Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

I also upgraded to 13.2.3 today and so far I’m about 6/6 on incoming calls working fine. Too soon to tell but I’m not holding my breath.
Frequent Visitor

As our we all!
Frequent Visitor

Calls failing this morning on latest iOS.
Contributor

Day 2 of testing - so far so good. Made an inbound call and it worked. Dropped a call last night, but that is because my phone decided it had no signal - expected drop even if it shouldn't have happened (should have been on XM Wi-Fi) - still this is an improvement.

Regular Contributor

That’s the whole point. It doesn’t stay on XM WIFI when it should.
Contributor

Agree - and it has been better, however if I have 2 bars of service (that's new) I switch off of XM WiFi. I think it is trying to be 'smart' about using it, which seems dumb - if I have WiFi use WiFi, regardless of cell coverage. However, I've definitely been working better today.

Frequent Visitor

While it seems like it’s working better, I also don’t see XM WiFi anymore. So it’s probably using cell regardless?

Either way, I am glad we are diagnosing xfinity/apples problem for them.
New Poster

I too have the same issue with wifi call dropping every time, even when I'm within a few feet of my router.  My calls are dropped within about 1 or 2 minutes of connecting.   I've turned off wifi calling feature for now until this is resolved.

Contributor

Well. While it was better for a time, it would seem we're back to where we started. Incoming and outgoing callos fail, XM WiFi is ... spotty at best.

It seems better, but is still pretty terrible.

And while I've also not had terrible speeds, we were out and about in NH amd went for dinner. We had COMBINED 0.03 Mbs/sec in the restaurant. That um, is bad. To say the least. It may have been isolated thougyh to just that place, <Edited>

New Poster

Is there a solution for this? We need the WiFi calling for work!!
Thanks
Regular Contributor

Yes there is. Switching carriers is still the only thing that works. Xfinity does not care about fixing this. My guess is they never will. They never even admitted that this is their problem
New Poster

Crazy! It worked fine at our old house but not here. Same phones. Am I missing something? Isn’t it supposed to be using WI-FI?
Regular Contributor

I’ve tried everything and every level of Xfinity support. Different wifi networks, results the same. WIFI calling not usable. 1 year later nothing changed for me.
Contributor

@Gracieroo wrote:
Crazy! It worked fine at our old house but not here. Same phones. Am I missing something? Isn’t it supposed to be using WI-FI?

Did your old house have a stronger signal? Seems the problem happens at places where the signal is relatively weak.

Regular Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I’ve tried everything and every level of Xfinity support. Different wifi networks, results the same. WIFI calling not usable. 1 year later nothing changed for me.

Opposite experience here - I have to use WiFi calling in my home often, same as I did with Verizon - because that's the lowest cell signal I get anywhere.  If I don't have it enabled I will often have poor call quality or drops - and if I am in the basement, no calls without WiFi.  WiFi calling is clear and solid - don't think I have had any dropped calls with it at home.

My biggest issue, and I don't know if it is an iOS13 /iPhone 11 issue or an Xfinity issue, is that with WiFi calling, I don't get any voicemail sent to my phone, so I have to remember to turn it off to get voicemail to sync up with the phone.  That was never a problem with Verizon/iOS12/iPhone XS.  That's the problem with changing so many things at once - hard to know where the problem is.

iPhone 11 Pro
Watch Series 5 Blk Ti
New Poster

I tried to like this comment and it’s not letting me. Figures. I just had to dropped calls and had to call back three times before the person could hear my ringing and answer my call. I just switch to Xfinity mobile from AT&T about three days ago. I learn to turn off all cellular when I am using Wi-Fi at home, and I turn off Wi-Fi when I’m out and about and need cellular data so they don’t fight each other for used during the phone call. But I’m really frustrated because even when I have three bars I’m getting dropped calls or failed calls and then even when I’m at home with full working Wi-Fi it statically and I’ll get sudden dropped calls And failed calls when I try to answer a call.
Contributor

Welcome to the club of ex-AT&T users who hoped to save a ton by switching to XM!

