Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Contributor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

@bwestfall85 wrote:

I know this should be unneccesary however could the APN settings be messing this up? I know when i got my pixel and took it to tmobile i could not get MMS on wifi the only way it would load is by hoping off wifi  onto the network until i updated some APN settings. Could this come into play on why the wifi calling is not working? 

What APN settings did you change? I can't think of much beyond the name and whether or not it is broadcasting the APN.

New Poster

I wish I had seen this problem before switching. Too bad. Time to switch back to Verizon.
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem with my Iphone 7+.  The phone would not connect to "XM WIFI"  even though I was on my strong home network.

I went into my WIFI settings, into the Xfinity networks, and unchecked "connect automatically" That immediatly switched my phone over to wifi calling.

At home, the Xfinity hotspots are all very weak.

New Poster

@ComcastKenF 

I have tried calling xfinity multiple times to get this issue fixed and I keep getting call failed after 15 minutes of talking to someone.

I have an Iphone 7 and have poor reception at my home so I primarily use my wireless for calling. Every time I recieve a phone call, I go to answer, I get Call Failed and I have to call the person back. I have reset my network settings multiple times. Can someone from Tier 2 call me directly to work on this or is there a direct number I can call (besides Tier 1)? Every time I get trasferred to Tier 2 I get disconnected, then the rep calls me back it says call failed. Its a never ending loop. Thanks.

Contributor

Don’t waste your time. Many of us have called multiple times talked to all tiers and no one knows what the fix is or cares about it. There is no solution from xfinity! They don’t give 2💩 s about their customers
Frequent Visitor

Problem Solved!
Switched to Sprint!😁
New Poster

Switched from Verizon to XFinity Mobile in FEB 2019.  I work at CSU.  Same Phone, Same network hardware, same everything.  10 to 20 call failures per day now.  On verizon calls only failed if I moved and it needed to switch from WIFI to cellular or back.  Phone will try to switch from WIFI calling to cellular after I dial and before it rings to the destination, and call failure.  Or while it is receiving an incoming call, when I answer it, it switches, and call failure.  Sometimes it seems to take a few minutes for it to sort out whether it wants to use WIFI and cellular.  It's a HUGE problem, and judging from the threads, it's been going on for quite some time with no resolution.  I'm very tech savy, willing to work with XFinity to solve this

Frequent Visitor

Good luck with that.
Contributor

Good luck is right. You will not get anybody working on any of this.
Contributor

Ha! I got an online satisfaction survey from Xfinity Mobile yesterday.

I wonder if anyone will bother to inquire about all the '0' scores...

New Poster

I know tmobile has provided APN settings for phones that come over to work properly on their Network. I don't think I can post links however I had an issue with MMS when on wifi using my pixel. After updating a couple settings in the APN it worked fine. I changed the APN protocol to IPV6/IPV4 or just IPV4 for MMS/group messages to function correctly along with a couple more tweaks from what another forum member gave me. Just didn't know if this would correlate with the problem.
Contributor

For some reason I can't seem to access any APN settings on my iPhone. However, I did see something under Settings->Cellular that piqued my curiosity. If you scroll way down you should see Wi-Fi Assist. Something to do with diverting to cellular for data when the WiFi signal weakens.

Mine is on, by deafult I think. Has anyone tried turning this off?

Contributor

Yes. Mine is always off.
Official Employee

Hi All. I understand your frustrations here and I appreciate you all taking the time to post your experiences. The XFINITY Mobile team is aware of the issues with WiFi calling. They are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA yet, but I'll let this thread know once I hear from engineering. 

Thanks, 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks  @ComcastKenF !!!

Frequent Visitor

Guys- I FINALLY found a solution.  It took me a few years as well as a ticket that has been open since March of 2018, with escalations up to corporate within Comcast, but finally found a solution!!

Switched to AT&T!  

Wish I could continue the fight with you guys, but I had finally paid off my phone and my patience ran out.  

Contributor

Hehehhe finally fix that really works. Thank you. We can lable the thread as solved Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All. I understand your frustrations here and I appreciate you all taking the time to post your experiences. The XFINITY Mobile team is aware of the issues with WiFi calling. They are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA yet, but I'll let this thread know once I hear from engineering. 

Thanks, 

Ken

THANK YOU COMCAST KEN!!!  It means a lot to have some sort of acknowledgement! 

Frequent Visitor

Same old stuff.
I believe “Comcast Ella” made much the same statement many months ago.
The robot must be set to make an automated statement every few months.
Official Employee

Same old stuff.
I believe “Comcast Ella” made much the same statement many months ago.
The robot must be set to make an automated statement every few months.

authenticpaul, we are real people working at the Corporate office. I understand your frustrations and as soon as I know something, I'll let the thread know. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Since there's no official Xfinity XM FAQ on this. Here are a few ways to mitigate the issue, none of which you'll find terribly satisfying:

1) Switch to Android phones. No one on Android has this issue, apparently. Plus, used iPhones tend to command reasonable prices on eBay

2) Put your phone into airplane mode and wait until XM WiFi shows up at the top. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the phone to adjust. When in airplane mode, some folks have reported flawless service, while others (like me) have reported a far lower rate of drops.

