Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Regular Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

I had the same problem with my Iphone 7+.  The phone would not connect to "XM WIFI"  even though I was on my strong home network.

I went into my WIFI settings, into the Xfinity networks, and unchecked "connect automatically" That immediatly switched my phone over to wifi calling.

At home, the Xfinity hotspots are all very weak.

New Poster

@ComcastKenF 

I have tried calling xfinity multiple times to get this issue fixed and I keep getting call failed after 15 minutes of talking to someone.

I have an Iphone 7 and have poor reception at my home so I primarily use my wireless for calling. Every time I recieve a phone call, I go to answer, I get Call Failed and I have to call the person back. I have reset my network settings multiple times. Can someone from Tier 2 call me directly to work on this or is there a direct number I can call (besides Tier 1)? Every time I get trasferred to Tier 2 I get disconnected, then the rep calls me back it says call failed. Its a never ending loop. Thanks.

Contributor

Problem Solved!
Switched to Sprint!😁
New Poster

Switched from Verizon to XFinity Mobile in FEB 2019.  I work at CSU.  Same Phone, Same network hardware, same everything.  10 to 20 call failures per day now.  On verizon calls only failed if I moved and it needed to switch from WIFI to cellular or back.  Phone will try to switch from WIFI calling to cellular after I dial and before it rings to the destination, and call failure.  Or while it is receiving an incoming call, when I answer it, it switches, and call failure.  Sometimes it seems to take a few minutes for it to sort out whether it wants to use WIFI and cellular.  It's a HUGE problem, and judging from the threads, it's been going on for quite some time with no resolution.  I'm very tech savy, willing to work with XFinity to solve this

Contributor

Good luck with that.
Contributor

Good luck is right. You will not get anybody working on any of this.
Regular Contributor

Ha! I got an online satisfaction survey from Xfinity Mobile yesterday.

I wonder if anyone will bother to inquire about all the '0' scores...

New Poster

I know tmobile has provided APN settings for phones that come over to work properly on their Network. I don't think I can post links however I had an issue with MMS when on wifi using my pixel. After updating a couple settings in the APN it worked fine. I changed the APN protocol to IPV6/IPV4 or just IPV4 for MMS/group messages to function correctly along with a couple more tweaks from what another forum member gave me. Just didn't know if this would correlate with the problem.
Contributor

For some reason I can't seem to access any APN settings on my iPhone. However, I did see something under Settings->Cellular that piqued my curiosity. If you scroll way down you should see Wi-Fi Assist. Something to do with diverting to cellular for data when the WiFi signal weakens.

Mine is on, by deafult I think. Has anyone tried turning this off?

Contributor

Yes. Mine is always off.
Official Employee

Hi All. I understand your frustrations here and I appreciate you all taking the time to post your experiences. The XFINITY Mobile team is aware of the issues with WiFi calling. They are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA yet, but I'll let this thread know once I hear from engineering. 

Thanks, 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks  @ComcastKenF !!!

Frequent Visitor

Guys- I FINALLY found a solution.  It took me a few years as well as a ticket that has been open since March of 2018, with escalations up to corporate within Comcast, but finally found a solution!!

Switched to AT&T!  

Wish I could continue the fight with you guys, but I had finally paid off my phone and my patience ran out.  

Contributor

Hehehhe finally fix that really works. Thank you. We can lable the thread as solved Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All. I understand your frustrations here and I appreciate you all taking the time to post your experiences. The XFINITY Mobile team is aware of the issues with WiFi calling. They are working on a fix. I don't have an ETA yet, but I'll let this thread know once I hear from engineering. 

Thanks, 

Ken

THANK YOU COMCAST KEN!!!  It means a lot to have some sort of acknowledgement! 

Contributor

Same old stuff.
I believe “Comcast Ella” made much the same statement many months ago.
The robot must be set to make an automated statement every few months.
Official Employee

Same old stuff.
I believe “Comcast Ella” made much the same statement many months ago.
The robot must be set to make an automated statement every few months.

authenticpaul, we are real people working at the Corporate office. I understand your frustrations and as soon as I know something, I'll let the thread know. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Since there's no official Xfinity XM FAQ on this. Here are a few ways to mitigate the issue, none of which you'll find terribly satisfying:

1) Switch to Android phones. No one on Android has this issue, apparently. Plus, used iPhones tend to command reasonable prices on eBay

2) Put your phone into airplane mode and wait until XM WiFi shows up at the top. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the phone to adjust. When in airplane mode, some folks have reported flawless service, while others (like me) have reported a far lower rate of drops.

Now don't forget to exit out of airplane mode when leaving the house -- I say that because invariably you will forget and you'll miss a few calls on the road, which isn't quite as bad as your friends and callers wondering what the heck is wrong with you and your persistent dropped calls.

