Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Official Employee

Re: Here's a WiFi calling issue fix

Hello everyone, thank you for posting your concerns, and feedback. We appreciate your time, and fully understand your frustrations. I want to reiterate some of the points that ChrisL made in his post. As he mentioned we’ve been following the thread and keeping tabs on what people’s reported problems are with WIFI calling.

Our intent is not to have you undergo troubleshooting steps that you may have already completed without any positive result. The reason we are requesting the information from ChrisL’s post, is to compile data so that we can look further into the issue. We are fully involved and will do everything possible to find a resolution.

At your convenience, we encourage you to post the requested information on this thread. We will continue to check in and gather the information.

1.Are calls being dropped exclusively to one Wi-Fi signal or on all Wi-Fi signals?

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped?  For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

3.Please indicate the device type and if the device was added to your account as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

4.Please provide your ZIP code.

Please keep in mind, we are not disputing anyone’s claims, and completely understand the skepticism. We appreciate and welcome any information relevant to this topic.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Ok, so after a few days of airplane mode, I found it to NOT work. Also I tried a network extender which carries the service over an internet connection, that seems to work, however not with WiFi calling on, I had to disable WiFi calling because even tho I had 4 bars of 1x service, my iPhone kept switching from WiFi calling to cell signal. I still think it’s an Apple problem, I read in to it more and people with other carriers are have issues too. Still seems odd tho that when people switched back to Sprint it worked fine. My wife was having dropped calls since IOS13, with Verizon, then we switched to XM.
Contributor

@ComcastLolli wrote:

Hello everyone, thank you for posting your concerns, and feedback. We appreciate your

... snipped ...

Please keep in mind, we are not disputing anyone’s claims, and completely understand the skepticism. We appreciate and welcome any information relevant to this topic.

I did this already about 1 page back.

Contributor

@benmarshall76 wrote:
Ok, so after a few days of airplane mode, I found it to NOT work. Also I tried a network extender which carries the service over an internet connection, that seems to work, however not with WiFi calling on, I had to disable WiFi calling because even tho I had 4 bars of 1x service, my iPhone kept switching from WiFi calling to cell signal. I still think it’s an Apple problem, I read in to it more and people with other carriers are have issues too. Still seems odd tho that when people switched back to Sprint it worked fine. My wife was having dropped calls since IOS13, with Verizon, then we switched to XM.

People were having this issue prior to IOS13. And again, I worked fine with AT&T.

Frequent Visitor

Ok have you tried going back to AT&T? I mean you must’ve known within the first 2 weeks that it wasn’t working? I found out in 1 day. Since then I’ve been trying other carriers, unfortunately AT&T signal is very weak around my neighborhood.
Contributor

@benmarshall76 wrote:
Ok have you tried going back to AT&T? I mean you must’ve known within the first 2 weeks that it wasn’t working? I found out in 1 day. Since then I’ve been trying other carriers, unfortunately AT&T signal is very weak around my neighborhood.

No for multiple reasons - we're a 3 phone family plan, one of which is my Ma who is out of state. AT&T is comparatively brutally expensive, but also when we moved to XM we got a new phone, and have not paid it off yet.

Regular Contributor

No you’re wrong my friend, I am past anger and I am somewhere at disbelief stage at this point. I cannot believe nothing has been done and they are still asking for more info. 18 pages of it and they need more! So here it is for 100th time!!

1.Are calls being dropped exclusively to one Wi-Fi signal or on all Wi-Fi signals?

All wifi, extender no extender, xfinity modem, my own modem, home and at work it doesn’t matter what wifi. Still drops and switches between wi calling and reg cell signal

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped? For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

Randomly- no pattern

3.Please indicate the device type and if the device was added to your account as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

BYOD iPhone 7 and IPhone xr

Contributor

1. Are calls being dropped exclusively to one Wi-Fi signal or on all Wi-Fi signals?

I have only tested this on my home network (Xfinity gigabit). My network is immaculate (I'm an IT guy) and I can confirm that WiFi calling is still flawless with AT&T here, which has a weaker cellular signal. Also WiFi calling is about flawless if I'm in airplane mode.

2. Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped?  For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

Happens any time. Calls drop regularly, even though I have a decent cellular signal that never drops calls when WiFi calling is off. Often I just get voicemails without my phone having rang (again, using WiFi calling). 

3. Please indicate the device type and if the device was added to your account as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

iPhone Xs Max and iPhone 8, both purchased from my XM store.