I am working better, but I do't know what changed, and I still have issues. but I'm sort of jut... going with it - the savings are too good to ignore (and the coverage for Sprint here i also prety terrible).

I really REALLY wish XM would at least acknowledge the issue.

New Poster

I tried to like this comment and it’s not letting me. Figures. I just had two dropped calls and had to call back three times before the person could hear my ringing and answer my call. I just switched to Xfinity mobile from AT&T about three days ago. I have a iPhone Xs Max with the largest GB storage capacity. I learned to turn off all cellular when I am using Wi-Fi at home, and I turn off Wi-Fi when I’m out and about and need cellular data in an area with no or weak xfinity WiFi so they don’t fight each other for use during the phone call. But I’m really frustrated because even when I have three bars I’m getting dropped calls or failed calls and then even when I’m at home with full working Wi-Fi it is static-y and I’ll get sudden dropped calls And failed calls when I try to answer a call. So frustrating!!!
New Poster

Yes. Xfinity just confirmed that you need a good carrier signal for WiFi calling to work well. Really? Not WiFi calling then, is it!
Contributor

Is there another MNVO using Verizon that has working WiFi calling? I'm just wondering if Verizon is somehow intentionally responsible for this issue because they don't want to give away the full potential of their service for such little money.

Frequent Visitor

Visible is a Verizon product and pretty inexpensive for large data users.  Not so much for those of us who don't use a lot of data.  First month $25 and $40 for the rest.  They have a party plan that as each visible customer joins the party, $5 off for each up to 4 people.

Contributor

Is WiFi calling functional with Visible? I'm not looking for a new plan because I don't need WiFi calling. I'd like it though. Moreso I'm just curious if other MNVOs using Verizon actually have it.

Contributor

That may be worth it - I currentyl have a family plan, and while XM would be cheaper, not by THAT much, and $90 is still WAY cheaper than AT&T. And if WiFi calling works, that is AMAZING.

Frequent Visitor

I agree completely with ExATT. That is not a valid explanation. And there has been no effort to communicate with 1st or 2nd level support this is a known issue and there are NO plans to remediate. If you have an iPhone and need WiFi calling, XM will not be a viable solution for you. Switch to another carrier today.
Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
Why is this problem affecting only IPhones ??
Does that mean samsung does not need good cell signal for WIFI to work??

Right - this kills my notion that maybe Verizon could be causing this on purpose, becuase then it would affect phones from both makers.  Leaving XM and Apple as the only possible culprits, but iPhones do manage to do perfect WiFi calling on other networks, so we're back to just XM. What the heck are they doing over there?!

Regular Contributor

Nothing! That’s exactly the root of the problem. They’re doing NOTHING!
Contributor

THere's a reddit thread that had at least one XFinity commentor comment on - not sure but may be worth posting/checking there regularly as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/cx7994/dropped_wifi_calls_iphone_x/

New Poster

Same issues here on all the phones in our house (all are iPhones). Super frustrating.

Contributor

Since IOS 13.3 I think some of my issue are resolved, but not WiFi calling - the one thing I care about.

Regular Visitor

Major issue with our 2 phones. Frequently experiencing drop calls. Many times dropping the call as soon as we try to accept a call. We have an eero WiFi system with strong signal strength throughout our property and we also have 175mb service. WiFi assist is a joke at present.
Regular Contributor

Xfinity Mobile is a joke period.
No attempts to fix the issues or at least communicate with customers is disgraceful!!
New Poster

Same problem with my wife's iphone7.  She drops maybe 50% of her inbound calls when on wifi.  "Call Failure" comes up way too often.  There are 8 of us on 2 different accounts and we are about ready to try something else.  The savings is not worth the aggrevation!

New Poster

Folks,

I am having this issue from day 1 (Nov 1 2019) on iPhone XR.

Continues to happen in IOS 13.3

I have zeroed in on the exact sequence to recreate this problem.

Thought it was an iPhone issue. Explained it thrice to Apple. Got a warranty replacement phone.

It failed incoming calls the same way.

Apple suggested that it is a carrier issue.

Came to this forum and now realize that it is a XM issue. 

Here is the specific sequence to recreate this problem.

