Community Forum

Xfinity Mobile Android WiFi Calling

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Mobile Android WiFi Calling

When will wifi calling be available for Android phones? Please don't say you don't know or we are working on it. I am looking for a specific date or range. I can't keep going any longer without having wifi calling in the area I live.
Thanks,
Daniel
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity Mobile Android WiFi Calling

@ddoumani wrote:
When will wifi calling be available for Android phones? Please don't say you don't know or we are working on it. I am looking for a specific date or range. I can't keep going any longer without having wifi calling in the area I live.
Thanks,
Daniel

keep checking  back for  updates  but  fore  right now dont look for  it any time soon   if you need wifi calling  should have got in a apple iphone  if that was importen  too you 

New Poster

Woah how rude bro. You dont just change what OS you use when you want. Anyhoo. I think that with the variety of android phones it's much harder to actually create something that works on all of them than it is for the much smaller variety on iPhone. So they have a lot of stuff to do to get android working with features already available not to mention BYOD. It's sad, really, but it's just not a priority at the moment from what I've seen.
New Poster

first:  Snow youre a knucklehead.  Learn how to spell before trolling someone.  Apple is garbage.

second:  Xfinity.  Its been real but this is BS.  Switching back to sprint.  This wifi calling garbage is ridiculous.

New Poster

Back to the actual question.

When will Wifi calling be availble for your line of Samsung Phones?

Regular Contributor

@Treyshadow wrote:

Back to the actual question.

When will Wifi calling be availble for your line of Samsung Phones?

it will not be aavailble any time soon for any android  has wifi calling for android is in beta  and will be  out when its ready 

Official Employee

Hello all, we're actively working on getting this feature enabled for Android users. There is no set date on when the feature will be released, you can check back in periodically online or on our main page here for updates. Have a good day. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I just switched Xfinity Mobile yesterday, and there was no mention of this when I signed up.  I have had 3 dropped calls today from my $1000 Note 9.  I had Verizon and WiFi calling on my other Samsung, never an issue.  Please expidite this process!

Regular Visitor

I am just really sick of hearing it will be available soon and please check back here for updates. If it will be availalbe soon we should at least be able to get a rough estimate. Can someone that actually works at Xfinity Mobile (not tech support) comment on a date? I am about to leave and go back to Verizon as well. If you told me it will be before the end of 2018 that is information that would most likely keep me as a customer.

-Daniel

Bronze Problem Solver

@ddoumani wrote:

I am just really sick of hearing it will be available soon and please check back here for updates. If it will be availalbe soon we should at least be able to get a rough estimate. Can someone that actually works at Xfinity Mobile (not tech support) comment on a date? I am about to leave and go back to Verizon as well. If you told me it will be before the end of 2018 that is information that would most likely keep me as a customer.

-Daniel

ComcastAmir is a comcast employee. In another thread he wrote:

"There have been no concrete estimates, no mention of any beta or testing that the community can get involved in, and not even answers to any of our questions other than "soon."

At this point I don't even think it will happen in 2018."

Source:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Android-Wifi-Calling-ETA/m-p/3103488#M13892

Frequent Visitor

Android phones use a CSC setting to turn on wifi calling. If you root your phone right now and change wifi_calling=0 to =1 you will instantly have functional wifi calling. I've personally done it on xfinity mobile. There is no logical reason that this hasn't been rolled out, unless you're able to explain. Why is something that you have direct control over that literally requires a 0 changed to a 1 not been rolled out? There is post after post of "by the end of 2018" on this forum. You people have been stringing us along to keep the service with clearly no intent delivering. At this point unless you can explain other that just a shrug and "maybe soonish", you're admitting that you've been lying for over a year and deliberately misleading customers to keep them on board.

Official Employee

mvenanzi wrote: ComcastAmir is a comcast employee. In another thread he wrote:

"There have been no concrete estimates, no mention of any beta or testing that the community can get involved in, and not even answers to any of our questions other than "soon."

At this point I don't even think it will happen in 2018."

Source:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Android-Wifi-Calling-ETA/m-p/3103488#M13892

Thank you for clarifying, here is my original post. (I wish I had good news for you but unfortunately there is still no set date on when Wi-Fi calling will be available for Android devices. The beta program is a select few customers and mainly Xfinity employees. There is no way to sign up for the program, but I am confident that the feature will be rolling out soon.)

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

RE: rstovall,

I have researched rooting the Note9 to enable wifi calling.  It is possable on the non-us versions of the phone. However, the versions that Xfinity ships out are US. (SM-N960U) 

If there is a work-around for this model, please advise!  Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

sorry, i'm on a GS8. Keep your eyes on the XDA forums for a root method in the future.

New Poster

xfinity just lost my girlfriend as a customer,  she tried the service for a week and switched back due to lack of signal in her house with an xfinity modem.

Contributor

The phones use verizon network service not Xfinity modems. However you can use Xfinity wifi hot spots for data.
Regular Contributor

@matt96teg wrote:
The phones use verizon network service not Xfinity modems. However you can use Xfinity wifi hot spots for data.

Well, 2lurk never said what service his girlfriend purchased. Maybe she didn't know either?

New Poster

They did not get an crapple device because they are junk. You can't even call them a smartphone. They are social devices period. They got an Android because they are for adults. Upgrade to Samsung.
Regular Contributor

Regular Visitor

I have the latest OS on my Samsung S9 but I don't see any Network and Internet option in my settings to turn it on.. Anyone else seeing it?