When you get out of airplane mode, sometimes calls will drop initially and some people suggest flipping the cellular service off and on or some such protocol (better look at older threads)

3)  Move somewhere where there's less contention for the network. You can't seriously expect an off-price service to give you priority on the network. But if you move to one of the least populous states in the US -- try remote regions of Wyoming for instance, where cattle solidly outnumber people -- I believe there will be very little contention for the cellular network and you may not see any issues at all

4) Shut off WiFi calling altogether. That fixes the problem but also makes you a bit unreachable unless you can forward to your landline, which you'll invariably forget to unforward -- then all calls forward to your home VM, which you probably stopped checking years ago. While some may argue there are health benefits to "unplugging," you may want to consider some of the drawbacks (i.e. loss of job).

Like I said, none of the ways are terribly satisfying, but hope it helps.

While we are waiting for a fix, I thought I'd add one more tidbit to my list

5) When call drops get really bad. Sometimes when I go into airplane mode or out of airplane mode, the phone reports it has service but every call gets dropped, incoming and outgoing. It's almost as if the phone really doesn't have service, in spite of what it is reporting. Originally, I was resetting the phone, but I find toggling airplane mode again typically gets the phone back in workable state (i.e. back to only intermittent drops).

New Poster

It’s been a long time with no acknowledgement. The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging you have one, lol. I have referred many people to Xfinity from Verizon and had occasional regret due to this issue. I look forward to a solution...hopefully very soon as it’s long overdue.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF you yourself became aware of this issue over a year ago if you look at your response on page 1 of this thread. What has been achieved since then? Have engineers been working on this for a year with no result? That doesn't make sense. Or at the least gives us no confidence in their capabilities if in fact they have been working on this issue for so long.

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF you yourself became aware of this issue over a year ago if you look at your response on page 1 of this thread. What has been achieved since then? Have engineers been working on this for a year with no result? That doesn't make sense. Or at the least gives us no confidence in their capabilities if in fact they have been working on this issue for so long.

chrisso, correct--and at the time, I created tickets to bring awareness to XFINITY Mobile support about the issue. Now we are awaiting a fix. 

Ken

Contributor

Now there’s some useless information!
Contributor

Just like my phone on xfinity plan. Useless.
Contributor

And we all should be awaiting credit on our bills!
Contributor

Yup I had similar issues and I couldn’t reach my wife. Her phone was not ringing! It’s BS!
Regular Visitor

It is amazing that after a year of working on a fix, that it is still not fixed. This is something that other carriers have working with great reliability, but xfinity can’t figure it out after a year?

Come on! Just be honest and tell us it is not a priority to fix and to not hold our breath.

Contributor

@ComcastKenF, Thank you for the acknowledgement that we have an issue here.  This is long overdue, but I do appreciate it.  Like other folks here on the board, I think there is good reason for concern as this issue has been going on for over a year now without resolution.  This is by far the most active forum on the support site and it is clear there is a problem.

I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit more on what Comcast is doing to solve the problem?  What are the engineers doing?  Are you latched up with Verizon and Apple to try and identify the issue?  I have also been sending dropped call logs to ComcastElla for months now and there is no evidence that this is doing anything.  We would all appreciate any further information about what Comcast is actually doing to resolve the issue.  Thanks!

Official Employee

Jbiedlin, thanks for providing details of your experience. 

The XFINITY Mobile support team would be a better source to answer questions about what is actually being done to resolve this issue. The XM section of the forums here is more of an educational base and we relay as much as we can with any info we are given from XFINITY Mobile support. I am awaiting details from the team. In the meantime, I encourage folks here to reach out to XFINITY Mobile regarding this issue (I know you all have done so a million times already, trust me I know), but that is the best place for support on this issue at this time. 

Ken

Contributor

What are you talking about? What support can they offer? Are they doing something new?? Every time I called they had no clue what I am talking about. I do not have any more time to waste on those calls. It takes forever!!! Why would I call again if there is no solution?
Contributor

Perfect solution now available!!!
Switch carriers!
Contributor

As I am trying to rech my wife. 3 dropped calls!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!!
Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same boat as everyone here. Frustrated beyond belief with Xfinity.  I have an iPhone 8 Plus and have to reboot (yes reboot) my phone every time I leave the house to ensure it switches over to Xfinity Mobile from XM Wifi.  I brought my phone over from my previous carrier, T-Mobile - thinking of switching back.  

Contributor

Save yourself lots of grief.
Switch back now!😁
Regular Visitor

@ComcastKenF  what does xfinity mobile team say top you guys? I just called and was told this is a new issue and they never hear of it before? Seriously?

Are you telling anyone? I know comcast and i know the bureaucracy there first hand but i know things can be escalated.

5 more phone about to leave your service, as well as 15-20 others we have through the fire service.  At least ATT responded in less then a year to fix problems.  

THis has been going on over a year!

Frequent Visitor

I don't think they care.  I tweeted to their twitter account and received - nothing.  Zip.  Nada.  Guess its not important to them.  And by them, I mean Comcast management, customer service, and sales.

Contributor

Oh no my friend you’re wrong. Sales do care. They sell very well. After that they could not care less. Just like used cars. Pathetic pathetic
Frequent Visitor

You may be right.  BTW I also tweeted to the parent twitter account called (don't laugh) : Comcast Cares.  No response.

New Poster

Just adding my voice to the endless list here. Switched from AT&T a couple months ago, and used wifi calling from home with them for many many years no problem. 

