Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

New Poster

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

@ComcastElla Looks like private messaging is enabled on my account now. Just sent you a PM with details you requested.

Contributor

Still not fixed - 

WiFi calling 

phone can sit on table NEXT to a Google Mesh WiFi and will drop.

Talked 5 minutes today and it simply dropped.

Phone did not move, I did not move -- it decided apparently to go off to see if it could find a cell signal and then dropped.

The WiFi is Xfinity and cell coverage is something Xfinity has to rent from Verizon -- I would think Xfinity would WANT us to use WiFi over cell service.  That said I do not want the phone seeking to seitch to WiFi when I am driving down the street... 

Regular Visitor

I don’t know if there’s any truth to it, but I heard they use Verizon’s prepaid towers only. That would explain the poor service. I also feel this is not restricted to WiFi calling. I have a lot of dropped calls even when not connected to WiFi. My wife has also just informed me that she has trouble getting data as well at times. Not trying to be difficult, but if this isn’t resolved soon we are going to have to switch to a more reliable carrier. I don’t want me or any of my family stranded or lost and not able to use a phone or gps.
Contributor

Why has this issue not been corrected - how many months does it take? <Edited> I was ready to make the switch from Verizon in order to save money, but there is no way I would even consider without assurance this problem has been resolved. <Edited>

Regular Visitor

@Speed009 wrote:

Wow I am so glad I did more research about XM before jumping ship from ATT. Thank you all for letting us prospective customers know about this obviously big issue with especially Apple phones. I have an iphone Xs, but having the possibility of dropped calls like this is a big NONO, no matter how cheap they are offering it. 

Sorry Comcast, but you just lost another customer who was willing to sign up for XM!  Get your act together please!

Let me just say that my original grandfathered iPhone Unlimited Data Plan was costing me over $90/mo on AT&T, and even if I had switched to service with them equivalent to what I am now getting from Xfinity Mobile (essentially, 1 GB data/mo for $12), I'd be paying over $50/mo, and since I really only talk on the phone to a couple of people, mainly my mother, I can't say I'm entirely dissatisfied.

However, this shouldn't be happening. I've just spent the past hour or so on the phone with a friend who is going through difficulties in her marriage and is in desperate need of emotional support, and our conversation dropped about ten times.

Putting the phone in Airplane Mode does not cure the problem. I can sit here motionless, 2 metres away from my Xfinity WiFi router, with cellular data OFF and/or in Airplane Mode with Wifi and Bluetooth ON, and watch my phone retrain from XM Wifi to Xfinity Mobile, back and forth, every few minutes.

And again, this *only* happens at home. It never happens once I leave the poor cell coverage that surrounds my home. The only thing I haven't tried is actually swapping out the Xfinity Wifi router for one of my old routers, to eliminate that piece of hardware at least from controlling my WiFi connection. But I haven't done that because I shouldn't have to. I'm paying an outrageous $10/mo to Xfinity for the use of this router, and I expect it to be worth more than simply buying a new upgraded router on my own every year.

Regular Visitor

@m1928 wrote:

If you are in an area with good cell reception I do not believe there are issues.

It is in the fringe areas -- and I personally think the problem is with Apple. 

My iPhone 6 Plus works as it used to.

My iPhone XS Max and XS are wonderfil cameras that sometimes act as phones.

If it is all Xfinity why is that?

Not willing to put all blame on Xfinity but Apple needs to step up and own the problem.

The problem is obviously not Apple. I brought my iPhone 6S to Xfinity Mobile from AT&T. I was using the same device the same Xfinity WiFi Router, the same Xfinity Internet service, and the same cell towers. The ONLY thing that has changed is I changed my cellular service to Xfinity Mobile from AT&T. 

Again, I have over 25 years of experience as a systems & networking technology consultant, with clients from single-person shops to Fortune 500 companies. Troubleshooting network issues is literally "what I do".

