Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Official Employee

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

jljtrade, hey there! Thanks for posting on the forums! I got your private message as well so I'll follow up with you there. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Well, I'm happy to report I've solved the problem. No dropped wifi calls any more.

I now switched to Sprint.

No more chasing ghosts

No more complaints

It's been a wacky 9 months.

Good luck everyone!

Contributor

Very wise move on your part!
New Poster

Wow i’ve been having this issue ever since I switched to xfinity more than a year ago, just found this thread, didn’t realize how widespread it is. And i’m disappointed to learn that Xfinity hasn’t fixed it in all this time. Look at how long this thread has been around! My calls drop so frequently i’m just fed up at this point and will be switching back to Cricket Wireless where I don’t recall having a single dropped call in 4 years of service. Costs a few bucks more but it’s worth it to actually have working cell service. Do yourself a favor and switch. This is ridiculous.
New Poster

Im having the same WiFi calling issue. Constant “call failed”. I just got xfinity mobile a month ago. Looks like I’m going to have to switch to another cell provider.
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone experience these failed calls with only single WiFi router in their house?
Wondering if it could have to do with having satellites / repeaters, and when a phone transfers WiFi connection to a satellite, the calls start to fail.
Regular Contributor

@sbb7 wrote:
Does anyone experience these failed calls with only single WiFi router in their house?
Wondering if it could have to do with having satellites / repeaters, and when a phone transfers WiFi connection to a satellite, the calls start to fail.

From someone who's tried everything from locking into individual routers, changing frequency, scanning the spectrum agains neighbors and even shutting off my "Xfinity Wifi" hotspot that no one ever asked for, I only have one suggestion:

The fact that all of the other cellular services work flawlessly under the same Wifi configuration should make you want to depart and leave tire tracks like a bunch of us have already done!

Contributor

Xfinity Mobile needs to fix their WiFi Calling!

Spectrum Mobile which is another MVNO and large Internet provider similar to Xfinity also uses Verizon and don’t appear to have the same problems that Xfinity Mobile is having. 

Our hope is that Xfinity Mobile will work with Verizon to solve the WiFi Calling issues as soon as possible. 

In the mean time I recommend that you don’t use or turn on WiFi Calling unless you really have to, and if you really have to, users are having some luck when they turn off cellular (toggle on airplane mode) so that your phone isn’t trying to figure out the best Calling connection, cellular versus WiFi. 

Also, for a better chance of success, users should make sure that they have the latest phone software and the latest network settings. Also, power your phone off and on again occasionally. 

Frequent Visitor

Someone posted on reddit that they’ve had a much better WiFi calling experience using iOS 13 beta. That has carrier settings 38.0, different from iOS 12 which seems to run 36.1
Is anyone else running 38.0?
(Settings - General - about - Carrier)
Contributor

^^^ Well, that's encouraging. Just a couple of weeks before iOS 13 drops for everyone. Here's hoping!

Frequent Visitor

I tried the beta for a week. Everything seemed good for a day then back to normal.

I wish we could do a poll here to see which phones are affected.

XS Max 256GB here
Regular Contributor

It appears that this problem only affects iPhones?  Not Android devices?  If so is it only BYOD devices or XM supplied iPhones as well?

Frequent Visitor

We have four phones all with poor WiFi calling, and poor LTE performance.  3 BYOD, and one new iphone Xs supplied by Xfinity.  I see no progress on the problem and intend to switch back to Verizon or another carrier at the end of my 90 period.

Regular Contributor

From one ex-engineer to another.  Thanks for the quick response.  ;-)

Frequent Visitor

If anyone still has the beta, please check if your beta release has carrier settings 38.0.
I don’t know if those settings were available when the beta was first released.
This actually should not be a tough problem to fix. Most other carriers have WiFi calling that works just fine.
Contributor

People reported these issues on all sort of IPhones. Xfinity and BYOD - makes no difference.
And I don’t get why some days are ok and some days (like this morning) I cannot get a single phone call without dropping. This is pathetic!
Regular Contributor

Curious that it doesn't appear to affect Android devices....

New Poster

This has been happening to me for the last 2 years as well. I'm excited to get the latest iOS update / carrier settings and hopefully find that it is resolved. I haven't minded the dropped calls too much (I don't make/receive too many calls), but today my call was dropped in the middle of a conversation from a friend I haven't heard from in years and unfortunately it was an extremely limited window of time that we could have this conversation, so there was no way to reconnect and say a proper good bye. Really frustrated.