1.Turn on WiFi calling + WiFi preferred

2. Turn WiFi off Cell Data Off and BlueTooth Off (This is how I reproduced, it may not be needed)

3. Call in, accept ok

4. Turn WiFi On, call in , accept ok (Swipe down shows 'Xfinity Mobile' 4 bars)

5. Turn On Airplane mode,  (WiFi is still  On), wait a few seconds (Swipe down shows XM WiFi)

6. Call in, accept ok

7. Now turn Airplane mode Off, wait a few seconds (Swipe down shows 'Xfinity Mobile' 4 bars)

8. Now any incoming call, when accepted, shows 'Call failed'

9 Out going calls are always fine

Now this is an XM issue in their iOS implementation because I have a Moto G7 Power from XM sitting cheek by jowl with the iPhone XR and it does not have any issues and specifically no issues with the above sequence.

Would like to get some feedback from other XM users on iPhone if the above sequence fails for them and the model and rough location of the phone (eg mine in iPhone XR and 95050) to confirm if issue is specific to iPhone XR. Also if any one switch carrier with same iPhone and did not experience this problem, please report here.

Right now it seems it affects all iPhone Users with XM

By the way I found that iPhone XR would not detect a 2.4GHz WiFi network that my $120 android did, also was slower to identify available wifi networks, slower to switch between networks, and also identified fewer networks compared to my Android Moto E5 play ,  and Moto G7 power (both of them bought from XM) 

IMHO the problem is as follows: XM on iOS when airplane mode is switched On WiFi calling gets switched On. But when airplane mode is next switched Off (from on position) XM s/w thinks that wifi mode is not applicable and switches to regular call , but gets wedged in a bad state. My Android XM returned to regular calling mode when  airplane mode was switched Off, but did not get wedged failing all incoming calls.

The fact is that WiFi calling should work whenever WiFi signal is available and is strong regardless of whether airplane mode is on or off.

Some geek at XM/iOS who implemented wifi calling on IOS does not think so. This is corraborated by the fact that on an iPhone one cannot access the Emergency E911 address specification for the first time after reset unless Airplane mode is ON. On my Android I can access that menu at any time to set up E911 both with Airplane mode On or Off.

Now wrt XM on Android,  we still have XM issues - there are no dropped calls but a pain to manually switch WiFi mode On and Off

1) Only way to invoke WiFi calling is to switch on Airplane Mode (which turns off any WiFi) and then turn back WiFi On

2) The phone does not get wedged when Airplane mode is switched Off, but returns to 'Carrier calling". (Plus compared to XM in iPhone)

3) If you do not want to  miss calls when you travel out of a WiFi network you must manually remember to turn airplane mode Off. This also means that when you walk out of your house/office it is not able to switch the call seamlessly from WiFi calling to carrier calling.

BTW my prior carrier was T-Mobile and WiFi calling worked like a charm on all my inexpensive Android phones. Whenever I switched WiFi ON, WiFi calling was ON. 

I never had these issues with T-mobile on Android phones - they would switch a live call from WiFi calling to non WiFi calling if user moved out of string WiFi signal. And I never had to invoke Airplane mode to wake phone up to use WiFi calling. For any call it checked if a strong WiFi signal was available andif so used WiFi calling - else reverted to regular calling, all without user intervention,  if use jsut set the WiFi preference once.

New Poster

Please look at my recent post that gives the exact sequence that leads to failed calls

It takes only a couple of minutes to recreate. You can try on you own XM iPhone and see for yourself the results and convince yourself it is a consistently reproducible XM problem

New Poster

What was your result after comparing WiFi calling with iPhones from Verizon and XM?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

My phones just switch back and forth between wifi calling and regular cell service (weak 1-2 bar signal). Using wifi calling in airplane mode doesn’t fix the problem. Still dropped calls. Have been dealing with this for over a year. Tried everything. Iphone 7 and iPhone XR, both worked great when I was with att on the same wifi network.
Regular Contributor

Try the following in this sequence, we don't have a WiFi drop problem.

