Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Contributor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Just an update for those who are wondering what ever happened after my private message from wonderful Comcast Support. Nothing! 😂😂
Over a week of messaging and it’s really hard to believe, but they suggested I use airplane, and I was recommended to replace the sim card (again!!). All the basics that were proven not effective in the first few pages of this thread. It looks like nobody really reads this stuff. I’m starting to think that the only ones responding to this thread (from comcast) are some new employees, complete rookies that are send here as a joke. Hazing of some sort...
This is beyond pathetic!
New Poster

WooHoo! I just found this thread after having been broken for a year with 3 different phones.  Xfinity... we need some help here.

Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I’m starting to think that the only ones responding to this thread (from comcast) are some new employees, complete rookies that are send here as a joke. Hazing of some sort...

Or perhaps we are unwitting participants in a complex psychological experiment. Makes about as much sense as anything at this point.

Frequent Visitor

After 90 days of poor call performance, call failures, and frustration with the WiFi calling our family made the trip down to the Verizon store and switched back to Verizon.  My phone calls initiate and go out confidently knowing WiFi calling will work at our home where we have very poor cellular coverage.  I also appreciate the call quality as I'm clearly using HD Voice calls which I don't think Xfinity was at that quality.

I will consider this my last reply, as we moved on.  I still like Xfinity for very reliable internet and we will remain a customer with them as our ISP.  

Good luck to all--

Frequent Visitor

Sorry Awib, all who enter here soon lose hope. Comcast execs know about your WiFi calling woes; however, after more than year (almost two!) have done absolutely nothing to remedy or improve the situation. The ONLY proven viable option is to switch carriers.
Frequent Visitor

Unfortutunately, you have seen the "flaw" in XM's engineering when setting up their system.  In order to receive dependable wi-fi calling  you must also have a "decent" cell signal in your home to go along with it. (this is what I have been told when calling in to XM phone support and also a 3-way call with a Verizon Tec)  Yes, I know what you are thinking ... "if I had a decent signal in-home why would I need wi-fi".  Welcome to the crowd caught in this "Catch 22" situation.  I can live with the oversight XM made when building their system, what I can't accept is that they have done NOTHING to correct it despite knowing it's an issue for well over a year.  I wish just one Comcast Support Member would respond on this forum and actually acknowledge the problem and be upfront and candid about what, if anything is planned to correct it.  In my last call to XM support(back in June) the rep's last words to me was " I think you just need to switch providers as we cannot help you any further"

Contributor

Yep switching providers fixes the issue.
Contributor

@aTm79 wrote:

Unfortutunately, you have seen the "flaw" in XM's engineering when setting up their system.  In order to receive dependable wi-fi calling  you must also have a "decent" cell signal in your home to go along with it. 

Repectfully, I believe this to be incorrect. My reasoning:

1. WiFi calling works flawlessly on XM in airplane mode (no cellular signal).

2. WiFi calling worked flawlessly for me when I was on AT&T with a worse cellular signal than I get with XM. I almost never drop cellular calls with XM but I do drop WiFi calls on XM (unless I'm in airplane mode). This is very common with the major carriers - weak signal, solid WiFi calling. 

3. It would seem that this issue is by and large limited to iPhone users on XM. Android users seem to be less affected or largely unaffected.

All three of these exclude the quality of the cellular signal being the principle factor. They point far more directly to the carrier settings that are being pushed to iPhones.

Contributor

It doesn’t work flawlessly on airplane mode for everybody.
New Poster

Airplane mode does not work for me either.

Weak signal and have WiFi Caling on and using Sprint. Works perfect.

XM is the issue.
Regular Contributor

As others have said and I can attest to, switching providers is the only real fix.

Frequent Visitor

Well, I'm just repeating what both the XM and the Verizon engineer told me when I had them on a 3-way call.  I do know that both of my children have no issues at all with having no cell signal in my house (only wi-fi).  They both have iPhones but use TM and Sprint.  I had ATT for 5 years without any issues.  Problem only started when switching to XM.  Also, just for the record Airplane mode does not work for me either, in fact, it's much worse.

