Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Have only had the phones ported since the beginning of the week, so it’s early. Yes, very poor signal at home, frequent dropped calls without WiFi calling. Not one problem in WiFi calling so far on the “good phone”, but WiFi calling worthless on the other. The main difference between the two phones is that the “good” one has many fewer apps on it. Maybe there is app conflict. No idea. But need a fix for this WiFi calling anyway.
Regular Contributor

Seems to work here on s10e

- Bill
New Poster

Hi Ken, I reading all the posts and I am having the same exact issue with 2 iPhone 6s Plus. Make and receiving a call is almost impossible. Xfinity mobile service is a disaster. I’ve called multiple times and it seems the only real fix is to switch carriers. I’m still currently with xm but I don’t know how much more I can take. Xm really needs to acknowledge this issue and fix it ASAP
Contributor

@sbb7 wrote:
Have only had the phones ported since the beginning of the week, so it’s early. Yes, very poor signal at home, frequent dropped calls without WiFi calling. Not one problem in WiFi calling so far on the “good phone”, but WiFi calling worthless on the other. The main difference between the two phones is that the “good” one has many fewer apps on it. Maybe there is app conflict. No idea. But need a fix for this WiFi calling anyway.

Just curious... were both phones purchased at the same time/place? Were they ported over to XM or bought at Comcast store?

Makes me curious if a new iPhone X without any new apps would work fine or not, but I'm not willing to wipe my phone to find out.

I wish this could somehow be brought to the attention of the people who are working on this issue, as maybe there's a clue in there somewhere. Any ideas, 

Frequent Visitor

Both phones were purchased at the same time, and both were ported from T Mobile at the same time. There is definitely something to that. The “good phone” has many fewer apps on it. I agree it would be very helpful for someone to restore a “bad” phone to factory settings as a “new phone” without any apps installed, to see if that fixes the issue.
New Poster

We are now looking at other carriers. Sorry Comcast but you CAN'T fix your own problems. 

@ComcastKenF wrote:

DreamSayerZ, are you also having issue with connectivity outside of wiFi calling on other devices? I

No

New Poster

Just switched from AT&T to comcast 2 weeks ago (July24th).  Have poor cellular reception at my house and had a Microcell thru AT&T.   Since the switch to Comcast need to rely on WiFi calling but unfortunately I have experienced a lot of dropped calls.  Is there a fix?

Contributor

Sorry, no fix yet. The only workaround is to put your phone in airplane mode at home. Has been flawless this way for many of us, but of course this is only a bandaid and you have to remember to turn airplane mode off when you leave the house.

Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

Sorry, no fix yet. The only workaround is to put your phone in airplane mode at home. Has been flawless this way for many of us, but of course this is only a bandaid and you have to remember to turn airplane mode off when you leave the house.

In all fairness, airplane mode does not work flawlessly for many of us.

I've had to switch to Google voice for important calls at home -- until either (a) there's a fix, or (b) I change back to a reputable carrier

New Poster

any insight on my question? Please advise.

Contributor

There is only 1 thing you can do to fix this issue
Switch back to ATT
Regular Contributor

@bannis55 wrote:

any insight on my question? Please advise.

In all seriousness, coming from someone who has read every post on this thread, your choices are:

1) Try airplane mode

2) Add Google voice onto your phone and use that number instead

3) Switch carriers

4) Wait for a fix (hasn't happened in the 16 month lifetime of this thread)

Frequent Visitor

I don’t know if anyone has tried restoring iPhone as a “new phone” (not backup) And trying WiFi calling before any apps are reinstalled. Yes that would be a drastic step.
Contributor

I would try that, but it would be useless, as my cell reception here has improved dramatically in the past 6 months. I would be very interested in the results if someone else gave it a shot.

I'm also still very much hoping for wifi calling - I think it's a great feature even when you don't absolutely need it, for reasons such as call quality, battery life, and a less powerful radio signal required.

Frequent Visitor

I restored, set up as new, didn’t install any additional apps, and the problem still existed.
Frequent Visitor

Was this a phone that was previously used with a different carrier’s WiFi calling on the same WiFi network? (Some WiFi networks seems to cause dropped calls for all carriers in my experience)
Frequent Visitor

I'm amazed to look at this over one year thread seeing the poor WiFi calling performance on Xfinity.  We switched over from Verizon and all the family phones now have call failures associated with WiFi handoff from LTE.  We have poor Verizon coverage at our home so using a more robust WiFi signal at home for solid phone calls is essential.  This should be considered mature technology and for the issue to continue for more than a year is disturbing.   I know there are specific carrier specific conformance testing for AT&T, Verizon that the iphone engineers go through.  You would think that Xfinity using Verizon would work seamlessly but that is not the case.

Frequent Visitor

For those having WiFi calling issues, are you using Comcast leased modem/router or are you using your own dedicated modem/router/WiFi?  I have my own purchased modem with a seperate router and WiFi.  We have solid 300M download and 12M upload, with very good 300M WiFi coverage through the house.  I never had call drop issues when we used Verizon Mobile directly.  Now that we switched to Xfinity Mobile we have constant call drops.  Is there any correlation with others having the issue associated with using private owned modem/routers versus Comcast leased equipment?

