Community Forum

Would an xfinity iphone x work on the at&t network if I switch back?

New Poster

Would an xfinity iphone x work on the at&t network if I switch back?

I currently have AT&T service.  I am considering switching to xfinity and buying a new iphone x.  So, two questions.  First, if I buy the phone from xfinity, will it be unlocked?  Secondly, if I decide xfinity service does not work as well as at&t for me, will I be able to use the xfinity iphone x with at&t service without problems/issues?

Regular Contributor

Re: Would an xfinity iphone x work on the at&t network if I switch back?

The first part I know for sure, the phone from XM wil be locked to XM. I believe from what I have read I phones SE and above are both GSM  & CDMA. Not positive though.

Regular Contributor

To get them unlocked, the phone has to be paid in full and have 30 days of service, also paid up.

Official Employee

Hi linmy, your IPhone will come unlocked the only stipulation is the phone must be paid in full. For instructions on unlocking your phone please click on this link.  Your Device from At&T may not be compatible depending on what type of phone you have, the IPhone SE is not compatible on our network from At&T this phone is only compatible if it is Comcast/ Verizon branded. 

New Poster

Thank you for the replies.  What I'm particularly concerned about is this:  If I outright purchase an iphone x from xfinity, and unlock it, will it work completely fine/normally on the AT&T network if I decide Xfinity Mobile does not work well for me.  I am interested in switching to Xfinity Mobile, but want to be sure I can come back to AT&T without issues if necessary.

Regular Contributor

I do not understand this answer at all. The Iphone SE comes in three models, the USA model A 1662 is for ATT-TMobile-Verizon. They do make a special model for  Verizon and XM. The other model is for Sprint / Asia. You can not tell me that XM can not accept an unlocked phone that will work on ATT-TMobile -Verizon when all other carriers can/will/do. What kind of jv, minor league, hocus pocus, smoke & mirrors, slight of hand load of junk is XM trying to load onto it's customers. Too much of what your unknowable CS team is telling us is unbelievable B.S. To people that have been dealing with cell/smart  phones for years know that this just plain wrong information. Please tell us what XM does to make an unlocked phone NOT work when it WILL work on all the others. There is GSM, there is CDMA and there is whatever Sprint uses, thats it. If you are telling me that Apple is making Iphones especially for XM's use only well then Comcast has even more clout then even I ever imagined

Regular Contributor

Correction: They Do Not make a special XM/Verizon Iphone.

Regular Contributor

I will correct my post because I was speking as an SE owner. The I phone X has to be A1865 for Verizon/Sprint/China, they are correct the ATT model  of Iphone X will not work. Sorry for the previous rant.

Official Employee

Thank you for the replies.  What I'm particularly concerned about is this:  If I outright purchase an iphone x from xfinity, and unlock it, will it work completely fine/normally on the AT&T network if I decide Xfinity Mobile does not work well for me.  I am interested in switching to Xfinity Mobile, but want to be sure I can come back to AT&T without issues if necessary

linmy, the iPhone X from ATT isn't compatible with our network so I would not think that it works the other way around. 

KenF

Contributor

I believe if you purchase an iPhone from Apple that is designed to work with Verizon, that phone will also work on GSM networks. I have an iPhone 6S that I purchased from Verizon, works on Xfinity Mobile, and will also work overseas in Europe with a SIM from a local provider. All European providers use GSM. I could also use my phone on AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S. if I so desired. Those two are GSM and my iPhone 6S will work with GSM or CDMA. That is the situation with my 6S and should also be the same for iPhone X.

New Poster

Don't switch... This is a warning...I regret my switch every single month my bill processes... It's all smoke and mirrors... Please don't do it... I'm always on WiFi... My kids are and my husband is also all day at work and at home... We barely use our phones and never watch videos when we're not home.... Yet and still this is my bill almost every month... It's bs and highway robbery... Not only that... When I purchased my phone's I was promised $200 off each line if I switched... That was a year ago... Till this day I've only received $100 off... That's it that's all!!! No one will fix it... Everyone agrees I'm owed it but they won't fix it... When I'm done paying these phones off... I'm switching back... Never in my life would I think anyone was worse than Sprint... They have met their match.. I'm running to Sprint... They claim it's free text and free calls and create these ridiculous data charges every month.. I HATE XM PHONE SERVICE!!!!!!
51AE7123-D718-4B59-86BC-666D1E094D70.jpeg
Contributor

Once your phones are paid off and unlocked  they will work on any US carrier .