If I leave my house and go to where the cell coverage is good, the problem completely disappears. I just happen to live in a relative dead zone for cellular service in my town, and if I want reliable cellular communications, I have to go sit by the window in my unheated, uncooled (but thankfully finished) attic.

WiFi Calling using the same exact equipment and ISP worked flawlessly when I was directly on the AT&T network. I would lay good money that the problem is being caused by faulty carrier settings programming. Xfinity Mobile advertises that on their system, your phone will automatically transfer to their network of hotspots, which is obviously why their pricing is so cheap and why they require you to have an Xfinity service account before you can be an Xfinity Mobile customer. 

To my knowledge, no other virtual carrier is attempting to do this, swtiching between cell, home WiFi, and public hotspot on the fly. 

Regular Visitor

This is NOT an apple problem nor is it a TechOps issue - it is purely an XFinity Mobile issue. I have changed phones once already and have experienced dropped calls (8-10) a day since I signed on.  They refuse to acknowledge this is an issue although if you search through their blog you will find several pages of people with the exact same problem.   Comcast does not care, they have told me to use my landline or go outside if that works.   They have never once offered me any credit for my downtime.  They released the service far before they had the expertise to run it

Frequent Visitor

Contributor

I think yours is the best explaination as to what is happening.

Thank you

Regular Visitor

I need someone to reach out regarding this call faier issue. This is a problem. It happens at home and in town. I've replaced the phone and still issues!

Frequent Visitor

Believe me its just the xfinity mobile service nit the phone issue. I changed my phone 2 times but no luck with that. Finally changed the carrier and now I have no issue with the same iPhoneX
Official Employee

@Kaa - This issue is under investigation and I'm collecting all the examples for the engineering group. Please send me a private message and include the following information:

- Your full name, account holder's name exactly as it's listed on the bill.

- Your XM account number

- The number you called from and the number you tried to call via WiFi

- The date of the call

- Details regarding your experience

Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Add me to the list of people with this problem.  9 out of 10 calls fail with Call Failed when I answer.  Usually I'm able to call the person back and it goes through without issue.  Problem is not limited to any particular location.  My wife and I both have iPhone 6s.  She is on Sprint and has wifi-calling enabled and has never seen the Call Failed error.  When I had AT&T with this same phone, I never once saw the Call Failed error. 

Repeatable Test to get Failures and Temporarily Resolve Them

Just now I was able to make four consecutive calls to my cell phone and each failed with Call Failed when I answered.  I made an outgoing call from my cell to my office phone and the destination rang once, stopped ringing as though I hung up, and several seconds later started ringing again and I was able to answer and the call succeeded.  Then, subsequent incoming calls from my office line to my cell succeeded (no Call Failed).  I switched into Airplane mode and back out.  Now it is again failing with Call Failed.  I have repeated this process and it is completely repeateable including the weird pause and reconnect during the outgoing call. 

@ComcastElla, I can send you a PM with my details, but I think that PM is not turned on for me (I'm signed in but don't see a Send Message link when viewing your profile).

Official Employee

Hi, mzwaterski! Thank you so much for reaching out. Your PM feature is enabled now, my apologies for the delay. Feel free to send me a private message with all the details. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello all, 

Please upgrade your Apple devices to iOS 12.1.1 if possible. We are still investigating the issue and I will keep you updated. 

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Regular Visitor

To add to your data, my device has been at 12.1.1 since that update was released and I have continued to experience the Call Failure on incoming calls.

Regular Visitor

MY PHONE IS UPDATED! IUSE THIS PHONE FOR BUSINESS AND THIS IS HORRIBLE SERVICE1

New Poster

this is pure an xfinity issues. never have i seen such trouble being reported by users and not fixed for almost a year.

i regret switching to xfinity and will switch out when the year ends...

getting crapp signal compared to att in my home and being forced to use wifi calling that ends up failed calls all the time is terrible