Community Forum

how do I know if my Iphone has been unlocked?

New Poster

how do I know if my Iphone has been unlocked?

how do I know if my Iphone has been unlocked? I purchased two Iphone 7+ phones and paid the full price upfront last september. I'm leaving for a trip to Europe in a few weeks and checked with Xfinity mobile person on chat and he said both my phones were locked! He looked up the information and said That the phones were paid in full and that he would unlock them right away. I need to verify that he did in fact unlock them! I was surprised they were locked as I paid for unlocked phones. Now I'm nervous, nothing like getting to europe and find my phones to be locked. I have already purchased a global sim from Celluar Abroad and inten to use them while in Europe. So, how do I certify the phones are unlocked?

Official Employee

Re: how do I know if my Iphone has been unlocked?

Hello Kathytokuda, you must complete the unlock process on your end once we unlock the phone on our end. Did you get a code in your email or from the representative you spoke with to complete the unlocking process? If not please you will have to obtain a code from us to unlock the equipment, for further assistance please send me a private message with your account number, phone number, IMEI number, and your full name so that we can get this taken care of.

Regular Contributor

Others may (will) correct me if I am wrong. There is no unlock code for Iphones, XM will unlock it. After XM contacts you that it has unlocked your phone try a non XM sim card, if it works your phone is unlocked. There are online services that you pay a couple bucks and they will send you an email with all the details on the status of your Iphone. I used it & printed it out  to use when I sold my 5s.

Contributor

Just a suggestion; after going through the XM unlocking process, to make 100% sure and avoid unpleasant surprises, you may be able to test phone with an inexpensive no contract prepaid SIM card.  Check with XM first, they may have a better suggestion.

Good Luck.  Would be great if you can let this public Forum know if your phone worked OK on your trip.  Thanks

Regular Contributor

I have been told that once a phone has been unlocked by the original provider, it can not be locked again.

Official Employee

davdri wrote: Others may (will) correct me if I am wrong. There is no unlock code for Iphones, XM will unlock it. After XM contacts you that it has unlocked your phone try a non XM sim card, if it works your phone is unlocked. There are online services that you pay a couple bucks and they will send you an email with all the details on the status of your Iphone. I used it & printed it out  to use when I sold my 5s.

You're correct, IPhones are the only devices that do no take a code to unlock. All other phones will require a pin number to complete the unlocking process, for more information on how to unlock your IPhone please click on this link and if you have an Android phone please click here

Frequent Visitor

I can confirm davdri's post.

I requested my iPhone to be unlocked (I met all the requirements) and it was all done on XM's end. They gave me an Apple link to complete the procedure on my end that involved backing up and restoring my iPhone but I was too afraid to do that for fear of data loss so I skipped that part. I then read that if you just put a sim from another carrier in and don't get an error message, then the unlock took. I had a nano sim from a previous carrier (Cricket) and when I inserted that into my iPhone 7, I did not get any error messages. The former carrier's name appeared at the upper left corner of the phone. If the phone was still locked, a message telling you to insert a valid sim pops up.

Contributor

If you complete the procedure and restore the phone through iTunes you will receive the message Congratulations your phone is unlocked.

Official Employee

wpaulo wrote:  If you complete the procedure and restore the phone through iTunes you will receive the message Congratulations your phone is unlocked.

John1455, have you completed this action? If you need further assistance please reach back out to me here.