4. Please provide your ZIP code.

Regular Contributor

*** All Wifi

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped?  For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

*** The only thing in common is Wifi calls in general.  Seems possibly worse talking to someone else who also XM (on my acct for example)

BYOD - Iphone 6s originally, now 8 and 8plus

4.Please provide your ZIP code. 80918

New Poster

I have been with Xfinity WiFi for 2 years, switched from Verizon after 18 years to save some money. 4 of us on Plan. Two unlimited plan, two share data. After about a year, April 2019, I started experiencing dropped calls, never receiving any indication that anyone called me, etc. most of this was happening at home. In August time frame, I found this forum and decided to start the workaround to switch to WiFi calling. It does at least help me make and receive calls at times, sometimes not though. Bouncing out of WiFi to Xfinity Mobile, etc. My husband is on the same plan as me, in the same house and doesn't experience any of these issues. Neither do my kids, not at home though. After more than 50+ calls with Comcast, them telling me it is Apple and even forced me to go switch out my phone, since it was still under warranty, didn't help. Have switched out SIM card twice.  Escalated to Verizon. Everything I tried did nothing.
I am worried using my phone to make a call, can't even conference call in for work, because of dropped calls. I don't know what I would do in an emergency. When it is in Xfinity Mobile, it won't even place the call, most times. 
In the first year, my iPhone SE was a BYOD, but a year later, bought a new iPhone 8 through Xfinity, then have a newer iPhone 8 switched with Apple in Nov. 2019. Still the same miserable service. No consistency or pattern. Zip is 03840. Please help figure this out. This isn't fair. I want to switch back to Verizon, even called to get prices. But I feel Xfinity should figure this out or pay my Verizon bill to switch. I never had any calling issues with Verizon, and have lived in the same house. I have warned friends about the issues I am having and most wont switch because of it. It's too bad that we finally found a plan that was reasonably priced, but apparently it comes with major flaws! This is unacceptable Comcast!!

Contributor

@rtilden wrote:

I have been with Xfinity WiFi for 2 years, switched from Verizon after 18 years to save some money. 4 of us on Plan. Two unlimited plan, two share data. After about a year, April 2019, I started experiencing dropped calls, never receiving any indication that anyone called me, etc. most of this was happening at home. In August time frame, I found this forum and decided to start the workaround to switch to WiFi calling. It does at least help me make and receive calls at times, sometimes not though. Bouncing out of WiFi to Xfinity Mobile, etc. My husband is on the same plan as me, in the same house and doesn't experience any of these issues. Neither do my kids, not at home though. After more than 50+ calls with Comcast, them telling me it is Apple and even forced me to go switch out my phone, since it was still under warranty, didn't help. Have switched out SIM card twice.  Escalated to Verizon. Everything I tried did nothing.
I am worried using my phone to make a call, can't even conference call in for work, because of dropped calls. I don't know what I would do in an emergency. When it is in Xfinity Mobile, it won't even place the call, most times. 
In the first year, my iPhone SE was a BYOD, but a year later, bought a new iPhone 8 through Xfinity, then have a newer iPhone 8 switched with Apple in Nov. 2019. Still the same miserable service. No consistency or pattern. Zip is 03840. Please help figure this out. This isn't fair. I want to switch back to Verizon, even called to get prices. But I feel Xfinity should figure this out or pay my Verizon bill to switch. I never had any calling issues with Verizon, and have lived in the same house. I have warned friends about the issues I am having and most wont switch because of it. It's too bad that we finally found a plan that was reasonably priced, but apparently it comes with major flaws! This is unacceptable Comcast!!

I just want to say that this post helps me feel less crazy. My wife's phone works pretty decent - not perfect but better than mine (XS hers, vs X me). I've been considering changing phones, which frankly I didn't want to pay for - this at least tells me I'm not crazy, and that there are other households with a similar issue.

New Poster

Not exclusive. All

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped? For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

Random. No pattern.

6S plus from ATT
6D from ATT

FYI. Rented an xfinity wireless Gateway today for 15 bucks a month to see if it would improve. Not so far. Older Motorola wifi router worked fine and ATT wifi call was seamless on it. Never ever had this issues with att cell service on xfinity internet. Only issue since switching to XM. Seriously considering scrapping XM and paying more to be able to make and receive phone calls.
Contributor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Did anybody else get this alert?

A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!

Topic: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues
Author: DreamSayerZ (Frequent Visitor)
Date: 04-11-2018 07:21 PM

Please tell me that's n odd bug I saw or something? 1 - I see no solution, and 2 - this is def not resolved?

