Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile customers to be limited to 480p streaming, 600Kbps hotspot

Regular Contributor

Xfinity Mobile customers to be limited to 480p streaming, 600Kbps hotspot

Subscribers will have to pay for 720p streaming later in the year.

https://www.androidcentral.com/xfinity-mobile-customers-be-limited-480p-streaming-600kbps-hotspot?ut...

<--> U.S. Navy Vietnam Era veteran. You're welcome. <-->
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Mobile customers to be limited to 480p streaming, 600Kbps hotspot

Very disappointed in XM since I got this email yesterday. I already filed an FCC complaint as this was not stated in the terms of service when I signed up few months ago. I believe that this should only apply to new customers and not existing customers. If that was the case I wouldn't have left at&t being a 12 year customer as I never had to deal with this issue from them. Xfinity is always finding a way to screw over their loyal customers. I had a feeling this was coming..........

Frequent Visitor

I got a missed call from Xfinity Mobile Corporate Escalations already regarding this matter, they left a VM I will call them tomorrow and see what they're willing to do espeically after being a 10 year loyal comcast customer. I'll keep you posted. I also suggest you go to the FCC website and fill out the same complaint, the more complaints the better.

Oh and just to let everyone know, if they don't comply no big deal there's a hotspot mod for the galaxy s9/s9+ to get around the hotspot limitation which doesn't count towards your data plan as hotspot data (you can google it)

Official Employee

Hi all, 

By standardizing on 480p, streaming video will use less data - helping you save money if you pay By the Gig, or consume more content on Unlimited. Most customers can’t tell the difference, and this change won’t impact video streaming on WiFi, which will continue to stream in HD and is free. The change only affects video streaming using your device’s cellular data, so you can continue to stream HD-quality video over WiFi, including at millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots. We encourage customers to connect to WiFi whenever possible. Also, as an Xfinity Mobile customer, you have access to more than 19 million Xfinity WiFi hotspots. Connecting to these WiFi hotspots (when available) will allow you to continue streaming in HD without having to use your cellular data.

With regard to video resolution, most consumers won’t be able to tell the difference, and this change won’t impact video streaming on WiFi, which will continue to stream in HD. For those customers who value HD, we will introduce the ability to purchase 720p later this year. And for those customers who value mobile hotspotting, they can select our By the Gig data option, which will continue to deliver 4G speeds for all data traffic.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Ken,

I'm not that concerned about the video, but one of the main reasons I switched to Xfinity Mobile was for the "Unlimited" Hot Spot use!!  I was with T-Mobile and they gave you 10 GB of high speed tethering before reducing your speed to 3G, but I switched to you under the premise that I now had 20GB of High Speed Tethering!  Now tethering is pretty much useless, or expensive!!  I've been with you for 2 months, and already you are being shady.  I could sort of understand if you made this change for new customers, but it is not acceptable to "Bait and Switch"!!  

Official Employee

jmunzer, I understand your frustrations. I'll forward your feedback to my leadership. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Just my 0.02 from being a telecomm engineer. No matter who carrier, there is no such thing as unlimited, they will always get you somewhere, they are running a business. The term of services are written by lawyers who use just the proper language not to make them liable. To pick a carrier, u just have to select the least of the evils, or what you are willing to put up with. The bright side about XM is, you are not locked into a contract, can always cancel anytime (so far). Not sure if accepting their debit cards options, purchased phones from them locks you into anything.
Contributor

My former carrier limited streaming, and it was never a big deal since I use my phone primarily for a phone. I personally am OK with Xfinity working to keep costs down so they can pass on good pricing to their customers. I found their services to be competitive with my old carrier; that's why I switched. But I can see that, if you contract inferred that you were grandfathered in to a certain feature for a specific time, then you have reason to take it up with them.
Highlighted
Contributor

@NicholasKage wrote:

Very disappointed in XM since I got this email yesterday. I already filed an FCC complaint as this was not stated in the terms of service when I signed up few months ago. I believe that this should only apply to new customers and not existing customers. If that was the case I wouldn't have left at&t being a 12 year customer as I never had to deal with this issue from them. Xfinity is always finding a way to screw over their loyal customers. I had a feeling this was coming..........

