Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile Android WiFi Calling

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Mobile Android WiFi Calling

Got the update today on my S8.
Regular Visitor

Sorry, turns out it is an S8 my wife has. She got it last fall.
Contributor

No need to say sorry, I assumed it was a S8 since she received the update. Just wanted to make sure as nobody on this thread with a S9 or S9+ has gotten it yet.

Frequent Visitor

Really? You're complaining? I didn't expect wifi on android until maybe the end of this year. This is like an early Thanksgiving treat. I am quite sure the whole Samsung line will be updated over the next week or so. You have to trust that there is a method to the madness. Just have a little patience, please!
Frequent Visitor

Interesting thought. But I don't think their rollout of updates could be that complex. I think Samsung has been working on this Xfinity update for a while now and it's simply ready now. A lot of phones to update I'd imagine. I think it's more likely to be regional as opposed to when you bought it.
Regular Visitor

I almost wonder if an engineer typed in S8 and S8+ instead of S9 for the rollout Smiley Happy

Not hearing of anyone with an S9 or S9+ that has received the update, but everyone with an S8 or Note 9 seems to be getting the update??

-Daniel

Frequent Visitor

I am pretty sure you're gonna see the s9 update shortly. The phones are similar in architecture.
Frequent Visitor

Anybody get the update on a Note 8?

Frequent Visitor

Since they're probably updating the latest versions first, you might want to try a manual software update. The architecture of the 8 is similar to the 9. I got the update for my note 9 two days ago.
Official Employee

Hello all, here is some updated information on Wi-Fi calling on Android devices. 

Which Android devices are compatible with WiFi Calling? 
The Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+, S9/S9+, Note8 and Note9 as well as the LG Stylo 4 are compatible with WiFi Calling on Xfinity Mobile. Moving forward, all new Samsung and LG devices offered by Xfinity Mobile will support WiFi Calling.

Which Android devices do not support WiFi Calling and why?
Some older Android devices are not compatible with WiFi Calling on Xfinity Mobile, including the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, LG xPower and LG xCharge.

Also, due to technical limitations, Motorola devices are not compatible with WiFi Calling at this time but will be at some point in 2019.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Just got the update on Note 8 FYI.

Bummer to find out the LG X Charge won't get wifi calling as that's my 2nd line.
Regular Visitor

Update: Xfinity called me this evening. Turns out there are technical issues going on and that is why S9 and S9+ are not getting updates. They hope to have the issues resolved in the next 1-3 weeks. Very disappointing.
Contributor

Kudos to @ComcastAmir I sent him PM and this moring I was abale to download and install the October 1st Security patch and the WIFI Calling feature on my S9+! It works great!

Contributor

I automatically received the software update overnight on my S9+ so it should be available to all S9/S9+ models. If you have not received it yet, perfrom a manual update and it should pop right up.

Frequent Visitor

I just downloaded and installed the latest update. I still don't have the option to do WiFi calling on my S9.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
Frequent Visitor

Are you sure you're looking in the right place? I was mistaken that the answer was in general settings under wifi and connections. Its not. Tap the phone icon. Tap the 3 vertical dots in upper right corner. Tap settings. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. There should be a selection to turn on wifi calling. Hope this helps. It worked on my note 9.
Frequent Visitor

That worked!!
Thank you!
New Poster

I got it on my Note 8....I had to go to the phone dialer and go into the settings from there. I saw the wifi calling feature. I turned it on and had to set my address for 911....after that it works Smiley Happy

New Poster

I can confirm I was able to enable the setting and make calls today while in Beijing. Either just try to make a call on WiFi only and it asks if you want to enable it, or access it via the call settings menu.
Frequent Visitor

The only android phone that I know for sure that has wifi-calling on XM is the LG Stylo 4. 

Frequent Visitor

There are many android phones which now support wifi calling on Xfinity mobile. Among them are most of the newer Samsung Galaxy Notes and numerous others.
Frequent Visitor

please comcast help me. My note 8 seems to stay stuck on the March 2018 security update and says i am up to date, android 8.0. Nowhere in the dialer settings or phone settings does wifi calling show.

Frequent Visitor

Comcastamir should get you the help in manually updating the android software.
New Poster

Any word on if the LG k-30 does have or will have Wi-Fi calling?
New Poster

Any news on the Xfinity version of LG K30. I just installed Android 8 (includes Xfinity mobile boot splash screen) on 2 devices and now Activate Wifi calling is listed in the settings under Network & Internet-> Advanced Calling. However, after receiving the message "This my take a few moments", it errors out with the error message "Unable to activate Wi-Fi calling at this time.  Please try again later."

Frequent Visitor

Not sure if it matters, but is the phone connected to a wifi that its signed into, password etc?
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious to see if Android WiFi calling exhibits the same issues as the Iphones on  the network. 

There is a huge thread on it here : https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/WiFi-calling-frequent-drops-and-call-failed-issues/td-p...

Basically in areas with low Cell signal. An area you would want to use WiFi Calling the network/software seems to want to switch to cellular even if the signal can't support the call thus dropping the call. Only way around this so far has been to put the phone in Airplane mode. 

New Poster

I'd be surprised if it didn't.  It sounds like a comcat/verizon problem.  

Android users, please post your experience!!!!  Are the dropped call an issue for android phones as well?

I'd really like to join comcast mobile, but I need reliable wifi calling Smiley Sad

New Poster

My K30 is not working either - I get the same message when I try to activate.  I've made sure I have both a good wi-fi and cell connection when doing it and rebooted the phone.

New Poster

So I have had wifi calling in my s8 for a few weeks now. And the situation seems worse than what described in the Iphone thread. On iphones, the issue seems to be call drops. In my case, it just doesn't work. Not able to receive calls, not able to emit call.

Here is more details:

- at home I have strong Wifi and strong celullar signal, Wifi calling works.

- at work, I have strong wifi and no celullar signal, Wifi calling does not work. I am both unable to receive calls and to emit calls. 

The weird thing is that it was initially working fine and I was happy, but I received a second update shortly after the initial Wifi calling roll out, and this seems to align with when Wifi calling stopped working.

Frequent Visitor

It appears that somehow, you have not actually activated wifi calling. Logic, based on your description, dictates that your calling only works in the presence of a strong cell signal. Hence, the wifi calling is not activated.
New Poster

So in the phone app, under call settings, wifi calling is enabled (slider is on the right and green).

Under the option, I have a "mobile network preferred" though. if I click the option, I do not get to set the preference (I van only update emergency address, or specify a preference when roaming -- it is set to wifi in my case).

screen.jpg

Also, when making call without celullar network, the call button does not show the wifi symbol.

Final note: before the second update, I was able to make calls in airplane mode with wifi connected. It does not seem to be the case anymore.

Official Employee

Babinsky wrote: 

So in the phone app, under call settings, wifi calling is enabled (slider is on the right and green).

Under the option, I have a "mobile network preferred" though. if I click the option, I do not get to set the preference (I van only update emergency address, or specify a preference when roaming -- it is set to wifi in my case).

Also, when making call without celullar network, the call button does not show the wifi symbol.

Final note: before the second update, I was able to make calls in airplane mode with wifi connected. It does not seem to be the case anymore.

Hello, I can assist you with getting this feature working properly. Please send me a private message with your full name by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message" and we can get started. For all others experiencing this same issue please send me a private message as well for further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!