Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Regular Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Found the fix!!!!! Switched to Verizon. Works amazing. Too bad. Called support again today they have no clue.
Contributor

All - Same here, no improvement with 12.3. I updated a couple weeks ago and in some ways the problem has gotten worse for me. Multiple dropped calls both on and off WiFi. Also now having some issues with cellular data as well. Service is unreliable and I have dropped too many business calls at critical times.

I am finally done with XM and will be switching carriers this week. Too unreliable and too little being done to address the issue. This has gone on for far too long.

I did get a call from someone in cust svc this week asking for updates on the issue. I highlighted the forum and it’s popularity and the guy had the nerve to tell me that only 20k views was such a small percentage of the user base for XM since they had so many customers now. Can you believe that? 20k views is just the people who bothered to actually look at the forum and only represents a small sample of folks who actively look at forums, etc. The problem is far more pervasive and it’s time to go. Sorry XM - I gave you the benefit of the doubt for 8 months and I hope the problem gets addressed.
Frequent Visitor

I’ll probably pay off both XS Max phones and switch over to T-Mobile. I hear they have a promotion where they cover up to $650 to switch. It won’t cover everything but it’s something and getting rid of the XM headache may just be worth it.
Frequent Visitor

I think I'm in a position where I can make it official: I have the statement from Corporate Escalations, from my dedicated support executive (Chelsea).
My ticket number is ESL03506299, and the conversation was recorded (thank you Chelsea for informing me).

You can reach Corporate Escalations at +1(844)963-0087, but you need a 7-digit extension to talk to your "personal" support person. Here is what I was told:
WiFi calling is a feature that is supported by phones, not by carriers. Therefore, Xfinity does not include that feature in the services they charge for, nor can they guarantee that it works. As a matter of fact, if you live in an area where you have poor cellular coverage, WiFi calling won't work, but that is a problem with your phone, not us. Since this is not our responsibility, there is no ticket open with engineering, nor do we have the possibility to follow up on such a ticket, because it does not concern cellular services, which is where we offer our services.

Well, at least now we know.... officially!
I protested:
* Check out the Xfinity Mobile Facebook groups and web sites: WiFi calling is claimed as a supported feature.
* The "big" advantage and differentiator touted by Xfinity to compete against others, is the vast network of WiFi hotspots, and how Xfinity could use that network to bypass Cellular service; How do you do that without WiFi calling?
* The raison-d'etre (reason for existence) of WiFi Calling is to enable to make phone calls, when your cellular network is not available (poor connections in rural neighborhoods, or traveling abroad). Since I travel to Europe and Asia on a regular basis, this feature is essential to me, and was "guaranteed" by the employees at the Xfinity Mobile store... How can your employees guarantee a feature that is not guaranteed by corporate policy?

I had a lot more, but I my support person is a human being after all, being let down in a major way by the corporation she works for... I started feeling sorry for her; I told her I was infuriated, but not with her... Xfinity is clearly running a scam here, and all I can do is prevent my friends from switching, and figuring out how to go back to Verizon while not eating the cost of the phones I am still paying for at Xfinity...  Working on that.

Contributor

The response you got sounds like a classic customer service brush-off to me. It is simply untrue. WiFi calling is a carrier service that is provisioned by the carrier.

I can't imagine a world in which they are not anxious to get this solved, as it is meant to help their own bottom line by expanding their service range and by reducing the amount of bandwidth they have to lease from Verizon. It is part of their greater network ecosystem strategy.

I think they have some serious cultural issues within their own tech support departments, as it often seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. But I'd be truly surprised if Comcast were dumb enough not to want to solve this. 

Frequent Visitor

.Yes, the right hand may not know what the left is doing, but ........ It might also be that the group of complainers may actually be too small to bother with (ie. folks who bought iPhones from them, or BYODed) and are in an area with bad Verizon coverage. We’re so small that they really don’t mind loosing our business.

Until a Consumer Reports, You Tube, or one of the big digital magazines start reporting on this, I don’t think XM will move off of their current positions of our having set up our phones wrong (mine were set up by the XM store) or that it’s Apples fault. Their actions (inaction) speak louder than their works.

