Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile THE WORST!!!! (Bring Your Own Device Problem)

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Mobile THE WORST!!!! (Bring Your Own Device Problem)

Sir/Madam,

I have been an Xfinity Internet customer for about 4 years at this address and before that I was a customer since 2005 when I arrived in Chicago. I recently received an email telling me that I could bring my own device to Xfinity Mobile so I decided to give it a try and bring my UNLOCKED iPhone 6s (T-Mobile) with me. I called up and was told that I had to go into the store. I trudged into the store in the snow two Sundays ago. The woman typed in my internet account number and up popped a message that said something to the effect of "the customer is unable to bring his own device to the service." They instructed me to go home and get online and order service. But before I left they called Xfinity Mobile (XM) on the phone. The person on the phone told her that I needed to go through some sort of security check and they would have someone call me on a Wednesday at 8 pm to ask me questions (such as "did you live in x address on x date" that sort of thing). I said ok and went home with a case number that referred to the issue. Wednesday rolls around and no one has called. I call later and am told that someone had summarily closed my case number and wrote in the notes something like "customer has a too high fraud score." This perplexed me. The customer service rep told me to call the security area. I call over there and they tell me that they can't help me. In fact, they can't even see the case number. They tell me to call back over to XM customer service (XMCS). I call back over to XMCS who tells me that they can’t do anything and I should call back over to the security people. I call the security people and they tell again me that they can't help and that I should call over to the people in XMCS but this time escalate the call. I do this and the woman takes my information and writes up a new ticket and escalates it to the 2nd tier support. She tells me that they will call me back in the next day (Thursday). The next day rolls around and no one calls. I also write the people in the store who tell me that they can’t do anything and I have to wait for the 2nd tier support to get back to me. I keep my cool and wait. By Sunday no one has called and so I call XMCS. I give them the 2nd level ticket number and they tell me that someone has closed the ticket and that there is nothing that they can do. SO this is 2 times that tickets were summarily closed without anyone bothering to call me. I am wondering what is going on. They tell me to call over to security and security tells me that they can do nothing the tell me to go back to XMCS who tells me that they can do nothing. They tell me to call over to security and get a supervisor. I call over and ask to be sent to a supervisor (by the way you seem to have to get upset to get a supervisor) who looks at the problem. He calls some second level security team who tells him to transfer me over to some XM sales area for help. I go there and get a supervisor who looks at the tickets and can’t really tell what is going on. She told me that it looks as if the tickets weren’t even closed because there are supposed to be reasons in the notes why tickets are closed. She checks and sees that if I wanted to she could open new service for me with up to 5 lines and 5 phones that I could pay off in an installment plan. Let’s stop for a moment and reassess: I can’t seem to transfer my own device because my “security rating” is too high (something that this customer service rep had never heard of) BUT I can open NEW service with, say, 5 brand new iPhone X devices and be granted something like $5,500+ worth of credit to do so. This makes no sense. IN any event, she can’t help me because bring your own device can only be done in store. She tells me that I should go to another store (not the first time I am told this) but I decide to go back to the same store because I should not have to go to another store to get this simple thing done. I arrive at the store on a Monday (8 days after I go into the store the first time). I give them my Xfinity Internet account number and the first thing that pops up (just as it did the last time) is the same message saying that I can’t bring my own phone and that I should go home and log into the computer and begin the process of getting service. So basically, I am being told that I have to buy a new phone to establish service even though I am bringing a perfectly good and usable unlocked phone (I bought it directly from apple unlocked). They call XMCS on the phone from the store and they are told that nothing can be done. They can’t do anything in the store. The people on the phone can’t do anything. No one can tell me why I can’t seem to bring my phone to establish service. NO ONE CAN DO A THING UNLESS I SPEND MONEY AND BUY A NEW PHONE.

I feel as if I am in a Kafka novel!

As I told them in the store, it should not be this difficult to establish service.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Mobile THE WORST!!!! (Bring Your Own Device Problem)

cptodd1, thanks for posting this. I am sorry to hear about your experience. Some customers are not eligible to enroll in bring your own device (BYOD) based on a retail fraud flag. I have had a few customers on the forums who were in the same predicament. For whatever reason, your account has an extra layer of fraud protection that can only be satisfied by an online purchase. 

At this time, we do not have BYOD available for activation online. Thus, you will not be able to participate in the BYOD program until it has been made online. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

The Kafkaesque nightmare continues it seems. I have fallen into some sort of in-store “fraud flag” nightmare that no one seems to be able to fix or even explain to me. The illogic of being able to get service and credit via phone sales but not in the store (when I want no credit at all) baffles me and should trouble higher-ups at Comcast.