A. Clear all apps, left option then "close all"

1. Turn on "Airplane Mode"

2. Turn on WiFi, connect to home network.

3. Start phone.

4. Icone at bottom changes to wiFI Calling, may also propmt for WiFi call config,

Having done this we are OK now

5. Turn off Airplane Mode

6. be certain wifi is turned on.

Proud owner of Samsung S10E.

- Bill
Regular Visitor

This issue really affects iPhone users, not Android users.

I have issue with bug on incoming WiFi callls also. I will receive call but the moment I answer it drops with message call failed. If I make outgoing WiFi call it goes through just fine. Usually a quick reset with phone restart or turning off/on WiFi radio fixes it but only temporarily.
New Poster

Hi,  ATT has a microcell that works well to boost the cell signal.  I thought I would try Xfinity Mobile as the price was attactive.  But I only get 1 to 2 bars on my phone.  It's funny I can stream videos on my phone but cant use the phone as a phone reliably.  It's not the speed, I have blazing fast speed.  All other devices work excellent on Xfinity.  It's a shame about the Mobile comcast.  Apparently doesn't work.  I have an Iphone 8.  Works well on ATT with the microcell 5 bars and am going back on it tomorrow.  

New Poster

I went into Xfinity Mobile store and was able to recreate the same problem using the same sequence on an iPhone XS that belonged to the Xfinity Mobile Customer Service Associate. It seems all iPhones on XM have this issue.

Frequent Visitor

I applaud your efforts and wish you luck in getting anyone to work on a resolution. And happy holidays to all on this post!
New Poster

Here’s the fix. It’s a pain in the butt but it works. When you are home or WiFi dependent TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE and then if necessary re-enable WiFi and Bluetooth only. The phone will fight between cellular and WiFi when there are incoming calls so you have to force it to stay on XM WiFi. It will not work if Airplane mode is not ON. But you have to remember to turn Airplane mode off when you leave or you will not receiving cellular calls! This also works for sending text messages and SMS messages over WiFi when cellular data isn’t available.
Frequent Visitor

This is a known work-around, not the fix we expect from Comcast.
Regular Contributor

This workaround doesn’t workaround anything for me. Still experiencing dropped calls and loss of xm wifi calling on and off in an airplane mode.. Agree, this is not by any means acceptable fix/solution to this problem.
New Poster

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Any update or fixes on this?  I just switched over from Verizon and the wifi calling won't work and I have had zero luck with their service.  Fingers Crossed

Regular Contributor

😂
Update!? Sorry to disappoint you but there has never been any update. Probably never will be. Almost 2 years for some
New Poster

I am having the same issues with WiFi calling. When I lived in Chicago I had xfinity 200mbps download speed and now that I have moved to TN with the same phones, increased download speed, no setting changes my WiFi calling no longer works. Service we have for cellular is att
Frequent Visitor

I began troubleshooting this problem back at page 4 of this thread.  Still no resolutions.  I have come to just assume that every incoming call will fail when I answer and then I call the person back.  Very unprofessional if I receive any work-related calls.  I would love to recommend Xfinity Mobile, but have to warn anyone that they should not use XM if they plan to use wifi calling.  At this point, I'm just biding my time until I'm ready to upgrade my phone and I'll be cancelling and heading elsewhere.  I had the same phone configured in the same manner when I was with AT&T and had zero issues with wifi calling and receiving calls. 

New Poster

We bought 2 new IPhone 11's from Xfinity in October when we changed our service to Xfinity Mobile and they have dropped calls consistently  since then.  We have sought help from Comcast, Verizion through Xfinitity MobileTier 2 and Apple.  So far none have provided any solution and don't seem to be working on it.  We never had a problem witb dropped calls with our prior service and IPhones 7 and SE!

Contributor

What makes this even worse is the fairly regular replies to other threads from @ComcastChrisL and @ComcastKenF but nothing here. 15+ pages of concerns (some flat out complaints and not useful replies) and testing and everything - and nothing.

Just some sort of acknowledgement would go a long way. My service continues to be faulty - dropped calls, etc as everybody else is experiencing.

To add insult to injury, it's been over 3 months of service for me now, and no sign of my supposed $300 rebate/card for buying a new phone either. Well done XM.