Now don't forget to exit out of airplane mode when leaving the house -- I say that because invariably you will forget and you'll miss a few calls on the road, which isn't quite as bad as your friends and callers wondering what the heck is wrong with you and your persistent dropped calls.

When you get out of airplane mode, sometimes calls will drop initially and some people suggest flipping the cellular service off and on or some such protocol (better look at older threads)

3)  Move somewhere where there's less contention for the network. You can't seriously expect an off-price service to give you priority on the network. But if you move to one of the least populous states in the US -- try remote regions of Wyoming for instance, where cattle solidly outnumber people -- I believe there will be very little contention for the cellular network and you may not see any issues at all

4) Shut off WiFi calling altogether. That fixes the problem but also makes you a bit unreachable unless you can forward to your landline, which you'll invariably forget to unforward -- then all calls forward to your home VM, which you probably stopped checking years ago. While some may argue there are health benefits to "unplugging," you may want to consider some of the drawbacks (i.e. loss of job).

Like I said, none of the ways are terribly satisfying, but hope it helps.

While we are waiting for a fix, I thought I'd add one more tidbit to my list

5) When call drops get really bad. Sometimes when I go into airplane mode or out of airplane mode, the phone reports it has service but every call gets dropped, incoming and outgoing. It's almost as if the phone really doesn't have service, in spite of what it is reporting. Originally, I was resetting the phone, but I find toggling airplane mode again typically gets the phone back in workable state (i.e. back to only intermittent drops).

New Poster

It’s been a long time with no acknowledgement. The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging you have one, lol. I have referred many people to Xfinity from Verizon and had occasional regret due to this issue. I look forward to a solution...hopefully very soon as it’s long overdue.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF you yourself became aware of this issue over a year ago if you look at your response on page 1 of this thread. What has been achieved since then? Have engineers been working on this for a year with no result? That doesn't make sense. Or at the least gives us no confidence in their capabilities if in fact they have been working on this issue for so long.

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF you yourself became aware of this issue over a year ago if you look at your response on page 1 of this thread. What has been achieved since then? Have engineers been working on this for a year with no result? That doesn't make sense. Or at the least gives us no confidence in their capabilities if in fact they have been working on this issue for so long.

chrisso, correct--and at the time, I created tickets to bring awareness to XFINITY Mobile support about the issue. Now we are awaiting a fix. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Now there’s some useless information!
Contributor

Just like my phone on xfinity plan. Useless.
Contributor

And we all should be awaiting credit on our bills!
Contributor

Yup I had similar issues and I couldn’t reach my wife. Her phone was not ringing! It’s BS!
New Poster

It is amazing that after a year of working on a fix, that it is still not fixed. This is something that other carriers have working with great reliability, but xfinity can’t figure it out after a year?

Come on! Just be honest and tell us it is not a priority to fix and to not hold our breath.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF, Thank you for the acknowledgement that we have an issue here.  This is long overdue, but I do appreciate it.  Like other folks here on the board, I think there is good reason for concern as this issue has been going on for over a year now without resolution.  This is by far the most active forum on the support site and it is clear there is a problem.

I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit more on what Comcast is doing to solve the problem?  What are the engineers doing?  Are you latched up with Verizon and Apple to try and identify the issue?  I have also been sending dropped call logs to ComcastElla for months now and there is no evidence that this is doing anything.  We would all appreciate any further information about what Comcast is actually doing to resolve the issue.  Thanks!

Official Employee

Jbiedlin, thanks for providing details of your experience. 

The XFINITY Mobile support team would be a better source to answer questions about what is actually being done to resolve this issue. The XM section of the forums here is more of an educational base and we relay as much as we can with any info we are given from XFINITY Mobile support. I am awaiting details from the team. In the meantime, I encourage folks here to reach out to XFINITY Mobile regarding this issue (I know you all have done so a million times already, trust me I know), but that is the best place for support on this issue at this time. 

Ken

Contributor

What are you talking about? What support can they offer? Are they doing something new?? Every time I called they had no clue what I am talking about. I do not have any more time to waste on those calls. It takes forever!!! Why would I call again if there is no solution?
Frequent Visitor

Perfect solution now available!!!
Switch carriers!
Contributor

As I am trying to rech my wife. 3 dropped calls!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!
Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same boat as everyone here. Frustrated beyond belief with Xfinity.  I have an iPhone 8 Plus and have to reboot (yes reboot) my phone every time I leave the house to ensure it switches over to Xfinity Mobile from XM Wifi.  I brought my phone over from my previous carrier, T-Mobile - thinking of switching back.  

