmstough wrote:

Can you provide a screen pic showing these?  I wasn't able to find anything like this..

Contributor

Take a look at the attached screenshot. This is scary. All this to be paid every month!
Capture.JPG
Contributor

@nmstough wrote:
Take a look at the attached screenshot. This is scary. All this to be paid every month!

Wow... I don't live in Arizona, so I can't speak as to the taxes there, but that seems pretty nuts, I'd call them and find out, cause I wouldn't sign up for it either with those kind of monthly taxes...

Regular Contributor

just as bad in Atlanta - they want

County Education/Marta/Homestead (monthly)  $34.77

deal breaker - deal ender!
Highlighted
Problem Solver

The original post was back in June. Since then, the OP has mentioned that these high amounts were one-time charges. Another poster said that monthly charges in Tucson were $2.57. See this thread:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Xfinity-Mobile-Taxes/m-p/2962300#M1990

I believe Xfinity labels these charges as "monthly" because the tax/fee category applies monthly, but that doesn't mean that the amount applies monthly. The monthly charge will be a small fraction of that amount.

Contributor

xfinity is just doing what your State government wants ,,, 

Contributor

Here is what I pay, I think we are in the same general area..  This is one phone for a full month and one phone for 10 days.. 

Capture.PNG

Contributor

Its an enormous amount of tax since this is paid on zero purchase, for instance if you have no charges on the account with very little data usage.  Anyway, check that you are not paying unnecessary city taxes.  I live in an unincorporated area and they were still charging city tax because there is a very small part of the zip code inside city limits.  I protested this and took it all the way up to the office of the President.  Finally they admitted their systems were applying tax at the zip code level with no attempt to distinguish the street address.  I got my city tax refunded for a year (in advance) because they said this was how long it would take them to adjust their systems.  I fully expect to have to revisit this at that time.  

Contributor

you will have to revisit it.. I live in Oro Valley, but because our zip codes come up as Tucson, we get charged the Tucson utility tax, happens on my electric bill as well..  

Contributor

It shouldnt.  Comcast has no business charging city tax to people not living in the city and therefore who had no say in voting for such taxes.  I've noticed that all sorts of online sellers get it right, amazon.com. walmart.com, etc.  They charge no city tax.  So why should Comcast get away with it?  I dont know about electric utility.  That could be different if you are actually contracting with a utility located in the city, or affiliated with the city.

Contributor

Arizonia , as beautiful as it is , should be renamed  Taxizonia , Im sure XM are charging the taxes that Taxizonia requests 

Official Employee

It shouldnt.  Comcast has no business charging city tax to people not living in the city and therefore who had no say in voting for such taxes.  I've noticed that all sorts of online sellers get it right, amazon.com. walmart.com, etc.  They charge no city tax.  So why should Comcast get away with it?  I dont know about electric utility.  That could be different if you are actually contracting with a utility located in the city, or affiliated with the city.

nmstough, we do not control how much you are taxed or how many taxes you pay on your bill. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Very cold here this morning.  I actually saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets.