Community Forum

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Regular Visitor

XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

Good afternoon,

It's been a couple weeks since Xfinity wireless rolled out 8.0 to my Samsung Galaxy S8. I downloaded it overnight that night and installed it the next day. After that upgrade, the phone lost its ability to connect to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots. It gets stuck on "connecting" and if you sit and watch it long enough, it'll show the following error: "failed to obtain IP address". I did quite a bit of research on what could be causing it and even spent some time on the phone with Comcast support and they advised me to do many of the things I'd tried before, such as performing a network reset. In the end they just connected me to Samsung and told me that I would be best served by taking it directly to them at their kiosk in Best Buy. I decided against that and just waited for a hotfix to come through. Today I decided to head down to a brick and mortar Xfinity store to see if I could get to the bottom of this and ask if it was a known issue. After about an hour of hand-wringing and walking back through the troubleshooting steps I'd already done, the employee told me that since I hadn't purchased insurance I was on the hook for a new phone. Excuse me, what? This is a last-ditch effort before I just trade this phone in to Samsung and get a different one since apparently Xfinity's trade-in program gives you peanuts.

tl;dr: if you're still reading, thank you. Here's what I know and what I don't know

1) After Android 8.0 update, connecting to xfinitywifi and XFINITY hotspots does not work

2) Connecting to any other kind of WiFi works just fine. Whether it's my Wireless APs in the office, Chick-Fil-A WiFi (or anything that requires you to connect to a page, click a box, and accept terms)

3) Core functionality of the phone is otherwise unaffected. Phone calls, texts, internet browsing, all of that is fine.

4) I tried any troubleshooting that I could find just short of hard resetting the phone, until...

5) While in the store, we also tried performing a hard reset on the phone, which did not resolve the issue

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is my only option REALLY to buy a different phone for something that is a core feature of the service and is broke because of a software update that I didn't have any control over?

Thanks in advance.

Official Employee

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

bschmalzer, thanks for posting. Let's take a closer look at your autoconnect issues. 

Please provide me with the following in private message: 

1. Device OEM: Apple/Samsung/LG? I know you said Samsung. Thanks! 

2. Device WiFi MAC

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? If yes, when is the start date/time for the issue?

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? Exact time not required.

7. Location where the issue occurred?

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?

Thanks, 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

I have the same problem "fail to obtain IP address" when connecting xfinitywifi, it happened yesterday. My phone model is samsung galaxy s4. So how do you fix this problem?

Frequent Visitor

This is incredibly frustrating.  Is there a fix, workaround, etc. available.  Can Xfinity give us the steps it takes to unwind the Hotspots app and whatever hooks it has deployed internally to the phone (I've already tried uninstalling it)?

Frequent Visitor

Same issue.  Here are my problems.  I really need this addressed.

1. Device OEM: SAMSUNG GALAXY 7 

2. Device WiFi MAC

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?  AT ALL xfinitywifi CONNECTIONS I ATTEMPT (e.g. Work, favorite restaurants, etc.)

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?  ALL LOCATIONS WITH xfinitywifi CONNECTIONS

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? YES, ISSUE STARTED SOMETIME IN APRIL.

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? SOMETIME IN MID-APRIL ON ALL OF MY DEVICES THAT HAD THE XFINITY HOTSPOTS APP INSTALLED AT ONE TIME.  MY WIFE'S PHONE (SAME MODEL) NEVER HAD THE XFINITY HOTSPOTS APP AND WORKS FINE.

7. Location where the issue occurred?  EVERYWHERE

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?  NOT THAT I'M AWARE OF OTHER THAN HOTSPOTS FROM XFINITY

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?  ON

Frequent Visitor

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER'S ISSUE?

New Poster

I'm having the same issue (word for word).  All other wi-fi connections work fine, except xfinitywifi.  I've tried "forgetting" the connection and reconnecting ... nothing.

Contributor

@JBinTN wrote:

WHAT IS THE STATUS OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER'S ISSUE?

Good luck with that. From everything I've read in this forum it's "Send me a PM mail..."  and then it's   "Glad you got your issue resolved... Blah, blah, blah...."  You never see the solution posted in the thread. You know - where it could actually help others.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus here. Provded by Xfinity Mobile. Upgraded to Oreo at their request.  (When they couldn't figure out some other issues) Same (intermittant) connectivity issues on unsecured "xfinitywifi" as described in this thread, but with the added bonus issue of being totally unable to connect to the secured "XFINITY" wifi hotsposts. Apparently I need to "Select a CA Certificate" but none are availble to select. Go figure. Over the past 3 weeks Tier 1 tech support, Tier 2 tech support, and Tier 3 "Engineering" (That's so funny) is totally clueless on how to resolve this.  CLUELESS!!  

New Poster

Same problem, no internet on all Xfinity hotspots. Any resolution ?
New Poster

I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone! Also, it is absolutely, most definitely NOT your phone! It's Xfinity/Comcast. They have no idea how to handle this problem, so instead of coming out and saying that, they point fingers at everyone else. I have had many phones, it this public "Xfinity" hotspot is always a problem, which is really aweful b/c sometimes I splurge and pay for a week's worth of wifi, then I can't even use it! So to recap, it's not your phone or your carrier, it's Xfinity.
Frequent Visitor

So, because I couldn't connect to xfinity wifi from my phone, and because the World Cup is played (for the most part) during working hours in the USA, and because my office graciously provides a public wifi presence VIA XFINITY(!), I had to use mobile minutes to listen/watch/surf and do all of the other things we people tethered to a GD phone do.  The extra mobile minutes last month turned out to be $75....  the frustration: inestimable.