Really glad I switched back to Consumer Cellular. They even showed me how to hook up my phones to WIFI (same phone not working on XM WiFi) and they work perfectly. No dropped calls. Yippeeeee!

Contributor

@TheBauerFamily - did you have any problems with the process of porting your phone numbers over to Verizon? I am also trying to switch and having a problem with the porting and Verizon is telling me it takes three days to complete the port?
Regular Visitor

No mine was seemless. They did say that sometimes Comcast locks it and it has to be released and could take three days. He also said that is the longest it could take. Usually 24 hours. Good luck. All is good now. Too bad too I really wanted Comcast to work.
Frequent Visitor

@flandraco wrote:

I think I'm in a position where I can make it official: I have the statement from Corporate Escalations, from my dedicated support executive (Chelsea).
My ticket number is ESL03506299, and the conversation was recorded (thank you Chelsea for informing me).

You can reach Corporate Escalations at +1(844)963-0087, but you need a 7-digit extension to talk to your "personal" support person. Here is what I was told:
WiFi calling is a feature that is supported by phones, not by carriers. Therefore, Xfinity does not include that feature in the services they charge for, nor can they guarantee that it works. As a matter of fact, if you live in an area where you have poor cellular coverage, WiFi calling won't work, but that is a problem with your phone, not us. Since this is not our responsibility, there is no ticket open with engineering, nor do we have the possibility to follow up on such a ticket, because it does not concern cellular services, which is where we offer our services.

Well, at least now we know.... officially!
I protested:
* Check out the Xfinity Mobile Facebook groups and web sites: WiFi calling is claimed as a supported feature.
* The "big" advantage and differentiator touted by Xfinity to compete against others, is the vast network of WiFi hotspots, and how Xfinity could use that network to bypass Cellular service; How do you do that without WiFi calling?
* The raison-d'etre (reason for existence) of WiFi Calling is to enable to make phone calls, when your cellular network is not available (poor connections in rural neighborhoods, or traveling abroad). Since I travel to Europe and Asia on a regular basis, this feature is essential to me, and was "guaranteed" by the employees at the Xfinity Mobile store... How can your employees guarantee a feature that is not guaranteed by corporate policy?

I had a lot more, but I my support person is a human being after all, being let down in a major way by the corporation she works for... I started feeling sorry for her; I told her I was infuriated, but not with her... Xfinity is clearly running a scam here, and all I can do is prevent my friends from switching, and figuring out how to go back to Verizon while not eating the cost of the phones I am still paying for at Xfinity...  Working on that.

This is a case of her not knowing the technology that actually is in her product. Fine they want to blame the phones. I'll play this game. Does she realize that XM has baked in firmware modifications into the phones to support the "Hot Spot Data Feature". To my knowledge no other carrier supports the jumping of cellular to proprietary Hot Spots to keep data rates low. This means someone is creating special software for the phones to tell it to do this. I hardly believe apple, samsung, LG etc are coding this. Especially since you need Comcast proprietary information for accessing the Hot Spots for security. This is also one of the major reasons XM doesn't allow Andorid BYOD since there are so many different phone manufacturers running android and supporting this feature on all the models becomes cumbersome. 

Regular Contributor

@mannytwotwo wrote:
12.3 did not work for me. Had one XS Max phone downstairs and the other upstairs and had several call fails.

Had my first call drop today on 12.3

Back to the same old ...

Given every other carrier has figured out how to get this right, this shouldn't require brain surgery or months/years to fix. 

Let's just be straight about it: XM is nothing more than a resell of low-grade and ultra-cheap service from another provider that Comcast has zero control over. We're a few rungs down from the no-name pay-as-you-go phone/service you get out of a vending machine.

New Poster

Same here, I thought it was my iphone so I reset, restore and still drop the calls. I was thinking to upgrade to a new iphone. Looks like it is Comcast issue.

I have to diable wifi calling...

