Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile LTE speed issues (since signing up a month ago) 1mbps all i'm getting

New Poster

Xfinity Mobile LTE speed issues (since signing up a month ago) 1mbps all i'm getting

I signed up for Xfinity Mobile a month ago and have been having this problem since I joined. Looking to see if someone can give me some pointers (mostly Xfinity employees).

I brought two of my own compatible devices to Xfinity mobile. An iPhone XR and and iPhone X. Both phones are consistently getting download speeds under 2mpbs at all times, I've done numerous speed tests in different areas. I live in CO and I just recently went on vacation to Virginia and I was seeing the same speeds there. I get good signal quality, usually 3 out of 4 bars on my phone (phone shows LTE) but i can't seem to get decent speeds. I know Verizon has better speeds than this. I was previously with AT&T where my speeds were always around 40mbps. 

I don't know if my account can be reprovisioned or maybe if i need new sim cards, or what but this is not acceptable. I like everything else about Xfinity mobile but it's way too slow. I used less than 1 gigabyte of data last month as the LTE is too slow, so I shouldn't be getting throttled. 

8bD09DP

Valued Contributor

Re: Xfinity Mobile LTE speed issues (since signing up a month ago) 1mbps all i'm getting

@petersenfam wrote:

I signed up for Xfinity Mobile a month ago and have been having this problem since I joined. Looking to see if someone can give me some pointers (mostly Xfinity employees).

I brought two of my own compatible devices to Xfinity mobile. An iPhone XR and and iPhone X. Both phones are consistently getting download speeds under 2mpbs at all times, I've done numerous speed tests in different areas. I live in CO and I just recently went on vacation to Virginia and I was seeing the same speeds there. I get good signal quality, usually 3 out of 4 bars on my phone (phone shows LTE) but i can't seem to get decent speeds. I know Verizon has better speeds than this. I was previously with AT&T where my speeds were always around 40mbps. 

I don't know if my account can be reprovisioned or maybe if i need new sim cards, or what but this is not acceptable. I like everything else about Xfinity mobile but it's way too slow. I used less than 1 gigabyte of data last month as the LTE is too slow, so I shouldn't be getting throttled. 

8bD09DP

If you live in a data traffic congested area, your speeds can get throttled (that is how Verizon works).  In terms of traffic congestion, Verizon postpaid customers get the first priority, then their prepaid customers, then the MVNOs (which is what xfinity mobile is) , etc.  I have noticed this at times when in a shopping mall, or in other busy areas (even with all bars, internet will just craw) but its hard to imagine such speeds even when you are at home and/or all the time.

I see the below language in the xfinity mobile plan pricing sheet:

In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Mobile LTE speed issues (since signing up a month ago) 1mbps all i'm getting

Hello petersenfam,

Thank you for reaching out to us through the Xfinity forum and my apologies for the inconvenience. Are you having any issues with download speeds when on Wi-Fi? Have you noticed if there have been any areas where you are getting faster download speeds on mobile data?

Network congestion could be an issue, but you mention to be getting the same slow speeds even in different parts of the country. Both of your iPhones are newer models, so I don’t anticipate this issue stemming from the built-in antennas. Generally speaking, changing the SIM card won’t necessarily affect your signal strength, but if it is a bad SIM card, it could prevent a connection to the network. Which prompts me my next question, have you been having any issues with your phone calls over the network?

Before delving into replacing your SIM cards, I would recommend a network reset. If you have not done this before, on your iPhone’s, go into ‘settings’, then ‘general’, then scroll to the bottom and select ‘reset’. There you will see the option to do a network reset. Let us know if this improves the situation at all.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!