Community Forum

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Regular Visitor

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Good afternoon,

It's been a couple weeks since Xfinity wireless rolled out 8.0 to my Samsung Galaxy S8. I downloaded it overnight that night and installed it the next day. After that upgrade, the phone lost its ability to connect to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots. It gets stuck on "connecting" and if you sit and watch it long enough, it'll show the following error: "failed to obtain IP address". I did quite a bit of research on what could be causing it and even spent some time on the phone with Comcast support and they advised me to do many of the things I'd tried before, such as performing a network reset. In the end they just connected me to Samsung and told me that I would be best served by taking it directly to them at their kiosk in Best Buy. I decided against that and just waited for a hotfix to come through. Today I decided to head down to a brick and mortar Xfinity store to see if I could get to the bottom of this and ask if it was a known issue. After about an hour of hand-wringing and walking back through the troubleshooting steps I'd already done, the employee told me that since I hadn't purchased insurance I was on the hook for a new phone. Excuse me, what? This is a last-ditch effort before I just trade this phone in to Samsung and get a different one since apparently Xfinity's trade-in program gives you peanuts.

tl;dr: if you're still reading, thank you. Here's what I know and what I don't know

1) After Android 8.0 update, connecting to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots does not work

2) Connecting to any other kind of WiFi works just fine. Whether it's my Wireless APs in the office, Chick-Fil-A WiFi (or anything that requires you to connect to a page, click a box, and accept terms)

3) Core functionality of the phone is otherwise unaffected. Phone calls, texts, internet browsing, all of that is fine.

4) I tried any troubleshooting that I could find just short of hard resetting the phone, until...

5) While in the store, we also tried performing a hard reset on the phone, which did not resolve the issue

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is my only option REALLY to buy a different phone for something that is a core feature of the service and is broke because of a software update that I didn't have any control over?

Thanks in advance.

Official Employee

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

bschmalzer, thanks for posting. Let's take a closer look at your autoconnect issues. 

Please provide me with the following in private message: 

1. Device OEM: Apple/Samsung/LG? I know you said Samsung. Thanks! 

2. Device WiFi MAC

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? If yes, when is the start date/time for the issue?

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? Exact time not required.

7. Location where the issue occurred?

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?

Thanks, 

KenF

New Poster

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

I have the same problem "fail to obtain IP address" when connecting xfinitywifi, it happened yesterday. My phone model is samsung galaxy s4. So how do you fix this problem?

Regular Visitor

This is incredibly frustrating.  Is there a fix, workaround, etc. available.  Can Xfinity give us the steps it takes to unwind the Hotspots app and whatever hooks it has deployed internally to the phone (I've already tried uninstalling it)?

Regular Visitor

Same issue.  Here are my problems.  I really need this addressed.

1. Device OEM: SAMSUNG GALAXY 7 

2. Device WiFi MAC

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?  AT ALL xfinitywifi CONNECTIONS I ATTEMPT (e.g. Work, favorite restaurants, etc.)

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?  ALL LOCATIONS WITH xfinitywifi CONNECTIONS

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? YES, ISSUE STARTED SOMETIME IN APRIL.

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? SOMETIME IN MID-APRIL ON ALL OF MY DEVICES THAT HAD THE XFINITY HOTSPOTS APP INSTALLED AT ONE TIME.  MY WIFE'S PHONE (SAME MODEL) NEVER HAD THE XFINITY HOTSPOTS APP AND WORKS FINE.

7. Location where the issue occurred?  EVERYWHERE

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?  NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF OTHER THAN HOTSPOTS FROM XFINITY

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?  ON

Regular Visitor

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER'S ISSUE?

New Poster

I'm having the same issue (word for word).  All other wi-fi connections work fine, except xfinitywifi.  I've tried "forgetting" the connection and reconnecting ... nothing.

Contributor

@JBinTN wrote:

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER'S ISSUE?

Good luck with that. From everything I've read in this forum it's "Send me a PM mail..."  and then it's   "Glad you got your issue resolved... Blah, blah, blah...."  You never see the solution posted in the thread. You know - where it could actually help others.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus here. Provded by Xfinity Mobile. Upgraded to Oreo at their request.  (When they couldn't figure out some other issues) Same (intermittant) connectivity issues on unsecured "xfinitywifi" as described in this thread, but with the added bonus issue of being totally unable to connect to the secured "XFINITY" wifi hotsposts. Apparently I need to "Select a CA Certificate" but none are availble to select. Go figure. Over the past 3 weeks Tier 1 tech support, Tier 2 tech support, and Tier 3 "Engineering" (That's so funny) is totally clueless on how to resolve this.  CLUELESS!!  

New Poster

Same problem, no internet on all Xfinity hotspots. Any resolution ?
New Poster

I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone! Also, it is absolutely, most definitely NOT your phone! It's Xfinity/Comcast. They have no idea how to handle this problem, so instead of coming out and saying that, they point fingers at everyone else. I have had many phones, it this public "Xfinity" hotspot is always a problem, which is really aweful b/c sometimes I splurge and pay for a week's worth of wifi, then I can't even use it! So to recap, it's not your phone or your carrier, it's Xfinity.
Regular Visitor

So, because I couldn't connect to xfinity wifi from my phone, and because the World Cup is played (for the most part) during working hours in the USA, and because my office graciously provides a public wifi presence VIA XFINITY(!), I had to use mobile minutes to listen/watch/surf and do all of the other things we people tethered to a GD phone do.  The extra mobile minutes last month turned out to be $75....  the frustration: inestimable.

I think one of the other posters was on to something regarding CA certificates... but I'm no Android security-internals expert; I know they made a lot of changes to the certificates in Oreo...but the fact that xfinity's phone app (apparently) corrupted the phone's internal CA storage and they can't fix it?  Unbelievable.

Considering cutting the cord......   really.

Regular Visitor

KenF, 

I haven't see any comment from an Xfinity rep on this CONTINUING problem.  What is the particular step-by-step solution?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XFINITY-and-xfinitywifi-hotspots-not-working-after-Andr...