Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

New Poster

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

I have been fighting this issue for almost 2 years. I have Comcast internet, tv and phone service and have had technicians come out to correct the issue and each one has come up with a solution that seems to work for 1 or 2 weeks. I have replaced my phone system in my home which is connected to 5 phones. Comcast has changed the port in my condo of 32 units (they are other condo's in this building that do not have problems with Comcast phone service)  replaced the modem twice, fixed a cable that was leaking signal, replaced the wire from my phone system to the modem, my IOS is up to date and I even replaced my apple computer which is not related to the phone issue. The last technician just left and he is also puzzled, but replaced the modem because I wanted him to. No one has the answer.

Frequent Visitor

I wish I had a dollar for every attempted fix for this problem. I suspect Comcast has committed significant resources addressing this issue expecting its first and second tier support staff to continue performing pointless troubleshooting and equipment replacement. It's so stupid!! If you are reading this post hoping your WiFi calling is suddenly going to work, forget about it. If you need WiFi calling, switch carriers today.
New Poster

It’s just odd. We are in a dead spot for some reason. Internet, cable tv and all WiFi devices work well except phone. Just doesn’t make sense. Works better with ATT microcell and ATT carrier but their WiFi calling without microcell is no better. Than Comcast mobile and they charge so much!
Regular Contributor

The more the merrier. Class Actions lawsuit is inevitableSmiley Happy
And I agree, lack of acknowledgement and pure ignorance on part of xfinity and their employees is astonishing.
Regular Contributor

The more the merrier. Class Action lawsuit is inevitable..
And I completely agree. The lack of acknowledgement and pure ignorance on part of xfinity and their employees is astonishing!
Contributor

@loulynch wrote:
It’s just odd. We are in a dead spot for some reason. Internet, cable tv and all WiFi devices work well except phone. Just doesn’t make sense. Works better with ATT microcell and ATT carrier but their WiFi calling without microcell is no better. Than Comcast mobile and they charge so much!

Wow, that's rough. WiFi calling was flawless for me on AT&T, but I can't get it to work with XM. Lucky enough that I don't need it, just want it.

New Poster

I’ve had this issue as well. As soon as either myself or someone else tries to answer, the call says failed. What I’ve read up and tried, is you have to go into settings and reset your network .settings. So on IPhones, go to settings, then General, then go all the way to the bottom where is says “reset”. Click that the. Reset network settings. That solved the issue with me. But only temporarily.
New Poster

Any luck with the SIM card swap?
Regular Contributor

Again! This is xfinity issue. ITS NOT YOUR PHONES
/NETWORKS. Nothing you do will fix it.
Regular Contributor

What about those whose WiFi calling works? There must be more to this issue. It works for us. I have to use it in my basement where the cell signal is too weak. My only issue with it is that it doesn’t work right with voicemail.

iPhone 11 Pro
Netgear Orbi Router
Netgear CM500V Modem

iPhone 11 Pro
Watch Series 5 Blk Ti
Regular Contributor

It doesn’t work right period. And that’s the point. Xfinity is guilty of not acknowledging the issue lack of updates as to what and why is the issue or anybody doing anything about it, and selling devices that do not work right on their network. It just may be the issue with only certain models of Iphones, but they should know that and not sell or support those on their network.
New Poster

Re: Here's a WiFi calling issue fix

Thanks for this. It helped me in the immediate situation but is Xfinity working on a fix for this? As soon as I go back to normal operation (turn off airplane mode) the WiFi calling is disabled again.
New Poster

I am having the same problem.  We live in a condo where cell service is very bad.  We rely on wifi calling and it was fine with verizon.  Now that we have switched to Xfinity Mobile, our wifi calling doesn't work.  It's extremely frustrating to have most of our calls fail.  I keep seeing notes from ComcastKenF official employee and he says "please send me a private message"  I would love to send him a private message, but I don't know how.  Can anyone tell me how to do send him a pm?

Regular Contributor

Don’t bother. It’s a waste of time.
He or any other Comcast employee will do nothing to solve this. It’s been 2 years of this. Constant runaround, change the sim card, reset settings, reset phone, call support... same old same old and nothing works.
New Poster

WiFi calling just doesn't work at all ever!