Frequent Visitor

I got the same email and also did not find the solution.
Contributor

In EMAIL

"A reply to a topic you are following has been accepted as a solution!"

Seriously ?

Do not email me that there is a solution when there is none other than to go to airplane mode when in a weak cell environment and good WiFi.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue as all most all the posters.

1. Not associated with any particular wifi 

2. calls all being dropped regardless of time of day or whether I initiate the call or recieve the call. Random

3. iphone X and iphone 11pro. Both were added to XM as BYOD.  

4. 94588

Been an absolute nightmare trying to make or recieve calls.  What good is a cellurlar service you cant use!  Loking into returning to Verizon. High cost but wifi calling worked perfectly.

Contributor

@m1928 wrote:

In EMAIL

Do not email me that there is a solution when there is none other than to go to airplane mode when in a weak cell environment and good WiFi.

Is THAT what they are saying the solution is? Well. That is hogwash Even if i DID work 100% of the time (it certainly does not, maybe 80%) - having to remember to turn on/off airplane mode is unacceptable.

Regular Contributor

No solution. Nothing changed. Got the same email. Means nothing. It’s still a mess. WIFI CALLING DOES NOT WORK!
Frequent Visitor

Just noticed that the date of the solution was April 2018. 1E873B2C-F18B-4AC4-9554-0D584198C954.jpeg

Contributor

80909/80918

iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, both on latest iOS. Both purchased new from xfinity store. Also have a byod 6s+ that came from att (which had no problems with WiFi calling). All three phones drop calls. All day long today my xs max dropped calls, 95% incoming calls were dropped today. Gigabit service at home, drops calls, purchase modem. Gigabit service at work on an xb6, calls dropped. EPON service at work on an XF6, all calls dropped as well. WiFi assist turned off. All SIM cards replaced. Airplane mode on with WiFi, calls still dropped. Factory reset and set up as a new phone with nothing else installed - calls dropped. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes calls work for an hour, sometimes they don’t ever work, my phone never rings anymore but I do get voicemails eventually! Outgoing calls never complete, just silence till I hang up and try multiple times.

I really just want this fixed. On call requires me to answer the phone. If it goes straight to voicemail, I’ll never know of a problem and customers will suffer.

I would be happy to provide any other info you need, and will go through any other testing you can suggest, but let’s stop beating a dead horse and escalate this already.
Contributor

Welp - IOS 13.3.1 is out. I see nothing in notes about a Wi-Fi Calling bug fix, but maybe we get a miracle - NOT that I think this is an IOS issue. But hey, stranger things.

I'll update in a day or two with findings.

https://www.redmondpie.com/ios-13.3.1-final-release-notes-changelog-heres-what-is-new/

New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem. I have great wifi connectivity, but I'm not able to get calls. When I do make calls out the quality is terrible and I get complaints that the person on the other end of the line can't hear me.
Contributor

@EvilTwinTepe wrote:

Welp - IOS 13.3.1 is out. I see nothing in notes about a Wi-Fi Calling bug fix, but maybe we get a miracle - NOT that I think this is an IOS issue. But hey, stranger things.

I'll update in a day or two with findings.

https://www.redmondpie.com/ios-13.3.1-final-release-notes-changelog-heres-what-is-new/

Shockingly, or perhaps not, the update did not fix WiFi calling on XM. I still pop between WiFi and Carrier signal.

Regular Contributor

Workarounds

I'm amazed that this is still going on...but figured I'd chime in.

I have poor cell reception at home on every carrier.

My wifi calling worked great with AT&T, prior to XM.

With XM, I would get wifi drops -- airplane mode didn't help much (aside from makeing me feel like I was doing something), switching routers/wifi channels/bands/etc. didn't help at all. I was hoping Apple would give us a software fix that made the iPhone as forgiving as Android on unstable wifi calling networks, but that never happened.

Then I switched to Sprint, same iPhone XRs, same network and not a single wifi call drop over the past few months.

For anyone looking for a workaround without buying out your phones and departing, the best one in my experience was getting Google Voice, telling folks to reach me at that line and making any important calls from that line. It spared me from losing my mind. Google Voice doesn't support 3-way calling, but is otherwise very functional for a free product and uses Google's network for the WiFi calling (and XM's network for cellular calling, which seemed to work for the most part). It only takes a couple of minutes to download the app on your phone and can help you temporarily forget about your wifi calling headaches.

Contributor

Re: Workarounds

Best workaround offered is to switch to Sprint and be done!
Worked for me too!
Contributor

@authenticpaul wrote:
Worked for me too!

