Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile existing line and Samsung unlocked version Note 10+ ?

Contributor

Xfinity Mobile existing line and Samsung unlocked version Note 10+ ?

I purchased a Samsung unlocked aura blue 10+ directly from Samsung on their pre-order. The reason for this is the 350 trade in (200 more than xfinity) and the 200 bucks in freebies (2 cases and a smart things Camera)

Xfinity says you can't BYOD to an existing line. The techs on Xfinity forums say it might work, but you might be missing some features like wi-fi calling, VOLTE, etc. not a big deal. Others have said they said the same thing for the S10 but it worked for them.

I went to the store today and the manager said they can make it work as long as its CDMA unlocked. I looked at the specs and there are a bunch of CDMA listings on the network.

I guess I'm going to take a chance. If it doesn't work I'll return the phone and just keep using my Note 8 until they get the BYOD Android thing all worked out. Maybe wait for the S11. If it works, great!!

The reason I am with xfinity is because I use less than a GB of data a month and my bill is 12.00 a month.

Anyone else taking the chance?

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Mobile existing line and Samsung unlocked version Note 10+ ?

I made a visit to the store yesterday to discuss this.  They said when I get the phone to bring it in and they will make it work.  So we will see I guess.

Contributor

I went over with my unlocked from samsung(no carrier) Note 8 and S8+.  The guy spent half an hour on with mother ship and determined it's a no go for ANY phone bought unbranded from samsung for new line. Both of the these phones work fine with a SIM from an existing line that was activated on an XM phone.  I also have a 10+ on order that I intend to pop my existing SIM into when it comes and I'm sure it will work fine, no intentions of talking to XM.   If it doesn't work, I will be switching to Verizon pre-paid plans with BYOD.

P.S. I only did this to see if I could get another line on my account without buying another phone.

Contributor

So the SIM card that is in my Note 8, is the one they put in when I brought over my Note 8 from ATT so it might work just switching the SIM?

Contributor

I have a back up plan that does not involve Xfinity if they "can't make it work"  And its not much more expensive.  I refuse to be held hostage to buy a phone from Xfinity when Samsung gave me 3 times as much for my old phone.  Sure Xfinity can give 250 if you bring a phone from another carrier, but they can't do a dang thing for customer with an existing line.  I've been a comcast customer for internet and TV for 20 years and have paid them close to 29000 bucks.  You would think they could at least match the deal Samsung gave me.

New Poster

Did you get the Note 10 to work? I got mine the same way via Samsung. I plugged in the bring my own device with my imei and the Xfinity website says "Not compatible". However, I put in my sim card from my older Note 8 and it seems to work just fine with exception of the voicemail. It says it is unable to authorize? 

Contributor

Ok my experience with BYOD to an existing line (supposedly not allowed) of an unlocked Note 10+ direct from Samsung.

Took it to the store so they could do it "right" What they would do is start a new line, then bring my number over from the old line and dump the old line. But since I had the phone 2 days before official release they couldn't do it. I may have it done on Saturday.

They suggested just switching the SIM card. That worked. The note10+ still shows up as my Note 8 in their system. I used smart switch ot bring all settings and apps over. I can make call, texts, receive calls and texts, I had to re download the visual voicemail app for some reason, but it does work. VoLTE is on (not sure if its working, not familiar with it but i have seen others wondering if it would work)

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working for me is wi-fi calling. the toggle is there, but when I turn it on, the phone starts "thinking" for a min, then gives me a message unable to activate wi-fi calling at this time try again later. I have tried on both home wi-fi and work wi-fi to no avail.

This is not a big deal for me and am willing to sacrifice it.

Forgot to mention the switching from LTE to xfinity hot spot while out and about seems to be working fine.

New Poster

Thanks for following up with your experience, I'm thinking about going this route as well. 

Contributor

Got the wifi calling working today.  Went into settings and reset network settings.

New Poster

I just got my Note 10+ Thursday via Samsung.  Visited XM today and was told that they would have to esclate the situation to Tech Support.  I was told that it would take two days to get an answer.  I decided to go with Verizon's $35 prepaid plan.  I may try to switch the sim card just to see if XM will work.  But I really want to save some money with the prepaid plan.

