Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile does not allow BYOD customers to transfer SIM to different BYOD phone.

New Poster

Xfinity Mobile does not allow BYOD customers to transfer SIM to different BYOD phone.

Xfinity Mobile is about to lose my business.  Not because I'm unhappy with the service, let me explain.  I brought my own iPhone to Xfinity mobile and had my old number ported over.  Now I want to upgrade my phone to another, newer, BYOD iPhone, and was told the following by CS:

Xfinity only ports in old numbers to new customers.   Existing Xfinity customers cannot change their BYOD phones and keep their old numbers!  

So if you as an Xfinity customer have a phone that dies and you want to have your old number ported to a different BYOD phone, you have to look for another provider!   I'm not a lawyer, and I will follow up, on this but I believe that Federal regs require carriers to acommodate porting existing phone numbers.  

I was not aware of this when I signed up, so I don't know when this policy began, but I expect it is a recent development. Now I have little choice, I will be looking for a different provider.  Goodbye Xfinity Mobile, thanks for the memories!

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Mobile does not allow BYOD customers to transfer SIM to different BYOD phone.

I am having the same issue as you. I am trying to go from an Android to iPhone though. 

You can just move your sim card over and the new iPhone will work granted it meets the carrier specs. In your comcast account it will just show the number tagged to the old phones IMEI.

This is a basic task Xfinity needs to get its act togeather.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Mobile does not allow BYOD customers to transfer SIM to different BYOD phone.

Xfinity says that old phone number cannot be ported to new phone. Only way to keep old number is to keep old phone listed as second line. So what if I sell or give away the old phone?
New Poster

Hey, shouldn't your service/number be tied to the SIM rather than the phone?  What would happen if you just put the sim in another compatible device?