Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile vs. Verizon, specifically with iPhone

New Poster

Xfinity Mobile vs. Verizon, specifically with iPhone

I have some questions about Xfinity Mobile compared to Verizon:

1. Are there any features of the iPhone that work on Verizon but do not work with Xfinity Mobile?

2. If I buy a phone from Xfinity and decide to switch back to Verizon (for instance, if I move to a place that does not offer Comcast), will my Xfinity phone work on the Verizon network exactly as a Verizon phone would?

3. What else will be different with Xfinity Mobile from Verizon?

I did do some searches before -- and after -- making the switch, but until tonight, I had not seen the thread about features that do not work with Xfinity Mobile. (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Switched-from-Verizon-Wireless-to-Xfinity-Mobile-now-BA...)

Can anyone help me, please?

Tags (3)
Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Mobile vs. Verizon, specifically with iPhone

Xfinity Mobile does not currently support WiFi calling.  Although they plan to add it in the future.

You can take your XM device to another carrier as long as it is paid off and you have gotten a SIM/Carrier unlock code from XM.

New Poster

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.  Very good especially to know that I would be able to take the phone to another carrier.

Hoping very much to get help with the other questions.  I want to be certain I am making the right decision for my needs. 

Problem Solver

This is a user/members forum.  And it's very, very good at providing feedback.  Welcome to the forum.

Official Employee

Hey suzanne01748, 

1. As cam30era mentioned, we do not currently support wiFi calling but hope to soon. Additionally, we do not support BYOD (Bring your own device) yet. We also do not support cell phone boosters or extenders. 

2. If the device is unlocked, then yes, you'd be able to use the device on another network. As far as specific features that Verizon offers on it's network, I recommend reaching out to them to see if they offer similar features for device purchased outside of their company. For example, APN settings would have to be readjusted. 

3. Is there a specific concern you have? 

KenF

Regular Contributor

I keep reading that phones on Xfinity Mobile will have access to xfinitywifi hot spots...that's wifi calling, isn't it? I guess I don't understand the difference between being able to use xfinity wifi hot spots for calls, etc. and wifi calling...Doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I can't switch to Xfinity Mobile until wifi calling is supported, and just xfinity wifi hotspots aren't enough for me...needs to be able to use my home wifi.

On the BYOP issue, I have an "unlocked" iPhone 8 currently on Verizon. It should be slam-dunk for me to move to Xfinity Mobile. I really don't see why this would be unsupported, since Xfinity Mobile sells iPhone 8's. All iPhone 8's are equivalent, same radios, etc. This has to be more related to Xfinity wanting to make money selling phones than the difficulty of supporting phones that are already supported *smile*.

Valued Contributor

xfinity mobile phones' access to xfinitywifi hotspots is for internet only. That's not wifi calling, as wifi calling is not currently supported. I suspect what you read about using xfinitywifi hotspots for calls is actually the Voice2Go service, for xfinity home phones.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/phone/voice-2go-faqs/

RogerSC wrote:

I keep reading that phones on Xfinity Mobile will have access to xfinitywifi hot spots...that's wifi calling, isn't it? I guess I don't understand the difference between being able to use xfinity wifi hot spots for calls, etc. and wifi calling...Doesn't make sense to me.

Official Employee

I keep reading that phones on Xfinity Mobile will have access to xfinitywifi hot spots...that's wifi calling, isn't it? I guess I don't understand the difference between being able to use xfinity wifi hot spots for calls, etc. and wifi calling...Doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I can't switch to Xfinity Mobile until wifi calling is supported, and just xfinity wifi hotspots aren't enough for me...needs to be able to use my home wifi.

On the BYOP issue, I have an "unlocked" iPhone 8 currently on Verizon. It should be slam-dunk for me to move to Xfinity Mobile. I really don't see why this would be unsupported, since Xfinity Mobile sells iPhone 8's. All iPhone 8's are equivalent, same radios, etc. This has to be more related to Xfinity wanting to make money selling phones than the difficulty of supporting phones that are already supported *smile*.