Contributor

Yes only iPhones seem to have the issue (Xs Max 256GB for me bought from Xfinity). But those same phones seem to do just fine with other carriers' WiFi calling. This is why the best bet is still that this is a carrier settings issue.

@rknaub can you verify that your week experiment included carrier settings v38.0?

Frequent Visitor

@FourOnSix

Sorry, went back to 12.4 to troubleshoot with Xfinity because I didn’t want them to blame a beta OS. I don’t have an answer for that.
Contributor

That makes sense.

Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

Yes only iPhones seem to have the issue (Xs Max 256GB for me bought from Xfinity). But those same phones seem to do just fine with other carriers' WiFi calling. This is why the best bet is still that this is a carrier settings issue.

Undoubtedly.  However, since Android devices don't suffer this problem it would appear that Apple owns at least part of the problem (and solution...)

Contributor

That may be, but it seems pretty much every other carrier has figured out how to work WiFi calling with iPhones. I do wonder about the competence of the XM engineers on this one.

Frequent Visitor

Why this is even an issue befuddles me.  Xfinity is a virtual carrier using Verizon's wireless network.  Apple does extensive testing which is known as Carrier Conformance testing specific to Verizon...I used to sell some of the systems that went into Apple's labs and Verizons labs just for that task.  This is relatively mature technology and should work.  The fact that it clearly doesn't, and has not worked for a long time based on this forum is troubling.  Xfinity customers are second class on Verizon's network and clearly Xfinity is not getting support from Verizon to get this fixed.  How iphones are call managed on Xfinity's virtual wireless network is not implemented correctly.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast obtained the rights to use Verizon’s network in a transaction where they sold Verizon a lot of wireless spectrum that it wanted / needed. I’m sure Verizon is not thrilled that Comcast is now competing with them and taking customers away, on the same network. So Verizon is probably not eager to work with XM to fix their WiFi calling.
Visible is Verizon’s own discount MVNO, but it has no stores, its service is heavily deprioritized (more than XM it seems), and has serious issues with customer service. But its WiFi calling works, because it’s Verizon’s own. XM should be able to handle this given Comcast’s vast resources.
New Poster

I had same experience.  Even swapped out phone.  Going on a year without being able to use the feature.

New Poster

I found that using the speaker option decreased the dropped calls! Why, I don’t know. Before I discovered this, I couldn’t talk for 1 minute, in my home, (which has high speed internet and WiFi) , without dropping the call!
Contributor

Interesting... however hard to test when you cannot even answer the phone since it says ‘call failed’ 50 times before you manage to get a connection.
Regular Contributor

I was using speaker 99% of my calls and was having all of the call failure issues I reported.

Words of wisdom for forum members: one good day does not mean problem is solved.

As for me, my wifi calls haven't dropped once since I switched.

Contributor

Not one call has dropped since switching.

So nice to no longer deal with that nonsence!

Official Employee

Hi @UnhappyExATT

I can understand why this would be frustrating. We can check the back end of your account to see if there is an issue with your internet connection from our end that would be causing this. Can you please send a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different?

To send a Private Message, please click "Comcast_Support” and click “send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I did. Can’t wait to see the results
Frequent Visitor

FWIW, I updated to 13.0 again today, this should be the GM release. Carrier settings reported as 37.0.1. Not enough usage yet to determine any improvement.
Frequent Visitor

Still completely unusable on iOS 13 GM.

Frequent Visitor

Installed iOS 13.1 beta 3. It does have the 38.0 carrier. Will report back when I start having problems.
Frequent Visitor

Still dropping calls. Seemed like it was better for the first part of today, but for the last hour or so, it drops the calls as soon as I answer.

FRUSTRATED AND FED UP!
Frequent Visitor

So it’s still very bad with iOS 13.1? Not worth waiting for?
Frequent Visitor

The only thing I’ll be waiting for is to pay this phone off so I can switch.
Regular Contributor

I just paid the balance owed on my phone and switched. If you rely on Wifi calling, it's worth it.

I switched to Sprint and the wifi calling has been flawless. I will say the cell coverage is not quite as good as XM (i.e. Verizon) in general.

As an interesting experiment, I will be switching my wife's phone to Verizon Prepay (which is also relatively cheap) to see how that works.

Frequent Visitor

I won't be waiting to pay off the phone to switch.  I'm waiting only for the 90 days to pass and get the credit for trying this network, which sadly is very poor.  Driving home I just dropped two calls, which I would not on pure Verizon.  I will pay off the phone and switch to Verizon.  The general network performance of Xfinity is like going back 10 years in cellular coverage and call reliability.

