Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Contributor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

New iPhone - XS and Max - same issue 

texts do not like to sed either 

switched my wireless system from regular wireless to mesh - once I have connection it holds "better" but it takes 2-3 times to get a connection. In my area Verison owns teh best towers - but the signal use on these s*ck. If I go from one town to the next I often have to switch the phone to airplane and back for it to reconnect to a tower there. I think Verizone is putting the phones on 2nd class citizen status. My son uses a different system that buys time just like Xfinity but he does not experience the same problems.

Official Employee

Hello all,

Please accept my apologies for your experience. Could you please send me a private message and include the following information:

- Your full name, account holder's name exactly as it's listed on the bill.

- Your XM account number

- The number you called from and the number you tried to call via WiFi

- The date of the call

- Details regarding your experience

Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

How to send a private message. I do not see any option for "Send a Message"

New Poster

I am having same issue with iPhone XS. There is no place to direct message you - Ella

I have called tech support numerous times since I recieved this phone and started service. If I am on a wifi signal wiht a weak cell signal, if the cell signal cuts out the call drops. If I turn off the cellular radio and operate on wifi only it works. So the problem is when the phone is trying to maintain a call transfering from cell to wifi. I never had a problem with this on my iphone 6 with ATT.

Regular Visitor

It is also happening to me since I signed up 2.5 months ago - I have an iPhone 8 provided by XFinity

Problem is still occurring - 8 to 10 dropped calls during the day

Regular Contributor

Sounds like the service is poor, even though they claim to have 1,000,000 customers or more. For now I stay with Verizon, Has anyone ON Cape tried Google Fi?

- Bill
Contributor

Google Fi rents from the same folks (Verizon) in Vermont and the issues I have are not present there. My son has that plan using an Android phone if it makes a difference.

New Poster

@ComcastElla

How do I PM you?  I when I click on your name I am taken to your profile.  I don not see a way to "Send a Message"

Official Employee

@sanchh172 @SactoJ @PeddlerDavid - I just double checked and all of you have a Private Messaging feature. If you don't see a "Send a Message" option, there is an envelope icon at the right top corner from where you can send/receive messages. Please let me know if you get any issues with the PM feature. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

With all due respect, this thread is littered with people who have escalated tickets, PM’s, etc... me, for example, have been working with tier 2 and Verizon tech support since March of this year. Almost 8 months!! We need a SOLUTION at this time, not more PM’s or tickets. Please fix and help us!
Official Employee

@mcg82 - I fully understand but I'm not a person who can fix it. We have an engineering team that is working on this issue and they need as many examples as possible. Each PM I receive - I send to them. This is not a single customer issue so it does take time to find a cause. Again, I fully understand the inconvenience but the more examples we receive - the faster we resolve the issue. 

Contributor

Why is it an issue after switching to your system?

It was not an issue when I was with AT&T.

I was able to receive and make calls using cell or WiFi.

It makes no sense.

If it is an issue with Verizon somehow get it fixed 

Official Employee

@m1928 - I'm not saying that this is not our issue, I just mentioned that we are aware of this issue and we are working on the resolution. As soon as I get any updates - I will post it publicly here. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastElla wrote:

This is not a single customer issue so it does take time to find a cause. Again, I fully understand the inconvenience but the more examples we receive - the faster we resolve the issue. 

I am encouraged that Comcast has finally agreed that it is a system wide problem and not a single customer issue. Hopefully with the engineers working on it a solution will be found quickly.

Official Employee

@egertz - Thank you! I really hope that we will find a cause as soon as possible and resolve the issue. 

Regular Visitor

My wife and I have both experienced this every day since switching from AT&T in September.  So incredibly frustrating and it's really ticking off our extended family and co-workers.  In fact, I just got a text from wife a few minutes ago saying she just had a very important call drop upon trying to answer the call at home.  This happens > 50% of the time we try to answer a call when on WIFI.  I join the rest of the posters above in saying that if this doesn't get fixed in the next few weeks, we will be heading to another network. 

Official Employee

@Boilerlew - Please refer to my post regarding what information I need for an escalation. Every example helps us a lot. 

Contributor

because of the length of threads you may want to copy and paste your instructions to make it easier for ppl to do. I know the instructions are somewhere in the thread but requires that we read through them all to find.

Of course there is that matter of this not being the only thing you do.

Contributor

Do I need to include all the above each time I submit?

I could make the same call over and over and give you lots.

Almost all calls from my wife on new iPhone XS to my new iPhone XS Max purchased through you going cell to Wifi or WiFi to cell to each other fail.

I get the msg they cannot take call — phone rings once and dies.