RogerSC, WiFi calling is using WiFi connections to make phone calls when you don't have a good signal. For example, places like basements don't have good cell reception. So when a call is made, it is usually dropped or doesn't connect. With wiFi calling, you can make a phone call in places like that while connected to the WiFi and the call be successful. 

While we do not support phones purchased from other places, I have seen some members of the forums bring phones to XFINITY Mobile. The issue with that, is whenever there is an issue with features, troubleshooting, etc, we do not have the systems in place to fully resolve because we do not support devices purchased outside of XFINITY Mobile. 

New Poster

I just switched from att to xfinity mobile under the promise that it used Verizon's network, but am disappointed to report that the download and upload speeds over xfinity as measured by online speed tests is usually half or a third of what my friends on Verizon get using the same tests at the same time in the same place. This despite signing up for the $45 unlimited data plans. Is that expected?
Problem Solver

New Poster

The out-of-spec APN-based latency and corresponding network mgmt issues are interesting but should not greatly contribute to throughput numbers (as also explained in the target thread), so most users should not fear this - but definitely it should be fixed, and users doing certain things might be affected, e.g. those things mentioned in that thread (notably, cell-based VPN and gaming).

In the context of this thread, the important thing to note is Verizon devices currently get much better typical latency than XFINITY Mobile devices even though they share the same cell infrastructure.  Hopefully XFINITY Mobile will fix this soon and can then say that it is not an issue - or in plain English "VPN users and gamers will see no difference when using XFINITY Mobile".

Contributor

Two things I've noticed on my iPhone 8 on Xfinity Mobile coming from Verizon.

1. Latency is TERRIBLE on Xfinity Mobile.  You tap a link on a website, and it takes about 5 times as long to respond as on Verizon.  This makes your phone feel super slow even though the phone is fast, it's the network thats slow. My typical latency (ping times) when on Verizon was 35-50ms.  On Xfinity Mobile it's 140-250ms.  Even worse is that Xfinity Mobile's terms of service say they'll do 100ms or better- I've never seen a ping less than 140ms on my phone from any location.

2. You know the Verizon 1X network that your phone connects to when you're out in rural areas?  Verizon's coverage that they're known for?  On Xfinity Mobile 1X does not work.  It shows up as "Xfinity Mobile 1X" at the top of my phone screen but calls, texts, and data simply do not work on 1X.

Simpy put-  Coverage is not as good as Verizon.  Performance is not as good as Verizon.

Official Employee

Datadriven and Heronn, its sounds like you both are experiencing signal issues that is affecting service. As far as the APN is concerned, that setting will not be changed. I can take a look for both of you if you send me a private message with your account info. 

New Poster

I guess I am not seeing a specific need for wi-fi calls to be supported when you have unlimited talk and text over their 4g lte network. Am i missing why this is important? Nevermind..... I got it. Its for when signal is weak...gotcha...

New Poster

If your Verizon/Xfinity tower coverage is poor within your house (as mine is, 1 to 2 bars), you can call over your high speed wifi instead.  This works great for me.  Calls are clear and undropped.  

without this feature- you just can't make calls through your wifi and regular cell calling is iffy.  Kinda' important if you live in my house.  

Contributor

Would like to confirm that my issues are not signal-driven as 

Official Employee

Would like to confirm that my issues are not signal-driven as  ComcastKenF suggests.  After working with  ComcastKenF and Tier2 support, they both gave up and could not give me a reason latency on my iPhone 8 is never below 130ms, and why 1X does not work.  

According to tier 2, latency and 1x coverage is based on your proximity to the nearest tower. 

New Poster

Hi KenF, 

What are cellphone boosters or extenders?

Thanks,

Official Employee

Hi KenF, 

What are cellphone boosters or extenders?

Thanks,

Gr8ness4all, they are devices that are used to increase/improve your cell phone reception.