Contributor

I’ve said before and it’s worth repeating :
Ya get what ya pay for!
Contributor

Or you don’t get what you paid for. I paid and I’m still paying for the cell service with working wifi calling feature. That’s what was promised
New Poster

I know a lot of people are having problems with Wi-Fi calling. Just wanted to report that I have an iPhone 8 and iPhone XS Max and regularly use Wi-Fi calling for almost a year now without issues.
Regular Visitor

You’ve gotten lucky. Mine drops every time. And with limited service at my house, I need WiFi calling to work reliably.
New Poster

I usually have my phone on airplane mode with Wi-Fi turned on. Havent experienced dropped Wi-Fi calls. This thread is pretty big, not much I could think of beyond the standard toggle airplane, restart phone, reset network settings. It usually takes multiple calls to xfinity to resolve something so I can definitely relate to that. Hopefully they’re working on something for this.
Regular Contributor

@j7717 wrote:
I know a lot of people are having problems with Wi-Fi calling. Just wanted to report that I have an iPhone 8 and iPhone XS Max and regularly use Wi-Fi calling for almost a year now without issues.

If you have decent cellular reception, you'll likely never run into this issue.

Also, I've personally experienced the problem to be location dependent. Doesn't happen when I visit family in other parts of the country.

Frequent Visitor

And even with WiFi calling disabled, I still get "call failed."

Or at least I did. I've switched back to Ting.

Frequent Visitor

Well, if we have cellular connectivity, we don’t need WiFi calling... The whole point of WiFi calling is to be able to make and receive calls when your carrier’s network is not available (traveling abroad, poor reception,...).
Xfinity is the only carrier I know of who doesn’t get this to work.

Yet, the ability to run on the network of Xfinity WiFi gateways is what they’re touting as their differentiator. It is false advertising, worthy of a class action lawsuit.
Contributor

They probably aren’t making any guarantees of performance. Always the fine print few people read.

They are continuing to sell devices like the iPhone which seem to have known connectivity issues with their network.
Regular Contributor

@flandraco wrote:
Well, if we have cellular connectivity, we don’t need WiFi calling... The whole point of WiFi calling is to be able to make and receive calls when your carrier’s network is not available (traveling abroad, poor reception,...).
Xfinity is the only carrier I know of who doesn’t get this to work.

Yet, the ability to run on the network of Xfinity WiFi gateways is what they’re touting as their differentiator. It is false advertising, worthy of a class action lawsuit.

What they meant to say is, if you're an Xfinity internet customer, those gateways work great with all the other cellular providers who support reliable WiFi calling.  Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

I can say, I'm thouroughly disgusted with the service of XM when it comes to my iPhones. I've been with Comcast all of my life and this is by far the worst its been when it comes to service.  I expect problems as they are afterall machines. But come on, its been almost a year and a half now and the same problem happens on my iPhones. Dropped calls left and right. My family can't make a call without it dropping in the first 2 seconds of making or receiving a call. Not to mention, my daughter had to make 5 attempts to call me before it held the call and worked as it should.

My Samsung Galaxy 8s Plus works without a hitch, wifi calling cellular calling all works perfectly. But 2 of the iPhones on my account deal with this problem on a everyday basis multiple times a day. If this isn't fixed by the time my last phone is paid off, I'm going elsewhere. 

Not to mention, I recent;y purchased the Quad Play service for being an Xfinity Mobile customer, which I unlocked many new channels, faster internet speeds, and I obtained a free netflix account, which is all fantastic. however, I was suppose to get 1GB of free mobile data and I've yet to get that after 2 months now. So ity seems Comcast needs to get their act together and fix the issues at hand before they lose more and more customers.

New Poster

My family and I are having the same issues, especially at home. Xfinity came and installed a new router. I spoke to an Xfinity Mobile tech, Reset network settings, prioritized our home WiFi SSID...nothing. It has not resolved the issues with call failures.
Contributor

I have to say that our phones are much better after the most recent ios (12.3) update. No dropped calls for over a week. Not sure if I can credit the update since others reported that update didn’t fix their issues. I did not do anything differently, just the update and XM wifi seems to stay on now and never goes to Xfinity mobile.
Regular Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I have to say that our phones are much better after the most recent ios (12.3) update. No dropped calls for over a week. Not sure if I can credit the update since others reported that update didn’t fix their issues. I did not do anything differently, just the update and XM wifi seems to stay on now and never goes to Xfinity mobile.