I've been trying to use wifi calling since it was introduced. I've tried 3 phones (all iPhones). My current phone is an iPone 7 running iOS 13.3 but my problem occurs with every iOS since the beginning. I have literally spent hours on the phone with Xfinity, Apple and my router manufacturer TP-LINK. Nobody has a clue. Most recently my phone doesn't even display XM WiFi unless I turn wifi calling off then reboot the phone then turn it back on. It's not long before XM WiFi disappears and xfinity mobile is back! WiFi calling is critical since the cell signal is so poor at my house. This is my last desperate plea for help before I move on to another carrier!

Most Valued Poster

Re: WiFi calling just doesn't work at all ever!

It has never worked for me ever.  Dropped calls at best.  Most of the time nothing.  I would think two tin cans and some string would work better.  No joke.

Messed with it the just the other day on wifey's phone who does not care about it at all, and all I got was some error message saying I need to contact Xfinity.  Now mind you this is all on a XM locked phone that has been in service over 2 years.  Just frustrating.  It is almost like after all this time XM big wigs are still learning how to manage a cell service.  

Cheap rates are good, but one would say one gets what they pay for.  If I were you and NEEDED wifi calling, I would move on.  You can get around 150 for your iphone 7 on Swappa in decent shape.  

Frequent Visitor

I wonder if the issue is that the phone starts the call on wifi calling, but then gets a bump in service and switches to LTE, but the signal is weak so rather then switching back it drops the call. Let me ask everyone this question... Are those of us who are getting dropped calls using our "own" routers, or are some of you using the Xfinity Wifi Router from Comcast? I'm using the new Nest Wifi Mesh, and was wondering if using my Xfinity Wifi router from Comcast would fix the issue. Hmm..

Frequent Visitor

Nope, I have xfinity xfi gateway and my calls drop all the time.  I tried to call xfinity and my call dropped 5 times.  They called me back and the call failed twice.  It is hopeless.  When my phone is paid off, I am going to Visible with the rest of my family.  Their calls don't fail. and with 4 on the package, it will be $25 per person unlimited.

Frequent Visitor

Not sure when it will be fixed or if it will that’s the annoying thing about it
Regular Contributor

It’s not the router. I personally tried 3 different ones including xfinity. No difference.
The question is how they can keep selling their service claiming that wifi calling is supported. It clearly isn’t!!
Most Valued Poster

Can a Comcast employee chime in here and give us an update?  It would be nice.  

Frequent Visitor

I switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile, while I’ve never had a dropped call at home my wife has it happen a lot, granted she’s on the phone much longer then I am. But 2 things I noticed 1 my phone will go from no service on XM-WiFi to 1 bar of Xfinity Mobile. Now by right when Wifi calling is on it should be making ALL calls over Wifi matter how strong the cell signal is so long as your Wifi connection has internet... I’m just wondering if it’s an xfinity problem or an Apple problem... is anyone having dropped calls on an android phone? I’m just trying to eliminate solutions even if it’s been done in the past, things change
Regular Contributor

From what I’ve seen on this forum this problem is isolated to Iphones only. No android issues were ever reported.
If it’s Iphone problem, why it is never an issue with other providers and the wifi calling feature. My same phones were working great with At&t wifi calling.
BTW, don’t hold your breath for any updates from xfinity. There hasn’t been an update that makes any sense for 2 years nowSmiley Happy
Most Valued Poster

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
From what I’ve seen on this forum this problem is isolated to Iphones only. No android issues were ever reported.
If it’s Iphone problem, why it is never an issue with other providers and the wifi calling feature. My same phones were working great with At&t wifi calling.
BTW, don’t hold your breath for any updates from xfinity. There hasn’t been an update that makes any sense for 2 years nowSmiley Happy

I believe you are correct.  The reason I say so is a friend of mine stopped over today who is also on XM.  He has a Samsung Galaxy phone of some type that he bought off ebay and slapped a SIM card into.  One of those "unauthorized"  SIM swaps that the guys at the XM store will tell you does not work.  LOL.  I asked him to try wifi calling and it worked perfectly.  No issues.  

So there you have it. 