Frequent Visitor

To the person concerned about 128ms latency, that is imperceptible if you are using your phone for data. On a voice call you might, but typically not, notice voice quality degradation, especially if the delay is consistent. Measurable quality of a call degrades rapidly where the mouth-to-ear delay latency exceeds 200 milliseconds.<br><br>If the delay is inconsistent (jitter) voice quality might be affected. <br><br>I just got XM. I ran speed test on iPhone got over 69 Mbps. Outstanding. Data rocks. The delay was 128ms. I get 4 steady bars. Voice calls are excellent. Brought my phone over from Sprint. Data was 1/10th the speed and I got only 1-2,bars, voice calls stunk.
Problem Solver

@ Holmes66 wrote:
To the person concerned about 128ms latency, that is imperceptible if you are using your phone for data.

This is absolutely not true. Latency is a really big deal on data networks and is too often overlooked. Most data usage involves multiple round-trip TCP messages to accomplish anything. That latency adds up on each round-trip. Just loading a basic webpage might involve something like 10 round-trips. With 10 round-trips, 128ms vs. 30ms latency means 1.28 seconds to load the web page vs. 0.3 seconds. That's not imperceptible. Plus, if you throw other factors like retries due to packet loss into the equation, latency can really kill your throughput.

In my experience, I see Xfinity Mobile latencies that frequently exceed 200ms and are almost never under 140ms. The overall general performance is definitely noticeably sluggish. One factor is that I am on the west coast, and we've documented in other threads that the roundabout Xfinity APN routing results in longer latencies on the west coast.

Frequent Visitor

A 1.28 second delay loading a web page is imperceptible to most people when the bandwidth when, as in my case is 69Mbps. That high a bandwidth covers a multitude of sins.

It isn't that long ago when a company of 100 people were using a T1, 1.544kbps per second to provide internet access to all of them.

BTW I am a telecom and Cisco cetified engineer. Most of the delay experienced is propagation delay when you have that high a bandwidth. It takes time for each router on the network to process a packet. Get on our computer and do a traceroute. It will show you the delay at east hop between your computer and the destination IP address. Like this:

traceroute: Warning: yahoo.com has multiple addresses; using 98.139.180.180

traceroute to yahoo.com (98.139.180.180), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1  10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1)  1.754 ms  2.067 ms  3.015 ms

2  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  1.498 ms  1.469 ms  1.421 ms

3  96.120.13.89 (96.120.13.89)  9.471 ms  10.236 ms  12.847 ms

4  ae-108-rur201.littleton.co.denver.comcast.net (68.86.104.5)  19.633 ms  18.975 ms  11.470 ms

5  ae-18-ar01.denver.co.denver.comcast.net (162.151.50.149)  12.583 ms  13.283 ms  20.553 ms

6  lag-16.ear2.denver1.level3.net (4.68.63.165)  11.622 ms  10.298 ms  10.500 ms

7  * * *

8  yahoo-inc.ear2.newyork1.level3.net (4.14.4.250)  72.448 ms  72.723 ms  80.315 ms

9  et-19-0-0.pat2.bfz.yahoo.com (216.115.97.105)  68.971 ms

unknown-72-30-223-x.yahoo.com (72.30.223.5)  72.779 ms

unknown-216-115-104-x.yahoo.com (216.115.104.77)  69.200 ms

10  unknown-72-30-223-x.yahoo.com (72.30.223.51)  70.358 ms  71.574 ms

et-19-1-0.msr2.bf1.yahoo.com (74.6.227.141)  73.520 ms

11  et-19-0-0.clr1-a-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com (74.6.122.33)  72.043 ms

unknown-74-6-122-x.yahoo.com (74.6.122.91)  72.480 ms

et-0-1-0.clr1-a-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com (74.6.122.13)  72.955 ms

12  po8.fab6-1-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com (72.30.22.43)  73.644 ms

po7.fab3-1-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com (72.30.22.5)  73.209 ms

po7.fab7-1-gdc.bf1.yahoo.com (72.30.22.13)  71.245 ms

13  po-14.bas1-7-prd.bf1.yahoo.com (98.139.129.225)  71.063 ms

po-9.bas1-7-prd.bf1.yahoo.com (98.139.129.145)  68.982 ms

po-9.bas2-7-prd.bf1.yahoo.com (98.139.129.147)  72.843 ms

14  * * *

15  *

Problem Solver

@ Holmes66 wrote:

A 1.28 second delay loading a web page is imperceptible to most people when the bandwidth when, as in my case is 69Mbps. That high a bandwidth covers a multitude of sins.