I get it, I do, but it'd be really nice of XM actually worked.

HOWEVER

Just to put it out there, got a Mint Mobile test SIM today - 0 issues. I've got 0-2 bars of service in the house (it fluctuates) and I havent' left WiFI Calling even once. I was able to palce and receive calls on my temp number.

Contributor

@EvilTwinTepe wrote:

@authenticpaul wrote:
Worked for me too!

I get it, I do, but it'd be really nice of XM actually worked.

HOWEVER

Just to put it out there, got a Mint Mobile test SIM today - 0 issues. I've got 0-2 bars of service in the house (it fluctuates) and I havent' left WiFI Calling even once. I was able to palce and receive calls on my temp number.

Well, I know it is a shock, but my Mint SIM chip has worked flawlessly and better in every regard. Wifi Calling has never 'dropped' as long as I had a good wifi signal, and calls have all worked without fail.

XM - please get your act together and fix this, or lose yet another customer.

Regular Contributor

Yet another proof!!!
Its not the wifi signal
Its not our phones, models serial numbers BYOD vs Xfinity bought
Its not the sim cards.. How much more do you need?!!
IT’S YOUR SERVICE THAT’S A PROBLEM XFINITY
Regular Contributor

Has anybody noticed a difference recently. Not for the better unfortunately.
Our phones do not have XM WIFI calling 90% of a time for past few days. Phones are stuck on miserable 1 bar cell service and are not useable! They will display XMWIFI calling for a short while after a reboot or airplane mode on/off but soon after it drops. What’s going on?!
Contributor

I sadly would no longer know. Well. Not that sadly. I am now a Mint mobile customer for roughly the same price, and HEY my phone works.

Regular Contributor

Congratulations. 🙂
Frequent Visitor

For the huge number of us who continue to suffer with lousy WiFi calling service it would be nice if the Comcast employee who recently responded here would give us an update. Given that all other cellular companies seem to have successfully implemented WiFi calling one would think it’s not rocket science.
Regular Contributor

Update 😂
They don’t even know what that word means. And in fairness to those guys so busy deleting our posts, they are probably told xfinity is working on it. Which I think we should finally accept is a lie!!
New Poster

I have the same issue. One bar and sometimes no service in an area that usually has all bars. I went to the xfinity store earlier this week and they said it was probably the sim card which they replaced. Phone still has dropped calls, call failing and lots of frustration.
Regular Contributor

It’s hard to believe that after 2 years of this, xfinity employees at their stores as well as on tech support line, don’t know about this issue or are told to pretend they have never heard about it. That’s one way to keep selling service that doesn’t work as it should.
Bad sim card😂🤣
New Poster

My parents are experiencing this issue as well, after switching from ATT to XM. We have tried different phones and all the things all the rest have but no improvment. iphone 8, X, 11

We have only tested airplane mode once but that didnt seem to work. They get 1 to 2 bars of signal so wifi calling was supposed to be the solution when in fact it just doesnt work. Calls drop constantly and consistently. 

its just time to find a new carrier. 

New Poster

Still dropping almost every call

My husband and I drop almost every call. No matter whether they are to/from each other or calls from different carriers.

Something I’ve noticed is when I make a call, the phone will be ringing for an extended period of time, do a strange tone change and then continue ringing until it is picked up on the other end (or dropped). My husband said that when this happens, he answers my call which fails, but his phone automatically rings again (my end is still ringing- maybe this is when I hear weird tone change) and then he is able to answer. Like the call drops but automatically retries calling without me doing it. Ugh.

Random pattern - unpredictable
I drop calls at home and EVERYWHERE

We both have XS Max purchased from Xfinity - ios up to date.

Our WiFi is Comcast and typically works fine.

Very, VERY tired of this. We would have switched carriers months ago when this started but we still owe about half on our phones. Boo.
Regular Contributor

Re: Still dropping almost every call

I experienced the same thing with the tone change and retrying the call without me redialing. Also noticed that XM WIFI calling drops and regular cell signal pics up when I try to make a call. The second the call is initiated the XM WIFI drops.
New Poster

I've thought about this issue for a long time, and perhaps the Comcast employees can enlighten us.  It seems that the real issue most of us are having is that the phone does not stay connected to an available stronger wi-fi signal, and instead tries to switch over to a weak or non-existent cellular signal, causing lots of dropped or missed calls.

Now, from the moment Comcast announced this venture, I thought it was an intriguing idea (I am a former long time employee and stockholder), create a quasi-free 'network' for calling by using the wi-fi that customers already have, and then supplement it with leased cell access when not around a Comcast wi-fi signal.

