Community Forum

Wifi Calling on Galaxy s8

Frequent Visitor

Wifi Calling on Galaxy s8

Is there a contractual reason that only Apple devices have wifi calling?

When i first started with XM i was sent a Galaxy s8 with now what i know to be the wrong CSC somehow enabled. It wasn't until i had to warranty my phone that i found out wifi calling wasn't a included feature, as i had wifi calling from day one. I have screenshots of all of the network info (APN etc) nothing is diffrent. The only diffrence is this one line in an XML file that you can't modify without rooting the phone and voiding your warranty. 

<CscFeature_Setting_SupportWifiCall>true</CscFeature_Setting_SupportWifiCall>

If this is all it takes to enable wifi calling on my device, it seems that there must be some sort of contractual reason Android devices, or atleast the galaxy s8 doesn't have this ability enabled yet. If this is the case can you provide a timeline as to when this will be enabled? I've been on the verge of jumping ship for months now specifically to get wifi calling, and feel that many of us that have stuck by you since your VERY rocky start deserve a straight foward answer.

Thank you

Official Employee

Re: Wifi Calling on Galaxy s8

rstovall, I am not aware of a contractual obligation for android wiFi calling, but I can say we are expecting wiFi calling to available for Android later this year. No date specified yet, though. 

KenF

New Poster

I will be traveling soon and I want wifi calling just like my friends that have I phones. I know I can use Skype but that's not the point. Please get this feature as soon as possible.
New Poster

Is there an update for when WiFi Calling will be available on my Galaxy S8?

New Poster

Is there an update for when WiFi Calling will be available on my Galaxy S8?

Frequent Visitor

This is stupid at this point. I'm moving in a few weeks and am going shift to diffrent providers for all my current comcast services instead of renewing. This company is terrible.

You also apparently don't let people use the word " as in ine " in this forum as it must be too common. this is sad.

New Poster

Ditto.
Any reply?? Probably never will be..
Contributor

I really don't think you want WiFi calling with this company. I have been with them for almost 9 months now and they still can't get WiFi hotspot working correctly with this phone. Tier 1,2,3... whatever are totally clueless.  Can't even imagine trying to deal with them regarding WiFi calling. 

On top of all of this they are now throttling the "Unlimited" plans.

How is that not "bait and switch"? It is LITERALLY the definition of "bait and switch".

From Webster's Dictionary -

Definition of bait and switch;

1 : a sales tactic in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced item but is then encouraged to buy a higher-priced one

2 : the ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor (such as political support) then thwarting expectations with something less desirable.

bait-and-switch

noun

noun: bait-and-switch the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

"a bait-and-switch scheme"

I understand changing terms from time to time, but if that is their intention, existing customers should be excluded (grandfathered) as they  were enticed from their current carriers with the promise and expectation of the Unlimited plan terms that were initially offered.

I encourage you to file an FCC complaint, and then to also follow up with a response to their reply, so that it can be escalated within the FCC. 

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
Contributor

I want to know of this .xml. I am a forum moderator on xda obviously you have seen part cyborgs rom. I am the mad scientist. Lol. If any one figure this out i can. I am rooted to the gills on mine heavily modded
Contributor

@themadscientist wrote:
I want to know of this .xml. I am a forum moderator on xda obviously you have seen part cyborgs rom. I am the mad scientist. Lol. If any one figure this out i can. I am rooted to the gills on mine heavily modded

Boy do I wish that I hadn't listened to the idiots at XM's Tier 2 & Tier 3 when they insisted that upgrading the OS software would fix my issues.  Xfinity Mobile has three tools in their "toolbox" - 

1 - Network Reset (their absolute fovorite)

2- Software Update

3 -Factory Reset

Beyond the above 3 "solutions" thay are totally clueless.

In my experience Oreo just restricts WiFi and takes away user options. The few kitchy features Oreo has over Nougat are "meh", at best. Battery life is (now) terrible.  I don't see any real adavantages.  Would much rather have Nougat.  Wish I could go back, but I'm now at CRE2 after updating to Nougat. 

Madscientist, any root options for CRE2 on the horizon? 

Contributor

Cre2 is revision 3 bootloader if it's a s8 plus. Yes it can be rooted on 7.0 still. You cannot downgrade the bootloader. But you can use part cyborg rom which I am a part of kinda.
If your on a regular s8. The root method was patched with no hope in site.