Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile Not Using the Full Verizon LTE Bandwidth?!

Contributor

Xfinity Mobile Not Using the Full Verizon LTE Bandwidth?!

According to Comcast, it appears that Xfinity mobile will only see an average of 5-12 Mbps down speeds and 2-5 Mbps up speeds. (https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

I was about to sign up with Xfinity Mobile, but those speeds are only a fraction of what Verizon's LTE network is capable of.  So I waited to sign up and wanted to see what people on Xfinity Mobile are experiencing speed wise, and see if an Xfinity Mobile rep has an answer to that one...  If Xfinity Mobile used Verizon's full network bandwidth, it'd be a no brainer to switch, but this made me re-think that...

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Mobile Not Using the Full Verizon LTE Bandwidth?!

A fair question is: What are the Verizon LTE speeds that Verizon customers are promised in Verizon's disclosure statement?

Contributor

That is a fair question, and of course, with Big Red, that is proving harder to find, but I used to be around 25-35 Mbps down speeds on Verizon a few years ago. 

But that is also why I'm wondering what kind of LTE speeds actual Xfinity Mobile users are seeing.  Maybe that bandwidth number from Comcast is like the pizza guy saying 45-1hour when they'll be there in 30 minutes, just being safe?

Frequent Visitor

IMG_2652.PNG 

This is what I got doing a speed test over LTE on Xfinity Mobile. This was an iPhone 6S Plus. I have no idea how accurate Ookla is or what people typlically receive on Verizon. I've never had Verizon before swtiching to Xfinity Mobile. Had AT&T before. Seems to be just as fast, if not faster, than AT&T for me. Hope this helps.

Contributor

mjaaa24 - What speeds were on the speed test?  For some reason, I can't see the picture...  And what area are you in?

Contributor

tacoma5050 - I think I may have found it (although it is in Verizon's "archive"): https://www.verizonwireless.com/archive/mobile-living/network-and-plans/4g-lte-speeds-compared-to-ho...

In particular, to quote part of it: "Verizon 4G LTE wireless broadband is 10 times faster than 3G—able to handle download speeds between 5 and 12 Mbps (Megabits per second) and upload speeds between 2 and 5 Mbps, with peak download speeds approaching 50 Mbps. Cable speeds vary, but 4 to 12 Mbps are common."

So maybe Xfinity Mobile just went with the same thing as Verizon but didn't put the statement about peak speeds.  Curious to know what speeds Xfinity Mobile users are getting.  My phone is getting on my nerves, so I'm looking to get an Galaxy S8, just need to decide on carrier...

Frequent Visitor

Oh sorry about the picture not showing. I can see it so not sure why it doesn't work.

Anyways, it showed 24.10 mbps download and 7.56 upload. Seems pretty good. A friend that has Verizon did a speed test and it was very similar, 25.2 mbps download and 7.41 mbps upload. I'm in Northwest Tucson, Arizona. (The small part of Arizona that is Comcast, most of Arizona is Cox.) I bet different parts of town and the country are better than others. On the Samsung Galaxy S7 that we also have on our plan, it showed LTE+ when I was in the Los Angeles area last week, but not here in Tucson. Could be faster there. Wish I would have taken a speed test while in the Los Angeles area.

Contributor

The last time I made the speed test I got the following results:

Xfinity Mobile

Download: 66Mbps

Upload: 9.97 Mbps

For comparison with Verizon at the same location:

Verizon:

Download: 67.15Mbps

Upload: 9.99 Mbps

Contributor

Sounds good, thanks guys!  Xfinity Mobile it is...  It seems that they put specs in line with Verizon's, kind of a baseline for lack of better words...

Contributor

I chose my earlier reply as the "solution" since it has the link in it, but thank you to all posters for your input, it is what brought upon the solution!