This may help in your trouble shooting.
If my wife calls from her phone (right after drop so she is in exact same area or tower) to our house to my Vonage number I can answer I on my iPhone via their app.

I can also call out through that app.

Not limited to only my wife’s iPhone however.
I’ve had to use vonage (on my same iPhone) for business calls because calls either do not come in or simply drop after a short connection. This is while phone is feet away from the Google mesh WiFi that is hard wired to internet.

Sure hope that helps.
Maybe you’ll need to buy/rent Vonage software until your software engineers figure it out.
Contributor

FYI
Cannot click on your name on chrome on phone to msg.
Official Employee

@m1928 - I really appreciate all the examples I get, it really helps a lot. I also appreciate the example regarding the Vonage phone. I sincerely apologize for all the issues we currently have. 

Please make sure you have the latest version of JAVA, it can cause issues with sending PMs. 

New Poster

@ComcastElla wrote:

@sanchh172 @SactoJ @PeddlerDavid - I just double checked and all of you have a Private Messaging feature. If you don't see a "Send a Message" option, there is an envelope icon at the right top corner from where you can send/receive messages. Please let me know if you get any issues with the PM feature. 

@ComcastElla

yep, I did that.  I clicked on your name which brought me to your xfinity profile.  I clicked on the envelope icon in the upper right corner.  That brought me to a mail program called xfinity connect, which I had to activate.  No sign of a PM feature.  I don't have an email address for you to email you.  Seems like I am not the only one struggling to PM you.  Can you walk us through this like we are babies because so far it hasn't worked for us.

I came here to resolve an XM issue.  Now I have an XM issue and a PM issue.

Contributor

Going to airplane mode does not fix ability to call or receive.

Helps some but I still cannot connect to another Xfinity cell phone that is on cell service.

may be other issues but I can repeat that one... unfortunately.

New Poster

Ok, after activating the xfinity connect mail program now when access you profile I see a "send a message" box.  See the difference in the two screenshots:

Before activating xfinity connect:

xfinity 1.PNG

After activating xfinity connect:

xfinity 2.PNGI tried all combinations I could with XFINITY Mobile, Wifi calling and wifi only (airplane mode on) on each side fo calls between two iphone 6s phones, one brought from Verizon, one purchased from Xfinity.  I will post later tonight to this forum and PM ComcastElla with the requested account details.

Regular Visitor

It won't let me pm you either, but we are also having this issue - ticket number 44129672.

Contributor

The issues are probably NOT Xfinity.

I was blaming them because I thought that at this time Apple would know how to make a cell phone that worked.

I am in a low signal area -- but tha tis not all the issue -- because traveling from one area to another in Vermont when there can be good signal I sometimes have to go to airplane mode and back again to see the new area -- but that is a side story.

RECAP -- and what makes me think it is not just Xfinity

I had iphone 6 plus - wife had 6s on AT&T - used WiFi for talk at house most of the time as celluar was 1-2 bars.
Worked fine.
Switched to Xfinity when I could get a deal on the XS and XS Max. I added an additional line that I put on my iphone 6 plus.
Neither XS or XS Max can make or keep phone calls on a consistent basis.
I thought it was an Xfinity issue because I thought Apple knew how to make their phones work by now so I never tested the 6 plus during the time I was trying to test things with Xfinity. The number on the 6 plus was for little used items -- did not cost much to have so it has been sitting since i got it.
The 6 plus works. Same area. Same WiFi... actually thought there was the possibility that the newer phones might have an issue with my existing wiFi routers so I switched them to Google Mesh...

The issue is the XS and XS Max =-(

I get to jump through all the hoops of resetting back to factory -- 130 Gigs to store... I give it about a 2% chance of fixing the issue. Bought 2XS and 2 XS Max - the two in VT in low signal area are having issues the two in an area of very good cell service are not having issues. All 4 from the same store - same batch...

I waited for the second generation of the X so they could get any bugs out and well to get the Max.

I got the Max but it does not like to act like a phone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/9idfu5/lets_talk_about_reception_on_the_xsxs_max/

Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, I think that may be coincidence. I have read on other forums that this has been a problem since xfinity started doing mobile. Way before xs series was released. I don’t think they even know what is causing it and therefore can’t fix it.
Contributor

Darn

My iPhone 6 Plus works as it did under AT&T

the XS and XS Max don't work

I was hoping

will be taking my 6 Plus with me now to see if ti all works for calls.

Spent 2 hours with Apple - get to go back to factory reset... then start again.

I was talking on the 6 Plus -- the XS Max would never have stayed connected that long.

