Community Forum

eSIM support in iPhone Xs

New Poster

eSIM support in iPhone Xs

Is Xfinity Mobile going to support eSIM in iPhone Xs for dual SIMs?

New Poster

Re: eSIM support in iPhone Xs

I’d love to find out if they will also
New Poster

The press release I read said it will be available with a free software upgrade later this fall

https://corporate.comcast.com/stories/iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max-arrive-at-xfinity-mobile-on-september-...
Regular Contributor

I wonder if the reference to eSIM in the press release is not simply a statement of the phone's technical capabilities rather than a guarantee that Xfinity Mobile will support the feature.

In the first instance,  iOS 12 has not yet been released and enabling the eSIM will require a software update which is scheduled to be released at some point later this year.

Furthermore, of the 4 Tier 1 carriers, Sprint will not be supporting eSIM and it is difficult at this stage to know which if any MVNOs will support it.  Also, even if a given MVNO supports the feature in principle it is far from obvious that it would have the resources to resolve issues that might arise for a customer in trying to get all the features that should work on a dual sim phone operating properly.  

As of now, Apple is still showing the following list of carrier partners and features.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039#usa

It may be too early to draw any firm conclusions about how or whether eSIM will work on Xfinity Mobile.  As a minimum, it might be prudent to wait until a Comcast employee provides an authoritative answer on what the plans are for eSIM on Xfinity Mobile.  

Contributor

The fact that Xfinity Mobile even appears on the page as supporting the phone and its features gives me hope.

New Poster

Just 100% guessing here, but I doubt it's very high on their list of priorities.

eSIM, to me, seems most useful for the short-term, prepaid use case.  That's not a use case that Xfinity Mobile serves.  

Of course, on an unlocked phone, you should absolutley be able to use the eSIM capability to get service from another carrier (e.g. if traveling) but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Xfinity Mobile to issue eSIMs of their own.  

If eSIMs really take off, then Xfinity Mobile will eventually have to follow the pack, and it would make BYOD much easier (and probably save XM a little money, from not having to buy phyical SIM cards.)  But given how much trouble XM has been having with BYOD already, again, not holding my breath.

Valued Contributor

Note that eSIM is the future.  If the eSIM is successful in the new iPhones,  Apple will most likely ditch the physical SIM tray altogether, probably in the next iPhone iteration (iPhone 11 or 12).  Apple will be more than happy to ditch that SIM tray and utilize that space for something else (may be a microSD slot?).  XM and all other MVNOs would have no other choice but to support them in the long run.  Again, these are all speculations...

New Poster

That would pave the way for Apple Watch and iPad support, which both use eSIM Smiley Happy
Frequent Visitor

I asked about this on a call today and was told that tablet and wearable support should be coming before the year ends.
New Poster

I spoke with a rep last week who states eSIM support should roll out for the new iPhones early November.

Official Employee

Hello all. Initially, there are only three wireless carriers that support eSIM in the United States - AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. Xfinity Mobile will support the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR through the SIM card slot using a physical Xfinity Mobile SIM card.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks so much. Do you know if XFM will support new BYOD devices ala iPhone Upgrade Program?

Official Employee

TheGoodalls wrote: Thanks so much. Do you know if XFM will support new BYOD devices ala iPhone Upgrade Program?

Hi, are you asking if new IPhones are eligible for BYOD? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

What are you talking about? This makes no sense. Will Xfinity support eSim or not? Saying Xfinity Mobile will support eSim with a physical Xfinity Sim doesn't make sense. An eSim is electronic/digital not physical.

Valued Contributor

@rogerlwoods2007 wrote:

What are you talking about? This makes no sense. Will Xfinity support eSim or not? Saying Xfinity Mobile will support eSim with a physical Xfinity Sim doesn't make sense. An eSim is electronic/digital not physical.

Just note that Apple has to first support eSIM before XM can support eSIM.  Apple just released (yesterday, 10/30) the software update to enable eSIM.  eSIM is supported from iOS 12.1 

"eSIM will be available later this year through a software update. Use of eSIM requires a wireless service plan (which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after contract expiration). Not all carriers support eSIM. Use of eSIM in iPhone may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. To learn more, visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209044."

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAmir wrote:

TheGoodalls wrote: Thanks so much. Do you know if XFM will support new BYOD devices ala iPhone Upgrade Program?

Hi, are you asking if new IPhones are eligible for BYOD? 

I have having this issue. iPhone XS Max purchased via Iphone Upgrade Program. According to XFM, it is not compatible... which makes zero sense considering there is only ONE model of the XS Max - the SAME model sold by XFM.

Regular Contributor

Is it not the case that iPhones purchased through this program are only usable on Tier 1 carriers until the balance is paid off?

Frequent Visitor

Not according to the details on Apple.com. Phones sold through them are unlocked and you can switch to any carrier at any time. Also, the new XS and XS Max only have one model a piece, that is compatible with ALL MAJOR CARRIERS. Meaning the old days of a gsm or cdma capable device are over.
D431031A-CDCD-42B0-A5C5-E54A937812AD.jpeg
6640D970-FFB9-40C3-BC7A-791AAE2FC46A.jpeg
Regular Contributor

I agree that the phones are unlocked and will work with "your carrier" if that is one of the big four.  That is indeed what Apple states.   However, working on any of those four does not necessarily mean the phone will be usable on any MVNO as Apple could prevent that as long as there is a balance outstanding.

If this is true, it would explain your problem since the phone would show as being ineligible for use on an MVNO such as Xfinity Mobile as long as there is an outstanding balance.

Apple should be able to answer the question and the details should be in whatever documents you signed when upgrading.   

New Poster

I have two iPhones that I purchased throughout the apple program. One of them which is an iPhone 8 was able to switch from sprint to xfinity mobile but my iPhone XS has not been able to, the reason being told to me is that it is not compatible. One tech said it’s because I purchased the unlock iPhone from apple but that is not a rue since the 8 was
Purchased that way and was put on xfinity.... please provide some type of solution to resolve my issue
Regular Visitor

In trying to get this thread back on topic ... are there no moderators to reroute off-topic replies?

Verizon is telling its employees that it now expects to launch Dual SIM activations for eSIM and physical SIMs in early December.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/21/verizon-memo-dual-sim-esim-december/

I hope this trickles out to XM! Dual-SIM is the only reason I had to upgrade to the XS!
New Poster

Any updates on eSIM support on XM for iPhones XS, XR, or XS Max? I'll love to have both XM and Verizon in my XM iPhone XR, or perhaps Google fi and XM. iOS 12.1.1 is out now and we some resolution here.
Frequent Visitor

It appears Verizon will be rolling out esim support starting December 7th, hopefully Xfinity Mobile will follow soon.  

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/06/verizon-esim-expecteddecember-7/

New Poster

Verizon released it today so hopefully it will come sooner rather than later!
Official Employee

LostConstruct wrote: Verizon released it today so hopefully it will come sooner rather than later! 

Xfinity mobile does not support Esim at this time, please check back around February for another update. 

New Poster

I asked about eSIM support today when I was setting up for the first time, and the support person didn’t even know what an eSIM was. :-(

The iPhone XS and Max support five eSIM, but only one can be active at a time. If we can have five of them, we must be missing something about how we should be using them.

For the time being I have my T-Mobile on an eSIM and will have Xfinity on the physical as I try it out for coverage.