New Poster

Don't believe the hype. If you are purchasing an unlocked phone direct from Samung and its LTE/CDMA, (in my opinion and experience) it will work just fine on the X-Finity (ahem, Verizon) network. If you already have an X-Finity Mobile line, simply insert that sim card into your new device and it should work. Dont expect to see the new device show up on your list of devices because it does not appear to update. Also, in a worse case scenario, if you just can't get it to work -highly unlikely, Samsung does give you a period of time in which to return your device. But I can tell you from personal experience in your exact situation that it does work.
New Poster

I want to buy an unlocked note10+ from samsung.  I recently changed services to Xfinity and received a sim card for my note 8.  Is your note 10+ still working ok?

New Poster

It absolutely does work just fine thank you very much Smiley Happy As for Xfinity CS?  Well, in my opinion, not so much.  Just getting past their torturous AI when calling in is an obstacle.  THEN getting a live agent to read and process what you are attempting to convey is an exercise in futility.  So, Dear XFinity, if your customer service/tech support is unable or unwilling to comprehend and communicate effectively, then maybe you should consider doing away with the lot of them because the paying public, especially in this day and age, is considerably more versed in the subject matter and is not likely to fall for the standard BS.  It IS why their has been so much legal action.  So at this point, what does it matter?  Furlough the lot of them.  Pass the savings on to your customers who for the most part know what they are doing and if they don't, at least they know where to get the information on their own, thus negating the need to waste so much valuable time and money for all concerned.  Who knows? You might even increase your sales!

But I digress.... Yes, the phone is working just fine and I hope yours does as well.  

Regular Contributor

Same thing happened with my iPhone. I had an iPhone X with xfinity and got the iPhone 11 Pro from Apple and just put the sim from the X to the 11 and it has worked fine even though xfinity says not to do it and I need a new SIM card with a new line then they will move my number to that SIM card. I decided to go to an xfinity store today to just get a new sim but the lady that “helped” was rude and made me feel Stupid because I guess I shouldn’t have used the sim from my old iPhone in my new iPhone and that I would somehow need to get my iPhone X from the person I sold it to so I can put the sim back in it then they could my number to the new card.
New Poster

We also purchased Note 10+ directly from Samsung and did the SIM swap. So far the only issue we are finding is that the Samsung Video calling is not an option. It was there on the Note 8 that we activated before moving the SIM to the new device. Are others having this issue, and has anyone found a fix?
Frequent Visitor

I talked with Comcast yet again last night and was told by a tier 2 tech (Mario)there is not going to be any changes to how they feel about the Samsung Note 10 plus purchased from Samsung they want you to call Samsung and Samsung want you to call them but nobody wants to take responsibility for dishing up thousand dollar phones that are not working as they should and it seems like nobody cares there.<br> anybody else not happy??
Frequent Visitor

A tier 2 tech (Mario) told me that when though I took my Note 10 + to My XFINITY store and they installed the sim card (Why didn't anybody say something then there no fix unless Samsung takes back the and gives me another compatible with Comcast. I told Samsung I was with Comcast and they nothing is wrong with phone, Call Comcast!!!
Again, there no fix from Comcast and plans to ever fix it
Contributor

No biggie to me.  Everything works fine for me except for the fact my account thinks I still have a Note 8.

Contributor

@thefunky1 wrote:
A tier 2 tech (Mario) told me that when though I took my Note 10 + to My XFINITY store and they installed the sim card (Why didn't anybody say something then there no fix unless Samsung takes back the and gives me another compatible with Comcast. I told Samsung I was with Comcast and they nothing is wrong with phone, Call Comcast!!!
Again, there no fix from Comcast has no plans to ever fix it. Comcast not the right chip installed and Samsung says nothing is wrong with the phone Call Comcast

Yeah you already said this.  So what is not working for you?

Contributor

I knew when I did it, that it's not supposed to work but it probably will and there may or may not be a fix coming for it.  It's the chance i took.  Like I said, all features work for me.  Its just my account thinks I have a note 8, which the only problem that would cause is if i want to switch plans which I do not plan on doing as I have never went over 1GB in about 10 years.

Frequent Visitor

I too, had less than 2 Gigs,
but because of some reason I had to go to the unlimited plan because I kept going over three all of a sudden so that seems like a red flag right there aside from that Visual Voicemail just a lot of little things searching for service when I'm in my own Wi-Fi, and I'm not if I still have my Note 8 card. I have to laugh whenever Xfinity tells me that Samsung's problem and when I ordered the phone from Samsung even though I was in the other box clearly I put on there it is a Comcast service so one would think I would get the right phones Comcast says no Samsung says nothing wrong back in the middle again maybe I will try another sim card is that I have to do is just put it in and why won't Comcast throw us a bone and try to help find a solution? Samsung evidently knew what phones to send Comcast