@JLabeck wrote:
Unfortunately, I think that may be coincidence. I have read on other forums that this has been a problem since xfinity started doing mobile. Way before xs series was released. I don’t think they even know what is causing it and therefore can’t fix it.

Regular Visitor

Well I hope it works for you. Better yet, I hope the issue gets fixed all together. :-P
Contributor

Apple had me reset network settings -- yup been there done that - did again.

Then had to reset from the begining and restore phone.

Nada

Same ok problem

PIA
Will be harder to figure if it is a little xfinity and a little apple.
Official Employee

Hello all,

Apologies for the delayed response. My regular schedule is Sunday through Wednesday and I took Sunday (yesterday) off. I requested an update and as soon as I get it - I will update the thread. 

@PeddlerDavid - Based on the screenshot you have provided, you were not signed in to the forums. I will send you a private message and you can just reply back. 

@JLabeck - Your PM feature is activated. Did you sign in to the forums? 

Official Employee

Hello all,

I want to thank you for all the examples you have provided to me, I greatly appreciate your time and please accept my apologies for your experience. At this moment, I don't have any news but as soon as I get an update - I will let you all know. 

Thank you!

Contributor

Doing a restore to the phone did no tfix the issue.

My iphone 6 plus works fine on the system -- the iPhone XS and XS Max do not.

Leads me to believe it is an issue with those two phones.

Contributor

when receiving a call from XS from car to house Max today -- the first time I tried to answer it said call failed

the phone will then ring again -- I waited for a ring or two and answered

the call stayed connected for the one minute conversation

THe XS caller thought it was all one call with simply an answer after a long ring

yesterday it simply would not keep a call connected

Regular Visitor

My wife and I were having the same issue for the last few weeks. I'm on Xfininity & she's on Red Pocket on the Verizon network.  

We both just recently switched the LTE to Data Only and that seems to make a big difference. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastElla - I am also trying to send you a PM to provide some recent examples of dropped calls.  I have signed into the forums, but I do not have the option to send you a PM.  Can you send me one, so that I can respond to you with some information?  This PM feature does not appear to be working.  Thanks, Jbiedlin

Official Employee

@Jbiedlin - Got your message, thank you!

Regular Visitor

I've had this same problem ever since I switched to XM from AT&T back in the Spring. It only happens at home. I'm a networking consultant, so i have a fair idea of what is causing the problem and how to fix it, but as fixing it requires XM to modify their carrier settings, there's nothing I can do about it.

I have Xfinity cable Internet service at home and live in a shadow zone where I get poor cell coverage. There is an XM hotspot a couple of blocks away that works great.

What causes this problem is that the XM carrier settings are constantly attempting to find the best route for your call/data, but when you are on WiFi Calling with a strong WiFi signal, the software is still attempting to second guess itself, and tries to hook to the cell network (and or the hotspot), which has a marginal signal, and the call drops. 

It then takes some time for the call routers to figure out where the heck your phone is on the network, before you can place or receive another call. Turning off cellular data sometimes helps, but not always. Reliability is worst in my house on the ground floor, and best in the attic, because the 16 feet of elevation difference means I get better cellular signal and a better shot at the XM hotspot down the street. However, I obviously cannot live in my attic or take every call in my attic. The WiFi router is in my bedroom on the second floor, and even though I am literally only 6 feet from the router, the phone still tries to switch to either the cell network or the XM hotspot.

Again, in my situation, this problem doesn't happen anywhere other than at home, because I get great cell reception at my office and when I am downtown in my little burg.

When I was on AT&T with the same iPhone 6S, and the same Xfinity Internet service with the same Xfinity WiFi router, I did not have this problem, because AT&T's carrier settings weren't trying to hunt between three different competing networks. It latched onto the WiFi and everything worked flawlessly.

So, the bottom line is, XM has a bug in their carrier settings module that needs reprogramming, but this bug will only show up in a limited number of circumstances when the cell signal is marginal.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM. It is extremely tedious to have calls drops ten times in the middle of a conversation, and even moreso to have them drop 9 times out of 10 just in answering the call.

Regular Visitor

Yes! Xfinity Mobile, please listen to gcvrsa...they are absolutely correct. Why is this taking so long to fix when you’re getting such high quality and consistent feedback from users?

I have the feeling that AT&T would’ve fixed this within a week if this were a national issue.
Official Employee

Hello all,

As I've mentioned before, I fully understand the inconvenience and I apologize for this issue. The best thing that can be done to expedite the resolution process is to provide examples. At this point, I don't have any updates and I will follow up as soon as I get something. 

Happy Holidays!