Nick, I did the same. I suggest that everyone do that. Here; https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us I have already been contacted by Executive Escalations.. Apparently, there is already a lot of push back on this. (No doubt) They're going to "look into it". LOL OK. Still, they probably won't do anything. It has, however, changed a large portion of what it was they were initially offering. A true "bait and switch" in every aspect. I don't know how these telecommunication companies continue to get away with this scam. (And that's exactly what it is too) They must be paying off all the right politicians, that's for sure. My experience with Xfinity Mobile is that it was "not ready for prime time" when it launched, and it's still not. "Tech Support" is nothing more that a cruel joke on the customers. They are TOTALLY lost. God help you if you need any kind of support beyond simple settings. Verizon is sending me offers to come back. Should never have left.
New Poster

It's an absolute bait and switch. Have a house in a rural area and got the service for the Hotspot.. And now i can't run Netflix or even get my laptop Outlook to work. properly. If this is properly disclosed by the sales person I would of never gotten this service. I had to buy a new phone because of no porting as well. Complete waste of money This is a total scam
Frequent Visitor

So I ended up canceling my service and ported out my number to another carrier. I'm still paying off my device, I ended up getting my phone unlocked through a 3rd party for a small fee and at least now with this carrier I have wifi calling enabled unlike XM who claim's to be working on it like forever.. Also on a side note when I ran a speed test (using speedtest app) on XM the ping times were over 100ms which I thought was ridiculous as AT&T, Tmobile, MetroPCS, Sprint are under 40ms ping times in comparison. Maybe I'll return to XM when the note 9 comes out soon just for the finance plan lol.....then following day later unlock the phone, cancel my service and go with my current carrier lmao.
Contributor

Nick,

I think a lot of people are right behind you. I know I am.  This company is a total mess. You can't even get two different people to tell you the same thing for the same issue. Nobody there seems to know what's going on.  Ever.  I'll bet it's just total chaos on the inside.

I had major signup issues in the beginning and was given so much misinformation you wouldn't believe it.  That should have been a HUGE indication of what I was going to be dealing with if I signed up, but when "Executive Escallations" reached out to me trying to fix it I agreed. That was stupid on my part. I won't make the same mistake again.  

Let's see -

* Misinformation and lies for 6 months when attempting to sign up? Check.
* Billing issues and misinformation after becoming a customer? Check.
* Total lack of ability to understand and resolve customer technical issues? Check.
* Hours and hours wasted on the phone talking to untrained and uninformed "technical support" personnel? Check.
* Bait and switch tactics used to remove and charge for the very same services that were used to entice customers to leave their previous carriers and join Xfinity Mobile? Check.

So now they are now totally changing the only reason left to continue to use them? If you didn't know better, you would think that there was an active effort within Xfinity Mobile to "Thin the Herd" of customers. What a way to drive away the customer base you just spent the past year wooing from other carriers. (Another) Stupid move Xfinity.  Buh, Bye

Frequent Visitor

Ken,

Did you get any feedback from leadership? 

I filed a complaint with the FCC, and I got a call from Xfinity to explain to me that this is "Xfinity trying to help me save my data"!  I asked the guy, if he signed up for cable service based on the fact that he was getting 100 channels, but then a month later they told him he was only going to get 50 channels for the same price, if he would be upset.  Of course he said yes, but that this was different because Xfinity was trying to "help" me!  It would be pretty funny if it wasn't so shameful!

Contributor

Ken, dont come here spouting the company line.

This change doesnt save the customer nearly as much as it saves XM. Many of us took this offer, ditching our old carriers happy to have the ability to use the Hotspot fully understanding that once we hit a certain threshhold our speed will be hindered. Now what you're doing is crippling unlimited users that use the hotspot and those that stream at 720p. As an unlimited user myself, using the Hospot will become worthlessand its exactly as XM has intended, not to save me anything but to save themselves

Frequent Visitor

Here is my take on this.  I was using about 4-5 GB per month of my "Unlimited" data.  I typically would be conservative with my data use, because I felt like this was a great deal due to the tethering, and was happy to switch over from the (what now looks like a pretty stellar) deal I had on T-Mobile!  But now Xfinity has changed all of that, and I'm beyond angry that I switched over to what is now an inferior plan.  Bait and Switch.

So now I plan on using every MB of data that I can from Xfinity Mobile, up to my 20 GB cut off point.  I have been letting my iPhone download App updates over Cellular (this is a huge amount of data by the end of the month), purposefully keeping WIFI off during the day, letting my kids watch streaming  movies without turning on WIFI, etc.   

I think it is wrong what Xfinity Mobile has done, and this is the way that I will protest.  They were already missing their targets for new activations, and I expect these new changes won't help!