So why on earth doesn't this network PRIORITIZE WI-FI CALLING, since that seems to be the primary goal?  Logic dictates you use the FREE resource as much as possible BEFORE paying to lease access from another vendor.

in my mind, once a decent Wi-Fi signal is found, the phone should be locked to it until it's no longer viable, saving Comcast money and keeping the service as reliable as possible.

Am I wrong?

Contributor

You make terrific and very logical points!
Who knows what’s really going on here?
It’s 2 years on and no fix.

Switch to another carrier and the problem with WiFi calling goes away!
New Poster

I have disabled WiFi assist and still have the same issues. But i get the dropped calls both on WiFi calling and on xfinity mobile.

I had AT&T for over 10 years with no issues like this. I switched to XM last year and nothing but constant connectivity issues. At first i thought it was my new iPhone, but my old iPhone 7 is getting the dropped calls as well.
New Poster

I have had my SIM card replaced 3 times now. No change.
Contributor

Doug, logically you are correct. I have never understood why the phone even considers a cell connection when it has a WiFi connection.
I am one of the lucky ones. If I keep the phone in airplane mode and make sure I am connected to the strongest access point and don’t walk around, I am able to make and receive phone calls. The downside to this is that I often forget to take the phone out of airplane mode when I leave the house.

It’s been disappointing that Comcast doesn’t appear to be interested in fixing this. I have had the issue since I switched to XM mobile 2 years ago and there has been no progress.

I assume SIM cards are incredibly cheap as Comcast has you switch them even though I have never heard of any case where a new SIM card has solved the problem.

For so many with a weak Verizon cell signal, WiFi calling is necessary to make the phone usable as a phone.
Regular Contributor

Ooops
your post will likely get deleted...you used 3 exclamation points🤣
A long time ago this situation was laughable. I am not sure how to describe this anymore...
Below any standards.
Regular Contributor

@JDouglasK wrote:

I've thought about this issue for a long time, and perhaps the Comcast employees can enlighten us.  It seems that the real issue most of us are having is that the phone does not stay connected to an available stronger wi-fi signal, and instead tries to switch over to a weak or non-existent cellular signal, causing lots of dropped or missed calls.

Now, from the moment Comcast announced this venture, I thought it was an intriguing idea (I am a former long time employee and stockholder), create a quasi-free 'network' for calling by using the wi-fi that customers already have, and then supplement it with leased cell access when not around a Comcast wi-fi signal.

So why on earth doesn't this network PRIORITIZE WI-FI CALLING, since that seems to be the primary goal?  Logic dictates you use the FREE resource as much as possible BEFORE paying to lease access from another vendor.

in my mind, once a decent Wi-Fi signal is found, the phone should be locked to it until it's no longer viable, saving Comcast money and keeping the service as reliable as possible.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, I think you're wrong and Comcast is piggybacking on Verizon's wifi calling as an MVNO, which likely gets you deprioritized against their retail customers. Not only is there no incentive for Comcast to use their wifi network, but like the little street corner MVNO who seems to have a better price on Verizon's service, the tradeoff is lower priority on the network. 

What you think Comcast is doing is what Google Voice does. Download the free app on your phone and they use XM for cellular calls and their own wifi calling where available. You'll notice there are no wifi drops (and that's on a free service mind you).

Ultimately there's no real free lunch (granted, some free lunches are better than what you're getting) and if you want reliable service, you're better off finding a deal with one of the major carriers as there are good deals out there.

I stayed on XM for about a year and I survived poor wifi calling with Google voice, but got tired redirecting or calling people back from by Google # and finally switched out.  Not worth saving a few bucks a month for all that hassle.

Frequent Visitor

I completely agree with your points, and I too, switched away from XM. I now have flawless WiFi calling without the hassles.
Contributor

Yes,stopped the nonsense and switched carriers.
No more wi-fi
calling issues!

Regular Visitor

What carrier did you switch to?
Frequent Visitor

Tired of waiting for a fix from xfinity.  Tired of haviing a phone that is useless most of the time for making or recieving calls.  Called it quits yesterday and moved to Verizon.  Works beautifuly on wifi and they had great opltions when you bring your own phone costwise.  

New Poster

We recently changed from Verizon.  We do well when we are outside our home.  But, even when we are in our home and sitting right next to the wi-if modem we do not hear our phone ring, if it does ring it goes directly to voice mail.  This is very aggravating.  We are close to going back to Verizon regardless of the additional cost.