Community Forum

WiFi calling

New Poster

WiFi calling

Any update on when WiFi calling will be available. I just got xfinity mobile and Verizon service is terrible at my house. I didn’t realize WiFi calling wasn’t an option when I signed up.
Official Employee

Re: WiFi calling

Fozz23uk wrote: Any update on when WiFi calling will be available. I just got xfinity mobile and Verizon service is terrible at my house. I didn’t realize WiFi calling wasn’t an option when I signed up.

We now have Wi-Fi calling on Apple equipment only. This feature will be released for Android later this year. 

New Poster

Wifi calling available on iphones 6 and up with ios 11.1 or higher, and the latest wifi carrier settings. To check go to settings/about/ carrier...
Official Employee

Deshoon wrote: Wifi calling available on iphones 6 and up with ios 11.1 or higher, and the latest wifi carrier settings. To check go to settings/about/ carrier...

You're correct, and thank you for pointing this out for us here. We do now have Wi-Fi calling available on Apple devices only at this time. We will launch this feature on Android devices later on this year. 

Contributor

@ wrote:

Deshoon wrote: Wifi calling available on iphones 6 and up with ios 11.1 or higher, and the latest wifi carrier settings. To check go to settings/about/ carrier...

You're correct, and thank you for pointing this out for us here. We do now have Wi-Fi calling available on Apple devices only at this time. We will launch this feature on Android devices later on this year. 

Any word on why so many people can't active wifi calling becuase it says their emergency address is wrong? 

Official Employee

Heronn wrote: Any word on why so many people can't active wifi calling becuase it says their emergency address is wrong? 

Are you trying to activate the feature on an Apple device? If so can you tell me where in the process of turning the feature on do you get this error message? 

Regular Visitor

It occurs right after you input the emergency address -check the terms and condition bullet and hit continue - right after that you get a popup screen that says the address cannot be found and gives you the option to edit or cancel - if you select the box to "save" the address - if pops up a message that the address cannot be validated and exits the process. I've tried numerous "good" addresses and it always pops up with "address cannot be found".

Frequent Visitor

I've been told by support (can't confirm) that a new SIM is needed to address the address validation issue.  

Contributor

Doesn't work for all three iPhones my account. All were activated on Saturday so don't know why a new sim would be needed.
New Poster

I tried to turn wifi calling on my iphone 6 and it said need to contact xfinity so i called and the representative told me that they do not have wifi calling right now???!
Frequent Visitor

My phone (BYOD) was activated only 2 weeks ago, and support still indicated that a new sim is needed to fix the address validation issue.  They overnighted a replacement - which I should have sometime today.  I'll report back my findings.  

For what it's worth, my parents also activated their phones (BYOD) at the same store and didn't have these issues.  

The other observation is that within the latest public iOS beta, the Carrier Settings version is 31.5.  This is newer than what xfinity/Verizon is currently pushing out OTA.  Version 31.5 appears to NOT allow wifi calling.   It will be interesting to see if the sim will address this issue, or if I need to downgrade my iOS to the latest general public release.  

Official Employee

Hi All, 

Customers who have been getting errors activating wifi calling will be proactively shipped a replacement sim cards beginning yesterday. The replacement sim card will resolve the issue with activation on the back end. 

KenF

Contributor

How do we get the sim card? We just had three iPhones activated on Saturday. Why do we need new cards already?
Frequent Visitor

I received my replacement SIM this afternoon and I’m still having the issue with it validating any address.
Official Employee

ctromp, the sim cards are proactively sent. I can check if you have one coming if you send me a private message. 

I received my replacement SIM this afternoon and I’m still having the issue with it validating any address.

sirbwolf74, was the sim card updated correctly (your old sim card is inactive)? Have you done all the necessary updates?

KenF

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

It seems like discrimination to offer wifi calling to only half of the population using iPhones but not the other using Androids......Why not release wifi calling for ALL????

Contributor

It doesn't work for a lot of iPhone users either apparentiy.
Frequent Visitor

To check go to settings/about/ carrier...

Thank you Deshoon. Have been struggling with this since picking up phone and service earlier today. Once carrier was updated, the option to use wifi calling magically appeared.