I am now trying to determine if an outside antenna type signal booster(like a SureCall Flare) will work.  There seems to be conflicting information out there as to the compatibility to boost the Verizon MVNO signal XM uses.  If anyone out there has first-hand experiance with these devises, I would welcome your comments and observations.

Regular Visitor

Well, I switched my husbands phone to Visible and it is not much better.  He was in the driveway and trying to text me and call failed 7 times.  Still had connection to xfinity internet.  I just don't know what to do?

Contributor

Highly recommend Sprint.
Switched several months ago and not a dropped call since when using WiFi calling.
New Poster

Just changed out the SIM on my iPhone Max Pro... and for a day I felt elated that the call failures went away. Well, just realized later that wifi-calling was home (with radiant barriers)... so I turn on wifi calling and am back to square one with the Call Failures and Call Drops.

It is probably no open secret this is a major issue, and other than this, Xfinity Mobile has been great. 

Is there any indication if XM engineers are looking at this and have an ETA for fix?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but I could find the option to direct message a comcast support person after clicking on their profile name.

Contributor

I wish you luck getting any answers on this forum. Or any support from xfinity other than silly suggestions that were tested by everyone on this forum with no success. Get use to ot or switch carriers
Regular Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I wish you luck getting any answers on this forum. Or any support from xfinity other than silly suggestions that were tested by everyone on this forum with no success. Get use to ot or switch carriers

Sorry to hear the saga continues.

That extra piece of frustration in my daily life just wasn't worth it... and at the end of the day, I'm not paying much more for unlimited service with a lot more features (and  no wifi drops)

Frequent Visitor

Agree with all others. If you really need WiFi calling, XM has not shown any real effort or ability to fix it. You are best off switching carriers.
Contributor

Switch and your WiFi calling problems go away!
New Poster

Just ordered my new service / SIM from Sprint. Here's hoping to a happier outcome.

Xfinity really had the opportunity to do something great with cellular service, but if you won't support the iPhone community.... 

Contributor

We switched to Sprint and have been very pleased.
No wifi calling issues!
New Poster

This is my solution and it works for incoming calls. I have a Google Voice number and I forward my Xfinity Mobile # to my Google Voice number. If I need to make an outgoing call and I have no signal I use my Google Voice number. Let’s face it, I pay $2.53 a month for unlimited calls and text messages. I use no cellular data and use WiFi only on my iPhone 6. My main concern are emergency calls from family. So, Google Voice takes care of that.
New Poster

I assume this is still an issue as WiFi calling does not work for me either.While on WiFi in my house where I get 1 bar of service from Xfinity/Verizon/ATT I HAVE to use WiFi calling. This has worked for years for me it AT&T, and now 1 week into XM and I get constant call drops on answer, and incoming call go right to voicemail

If I turn on airplane mode it seems to work better, but this is hardly an acceptable solution.

New Poster

An update... I have been in touch with executive escalations team and they have helped me with some settings that definitely have made a difference, albeit with a catch.

This is what I have right now which almost has reduced the count of Call Failures to Zero (I need to get more calls to confirm this):

1. Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data

• Select "LTE, VoLTE Off"

2. Settings > Cellular > {Scroll all the way down} 

• Turn ON "Wi-Fi Assist"

Also, I have wifi-calling ON. Ensure your address is registered correctly by clicking on "Updated Emergency Address" under Wi-Fi Calling. Mine was not as per their system, although it showed an address on my phone. So I re-entered it using all lower case and saved again, it showed up then in their system.

The catch... because "LTE, VoLTE Off" when you are out of wifi, and on cellular, you won't get data when you are on a call. Also, call quality may be a bit lower. 

Else, things are much better as they continue investigation. The person helping me has been courteous and very helpful.

New Poster

Interesting -  don't have the following settings at al:

1. Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data

• Select "LTE, VoLTE Off"

I recall seeing these at one point, but I think they went away after updating my Profil to be Xfnty following some other suggested fix.

UPDATE: After doing a Netowrk Reset (iPhone, latest iOS 13) I SEE those options now. However after re-joining my home WiFi, WiFi calling won't enable.

UPDATE2: And after conmencting to MY WiFi, and turning WiFi on/off the option is gone again.

WHAT GIVES?