Community Forum

iPhone 7: Calls immediately disconnect when I answer them on wifi calling

Frequent Visitor

iPhone 7: Calls immediately disconnect when I answer them on wifi calling

I activated wifi calling when it became available on my phone, but when someone calls and I answer it, the call is immediately dropped ("call failure").  I can make calls just fine.  I'm guessing this is a bug that needs to be corrected, but for the time being I've turned off this feature.  Is this a common/known issue?  

Problem Solver

Re: iPhone 7: Calls immediately disconnect when I answer them on wifi calling

Incoming WiFi calls generally have been working fine for me, but I just saw exactly what you describe. I tried two incoming calls and both of them dropped the moment I answered (with strong WiFi signal). However, I then tried four more incoming calls and they all connected fine.

I'm also using iPhone 7, but that might just be a coincidence.
Frequent Visitor

I suppose I wasn't totally clear:  not every single call would be dropped, but it happened often enough that I had to turn the feature off, especially since I use my phone for work and can't be routinely hanging up on clients . . . .  

Problem Solver

It sounds like we're seeing the same thing. I probably just hadn't noticed it yet because I don't receive many calls.

I ran a number of tests yesterday and I did see the problem a second time. Most of the day incoming WiFi calls worked fine. Then later in the day I saw this call failure problem again. The call rings normally but the instant I answer the call is disconnected and I see a "Call Failed" message on the phone. Once it was in this state, every incoming call failed in the same way (~10 attempts). I then made a successful outgoing call and incoming calls started working again.
Official Employee

I activated wifi calling when it became available on my phone, but when someone calls and I answer it, the call is immediately dropped ("call failure").  I can make calls just fine.  I'm guessing this is a bug that needs to be corrected, but for the time being I've turned off this feature.  Is this a common/known issue?  

zippityz, that's odd. Are you connected to your home network? Have you attempted to connect to another wiFi signal to see if the problem persists? 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I've only used this feature on my home network.  What Mike described is I believe what happened to me:  once the first incoming call failed, the next few did as well.  But I could call out just fine.  

New Poster

That is happening to me as well except all my incoming calls are failing when I am on wifi calling at my house.  I haven't been able to answer a single call for days now. I can call out and call people back but when I try to answer the call, it fails.  It was sporatic at first but in the last week it's been every incoming call.  I can't trun off this feature because I don't have a strong signal at my house.  I have to use wifi calling.

New Poster

Exactly the same thing. I activated my iphone 7 today and ported my number in. Outgoing calls worked fine (to some custom service number), but all incoming ones failed.

New Poster

I'm seeing this intermittently as well. No other issues with my wifi network when it happens, and restarting the iPhone will fix it for a while.

I'm also seeing a separate issue where the phone drops wifi calls when the phone switches between 3G and LTE. This happens a lot at my house because both the LTE and 3G signals are weak (which is why I rely on wifi calling). It doesn't make sense that a switch in the cell network would cause a wifi call to drop, but I've been paying attention since I first noticed it, and have observed it happen more than a dozen times.

Official Employee

I'm seeing this intermittently as well. No other issues with my wifi network when it happens, and restarting the iPhone will fix it for a while.

I'm also seeing a separate issue where the phone drops wifi calls when the phone switches between 3G and LTE. This happens a lot at my house because both the LTE and 3G signals are weak (which is why I rely on wifi calling). It doesn't make sense that a switch in the cell network would cause a wifi call to drop, but I've been paying attention since I first noticed it, and have observed it happen more than a dozen times.

peteallen, have you tried dialing cellular data before initiating a wiFi call? Are you see the same drops? Have you also done a factory reset? 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

have you tried dialing cellular data before initiating a wiFi call?

What does that mean?

Official Employee

Whoops, I meant disabling

New Poster

Yes, I have tried putting the phone in airplane mode and then enabling wifi. In my limited testing, I have not observed any call drops in that configuration.

However, it's not convenient because I have to remember to disable airplane mode when I leave the house, and when I return I have to re-enable it, then enable wifi and bluetooth. I'm hoping that's not the long-term solution.

Official Employee

Yes, I have tried putting the phone in airplane mode and then enabling wifi. In my limited testing, I have not observed any call drops in that configuration.

However, it's not convenient because I have to remember to disable airplane mode when I leave the house, and when I return I have to re-enable it, then enable wifi and bluetooth. I'm hoping that's not the long-term solution.

peteallen, definitely not a long term solution. Just a test. Do you have the latest iOS? Have you tried a factory reset? 

KenF

New Poster

I do have the latest iOS (11.3).

I have not performed (and would prefer not to perform) a factory reset. Do you expect that would fix it?

New Poster

I take that back. I just noticed that 11.3.1 has been released. I'm installing it now.

Do you know if anything changed in that release that is likely to impact wifi calling?

Official Employee

If the issue is tied to some type of iOS, a factory reset would help us rule that out. Additionally, a factory reset is a troubleshooting step we take before discussing possibly doing a warranty exchange. 

iOS 11.3.1 was a patch for added security measures and corrected touch screen issues for iPhone users who had them replaced by a third party. The security measures may impact WiFi calling (can't say for certain), so I encourage the update. 

KenF