It isn't that long ago when a company of 100 people were using a T1, 1.544kbps per second to provide internet access to all of them.

BTW I am a telecom and Cisco cetified engineer. Most of the delay experienced is propagation delay when you have that high a bandwidth.

I guess we have different definitions of imperceptible. An extra second or two to load a web page is definitely perceptible in my book.

Your argument about propagation delay dominating when you have high bandwidth is exactly my point. High bandwidth can't compensate for high latency in most cases. In the example above, you're stuck with at least a 1.28 second delay no matter how high your bandwidth is. It requires a lower latency to reduce that time. For most mobile phone applications, I'd rather have low latency than high bandwidth.

Yes, we've run traceroutes and that's how we've identified the APN routing issue that results in much higher latency for Xfinity Mobile than for Verizon customers. See Almighty188's description near the bottom of this thread and the original part of that thread:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Re-XFinity-Mobile-data-network-latency-not-within-published/m-p/3032229#U3032229

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XFinity-Mobile-data-network-latency-not-within-published/m-p/2978601

Also, you had a typo there, a T1 is 1.544Mbps, as I'm sure you know.

Frequent Visitor

We are talking about less than a net second delay. About two blinks of your eyes.

If you have to pay Verizon’s exorbitant rates to overcome that amount of time to download a webpage you have more money than sense.

Especially given that most users use WiFi most of the time. I certainly do. I expect to use less than a GIG of XM LTE data per month.

$12....... Versus around $75 for Verizon.

Knock yourself out.
New Poster

Now months later we still experience the latency issue. It makes the phone feel super slow compared to my Verizon connection. I came to the same conclusion that the connection to the APN is the bottleneck. Coming from the West Coast, the APN is located on the East Coast / Atlanta region which makes all traffic being routed through there. Result: >150ms latency on everything you do (compared to 30-40ms on Verizon). Really really makes a huge difference, especially comparing iPhone 8 side-by-side. 

New Poster

It does now yeah!

New Poster

I have noticed the latency is higher and slower download/upload speeds when comparing to AT&T but not significantly enough to make me scream. 

Latency 130 ms

Download 13.5 Mbps

Upload 9.24 Mbps

We are saving money, that is the main idea behind going with Xfinity Mobile on my end.  I am on WiFi most of the time and when I am using Xfinity Mobile (Verizion).

If you are gaming on your phone that could cause an issue or if you are using your phone as a hotspot for gaming but other than that it is not too bad.  Who knows maybe if more poeple hop onto the Xfinity Mobile bandwagon Comcast will invest and makes things faster (not sure if that is even an option, maybe what we get is what is expected based on how Xfinity Mobile utilizes Verizion Network and Only Verizion customers get priority, but I could be wrong)

New Poster

I don't know about you guys, but I am coming from a dial-up internet years (46 yrs old) which is waiting a few minutes to download a simple page. So, couple seconds delay is nothing for me Smiley Happy I understand you guys are pro, but I couldn't stop laughing at certain comments )

New Poster

I have been using Xfinity Mobile for 1 week so far and to be honest I can't tell the difference between AT&T service I used before and Xfinity Mobile other than my bill is 50% lower now :-).

We went from $95 a month to $48 (I am assuming my usage will be same it was with AT&T which was around 4GB of DATA a month).

New Poster

Xfinity mobile is a scam  basically they want you to buy a mobile phone from them.  The $12 a month is total bullpoop and soon they will be jacking up the price. Stay with your current provider if you are happy with them.    Jdi do perdle!!

@RogerSC wrote:

Frequent Visitor

Ridiculous. I switched from Sprint last December. Eight months.