Now with Xfinity I'm lucky if 1/10 calls doesn't end in call failure when trying to use wifi calling from home. I have a similar issue with text messages not going through but that's another thread all together. 

I'm giving this one more month and I'm going back to AT&T this is ridiculous.

New Poster

I have the problem of my calls failing very frequently.  I just looked and my wifi assist was already turned off.  I would love to have some more help in solving this problem.  It only happened when I switched from AT&T.  Thank you!

Contributor

The most effective solution is to switch back to your previous provider.
Contributor

If you have an iPhone the latest iOS update 12.3 notes say it fixes an issue that can cause WiFi calls to drop.
Regular Visitor

% chance that the update resolvers our issue.....<5%.
Hope I’m wrong
Frequent Visitor

I am starting to doubt the "Official Replies" on this forum as well.

I sent an Email to the CEO of Comcast, and low and behold, I got a phone call and an Email back from "Corporate Services". I'm glad to share the ticket number with this forum:

ESL03508536. They even assign a "personal" support person to see this through...

They went as far as sending a technician to my house, who measured everything out, WiFi, Cellular (or lack there of, which is why I NEED WiFi calling)...
It was really fun when he tried to call his supervisor with WiFi calling, and kept dropping the call...

We were able to consistently reproduce the problem, and when talking to the supervisor over my landline, we were notified that I'm not the only one in the county with this problem).

Anyway, the problem is real, and the technician had no idea how to fix it.
Which lead me to push my "personal" support person to inquire with the corporate engineering team, to get a status on the fix.

Today I was informed that there is NO corporate ticket, and Xfinity Mobile engineering "knows" that it is a matter of people having the wrong settings on their phone.... 

I am beyond infuriated!!!!

I forwarded the link to this forum to my "personal" support, and insisted that she had a look at this, and begged for her to explain the "Comcast Employees" on this forum, telling us that a fix is in the works...

I don't know how to get Xfinity's attention, at this point... 

Comcast!!!! WiFi calling is NOT working!!!
Whatever algorithm you put in the profile to enable WiFi calling, is STILL jumping on the Cellular network (even if WiFi Assist is OFF), and then dropping the call. The engineer responsible for this algorithm needs to find the bug, and respect the setting "WiFi Calling ON, WiFi Assist OFF" and leave the cellular connection off...
And by the way: If I turn ON Airplane mode (yep, the Airplane icon shows up), followed by turning ON WiFi (yep, that icon shows up as well, see picture below), I expect WiFi Calling to work (I'm getting "no network connection", yet my internet browsers have no issue browsing the net)....
This is basic engineering debugging, and fixing. You can come to my house to have a reproducable test environment, and if you give me the source code of your algorithm I'll write the freaking fix myself!!!!

IMG_6090.PNG
Regular Contributor

@Spikeball wrote:
Hope I’m wrong

Sadly, that 5% chance is better than anything I've heard the past several months.

I loaded 12.3 and tried a few outgoing calls without airplane mode tonight and the signal indicator didn't flicker as usual and stayed on WiFi.

Expect it will take several days to tell if this really fixed anything...

Contributor

Received in mail today - an Xfinity Mobile Savings offer touting the benefits and big savings available for switching and buying an eligible phone. WOW, instead of investing time and resources in marketing and trying to grab additional unaware customers, why not address the more than year long problem?

Comcast staff have lied (feigning ignorance that problem exists) and ignored (no response to posts for long periods and then the same condescending tripe) this issue and still market their service.

This won't be fixed, they are still making money and roping in new customers. They DO NOT CARE. 

Frequent Visitor

Switched to att a few weeks ago, problem solved. The breaking point for me was when I explained that the call failed while driving on a highway, 150 miles from home, with WiFi AND WiFi calling disabled. They asked me if I tried different router settings...at home!!!
Contributor

Well at least I received a $10 Amazon gift card after completing their survey telling them about their poor cell service.
Frequent Visitor

1. I am floored... I just got an Email message that my case has been “closed as resolved”.
    They are claiming that they have been troubleshooting my WiFi while on the phone with me, and that my signal was too poor to support WiFi calling.

I did not have ANY such conversation. They *did* send out a technician, who measured my WiFi and my cable signal, and concluded that it was flawless... No issues whatsoever with my gateway, my signal (my phone actually has line-of-sight with the gateway, about 5 feet away).
    The technician experienced the dropped calls, and had no clue how this is happening. But a “poor WiFi signal” ain’t the cause!

I am back at square zero... I hope they recorded that troubleshooting session, I sure would like to hear me on that tape.

Regular Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

@Spikeball wrote:
Hope I’m wrong

Sadly, that 5% chance is better than anything I've heard the past several months.

I loaded 12.3 and tried a few outgoing calls without airplane mode tonight and the signal indicator didn't flicker as usual and stayed on WiFi.

Expect it will take several days to tell if this really fixed anything...

OK, so with iOS 12.3, made and received a few WiFi calls today, no airplane mode -- no drops.

Too early to get excited (could be pure luck).

Anyone else try with iOS 12.3?

Frequent Visitor

12.3 did not work for me. Had one XS Max phone downstairs and the other upstairs and had several call fails.