New Poster

While likely not the only issue - when reading the wifi FAQ page there is one glaring error.

• Your device will prioritize a network connection over WiFi when the connection is strong enough to make and receive calls. To prevent using a cellular network to make or receive calls, put your phone in airplane mode and make sure WiFi is on.

this info can be found on this page  https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/360001392186/how-do-i-use-wifi-calling-on-my-iphone

100% my phone should prioritize wifi calling when I am on wifi.

I don't know how this explains all the immediate 'call failed' when answering, but all of the mid-call drops ( which happen EVERY call if i don't turn on airplane mode to disable cellular service - which FYI DOES stop the dropped calls but is SUPER annoying to have to turn airplane mode on/off everytime I arrive or leave home ) after the drop you look and the phone has gone back to cellular calling vs wifi and the switch causes the drop. 

Happy Thanksgiving, hope this helps... it will be a huge pain-in-my-rear gone if this issue is fixxed. 

New Poster

Wow I am so glad I did more research about XM before jumping ship from ATT. Thank you all for letting us prospective customers know about this obviously big issue with especially Apple phones. I have an iphone Xs, but having the possibility of dropped calls like this is a big NONO, no matter how cheap they are offering it. 

Sorry Comcast, but you just lost another customer who was willing to sign up for XM!  Get your act together please!

Contributor

If you are in an area with good cell reception I do not believe there are issues.

It is in the fringe areas -- and I personally think the problem is with Apple. 

My iPhone 6 Plus works as it used to.

My iPhone XS Max and XS are wonderfil cameras that sometimes act as phones.

If it is all Xfinity why is that?

Not willing to put all blame on Xfinity but Apple needs to step up and own the problem.

Contributor

I JUST SPENT 1.25 hours on HOLD for tech support -- talked for 3 minutes to a real person and the phone DROPPED!!!!

ERRRRRRRRR

The phone needs to stay connected to a strong WiFi signal and not try to switch into a weak cell signal during a call !!!!

New Poster

@ComcastElla I'm attempting to send a private message, but the only option appears to be to send an email and I don't have your email. I'm having the same issues with outgoing calls failing even after multiple setting tweaks as previously recommended.  Hope this helps!

UPDATE: Once you make your first post, the ability to send Private Messages appears!!

Attempts

1. Attempting to make call to contact, as soon as I click the 'mobile' icon from contacts = phone displays 'call failed'. 
  2. Attempted clicking on the mobile number from the list of phone number vs. using the mobile icon = same result, phone displaying 'call failed'. 
  3. Attempted to call through messages>audio icon = same result, phone displaying 'call failed'.
  4. Attempted to call through messages>info>'phone icon' = same result, phone displays 'call failed'.
  5. Attempted to call through messages>info>'arrow next to video and phone icons = same result, phone displays 'call failed'.

Fixes attempted: 

1. Turn Airplane mode on for 10 seconds and then off = all above attempts still failed. 
  2. Turn WiFi off = all above attempts still failed. 
  3. Turn Cellular mode off for seconds and then back on = all above attempts failed. 
  4. Restarted phone completely. 
    1. Call went through at 5:03pm, failed at 5:04. 
    2. Call went through again at 5:04, failed at 5:11pm.
    3. Call went through again at 5:11 for two minutes and I ended up hanging up before it would happen again since it was getting so frustrating. 
Regular Visitor

I’m having the same issues and have tried all the fixes suggested here. I have the XS MAX. I have an appointment at the Apple store this Friday but I don’t have much hope that will help.
New Poster

Comcast are clearly unable to fix this, so I'm changing carriers. Does anyone have suggestions for mobile service in the Boston / New England?

New Poster

I also cannot complete a WiFi call with my iPhone XR using Xfinity mobile and Xfinity WiFi with a 3 bar strong signal. I have Vonage using Xfinity WiFi with its only problem being I frequently have a 30-50 second point in time where one party can hear the other but not vice versa. The call does not drop and after a pause resumes. Vonage ‘works’ on your WiFi but my cell phone does not.
Contributor

VONAGE

I agree Vonage is not a reliable alternative.

Voice is not as good

Still issues -- but it seems to answer and can call out.

I think the answer one person gave that I tagged as best explanation of issue is what Xfinity needs to look at.

I believe the issue is a combination of Apple AND Xfinity making it a nasty bugaboo.

BUT IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

New Poster

@ComcastElla Having the same issue mysellf with both my own and wife's XS phones that we purchased from Comcast. Have been trying to get this fixed for a while, including calling Comcast help but with no luck. Also, unable to see the option to send you a PM either. Can you advise please ?