I also saw improvement with iOS 12.3 in terms of the phone's indecisiveness. I think for some people, this was the only issue they were experiencing, and it may be good news.

Others, like me, are also experiencing XM WiFi intermittently vanishing for a minute or so and dropping calls. Since my WiFi service doesn't drop, it seems like an XM network issue, reflective of the bottom of the barrel service-levels you get when attempting to build a cheap service from another carrier's premium service. Not to rant about it, but that problem still persists.

Regular Visitor

Same issue here.  Dropped calls and no wifi calling and im next to my access point (3 bars). I made 5 calls (Teir 2) and they have no idea what the problem is. They said its an internet issue??  

New Poster

Failed wifi calls started immediately after changing from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile about 30% of the time. Had them install a new SIM card. Percentage of failed calls dropped to maybe 10% but did not fix it. Definitely an Xfinity Mobile issue.
Regular Visitor

We switched from ATT because the service had gotten awful...LTE would go away in areas I frequented and 4G data is ponderous. the problem was once it switched to 4G the iphone X often needed a power cycle to rejoin LTE, same issue with the WiFi calling at my house.  the phone would lose the connect to the WiFi calling and without a power cycle wouldn’t rejoin WiFi calling. initially, I thought there must be a problem with the phone. Apple checked it and assured me the phone wasn’t the problem.

I decided to switch. 

we were just a few days with XM and we're having the same issue with the WiFi calling. and when XM loses its LTE it often can’t even find 4G and reverts back to 3G. I went back to Apple. surely this must be a bad phone....they replaced the phone as a curtesy but explained that not all ATT phones a 100% compatible with version/XM. Something to do with the different networks, CDMA/GSM…blah blah blah. I’m not a cellular technician. Apple says they can only replace the phone with the same version I have but, it will “work” on XM…just not 100% because it lacks the transmitter internally for 100% compatibility. I’m not a happy customer. Why wasn’t I informed about a potential compatibility issue? Additionally, what does this have to do with the WiFi calling issue?? I replaced my router. Added an expensive mesh system to be assured a solid home WiFi coverage. Failed calls happed daily. Not exclusively on WiFi. Often a call to my wife requires several attempts to complete. Conversations on WiFi at my home are routinely interrupted mid conversation with the call failed message…..

it’s completely unacceptable  

Regular Contributor

@Misterhat wrote:

We switched from ATT because the service had gotten awful...LTE would go away in areas I frequented and 4G data is ponderous. the problem was once it switched to 4G the iphone X often needed a power cycle to rejoin LTE, same issue with the WiFi calling at my house.  the phone would lose the connect to the WiFi calling and without a power cycle wouldn’t rejoin WiFi calling. initially, I thought there must be a problem with the phone. Apple checked it and assured me the phone wasn’t the problem.

I decided to switch. 

we were just a few days with XM and we're having the same issue with the WiFi calling. and when XM loses its LTE it often can’t even find 4G and reverts back to 3G. I went back to Apple. surely this must be a bad phone....they replaced the phone as a curtesy but explained that not all ATT phones a 100% compatible with version/XM. Something to do with the different networks, CDMA/GSM…blah blah blah. I’m not a cellular technician. Apple says they can only replace the phone with the same version I have but, it will “work” on XM…just not 100% because it lacks the transmitter internally for 100% compatibility. I’m not a happy customer. Why wasn’t I informed about a potential compatibility issue? Additionally, what does this have to do with the WiFi calling issue?? I replaced my router. Added an expensive mesh system to be assured a solid home WiFi coverage. Failed calls happed daily. Not exclusively on WiFi. Often a call to my wife requires several attempts to complete. Conversations on WiFi at my home are routinely interrupted mid conversation with the call failed message…..

it’s completely unacceptable  

How old are your phones? I haven't really heard of different transmitters inside of iPhones for a while.