Your procedures seem to fly in the face of and insult sound logic and good sense. It should not be this difficult to establish service.

Official Employee

I understand your frustrations. You will be able to enroll in BYOD once we make it available online or if a work around is created in stores. I do not have an ETA on either option at this time. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

After being caught in the XM CS version of "One Flew Over TheCukoo's Nest" when it comes to byod, I ashamedly caved in. I bought an Iphone  SE from XM just to give XM my business. Except for saving a few bucks, I can not explian even to myself why in the world I did that.

New Poster

Wow.....xfinity. This is nonsense and illogical! I was thinking of going to XM, but after this mans nightmare, there is no way. Fix the issue, this is a red tape loop hole nightmare created by your own company. It has deterred me from transferring service and it will others as the last anyone wants is to spend hours on the phone or go into a store for your mess that noone is educated in fixing. So thankful for the review and thankful that XM response showed no compassion and no attempt to fix their own ridiculousness. You wont be seeing me as a customer, you have to do a whole lot better than this.

Regular Visitor

Not getting much better in the Cuckoos Nest. Everyone is very polite and apologetic. Good traing Comcast. I began the service in January. No problem transferring over phones since both my wife and I had iPhones that came from Verizon. Hmmmm? Problem stated when my 5 lost the ability to make calls in mid May. Called tech. They couldn't figure it out. Went to store and they changed the Sim card at the suggestion of tech. No help. Came back in a couple of days to purchase a new phone. Chose the iPhone 8 but they couldn't complete the transaction in the store. Told I needed to order it on line and bring it into the store. Really!!! They could not sell me a phone! Left not happy. One week later I drove to another Comcast store, again 20 minutes away, and two different associates tried to complete the transaction and their screens would not allow them to complete the transaction. Asked it I could go to Aple and purchase a phone and bring it into them. I was told no, that phones purchased directly from Apple could be transferred? Went home frustrated again.  Looked up responses on transferring phones from Apple and it confirmed what was said in the store about transferring phone bought directly from Apple. Went online to order a phone from Xfinity Mobile.SE, 7, 7+ (except128) alll out of stock. The SE, 7, and 7+ availe in 32 GB on 6/25/2018. That's estimated so I have no faith in it actually arriving. I can purchase the iphone 8 and 10 (700 to 1,000) or the Samsungs s8 or 9. Funny how the price points on these phones keep moving North. Sooooo, I can either continue to go without phone service that I m paying for until Xfinity gets the phone I want in stock, buy a phone that is more than I want to pay or need, or I can go to Apple and purchase a phone and try to get it transferred over to my line. Oh, that's the aother part of the story. I have been assured repeatedly by Customer Care and Sales that yes, I can bring an unlocked phone from Apple directly and it can be transferred. How lucky do I feel???

This is really insane Comcast. Your big boys and girls and if you want to be in this business stop making it so hard. Phone and Data service is good (thanks Verizon). Customer Support is 

respectful and courtious. Execution is really poor. Help your people to help your current and portential customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

I too went throught the run-around only to be told that need to buy a new iPhone. I call BS. 

Official Employee

Hello, the BYOD program is compatible with numerous IPhone models. To see if your phone is compatible with the Xfinity network please click on this link. If you require further assistance please reach back out to me here. 

Regular Visitor

Hi Amir,

I noticed that you've helped another user regarding the boyd cannot complete in store. Are you able to can help me please? I can't seem to pm you directly. 

Official Employee

kumamon wrote: Hi Amir,

I noticed that you've helped another user regarding the boyd cannot complete in store. Are you able to can help me please? I can't seem to pm you directly. 

I am more than happy to look into this for you, I replied to your PM. Please reach back out to me there for further assistance. 

Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry that some of you have had problems. I'd like to add, however, that my own experience with Xfinity was much better — i brought my own iPhone SE and the fellow that helped me (@ Vancouver, WA store) was very patient and knowledgable, and ported my number over from PagePlus (Verizon MVNO). I've been very happy with Xfinity Mobile so far; so much so that I will be porting over my wife's iPhone this week to use on my Xfinity account.

The world of cell phones is complex (compatibility, locked vs unlocked, number porting, account numbers and passcodes, etc) when it comes to bringing your own device to any carrier, especially when switching carriers or porting numbers. You really have to do your homework to ensure everything will go as smoothly as possible before you take your phone into a carrier's store. Not saying some of you didn't do this, but its something to be aware of...

New Poster

Hello Amir
Won't let me se d a private message but need help with my order can't get any answers
Frequent Visitor

Wait, let me get this straight: You can't get new service when bringing your own phone - even though you've ALREADY had service from them for years - because of some "fraud alert". Yet they would gladly send you a thousand dollar phone on credit if you purchased their overpriced locked phone regardless of the "fraud alert"? Yeah, that sounds totally above board Xfinity. I think the fraud alert label should be stamped all over Xfinity/Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

"an extra layer of fraud protection that can only be satisfied by an online purchase."