-Daniel

@snow7551 wrote:

looks like android  WiFi calling is rolloing  out now 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/it-looks-like-android-Wifi-calling-is-rolling-out-now/t...

Regular Contributor

@ddoumani wrote:

I have the latest OS on my Samsung S9 but I don't see any Network and Internet option in my settings to turn it on.. Anyone else seeing it?

-Daniel

@snow7551 wrote:

looks like android  WiFi calling is rolloing  out now 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/it-looks-like-android-Wifi-calling-is-rolling-out-now/t...

so far it looks like its only out for  the  LG Stylo 4   but more  will be added  soon 

Regular Visitor

The documentation has been updated to support Samsung S9 and S9+. However, I just followed the instructions and I don't see an option to enable Wifi calling. Even better, I reached out to Xfinity Mobile support and they told me they don't support wifi calling for Android, but are working on it. What a joke!

Regular Contributor

@ddoumani wrote:

The documentation has been updated to support Samsung S9 and S9+. However, I just followed the instructions and I don't see an option to enable Wifi calling. Even better, I reached out to Xfinity Mobile support and they told me they don't support wifi calling for Android, but are working on it. What a joke!

Obviously this requires a software update to the phone and you do not have it yet.

Regular Visitor

@gderf wrote:

@ddoumani wrote:

Obviously this requires a software update to the phone and you do not have it yet.

I reached out to support. According to them there is an update that is starting to go out today..

Regular Contributor

@ddoumani wrote:

@gderf wrote:

@ddoumani wrote:

I reached out to support. According to them there is an update that is starting to go out today..

That explains it. Keep checking for updates.

Once you have it enabled then you can determine if you are going to be plagued by the problems many have been reporting about dropped calls, etc with WiFi calling on iPhones.

Contributor

All kb's are up-to-date, they added Note, S9, S9+

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/360000126366/what-is-wifi-calling

But, no option on the phone to enable....wondering how they are going to push this feature....

Contributor

Really glad Android WiFi calling is now enabled and before the 2018 year end deadline!

Tested WiFi calling briefly yesterday and it appears to work fine on my Android phone. Not sure what "issues" people faced in the past; may have to investigate that. 

The Android news I read yesterday also reminded me that we still needed to enable WiFi calling on my wife's iPhone. Strangely when she spoke to support ~ 1 month ago they had said she needed a new SIM card! In short, she did not get a new SIM card; all I did was enable WiFi calling via the phone's settings menu in a matter of a few minutes, including time required to enter required info for 911.

I will start a thread dedictated to the following question:

What is the default / recommended option for the 'WiFi calling when Roaming' setting:

Prefer Mobile while roaming

or

Prefer Wifi while roaming?

Contributor

What Android phone do you have?

Contributor

@marnow wrote:

What Android phone do you have?

I have the Note 9.

Regular Visitor

I just called Xfinity and they said it could take 3-5 business days to receive the update that enables Wifi calling. I will wait and see..

Contributor

I have S9+ and yes, we will see....

Frequent Visitor

There was no update rolled out on October 29th and it is still not rolled out as of November 2nd at 4:00 am. If it was rolled out you could force push it to your device by manually checking for updates which currently shows nothing available.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Contributor

FWIW: WiFi calling working here.  Note 9.

Regular Visitor

You can use Samsung Smart Switch to get the latest update instead of waiting for OTA rollout.

Check here

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-update-your-samsung-phone-smart-switch

Contributor

Thanks for the advice. No new updates.

Regular Visitor

On S9 - Still no update. What a joke. Every time I call to complain they say you should be receiving it today..

Frequent Visitor

Just got a Samsung software update today on my Note 9. The update includes wifi calling. So problem solved, for me anyway. But I have to assume that it is now rolling out to all you Xfinity android users. Great news!
Official Employee

ddoumani wrote: On S9 - Still no update. What a joke. Every time I call to complain they say you should be receiving it today..

I can assist you with getting this feature pushed to your S9, to get started please send me a private message with your full name and phone number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message". 

Regular Visitor

hi I bought two galaxy s9 last night because of the wifi calling feature and it is not on the phones. could you send me the update too please?
Contributor

Go into Settings/Software update and tap on "Download updates manually".

New Poster

Available now on Samsung Galaxy S8+.  Downloaded update this morning. 

Regular Visitor

On S9. Still no update. Download update manually says updates are up to date.
New Poster

Just manually downloaded the update for my S8.

Contributor

No updates for S9+ so far.

@ComcastAmir, I sent you PM. 

Regular Visitor

@ComcastAmir wrote:

ddoumani wrote: On S9 - Still no update. What a joke. Every time I call to complain they say you should be receiving it today..

I can assist you with getting this feature pushed to your S9, to get started please send me a private message with your full name and phone number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message". 

I sent you a PM for my wife and myself.

Contributor

Got update for S8+
Frequent Visitor

Why are the S8 models getting an update before the S9 models? The S8 is not even listed as having wifi calling available yet and the S9/S9+ are listed as of having it 6 days ago...

New Poster

S8+ just got the update OMG yaaaaayyy
Regular Visitor

Those that are getting the update, when did you get your phones? Wonder if they are sending it based on activation dates? I got my S9 earlier this year. Still no update. My wife got her S9 last fall. She just got the update now by manually updating.
Frequent Visitor

S9/S9+ went on sale in March 2018, not last fall.