Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile Samsung S7/S7 Edge model numbers

New Poster

Xfinity Mobile Samsung S7/S7 Edge model numbers

I am very interested in Xfinity Mobile. I want to purchase a S7 or S7 Edge through the Xfinity store but I'm interested to know which variant of the phone is being sold. I currently have Xfinity internet I don't plan to move anytime soon. But, in case I did and I couldn't get Xfininty I want to make sure that the phone I buy will be unlocked and fully compatible with other carriers.

Can someone tell me which variants of the S7 and S7 Edge are available from the Xfinity store?

I'm guessing for the S7 it will be either the SM-G930U (Unlocked) or SM-G930V (Version) and for the S7 Edge either the SM-G935U (Unlocked) or SM_G935V (Verison) variants.

Thank you!

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Mobile Samsung S7/S7 Edge model numbers

Someone who actually has S7 or S7 Edge will be able to report the exact model number. But just like S8/S8+, all Samsung S7/S7 Edge for the US market have the same underlying hardware regardless of carrier. Xfinity Mobile piggybacks on Verizon Wireless, so its branded S7/S7 Edge should work as-is on Verizon once network unlocked, if you have to leave Xfinity Mobile at some point. It should work with all other major carriers as well, as the Verizon variety includes support for those networks. I can confirm that Xfinity Mobile S8 works on T-Mobile once unlocked. The only minor annoyance you may find is that Xfinity Mobile firmware is hardcoded to look for a Xfinity Mobile SIM, even after network unlock, it prompts you to insert one every time the phone is power cycled but will proceed to work with any SIM. You can also "unbrand" it by installing the firmware for the factory unlocked version, or install firmware for specific carrier you want to go to. I know individuals who have gone the Verizon -> Unlocked -> AT&T route on S7; I have installed the unlocked firmware for S8 on a Verizon S8. This is Samsung stock firmware we are talking about here, all you need is ODIN and does not involved rooting at all. But most likely you will never need to go that far, unless there is a particular carrier-specific feature you just have to have.

New Poster

Great info! Thanks!

Problem Solver

shutter8ug wrote:

The only minor annoyance you may find is that Xfinity Mobile firmware is hardcoded to look for a Xfinity Mobile SIM, even after network unlock, it prompts you to insert one every time the phone is power cycled but will proceed to work with any SIM. You can also "unbrand" it by installing the firmware for the factory unlocked version, or install firmware for specific carrier you want to go to.

I assume that once one Odin flashes the factory unlocked software, or the appropriate software for another carrier, it no longer looks for the XM SIM?

New Poster

i have an unlocked AT&T S7 Edge but it won't work with XM Sim, i tried with other careers to make sure it's unlocked and it is and worked but not on XM.

Official Employee

mowen01, the S7 edge is end of life and Samsung will no longer produce that phone. 

Here is what the model number was: 

SM-G935VZDACCT 

This is the model number for the S7 which is currently out of stock: 

SM-G930VZKACCT

rgk9, we do not support bring your own device at this time. 

KenF

New Poster

bought a Verizon S7 on Ebay, put my XM sim in and it works perfect.

New Poster

This post is kind of old but I want to respond to help someone else in the future. The S7/Edge model for Xfinity is SM-G930VC and SM-G935VC, respectively. You can use a model from any carrier but it may require some installing of a different firmware for best operation. Just putting a sim in an at&t variant doesn't really work because they don't use CDMA. Using a Verizon model works better since they do use CDMA and using an unlocked version will work too, but you will be missing features (visual voice mail) with the later two. Your best option is to make sure you phone is carrier unlocked and then use odin to install the Xfinity firmware. Serch the internet on how to do this and use the firmware for the model I gave.