Community Forum

XM Wi-Fi

Contributor

XM Wi-Fi

While connected to my wireless network, my phone sometimes indicates Xfinity Mobile and sometimes indicates XM Wi-Fi. I called tech support to question why it didn't always indicate XM Wi-Fi. Didn't get any answer for that, but during the explanation the tech mentioned that when in XM Wi-Fi mode the phone would teeter-totter (her words) between using wifi and cellular data for the call. We had a long discussion on why billable cellular data would be used on a free wifi call. I can't believe that a wifi call would use billable cellular data. Can someone please give me the facts. Thanks.

Contributor

Re: XM Wi-Fi

Interesting post -

you mention "cellular data for the call" - was your call outside the  "Unlimited nationwide talk and text"?

Nationwide calls are free regardless of whether it's a cellular of WIFI call.

They only bill for cellular data usage.

Please let me know if I am missing something.  Thanks

Contributor

Not a cellular call. The tech stated that a wifi call (XM Wi-Fi) uses both wifi and cellular data (teeter tottering between the two). That doesn't sound logical to me. If it's true, it's a problem as cellular data is billed.

Official Employee

Hi egertz, the information that the tech shared is correct. If you go out of the range for Wi-Fi or lose connection to Wi-Fi then the phone will switch automatically to your phones data. For more information on this please click this link

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks for responding ComcastAmir. When out of wifi range, why would the call switch to cellular data instead of cellular voice?  I read the information at the link you provided, and it is still not clear to me. Quoted from that link: "If you move out of WiFi range while on a call, the call will automatically use a cellular connection if available." That doesn't state whether the cellular connection is voice or data. I apologize for being dense about this, but I've never heard of Wi-Fi calling using the carrier's cellular data network.

Official Employee

egertz wrote: Thanks for responding ComcastAmir. When out of wifi range, why would the call switch to cellular data instead of cellular voice?  I read the information at the link you provided, and it is still not clear to me. Quoted from that link: "If you move out of WiFi range while on a call, the call will automatically use a cellular connection if available." That doesn't state whether the cellular connection is voice or data. I apologize for being dense about this, but I've never heard of Wi-Fi calling using the carrier's cellular data network.

When you make a phone call via Wi-Fi and the signal drops the feature is designed to look for other sources of data to complete the phone call, this feature is not designed to switch from a data call to a cellular call within the same call. If you're on data then the connection has to remain Wi-Fi or LTE data. When you make a call via cell tower or without Wi-Fi you won't be able to switch the call over to a Wi-Fi call without hanging up and completing the call again. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

The piece that everyone is missing here is that VoLTE calling is free (within the US). It doesn't count against your billable cellular data even though it is technically using the data network.

Even if you don't have WiFi calling enabled, your phone is first going to try to use LTE data to make a voice call, before it tries to use the CDMA voice network. VoLTE has the advantages of better voice quality and it allows you to use your phone's data features while on a voice call.
Contributor

Mike,

thanks. I was unaware of VoLTE calling. I also didn't realize that voice traffic over the data network does not count against billable cellular data.

Official Employee

I am with -Mike on this one. VoLTE calling is free. The XM Wifi indicator means that you are placing a wiFi call. If the signal switches to XFINITY Mobile during the call, it means the wiFi signal was not strong enough to maintain so it switched to the cellular network. Regardless, there is no additional fee, as -Mike mentioned. 

KenF