Frequent Visitor

Ok let me ask this. My AT&T service at my house was NONE, my Verizon and XM is very spotty maybe a bar some times. Was this the case with your AT&T service? None at the house? If so that could be it, when there’s NO service at all the iPhone isn’t switching back and forth, it’s just staying on WiFi Calling. Again, the phone shouldn’t be switching back and forth unless your Wifi is weak which mine isn’t, yet it switches back to XM when a signal pops up.
Frequent Visitor

I also read that if dropped calls are an issue turn on Airplane Mode while at home (and turn Wifi back on) to prevent the iPhone from switching back and forth. Is there away to have this done automatically? I know with android phones I think you can set it so when your phone connects to your Wifi it turns off settings and when it disconnects from your Wifi it turns on settings... that way it’s not forgotten
Frequent Visitor

With airplane mode turned on and Wifi on, ive had no more dropped calls. I set a short cut so when my phone connects to my homes Wifi it turns on Airplane Mode, and when it connects to my trucks Bluetooth it turns it back off.
Regular Contributor

My AT&T signal was 0 bars and wifi calling worked like a dream.
No, there is no way ti have airplane mode on/off automatically. You can ask Siri to remind you. It is not a solution in my book, besides it didn’t work for me anyway.
Frequent Visitor

So your AT&T service was 0 bars, how about Xfinity Mobile? Does it go in and out 1 bar to no bars?
Regular Contributor

Same with xfinity. Between no service to 1 bar. Goes in and out between xm wifi, no service or xfinity 1 bar.
How do you set up that shortcut? And how does it connect to your trucks Bluetooth if airplane mode is on?
Frequent Visitor

I used the Short Cut app, and made a personal automation, so when my phone connects to home Wifi it turns airplane mode on, then made another personal automation to turn airplane mode off when Bluetooth connects to truck / car. I made 1 for my car and 1 for my wife’s car. I wish apple would create a short cut option for when the phone disconnects from WiFi.
Frequent Visitor

Also, with iOS 13 after you turn on airplane mode, turn on WiFi and Bluetooth. When you turn it off and back on Bluetooth and WiFi will stay on
Frequent Visitor

Let me rephrase that in case someone reads that wrong... Turn on Airplane mode, then turn on WiFi and Bluetooth, when you turn off airplane mode off (leaving WiFi and Bluetooth on) the next time you turn on airplane mode WiFi and Bluetooth should stay on.
Contributor

@benmarshall76 wrote:
I used the Short Cut app, and made a personal automation, so when my phone connects to home Wifi it turns airplane mode on, then made another personal automation to turn airplane mode off when Bluetooth connects to truck / car. I made 1 for my car and 1 for my wife’s car. I wish apple would create a short cut option for when the phone disconnects from WiFi.

THANK you for this, I am going to try it. Instead of bluetooth I basically said "When I leave home turn off Airplane Mode". This (if it works) is a good work-around/band-aid but not solution.

We had AT&T in the past, and same as XM, we'd get maybe 1 bar in the house. This made WiFI calling a MUST with both services. However, WiFi calling stayed on an worked with AT&T when there was WiFi, as opposed to XM where it comes and goes.

Frequent Visitor

So far the only flaw I’ve seen and maybe I’m missing something is that when I get in the truck it doesn’t flip the switch automatically, but my phone pops up and asks me to do it, which at least for now helps. If someone finds a way that does it completely automatically let me know.
Contributor

@benmarshall76 wrote:
So far the only flaw I’ve seen and maybe I’m missing something is that when I get in the truck it doesn’t flip the switch automatically, but my phone pops up and asks me to do it, which at least for now helps. If someone finds a way that does it completely automatically let me know.

I have a distributed WiFi here, which I now realize may be problematic. Even Google WiFi causes you to 'drop' and 'reconnect' as you move from AP to  AP, which in turns may be causing part of my WiFi drop issues. Testing this a bit more by removing an AP from a room that is likely too clsoe to the base. And move the further AP er, further away.

However, I did not have this issue, again, with AT&T.

So I've changed the Automatiion to be when I arrive or leave my house location, we'll see if it helps.