Can you not see how ludicrous that is? How can an online purchase be any more secure than an in-person transaction? Could it be that the online purchase means more $$ for XM than a BYOD? Could it be that it has zero to do with fraud, credit or compromised accounts and more to do with the fraudelent nature of comcast? Why promise that we can BYOD if you really, really don't want us to? Why offer the current $150 rebate for doing so if you have no intentions of honoring it? Is that really good business? Maybe for someone, just not the customers.

Frequent Visitor

I don't get why some folk are having problems, unless maybe they are trying to use a locked or incompatible phone for their BYOD? Xfinity was upfront when I checked with them in advance what phones were compatible before I considered service.

So far I've brought in two BYOD phones to our local Xfinity center (an iPhone SE and an iPhone 6S), and things went smoothly with no problems. The staff that helped me (different person each time) were knowledgable and friendly, even when one number port from the previous carrier (PagePlus) took quite awhile. So far we've been very pleased with the service. 

Frequent Visitor

johnsbaker, I'm very glad that you've had good luck. I wish it were so for all of us. But I assure you the problem is not trying to bring an incompatible phone. All this happens before they even look at the phone or check it for compatibility.

Frequent Visitor

Activation at store is 100% bad experience. 

Contributor

I had zero problems doing my BYOD SIM Free Unlocked iPhone 7 Plus in store last week.

I verified my identity, gave the agent the number I wanted ported in, provided the current carrier account number and PIN, swapped SIM cards, and answered the test call from the agent.

The whole process from start to finish was accomlished in five minutes.

Frequent Visitor

gderf, you're one of the lucky ones. I am still trying but after 3 trips to store and still no joy I am losing hope steadily. May I ask if you are on the unlimited plan or by the gig and did you buy any of Xfinity's phones or is the BYOD the only line you have. I wonder if how much we spend with Xfinity has any bearing on our ability to "qualify" for a new line with BYOD. I bought 4 LG X Charge phones when they were almost free, I only use 1 gig per month for all of them, so I only pay about $13.00/month and was denied a fifth line before they even asked what kind of phone I was bringing. Whereas someone who buys an iPhone or other expensive phone  from them and pays $45+ /mo per line on their plan would probably be given that fifth line immediately. Just a theory.

Contributor

@Rainyday113 wrote:

gderf, you're one of the lucky ones. I am still trying but after 3 trips to store and still no joy I am losing hope steadily. May I ask if you are on the unlimited plan or by the gig and did you buy any of Xfinity's phones or is the BYOD the only line you have. I wonder if how much we spend with Xfinity has any bearing on our ability to "qualify" for a new line with BYOD. I bought 4 LG X Charge phones when they were almost free, I only use 1 gig per month for all of them, so I only pay about $13.00/month and was denied a fifth line before they even asked what kind of phone I was bringing. Whereas someone who buys an iPhone or other expen​_sive phone  from them and pays $45+ /mo per line on their plan would probably be given that fifth line immediately. Just a theory.

I was already an XM customer with one LG X Charge phone I bought for $1.00. I am on the by the gig plan for that line, but as the phone has not been used since I bought it, I only pay $2.42/mo taxes and fees to keep the number and have a spare phone.

The BYOD iPhone was added as a second line with a ported in number I have had for many years. I bought that phone unlocked directly from Apple more than a year ago and started service by porting my number in to MetroPCS, then ported it to Sprint for one year of "free" unlimited service ($3.67/mo taxes and fees), and then ported it in to XM because my one year of free service with Sprint was almost over and Xfinity promises to pay me $150 for that BYOD and port in.

My current Xfinity TV and Internet bill is $118/mo and I have been a customer for more than 25 years with an 820 credit score, plus $2.42 for the LG phone that is never used, plus another $2.42 for the new BYOD line. I will be using data on the BYOD iPhone, and might wind up going unlimited with the first time I reach 3 GB.

I have no idea what criteria Xfinity uses for credit rating purposes, but when I bought that first LX phone for $1.00 they told me I could have up to 5 lines.

Frequent Visitor

OK thanks. Your situation is not much different than mine. I have been a comcast customer for 15 years paying about $124/mo for cable, internet and landline. I got 4 lines on Xfinity mobile 9 months ago, I've got almost 800 credit score but now they say they can't give me a fifth line because of my credit. I pulled all 3 of my credit reports and there is absolutely nothing adverse on them. So I can't for the life of  me figure out why they are reneging on their promise that I could have 5 lines. It's truly a mystery.