Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile Caller ID displays "cell phone" rather than my name when I place a call

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Mobile Caller ID displays "cell phone" rather than my name when I place a call

My name does not appear on call recipients caller ID when I place a call. It shows as "cell phone." I have had several discussions with support personnel. Yesterday, I was told the Comast contract with their carrier does not allow Xfinity Mobile customers to have their name show on other's caller ID. They suggested making sure everyone has me as a contact so they will not ignore my call as an "unknown,"This seems ridiculous, and I would hope Comcast has some mechanism in place to correct this glitch. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this? My LG  phone does not give the option of entering any information that affects outgoing caller ID.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Mobile Caller ID displays "cell phone" rather than my name when I place a call

Hi ThePuck, unfortunately we don't have anything in place to execute this task. However we do listen to customer feedback, please click on this link and submit your request so that this can be changed in the near future. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Mobile Caller ID displays "cell phone" rather than my name when I place a call

I find this conversation both interesting and typical. You see, I also am looking for a way to alter what is displayed when I call a person who does not have me in their contact list. Except that in my case too much "correct" info is being displayed. I called someone tonight who never had my number before, and they said their caller id displayed my number and full name. FYI - I didn't really want them to have my full name yet.

This was an outgoing call from an LG M322 on xfinity mobile, to a landline phone number.

Official Employee

lobudgt, we do have a block caller ID option that we can apply to your line that will take all your information away and the caller ID on there end will read (unknown caller). please let me know if you need assistance in adding this feature. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I was trying to get my outgoing caller ID to show to whomever i called.   I could not find any function on my phone that would set this up. Many of the forum  Messages say that Comcast does not provide this function. However my wife and I both have the same iPhones and hers shows her full name to  whomever she is calling. She is away right now and has her phone with her so I cannot leave you her settings to find out what is different on her phone and then apply it to mine.  So the Conclusion of this message is that Comcast does somehow have the function.

New Poster

I moved my service from AT&T where I had proper name and number displayed for caller id.  On Xfinity it now says Wireless Caller and my number. I am constantly having my calls ignored due to the caller id.  Xfinity support has not been able to help.  I call Comcast in Phil, PA. They tried to help but said it can never be changed.  They apparently set the phone to "default".  They will not be able to change it at anytime in the forseeable future.  They said it is part odf the contract limitations with using Verizon towers. From my discussions with them thye feel that if I cancel phone and move it to another service where caller id can again be set then I should be able to add it back to the xfinity service after the caller id has been changed.

I'm looking at changing to Mint on the 3 month plan for $15.  We will see what happens.  

New Poster

I tried to go to Mint, however, they use Wireless Caller: for all their numbers.  Xfinity techs in their wisdom did change my Id now to Name Unavailable, ugh...

Valued Contributor

@stevenrswanson wrote:

I tried to go to Mint, however, they use Wireless Caller: for all their numbers.  Xfinity techs in their wisdom did change my Id now to Name Unavailable, ugh...

I asked them to correct a mispelling in my caller ID. Instead they erased it and replaced it with the name of a nearby city.

Contributor

This is an issue that persists as of 08/09/2019.  According to Xfinity, if you move to their service from Verizon (and maybe other carriers,) a Caller ID cannot be established or forwarded to your phone(s).  You now have a generic ID that does not describe your phone(s).  Xfinity does not provide any hope that this issue will be resolved.  And yes, there is a very real chance that your calls will be blocked because the call recipient cannot identify whether the call is legitimate or not.

This is an issue that is bigger than Xfinity or Verizon.  <Edited>

Regular Contributor

"Wireless Caller is the default and what ALL MNVO's offer

- Bill
Contributor

@WKG wrote:

I have no idea what a "MNVO" is, nor that the practice is "default".  Default WHAT?  It is for sure WRONG, and needs to be addressed immediately.  As I said, the FTC and/or the FCC need to be engaged, as consumers' calls are routinely being blocked or ignored by call recipients when they cannot determine if the call is legitimate.  Consumers need to get proactive and so does Xfinity.  Xfinity is a major part of the the problem.

Regular Contributor

Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon and is an MNVO. Default is well defined. If you call recipient choose to answer phone then leave a message.
- Bill
Official Employee

WKG is correct. Apologies for the inconvenience, mwileym! But we are unable to change the caller ID for XFINITY mobile accounts. If your caller ID says anything but Wireless caller, we can get that corrected, but otherwise, Wireless caller is the defaulted name. 

Ken

Regular Contributor

You will pay far more to a regulat Carrier (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint for service wher you can do this.

- Bill
Regular Contributor

It's an inconveniece to me, not a problem given the price difference.

- Bill