Frequent Visitor

Hmm that’s a good point, I was under the impression that the newer mesh WiFi set ups like the new Nest WiFi by google was suppose to be more fluid without dropping connection. I could be wrong. I know tho my dropped calls is picking up that 1 bar of service, in fact as soon as I got in my truck and turned airplane off I noticed my phone went from XM WiFi to XM Mobile with 1 bar then no bars, no service, then to XM WiFi and then back again. I really think Apple needs to boost the switch so when the phone has 2 bars or more then switch over instead of as soon as it “thinks” there’s enough service to be stable.
Frequent Visitor

Let me know how the location based automation works, I worried it would either drain my battery fast, or wouldn’t detect I was home or away as accurately.
Contributor

@benmarshall76 wrote:
Hmm that’s a good point, I was under the impression that the newer mesh WiFi set ups like the new Nest WiFi by google was suppose to be more fluid without dropping connection. I could be wrong. I know tho my dropped calls is picking up that 1 bar of service, in fact as soon as I got in my truck and turned airplane off I noticed my phone went from XM WiFi to XM Mobile with 1 bar then no bars, no service, then to XM WiFi and then back again. I really think Apple needs to boost the switch so when the phone has 2 bars or more then switch over instead of as soon as it “thinks” there’s enough service to be stable.

Yea - that is a whole other (perhaps root) issue. WiFI calling on, it still gets drop even if I have 1 bar (and sometimes less than on). I'm just saying part of my wifi calling woes may be the AP switch.

I'll let you know how location works. I already use location for a bunch of things and don't notice a major impact though battery wise. My Nest thermostat and banking app all regualrly are checking location for when I come and go without impact.

I'm a hermit LOL so I'll let you know how the switch over actually functions the next time I leave Smiley Wink

Contributor

So Airplane mode witha  strong WiFi signal does not work for me. Calls in go to voicemail, calls out fail. Found this out today as I am on call for work and missed calls.

Frequent Visitor

That’s strange, airplane mode fixed all my drop call problems. I haven’t had 1 dropped call or missed call since I started turning it on. I use to miss calls before because my phone would be switching from WiFi Calling to Cell service over and over as I’d walk thru the house. I don’t know why it’s such a low signal level when it switches over. My Samsung Galaxy S10 stays on WiFi Calling the whole time, never switches over. That being said my S10 doesn’t have as strong as of an antenna as the iPhone, so maybe it’s not picking up the service enough to trip it over. I ordered a cell signal booster and am going to try that route. If that takes my 2 bars of ok service from outside and pushes it inside then my problem will solved. I do think that a internet provider that’s jumped in to the cell phone game SHOULD sell a signal booster that works over WiFi such as the Network Extender from Verizon. I used an old one for years but it was only a 3g one and with CDMA gone, it only had a 1x signal and would still drop calls
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

Firstly, I want to thank you for your continued patience and support.  Know that it means a great deal to us.  Rest assured that this thread has not gone unnoticed.  I want to make sure that we continue to put our resources to work for everyone and will be doing additional research into this situation.

Our aim, as always, will be to identify a culprit and bring forth resolution.  For the record, I also want to make sure that everyone is taking the steps needed to establish a reliable Wi-Fi calling service.  Please refer to the link below to go over the details;

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/what-is-wifi-calling

Keep in mind that Wi-Fi calling is not a standard service on all phones.  The article above indicates the makes and models that do not feature Wi-Fi calling as a function on the device.

Furthermore, I also want to make sure that when you are using Wi-Fi calling on Wi-Fi calling enabled devices, please disable Wi-Fi assist on iPhone and disable Intelligent Wi-Fi on Samsung or any other version of Wi-Fi assist on other Android devices.

For those who have attempted and implemented the recommended steps for stable Wi-Fi calling to no avail, please reach out to me privately by clicking on my name ComcastChrisL, which will direct you to my profile page and from there click on the blue ‘send message’ button.  In your private message please include the following info needed for account authentication;

First and last name, mobile number, full service address, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.

Lastly, if you reply to this public thread, please provide an answer for the following questions;

1.Are calls being dropped exclusively to one Wi-Fi signal or on all Wi-Fi signals?

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped?  For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day?

3.Please indicate the device type and if the device was added to your account as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device).

4.Please provide your ZIP code.

I anticipate that I may receive a multitude of responses and I apologize in advance if you don’t hear back from me immediately.  We will work this situation with the diligence that it merits and will make sure to touch base with everyone that contacts me privately.  Again, I can’t thank you enough for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Chris

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

It was bold of you to come into the thread - I think I can safely say none of us are thrilled there right now. To start, my wife and I both get about 1 bar of service at the house. She has a iPhone XS and does not SEEM to be having the issue as badly as me. She also doesn't use WiFi calling, as calls she gets at home are ok with 1 bar of service sometimes. Often she just uses her work phone.