I think one of the other posters was on to something regarding CA certificates... but I'm no Android security-internals expert; I know they made a lot of changes to the certificates in Oreo...but the fact that xfinity's phone app (apparently) corrupted the phone's internal CA storage and they can't fix it?  Unbelievable.

Considering cutting the cord......   really.

Frequent Visitor

KenF, 

I haven't see any comment from an Xfinity rep on this CONTINUING problem.  What is the particular step-by-step solution?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XFINITY-and-xfinitywifi-hotspots-not-working-after-Andr...

Frequent Visitor

Just a final note:  I got a new phone and the problem has disappeared.  Not being able to connect to Xfinity from Jun-Sep, when I got my new phone, has cost me over $180 in overage charges.  My laptop is still messed up.  Thanks Xfinity!  NOT NOT NOT  It is amazing how useless all tiers of technical support have been through this.  Useless.

New Poster

It's always something wrong with Comcast the problem won't get fixed it just magically goes away after a week or 2 had this same problem before now it's back again.
New Poster

Having the same issue on my galaxy note 9. It's been about 2 weeks now and nothing I do fixes the issue can NOT connect to xfinitywifi or Xfinity hotspots have my roku with me while I house sit and can not get it to connect either, they dont have wifi at the moment turned it off to save money while they are away. Really stinks, wanted to watch Netflix and cant even do that, thanks xfinity... not!
Contributor

Same thing here.  Again!

Like the post above yours stated, mine magically started working again this past winter. All of a sudden a few days ago, no connection to "XFINITY" or "xfinitywifi" WiFi hotspots. The lowercase "xfinitywifi" says, "You're almost there", but it NEVER connects, no matter what I do.  Good signal on both.

Now a moderator will come along and close this thread claiming that the reason is; 'that it's an old thread'.  But really, it's to censor the posts that show how terrible and incompetant Xfinity's "Tech Support" (LOL) is. My experience with them is - that it's nothing more than a revolving door of fresh college recruits.

This company can't fix ANY significant poroblems. Saturday Night Live should do a spoof comercial on this company. Maybe THAT would get someone's attention.

Official Employee

Hi All, I'm aware of the connection issues you're seeing with our hotspots via the recent Android updates. Please send me a private message with your full name and your device make and model so I can look into this further. Please also include the address of the location (general address will work) you're trying to connect to. 

Thanks. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

ComcastKenF,

All due respect, you're aware we're having XFINITY/xfinitywifi problems, Tier 1 is aware, Tier 2 is aware, and Tier 3 (Engineering, LOL) is aware that we're having problems - and yet NOTHING has been done to correct this issue in almost 2 years. I have spent literally DOZENS of hours on the phone with your various "support" levels, as well as on here on these forums - all to no avail. None. Nothing! 

I have watched you and others close threads on this matter because they're "old" - even though people are still posting about  the same continuing issues. I have seen you and others post something along the lines of 'Please send me a private message...'

Enough! Work with us on here to fix this issue. Then it will be available for the others who come along looking for a solution. (One of the main reasons for having a support forum)

Isn't it about time to get to the bottom of this issue once and for all?

Thank you.

Official Employee

Thanks for the feedback @Beachcity. We sincerely apologize for the experience and can definitely imagine why you would be frustrated and ready for a  resolution. @ComcastKenF is correct, in order for us to diagnose each hotspot, we will need your first and last name in a private message and the address of the hotspot to begin investigating and help find the problem to your issue. I'd be happy to help if you would like to verify this info in a private message. Thank you. 

Contributor

ComcastChe,

Thanks, but it's definitely not a hotspot issue!!  It's a phone software issue.  Something in Xfinity Mobile's manipulation of the Android Oreo OS has caused this glitch and it comes and goes randomly. But you all already know that I'm sure.

Your "Tech Support" department is a total and complete waste of time.  Not getting on that false hope merry go round you all refer to as "Tier 1",  "Tier 2", and "Tier 3 Engineering" (LOL)  "Tech Support" again.  Been there and done that waaay too many times already.  You should be ashamed to even refer to it as "support".  You should call it the "Customer Aggravaion and Time Consumption Department"  That would be FAR more accurate.  I'm willing to bet that they couldn't even figure out a problem with an old style wired phone that wasn't plugged into the wall jack - let alone a cell phone.

Your entire support "toolbox" consists of;

1 - Restart phone

2 - Reset Network Connections

3 - Replace SIM card

4- Lather, rinse, repeat a maddening number of times with multiple different agents.

5 - Tell the customer it's their phone and they need to replace it.  (Even though the problem started after XM's pushed OREO update)

All of you should be truly ashamed that this is the best that you can do.  (I certainly would be, but then, I take pride in what I do)  It's pathetic that a top 5 national cell and cable network operates in this manner.  It's pathetic.

On the outside chance that you're new and honestly don't know what a sick joke Xfinity Mobile's tech support is;  Please don't take it personally. However, I have a VERY hard time believing that anyone who has worked at this runaround company doesn't already know the real score by the second week of employment. 

Official Employee

Ok, if you change your mind in the future, feel free to reach out. This thread will now be closed.