Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile - SSN required for existing Xfinity customer? - There has to be another way

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity Mobile - SSN required for existing Xfinity customer? - There has to be another way

As a current Xfinity home internet customer, I tried signing up for Xfinity Mobile service with my own device. When I got to the screen that required my SSN, I stopped. I called Xfinity Mobile, I went to a retail store and I opened a chat window. Xfinity appears to care less about unnecessarily exposing their (potential) customers' SSNs. 

Please provide another way to use Xfinity Mobile without providing a SSN - especially for current, established, on-time paying customers. 

xfinity Chat Transcript

CHAT STARTED AT Dec 18, 2019 3:24:24 PM

3:24:24 PM Andy : I wanted to sign up my wife for Xfinity mobile (I'm a current Xfinity customer), but I stopped when it required a SSN. Please let me know how to enroll w/out providing a SSN, as I am philosophically opposed to providing this - particularly since Im already a Comcast/Xfinity customer.

3:24:31 PM  System : You are now chatting with Mihai

3:24:37 PM Mihai :

Hello! Thank you for choosing Xfinity Mobile! I'm Mihai  and I am happy to assist you today. And rest assured you've landed in good hands, we're going to clarify all your queries together!

3:24:41 PM Mihai :
  How was your day so far?

3:24:46 PM Andy : Pretty good

3:24:49 PM Andy : and you?

3:26:02 PM Mihai :

I'm happy to hear that, and I hope it's only going to get better from now on!

3:26:11 PM Mihai : It's great so far. I just started my shift and i'm more than ready to assist great customers like you! Thank you for asking!

3:26:14 PM Andy : sounds like a good plan

3:26:34 PM Mihai : Since you are under my care now, I will definitely do my best to help you with your inquiry.

3:26:41 PM Andy : OK

3:28:20 PM Mihai : If you feel more comfortable to provide the details on the phone we also have the voice support department, ready to assist you. Here is the number  1 (888) 936-4968 .

3:28:40 PM Andy : I don't want to provide the SSN in any format.

3:29:00 PM Andy : I don't understand the need for it when I'm already a customer.

3:29:57 PM Mihai : Is necessary to be sure that the person who will place an order or open an Xfinity Mobile account is the account holder.

3:30:17 PM Mihai : Is for your protection of personal details.

3:30:18 PM Andy : Why? I bought a car just yesterday and didn't provide my SSN.

3:31:03 PM Andy : I'm logged in to my Xfinity account, my identity is known. Why request it again?

3:31:27 PM Mihai : Is necessary. The system require the details.

3:31:42 PM Andy : Why is it necessary? Why does the "system" require those details?

3:31:47 PM Mihai :

Let me say thank you for choosing Xfinity Mobile - the nation’s first wireless service combining America’s largest and most reliable 4G LTE network with 18 million Xfinity WiFi hotspots so you can save money! Your business is valuable to us and we promise to reward it with only premium treatment.

3:32:10 PM Andy : ?

3:32:47 PM Andy : Mihai, are you there?

3:32:56 PM Mihai : Yes.

3:33:18 PM Andy : Why does the system require a SSN? I don't think that question has been answered.

3:33:31 PM Mihai : Is necessary to be sure that the person who will place an order or open an Xfinity Mobile account is the account holder. 

3:33:46 PM Andy : I already have an account w/ Comcast/Xfinity

3:34:26 PM Mihai : I understand, and   to be sure that the person who will place an order or open an Xfinity Mobile account is the account holder we request personal details, and this details also include the SSN number. 

3:34:42 PM Andy : I will supply my drivers license

3:34:59 PM Andy : a SSN is NOT an identity number, it is a tax payer number.

3:35:15 PM Mihai : Here are more details about the credit check also  https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/credit-check-requirements .

3:35:31 PM Andy : it states no credit check will be performed

3:35:40 PM Andy : this has nothing to do with a credit check

3:35:58 PM Mihai : It will.

3:36:09 PM Andy : Why?

3:36:23 PM Andy : it states a credit check will NOT be done

3:36:32 PM Mihai : Andy, please let me know if you already have an Xfinity Mobile account.

3:36:56 PM Andy : I don't have an Xfinity Mobile account, but I do have an Xfinity account (internet, cable).

3:37:13 PM Mihai : In order to be eligible for Xfinity Mobile you need to have Xfinity Home Internet and also you will have to pass a credit check

3:37:43 PM Andy : I do have Xfinity Home Internet and have for years.

3:38:18 PM Andy : When I'm logged into my Xfinity account, my identity is already known. Why the unnecessary request for my SSN?

3:38:58 PM Mihai : We appreciate you to have you like a customer.

3:39:34 PM Andy : Why is the SSN required for existing customers whose identity is known?

3:39:59 PM Mihai : Is necessary to be sure that the person who will place an order or open an Xfinity Mobile account is the account holder. 

3:40:14 PM Mihai :

I provided  the information requested about  the personal details. Thank you for choosing Xfinity Mobile services. Please let me know if I can assist you with something else. 

3:41:05 PM Andy : you have not answered why a SSN is required for a current customer whose identity is already known.

3:42:23 PM Mihai : For security purpose.

3:42:38 PM Andy : What additional security does it provide?

3:43:58 PM Mihai : The confirmation that the person who provide the SSN number is the account holder.

3:44:30 PM Andy : It's the same person who has been paying the Xfinity bill every month for years.

3:45:05 PM Mihai : I believe you, but this personal details will confirm us that.

3:45:15 PM Andy : It is completely rude, lazy and inconsiderate to put all of your customers' SSNs at risk.

3:45:45 PM Mihai : If I was on your place I will feel the same.

3:45:52 PM Mihai :

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If there is, feel free to let me know. I'll gladly assist any way I can!

3:46:02 PM Andy : why would you feel the same?

3:47:29 PM Mihai : Sometimes when I go to the bank they always request my Identity card and sometimes I forget it at home. And is necessary to go back and take the ID with me.

3:47:54 PM Andy : Yes - like I said - I don't mind providing my drivers license.

3:49:18 PM Mihai : I understand, that and as much I wanted to work like this, the SSN is require.

3:50:40 PM Andy : What does SSN stand for? Social Security Number. It has to do with my tax ID and social security benefits - NOT getting a phone service from Xfinity.

3:53:27 PM Andy : Please be an advocate for your customer and: (1) escalate this issue to your management (2) have your management get back to me via email xxxx.xxx with their solution of a way I can pay Xfinity more to become a Xfinity Mobile customer WITHOUT providing an SSN

3:54:51 PM Andy : Mihai, Please be an advocate for your customer and: (1) escalate this issue to your management (2) have your management get back to me via email xxxx.xxx  with their solution of a way I can pay Xfinity more to become a Xfinity Mobile customer WITHOUT providing an SSN

3:55:05 PM Mihai : I will leave a note on your account about this situation.

3:55:22 PM Andy : Will that go to someone else at Xfinity?

3:55:24 PM Mihai : I am doing this right now.

3:55:30 PM Mihai : Yes.

3:55:39 PM Andy : Thank you