Frequent Visitor

Save yourself lots of grief.
Switch back now!😁
Contributor

Ken! I ssked 4 questions regarding your post. As always no answers. What is it with you guys? What do they tell you during training? Ignore ignore ignore. Deny deny deny. Is that is? This is ridiculous
New Poster

Also found the solution finally. Switching back to ATT.
Regular Visitor

Ouch! ..... wish I had found this forum before I switched!!!!

Anyhow, I had told a bunch of friends what a good deal it was. Now I have to comtact them, apologize and let them know how bad the service is. 

By the way, when I had this problem elevated to Tier 2 they made it seem like the problem was new and unique to me and finally said they would send out new SIM cards and that would solve the problem. Based on what I’ve read on this forum Xfinity has known about this problem for a long time, but is still selling the service <Edited: "Inflammatory">.  I guess they figure they will get a few more payments out of us before we get fed up and switch to another carrier. <Edited: "Inflammatory">

Frequent Visitor

Yes they seem to know about it and continue to sell the iPhone.
Contributor

Illegal. Simple as that.
Broken brand promise
Frequent Visitor

I have called the hotline numerous times and every single person I spoke with denied knowing of this issue or would acknoledged it is an XM issue. You always get the usual run around; reset network settings, router is the problem or there is a Verizon network outage. And lastly they will offer to send a new SIM so that they can get you off the call and buy time as you wait for it to arrive. It is rediculous. 

It is 100% certain that XM corporate knows about this issue but has either withheld this information from the call center staff or instructed them to deny the issue. 

Regular Visitor

So I’ve basically been without cellular for over a week, and I’ve been trying to work with XM. Resets, SIM cards, etc. etc.. So last night (after going to the Xfinity store during the day) I called Tier 2 ..... again, and I talked to a very nice lady.  After going through the whole explanation for about the one millionth time and going down her list of possible fixes (that have been tried)  she senses my frustration and offers to have Tier 3 call. “Tier 3” I wonder out loud, “What’s that?” .... technical support she explains. After a week of banging my head against the wall, XM is just now going to let me talk to technical support!?!? 

Monty Python could not have written a better script. This is the stuff SNL is made for. Used car lots offer quicker technical service.  All I could do is laugh 😂.

Frequent Visitor

I’m curious as to how any given state agency’s consumer affairs department would view this situation.
Frequent Visitor

Great question, would be interested in doing this.  

Frequent Visitor

I have just tweeted on this subject to their Twitter account.  Let's see what response I get - probably a canned "please call customer support".

Will be switching to ATT most probably after this, not sure Verizon is the way to go either as Xfinity owns them now.

Regular Visitor

I sent a note to Kelly Wilkinson via the BBB site.  

Kerry Wilkinson:  Sr. Director - Xfinity Mobile Customer Care Operations

Jason Brewer:  Vice President - Xfinity Mobile Customer Service Operations

Kathy Kirchner:  Senior Vice President - Xfinity Mobile Care and Operations

Dear Ms. Wilkinson, Ms. Kirchner, and Mr. Brewer, 

I'm writing to you today asking for your help.  It seems that a good number of your mobile customers are unhappy with one major aspect of their mobile experience, and because there hasn't been any resolution or even acknowledgement of the issue for over a year your mobile customers are leaving.  And this is occurring despite a constant stream of questions, comments and complaints to technical support teams and posts to the support forum  <link to forum> labeled "Mobile > WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues."

The issue lays with the WiFi mobile calling feature.  Please take a look at the forum for this discussion and notice that it contains significantly more comments (and complaints) than any other community forum with over 19,000 views!  Perhaps you will find this as disturbing and alarming as many of us feel, and assign a team to find the root cause, communicate with your customers the pathway to resolution, and quite possibly prevent an exodus of subscribers.  

Fee free to reach out via email, text or phone call.  I would be happy to discuss this issue any time. 

Sincerely, 
<name omitted>

Regular Visitor

After a week (plus) of basically being without cellular in my home and not being one iota closer to resolving the problem with Xfinity Mobile, I have thrown in the towel and switched back to Consumer Cellular. Thanks to the good folks who participate in this thread for all you have written, it helped me to understand what the problem was and the futility of my efforts in trying to work with Xfinity Mobile to get my phones to work. I wish you and XM all the best and sincerely do hope they come up with a fix for their otherwise fine system.

New Poster

@ComcastKenF  what does xfinity mobile team say top you guys? I just called and was told this is a new issue and they never hear of it before? Seriously?

Are you telling anyone? I know comcast and i know the bureaucracy there first hand but i know things can be escalated.

5 more phone about to leave your service, as well as 15-20 others we have through the fire service.  At least ATT responded in less then a year to fix problems.  

THis has been going on over a year!

Frequent Visitor

I don't think they care.  I tweeted to their twitter account and received - nothing.  Zip.  Nada.  Guess its not important to them.  And by them, I mean Comcast management, customer service, and sales.