Regular Contributor

@exengineer wrote:

I won't be waiting to pay off the phone to switch.  I'm waiting only for the 90 days to pass and get the credit for trying this network, which sadly is very poor.  Driving home I just dropped two calls, which I would not on pure Verizon.  I will pay off the phone and switch to Verizon.  The general network performance of Xfinity is like going back 10 years in cellular coverage and call reliability.

That's true. If it's of any consolation, the call quality on XM is fantastic when calls are not being randomly dropped - LOL

Frequent Visitor

Verizon and AT&T networks have HD Voice interoperability with each other, so call quality is way better within and between those networks. T-Mo and Sprint are on their own so they only offer HD Voice within their own network.
New Poster

Still no fix... call failure in the middle of a conversation... so annoying. Using iPhone XR... been with Verizon and T-mobile, calling with wifi call was excellent even thou cellular signal is zero/null (never failed with the same internet and router)... Definetely the problem is with the Xfinity mobile sim. Appreciate if there is any solution... Thanks

Contributor

@exengineer wrote:

I am with you on the horrible performance of wifi calling, but coming from AT&T, I have found XM to excede AT&T's service by pretty much every other metric. My work takes me all over Colorado, where AT&T wasn't too bad, but XM is better. Also find it better in Los Angeles, where AT&T stinks.

Regular Visitor

I am having this issue on all three phones.  I have an iphone XR, 7 and 6s.  The 6s is the worst!  He called me while I was at the store and the call failed 8 times.  I tried to call support and was told that I needed a new SIM card.  Seriously, a new Sim Card???? I will try anything at this point.  I have the SIM card from Visible and am waiting for an unlock.  It is going to be more expensive, but communication needs to be useful!

Contributor

There’s a great solution.
Switch to Any Other carrier!
Fixes the problem immediately.
Frequent Visitor

The reason this problem is unsolved after 17 months is that Xfinity appears to be approaching this as an individual problem: “contact us personally....” to “reset network settings”, “switch out SIM card”. Until it recognizes this is a carrier problem with the way XM designed their WiFi calling, nothing will be solved. No-one I’ve spoken to in support can provide direct feedback to the real team of engineers who could fix this. Sad.
Frequent Visitor

I've made it as far as Tier 3 support at Xfinity and a joint call with Verizon engineering.  Xfinity knows its a problem, but it is merely assigned to engineering follow up.  It shouldn't be a problem given it works so well when I was a pure Verizon customer. 

I was in the vicinity of the Xfinity store today and politely expressed the problems to the manager.  He acknowledged they have a known WiFi calling problem but did not know the extent.  He applied another $45 credit to my account which posted immediately.

I am waiting to finish the 90 period, get our new customer credits, and then switch back to Verizon.  However I'm uncomfortable with our inability to make calls, or recieve calls and relialize that is not a good situation if we have an emergency.  I may approach Xfinity tomorrow to simply pay up the credits now and allow me to exit given their network is unreliable for emergency use.  If they don't honor that request I will post on Nextdoor.com and I'm sure I can cause them to lose customers in this area.  One vocal disgruntled customer can cost them easily 10x or more in lost revenue.   I would also consider calling the consumer lines at our local TV network affiliates.

Contributor

Corporate definitely knows it is an issue. However their tier one support however never got the menu.

I just find it all so baffling. I keep having this thought that surely they could have solved this by now if they wanted to. Could there possibly be a reason they actually want it this way? It sounds so absurd, but is it more absurd than the fact that they can't manage to fix this issue?

Frequent Visitor

I previously worked with Test and Measurement systems that were purchased by companies such as Apple for LTE Conformance testing.  I'm taking a bit of a guess here as I my role was not the expert Applications Engineer--instead the Sales Engineer.  Verizon's network works well, and problems like Wifi calling have been resolved years ago.  While searching around the web I see that there are companies now providing virtual IMS Core network architecture.  My guess is that Xfinity is using Verizon's cell towers, but not their IMS Core network.  Xfinity may be completely silo'd out quickly from Verizon's network using a virtual IMS Core architecture which does not go through the rigorous Conformance testing and interoperability testing that Apple and Verizon do.  Xfinity's network architecture is simply not as well tested and as such there are problems.  This is a guess, but given we all see that Xfinity Mobile is unreliable and does not have the same user experience as Verizon.