Unfortunately, a lot of us came over from flawless service on AT&T, under the guise of cost-saving and synergies with our cable/internet/landline service, so you're not going to be thrilled to hear you have entered a much worse scenario than you started -- a scenario where the only ray of hope is an infrequent appearance by a Comcast rep on this forum telling us to stay tuned.

What's worse is that even though that I feel this is the  worst technology decision I've made in recent memory, it appears no one from XM really cares.

In your case it may be best to narrow down any issues you might be having with your phone and infrastructure, since they seem to be pre-existing. Once you are down to the XM-specific issues, then you'll at least be in the same boat with all of us (if that's of any consolation).

Official Employee

Hi All, 

It has been brought to my attention that iOS version 12.3.1 has been pushed OTA. Please attempt to download this update and post here if the drops persist. 

Thanks, 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Installed some time ago but did not work.
Regular Visitor

Didn’t work for me. Still sporatic. 

Regular Visitor

iPhone X... about 2 years old. I ordered from apple the 1st day it was available. according to the genius bar employee there was a squabble with apple and QUALCOMM and the transmitters were initially not both CDMA and GSM compatible...true? not true? I don’t know.... what I do know is my wife is using the phone and getting call failure's continually. if the wife is upset...than I’m upset

New Poster

Thought this was only happening in my home. I bought the Xfinity pods and have them just about everywhere, they are no help at all. I have to sit in 4 areas of my home to make cellular calls but if I move an inch then my call drops. WTH Xfinity, please don't tell me to buy more pods, they don't work. At $300+ a month for service, I expect everything to work.

Frequent Visitor

After one last ditch attempt to solve my WiFi calling issues with Xfinity, where iOS 12.3.1 didn't resolve the problem, I negotiated an out with Xfinity (I return my phones, and get back what I have paid so far).
I signed up with T-Mobile Magenta Plus Unlimited 55 (unlimited everything for two lines, for $90. No taxes, no fees, nothing on top of that. Netflix included. Unlimited text and data in over 200 countries).

And most importantly: WiFi calling just works! At my home, where I don't have good Cellular coverage, I had multiple conversations (one of them lasting 90 minutes) with no drops, whatsoever. No missed calls with a voicemail popping up after the fact.

I bid this forum goodbye, as my pain is no longer... And I'm really not paying much more, for something that just works...

New Poster

Came to share our sad story. We have 4 Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. Two of them work flawlessly and the other two continuously drop calls and get forwarded to voicemail, even when on the same Wi-fi network. We had many conversation with tier 2 support. Did a SIM change. Nothing helped! Again, all 4 phones are idential. Same manufacturer, model, hardware version etc. Baffling at best. We also tried reset/wipe the entire phone, resetting network setting etc. Clearly it's some sort of provisioning issue on xfinity end.

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All, 

It has been brought to my attention that iOS version 12.3.1 has been pushed OTA. Please attempt to download this update and post here if the drops persist. 

Thanks, 

Ken

My phone has been much better behaved since iOS 12.3.1

For starters, I no longer have to use airplane mode in my home, as the phone no longer unexpectedly switches to LTE when it should be locked into WiFi.

So far, I've only experienced a single call drop when I was on a 4-way call I originated, but not sure if I was pushing other bounds in that case. Aside from that, calls have been working.

It may take several more days to reach a verdict since the failures tend to be sporadic and sometimes spectacular. I'll have my wife re-enable WiFi calling to get another data point (she gave up a while ago).

I also noticed new carrier setting were pushed to my phone today. Might these be related to this problem?

Frequent Visitor

I got a new carrier update 3 days ago and have not had a call fail on wifi or the cell network since.

Going to Settings, General, and About prompted the upgrade to 36.1 for me.

Frequent Visitor

Carrier update did not work for
my two XS Max iPhones. Tomorrow I will be a new Verizon customer. Good luck to everyone.
Regular Visitor

Switching back to Verizon as we speak myself.

