Community Forum

iMessage confusion

Contributor

iMessage confusion

From Xfinity 

Text away! Your text messages—including SMS and MMS—are covered in the unlimited nationwide texting that's included with all XFINITY Mobile lines. They do not count toward your data usage.       If you're an iPhone user, your iMessages do count as data.

IF YOU’RE AN iPHONE USER, YOUR iMESSAGES DO COUNT AS DATA?  LAST LINE.

If Xfinity sells iPhones why should you be charged for using data on a phone you purchased, if you have iMessage turned on?

How much data do you use sending an iMessage?  Is it sent by cellular or WiFi?

Also I have a question about Cellular Data, should it be on or off?  I know that you cannot send MMS unless it is on.  This is my first iPhone and I have a iPad so I would like to leave iMessage on but I don’t want to use my data up.

Official Employee

Re: iMessage confusion

Surf2826, all carriers consider iMessages as data rather than a text message. If you are concerned about data usage, you can disable iMessage. The intent of iMessage during it's conception was to save users money when text messages were part of a limited quantity back in the day. Now most carriers group talk and text into an unlimited bracket. The actual data usage is minimal. 

iMessage sent by WiFi does not count against your data plan. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Hi ComcastKenF
I understand if I am on WiFi at home I will not use any data sending an iMessage.
What about sending an iMessage with a pic MMS?
Also do I need to have cellular data turned on or off to send an iMessage with a pic?
I know that if I send a message with a pic MMS (not iMessage) it has to be on.
Should cellular data be left on or off? What’s the point of cellular data?

Official Employee

MMS recquires data connection to send. It doesn't matter if it is cellular or WiFi. MMS will send if iMessage is on or off. 

If you send a pic message outside of iMessage, you need to be connected to either cellular data or wiFi. 

Cellular data provides data to your phone when you don't have access to wiFi. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I use my phone mostly in my home on WiFi.  I know that to send a regular MMS not iMessage, I need cellular data turned on when connected by WiFi.  If I don’t have cellular data turned on I get a message not sent.  What about iMessage’s, do I need cellular data turned on when connected by WiFi?   This is what I don’t understand, I need cellular data turned on even though I am on WiFi to send MMS.

Official Employee

Surf2826, I think I'm beginning to understand. 

Well it isn't possible to have both WiFi and cellular data running at the same time for iPhones. So if you're sending an iMessage MMS via wiFi and cellular data is turned on, it will be sent via WiFi as WiFi is prioritized over cellular data when it is connected. 

You should be able to send an MMS via iMessage while on wiFi without any issue. Are you saying that is the case for you? You're unable to send that way? 

KenF

Contributor

Hi Ken

Cellular is on I have 4 bars.  I am not talking about cellular I am questioning the button cellular data in settings.   I need the button cellular data turned on to send a MMS via a WiFi connection, regular message not iMessage.   Do I need the cellular data button on to send iMessage MMS via WiFi?

If iMessage MMS sent WiFi will I incur data charges.  I just don’t understand Xfinity message iMessage’s will count as data.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

No, you don't need cellular data enabled to send any type of iMessage via WiFi. There's nothing special about iMessage. It's treated like any other type of data. If you're on WiFi, it uses WiFi and won't count against your data usage.

Standard MMS is a special case, as you mention. It always uses the cellular network and therefore requires cellular data to be enabled. But it doesn't count against your data usage and is always free.
Contributor

Thank you Mike 

Your answer makes sense to me.

Contributor

Mike 

So as long as I am on WiFi sending MMS either regular message or iMessage with 

the cellular data button on I will not incur data charges.  I would only incur charges if 

I was on cellular not WiFi.  Is this correct?

Regular Contributor

@Surf2826 wrote:

Mike 

So as long as I am on WiFi sending MMS either regular message or iMessage with 

the cellular data button on I will not incur data charges.  I would only incur charges if 

I was on cellular not WiFi.  Is this correct?

Surf, that is correct, but you're still lumping concepts toghther. I have read this entire thread and your lumping of concepts do not help you fully understand. 

As you said yourself, MMS alway requires a celluar connection to send. So if you're out in a dessert retreat with access to wifi in the resort but no celluar coverage, you will be able to send iMessages but will NOT be able to send MMS. 

XM will NOT charge you for any MMS. So let's completely get rid of asking about MMS. Whether or not you're on wifi or celluar, XM will NOT charge you anything for sending MMS.

So now let's isolate to your question of iMessages. If you have WIFI -- whether at home or at a store with wifi or at a friend's house connected to his/her wifi -- then XM will not be charging you for the iMessage. In those instances, iMesasges will be sent over WIFI. It's only when you are NOT connected to any wifi at all that iMessages will be charged because the iMessage was sent via data over celluar.

If your primary concern is to keep your data usage to a minimum, then I suggest you work with XM to help you completely turn off the iMessage feature so that you're never charged any celluar data. 

Hope this helped. 

Contributor

Hi Lakino 

I want to keep iMessage on as I have an iPad and I can get and reply to my texts on it.

Regular Contributor

@Surf2826 wrote:

Hi Lakino 

I want to keep iMessage on as I have an iPad and I can get and reply to my texts on it.

Ok. Then if you don't want to pay for data on XM, make sure the little wifi icon is lit when using iMessages. If it's not lit then you'll be charged data when sending iMessages. 

Contributor

Hi Lakino 

My iPad is only WiFi so as long as I have an internet connection I will be ok.

iMessages come in blue and regular messages come in green.  So if I see someone sending 

me a iMessage I will know what to do.   Thanks for your help.