Between being on my own WiFi and Xfinity Hotspots all over the place I have gotten by with 1GB every month. With unused data to spare.

And I actually get top quality calls at home instead of the horrible call quality with Sprint.
New Poster

I quit Sprint a very long time ago... it is amazing that they managed to be the worst in all these years. At least they get credit for being consistent LOL!!
Frequent Visitor

I brought my unlocked Sprint iPhone 7 over to XM last December. The XM store had me up and running in about 30 minutes. <br><br>Dumped terrible Sprint service, am saving a bundle and haven’t looked back.
Frequent Visitor

Why do you think you need WiFi calling?

It only comes into play if you have bad cell service and are on WiFI. In that case calls go over WiFi instead of the cell network.

I had it with Sprint, got terrible cell service call quality at home. WiFi calling didn’t make much difference. I still got lousy call quality.

I get 5 bars at home with XM and am saving a bundle besides.
New Poster

Lol, what are you talking about?  You get benefit of Verizion network for 1/3 the price.  How terrible, who is your service provider?  If you say Verizion then you are just overpaying for no reason.

Frequent Visitor

Exactly!! Well in my case for around 20%. So far I’ve not gone over a gig in the 7 months I’ve been on XM. Between being on my own WiFi and Xfinity hotspots it’s been easy to stay under.

Great service for $12.99. Can’t beat it.
Frequent Visitor

A different question Xm Vs Verizon

I have Verizon service and have a mifi  hotspot when Comcast/Xfinity internet service is down (Itrade stocks and options for a living so I never want to be down) or if I am out for the day or even at a hotel on  trip etc.

So I need sufficent speed. to run my trading platforms and all the data (less than gaming-never come close to Xfinitys limits)

My internet package has the 250MBPS and I get that.

Xfinity does not have the separate mifi type  hotspot but I can use my phone as a hotspot.

Now the question: will my phone hotspot with XM be almost the same as with direct Verizon for effective speed?  If i am in range of Xfinity now I can use its "hotspot". Its been a few months since ther has been a posting here and now I can bring over my apple phones to XM but not my android phones.

Contributor

It can be said with certainty that throughput on Xfinity Mobile Personal Hotspot will not match performance on Verizon.

However, for your purposes that may not matter since the critical question for you is whether throughput on Xfinity Mobile's Personal Hotspot is adequate for your purposes and that is an empirical question the answer to which depends on the location you are in and the requirements of the trading platform and the way you use the platform's settings to optimize available bandwidth.

The odds are that unless you are in an area with a weak signal and need to run a trading platform that uses data-intensive real-time analytics, the Xfinity Mobile Personal Hotspot may be adequate most of the time.  However, for trading purposes, most of the time may not be sufficiently robust as market developments often require the ability to react in real time.

Moreover, Xfinity Mobile is intended for normal consumer use rather than mission-critical applications and therefore it probably is not an optimal solution for cases where reliability and continuous access is essential.  A more robust service, such as that provided by Tier 1 carriers is probably more suited to such uses.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks: I thought about it last evenng and my thought was to go to the xfinity store with my verizon hot spot, my verizon phone, and see if they had  a phone using the xfinity mobile system to see what plus or minus there is with speed.

My programs will work fine enough with 50 MBPS which is fine for the brief time I use it in an emergency when away from home. 

I just want to make certain the shortage we all expect is not too much where the programs are not usable.

one thing though that might help--my hotspot and phone are 2 years old and newer equipment does have  better speed throughput, and that may end up offsettingth elower speed thru XM.

I have to try it to see what happens. I'll be at my daughter today who has IPhone X and XM so I wil be aboe to benchmark my hotspot, my phone and her X to see if she does get higher speed with her device.

I'd rather learn know now of a potential issue than later.

thanks again.

Frequent Visitor

BTW--I have tried a few VPN's and with my 250 mbps speed I lose at least 75% of that speed with VPN's

New Poster

The iPhone Upgrade Program does not work with xfinity Mobile, it does with Verizon.