Community Forum

Xfinity mobile support restrictions for VoLTE HD Voice calls

Regular Visitor

Xfinity mobile support restrictions for VoLTE HD Voice calls

I've placed a preorder for the iPhone X and am excited about potential savings with xfinity mobile vs AT&T, my current carrier. 

In browsing the website I read that VoLTE is only supported with calls to XM and Verizon wireless numbers. Is this Verizon's HD Voice policy? Or a limitation imposed by Comcast?

I multi-task quite a bit currently using LTE data (not wifi) while listeing to conference calls and would be disappointed if this is no longer an option. 

Can anybody confirm? Or know if this policy is current / under review? Thanks. 

From the support site on XM:

Can I make VoLTE calls with people on other networks?

XFINITY Mobile customers can make and receive VoLTE calls with customers from XFINITY Mobile and Verizon Wireless, as long as they’re in supported locations, with supported devices, and with capabilities turned on.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity mobile support restrictions for VoLTE HD Voice calls

Which benefit of VoLTE are you concerned with, 1) higher quality HD voice or 2) the ability to use data while on a call? I haven't experimented with this very much, but I think what they mean is that you'll only get the higher quality HD voice calls when connecting to another phone which is also using Verizon's network. In terms of the simultaneous voice/data benefit, that should work regardless of the destination. I just confirmed that I was able to browse the web while on a call to a landline (with wifi turned off). I don't believe there is any extra VoLTE limitation imposed by Comcast.

Bronze Problem Solver

@EinChitown wrote:
I've placed a preorder for the iPhone X and am excited about potential savings with xfinity mobile vs AT&T, my current carrier. 

In browsing the website I read that VoLTE is only supported with calls to XM and Verizon wireless numbers. Is this Verizon's HD Voice policy? Or a limitation imposed by Comcast?

I multi-task quite a bit currently using LTE data (not wifi) while listeing to conference calls and would be disappointed if this is no longer an option. 

Can anybody confirm? Or know if this policy is current / under review? Thanks. 

From the support site on XM: Can I make VoLTE calls with people on other networks?

XFINITY Mobile customers can make and receive VoLTE calls with customers from XFINITY Mobile and Verizon Wireless, as long as they’re in supported locations, with supported devices, and with capabilities turned on.

Verizon seems to have the same restriction:

If you're not able to make or receive an HD Voice call, it may be due to one of the following reasons:

• HD Voice isn't activated on the line that you're calling
  • VoLTE is Call set to Off on your phone or on the phone you're calling
  • Either you or the person you're calling isn't using an HD Voice-capable phone at the time of the call
  • Either your phone or the phone you're calling isn't connected to the Verizon 4G LTE network at the time of the call

Source: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/hd-voice-for-android-faqs/

Regular Visitor

That is excellent! Thanks for confirming the ability to place late voice calls while using Ltd data! That was my concern.
Regular Visitor

Good to know. Thank you!