Can’t handle the complete disregard for customers and the product they sell us.
Frequent Visitor

I forgot to mention that when I requested the 6 digit code needed to port the number I learned that if you are financing any phones with Xfinity you can keep paying the monthly payments as long as you have another Xfinity service active with them. Saved me from paying them off before switching. I thought I read things wrong so I called in and confirmed. Sad thing is they did not even make an effort to keep me as a customer on their mobile division. Just said sorry and goodbye.
Contributor

Our phones are definitely more stable after the recent updates however some issues still persist. Sometimes for no reason WIFI calling will disappear and switches back to cellular. At least now turning airplane mode on and off fixes it right away and XM WIFI is back on. Still, should not disappear! And no it is not my WIFI. If I don’t notice it, I cannot be reached. So I find myself always checking my phone to make sure wifi calling is still on.
Another issue -this one I have seen before but now happens more frequently, when I leave the house it will not display a carrier name. It just shows cellular bars but no name. Minor glitch considering everything is working fine while this happens, and again after turning airplane mode on and off fixes the issue.
Some improvements but still far from what it should be.
C39B4671-4646-4FFB-835F-23C32E060C8F.jpeg
New Poster

I have been having the same problems also since switching from ATT to Xfinity. I have even bought a new phone from xfinity and the problem still happens. I can be in my office with poor cell coverage and a text message will fail to go through until I turn off wifi and then the message gets sent! It is definetly an issue with how xfinity switches between wifi and cellular. Wifi signal is never a problem but the phone doesn't know how to use it when available. WiFi assist is turned off.

Xfinity needs to take ownership of this issue and get it fixed. I believe it is a much bigger problem then they think!

Regular Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
Our phones are definitely more stable after the recent updates however some issues still persist. Sometimes for no reason WIFI calling will disappear and switches back to cellular. At least now turning airplane mode on and off fixes it right away and XM WIFI is back on. Still, should not disappear! And no it is not my WIFI. If I don’t notice it, I cannot be reached. So I find myself always checking my phone to make sure wifi calling is still on.
Another issue -this one I have seen before but now happens more frequently, when I leave the house it will not display a carrier name. It just shows cellular bars but no name. Minor glitch considering everything is working fine while this happens, and again after turning airplane mode on and off fixes the issue.
Some improvements but still far from what it should be.

I think the WiFi calling disappearing is more a function of the network rather than the phone. Even when I was locked into airplane mode, the WiFi calling would drop intermittently.

If anything, the latest changes on the phone have made the phone less indecisive and more apt to stick to the WiFi. I see no need to go into airplane mode at home anymore, so that's an improvement.

But XM's WiFi calling network is still the 3rd class experience you would expect from feasting on the droppings of another provider. It becomes obvious when you notice facetime audio is far more reliable!

Contributor

I switched to Sprint over a month ago.
Their Kickstarter plan is $25.00 per line unlimited.
Works perfectly.
Contributor

I have to wonder if the seeming improvements after the update from Apple will give XM what they need to solve the rest of this on their end.

Contributor

If anything it’ll give them a reason to keep doing nothing about it
Frequent Visitor

Maybe a fix soon? The last update (5/11/19) to the Xfinity Mobile app stated “We did some behind-the scenes work to prepare for some exciting things coming soon!”

Regular Contributor

@authenticpaul wrote:
I switched to Sprint over a month ago.
Their Kickstarter plan is $25.00 per line unlimited.
Works perfectly.

Well, I'm jealous becase I'm paying $45 per  line and having to go through contortions to get a call to work from home.

12.3.1 PROBLEM NOT FIXED!!! Continuing to experience intermittent drops. Went back to airplane mode at home today but still had a business-critical call drop in the middle of an important 1-1 discussion. Frustrating!

Yesterday I had a call flip over from WiFi to 1 bar of cellular service mid-call. So I'm back to using airplane mode which still doesn't prevent drops.

This Xfinity Mobile service  is most suitable for a teenager trying hard to keep all data off of cellular and paying nothing outside of the cable bill. 

@authenticpaul Thanks for the tip on Sprint!

Contributor

The Sprint Kickstarter plan is not widely advertised.
You may have to call or go to a Sprint store to get it.