However I appreciate your help, though I have tried much of the troubleshooting steps. First things first though, my responses to questions are in blue below:

First and last name, mobile number, full service address, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.

I sent you the above in a direct message.

Lastly, if you reply to this public thread, please provide an answer for the following questions;

1.Are calls being dropped exclusively to one Wi-Fi signal or on all Wi-Fi signals? As far as I know all. I only care about home though as this is where I work and get calls 99.9% of the time. This was NOT an issue with AT&T. Let me say that again, WiFi calling was not an issue, in this house, with this exact same hardware, on this channel/SSID when I had AT&T.

2.Have you identified a pattern to when the calls are being dropped? For instance, does it happen in the mornings only, or during all times of day? No patterns, at time it works, mostly it does not.

3.Please indicate the device type and if the device was added to your account as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device). It is an iPhone X, which I was my BYOD on Oct 5, 2019.

4.Please provide your ZIP code. Included in the direct message.

Other important bits:

WiFI Assist is OFF

Things that I have tried:

Re-seating the SIM.

Replacing the SIM (once)

Rebooted my home network.

Rebooted my iPhone.

Reset my network settings, many times, on iPhone.

Tried turning on WiFi calling when I had a 'strong' cell signal - which really is a useless requirement, since I only need to use it at home.

I have tried this with Airplane mode on and off - and either way is just as bad as usual - sometimes it works, often it does not.

I've done all of the above (with the exception of SIM replacement) multiple times in different orders, often at the behest of XM support.

Regular Contributor

Guys it’s a joke. They deleted my post advising them to read the entire thread of 2 years of trouble shooting by everyone on this forum. Where s the violation in this???
Contributor

Comcast has been deleting posts on this thread for months.

Get too many posts removed (for no violation of forum policy, but rather for stating the truth that this problem is not being taken seriously) and your home internet speed will be reduced as punishment.

It has been months since a Comcast employee has even acknowledged this problem here and now all of a sudden, someone is "interested" enough to ask all the old questions. Next will be to offer all the old "suggestions."

If so many people weren't being affected and being billed for services not delivered, it would almost be funny.

As it is, sad.

Regular Contributor

Just as I suspected. Chris is just another xfinity greenhorn designated to clean up this thread, delete unflattering posts and pretend that something is getting done. Bravo 👏🏻
Frequent Visitor

It’s Groundhog Day! Chris, if you’re real I’ve performed all the same steps EvilTwinTepe performed to no avail and documented them on this thread. After two years of no WiFi calling at home, I switched back to Sprint. I no longer have any problems receiving or making calls using WiFi. Case closed.
Contributor

SO for those of us still trying to use the plan we own, can those of you who have left, at least for now, back off so as not to get this whole thread locked? I get it - maybe they do come in every so often to shut us up, fine. But you're not helping those who are still using the XM service.

NOTE: I don't disagree - the support has not been stellar, and the fact that all I'm told is to try the same tricks over and over is frustrating as get out. But here is hoping.

Regular Contributor

I respectfully disagree. People got short end of the stick by purchasing devices from Xfinity that didn’t work properly. They had to pay them off early to be to move to other carriers to be able to USE THEIR PHONES! That’s absurd.They should be able to voice their opinions about this company and how they treat or treated their customers. <Edited> I am still with xfinity for the recordSmiley Happy

Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I respectfully disagree. People got short end of the stick by purchasing devices from Xfinity that didn’t work properly. They had to pay them off early to be to move to other carriers to be able to USE THEIR PHONES! That’s absurd.They should be able to voice their opinions about this company and how they treat or treated their customers. Let the lock this thread all they want. We will open a new one until resolution is provided. Class action lawsuit is next. I am still with xfinity for the recordSmiley Happy

OH! I had thought you had left! My apologies. OK then I guess I need to rephrase - feel free to post your lack of enthusiasm for their attempted fixes - just try to do it contructively? Though you make a pretty valid point - we can just open other threads. I think I am still in the Shock and Denial bit of this and hoping for a fix. You are somwhere at Anger Smiley Wink