Frequent Visitor

I have tested my WiFi calling on multiple different devices, purchase and rental. All modems have gig service, and one is an EPON which is a fiber connection all the way to Comcast backbone, minus the 5-10 feet of 5ghz WiFi, which I sit next to at work. I have constant issues with dropped calls. Sometimes they work, but more often than not, they fail.
Frequent Visitor

Using Comcast leased cable modem but own mesh router. Also excellent WiFi signal throughout.
These failed calls have also happened at other commercial and residential using WiFi calling.

Contributor

It doesn’t matter what modem which Iphone. Same thing. It’s 100% xfinity’s problem. I’ve been dealing with this for almost a year and tried everything and checked everything. Nothing has worked for me to solve it. Seems like they aren’t even trying to do anything
Frequent Visitor

I was one of the people who came from Verizon, and struggled with Xfinity WiFi calling for 9 months. I tried EVERYTHING in this thread (including phone factory reset, airplane mode, new router,....).
I had technicians over to measure out WiFi and Cell signals in my house.

I had tickets with Verizon and Apple.

I wrote to the CEO of Xfinity, and got “executive personal support”.
All of this lead to the conclusion: WiFi calling with Xfinity does not work. Xfinity’s problem, and engineering isn’t even working on it!!!

So now 3 months ago, I switched to T-Mobile. Since I am 55+, I get two lines unlimited EVERTHING (data, text, calling,...), even unlimited data and text in over 200 other countries... I stream Pandora in my car (UNLIMITED), I FaceTime my friends and family from the beach, ...
For $90 (which includes my Netflix account, all fees and taxes,....).

I am not looking back: not a single dropped call, service where I didn’t have service before, and more perks than I can handle...

Well, I guess I did look back, because my inbox is still overflowing with forum chatter. But it is the same old, same old: don’t botter, it is Xfinity’s issue, and they’re NOT working to fix it. And there is NO work around (even Airplane mode fails).

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Mobile is a MVNO, Mobile Virtual Network Operator.  They advertise and tell you at the store the same quality as the primary carrier...Verizon.  Well, as we all experience that is not the case.  I even found on the web an article comparing service quality of MVNO's versus the primary carrier and found that Xfinity Mobile is about half the quality score when compared to Verizon directly.  This is dissapointing after switching 4 family phones.  I think I will start demanding half off my bill until they fix this, or just switch back to Verizon.  Switching back would be a hassle as we did some phone upgrades at the store.

Contributor

I must say it’s a much better experience reading this thread as a former Xfinity Mobile customer rather than a current one.
Switched to Sprint Kickstarter 2 lines unlimited for $50 per month. No dropped calls since switching.
Frequent Visitor

Success.  I went back to calling Xfinity Mobile and got Tier 2 support on the line.  I explained one of our iPhones 7s was dropping calls and would not reliably default to WiFi calling at our home where we have very poor cell coverage (in between two Verizon cells with a hilly terrain).  The phone should camp on WiFi, but calls drop and the quality is not HD calling.

Matthew at Xfinity checked a few settings and then directed me to turn of "WiFi Assist".  This sounds very counter intuitive, but appears to have worked.  Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Cellular" and then scroll was down to the bottom and and find "WiFi Assist"....which is likely enabled, and turn it off.

After we did that he called me on that phone and I walked our house to all areas and the phone call was solid, on WiFi calling the entire time.

The rest of our family will try this on our phones and see if it works.  So far this seems to resolve the issue.

Regular Contributor

@exengineer wrote:

Success.  I went back to calling Xfinity Mobile and got Tier 2 support on the line.  I explained one of our iPhones 7s was dropping calls and would not reliably default to WiFi calling at our home where we have very poor cell coverage (in between two Verizon cells with a hilly terrain).  The phone should camp on WiFi, but calls drop and the quality is not HD calling.

Matthew at Xfinity checked a few settings and then directed me to turn of "WiFi Assist".  This sounds very counter intuitive, but appears to have worked.  Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Cellular" and then scroll was down to the bottom and and find "WiFi Assist"....which is likely enabled, and turn it off.

After we did that he called me on that phone and I walked our house to all areas and the phone call was solid, on WiFi calling the entire time.

The rest of our family will try this on our phones and see if it works.  So far this seems to resolve the issue.

I've had WiFi assist turned off for many months. Give it more than a day....I've noticed WiFi calling has a good day once in a while.

Contributor

My wifi assist is off and I called all tires of available support including techs at the house. Most of us here tried it all. Read the whole thread, it’s I believe 2 years old or close to it. NOTHING WORKS.
You can stop wasting your time. What’s absurd is that this company can still pull clients in, and not disclosing that their product does not work properly. It should be clearly stated when signing up or buying their IPhones that if you plan on using WIFI calling feature, you will have problems.
How is this legal is beyond me.
Frequent Visitor

Well, turning off WiFi Assist had no impact.  Still problems.  I called support, started a call, but the call dropped.  My patience is running thin.  It's time to start requiring monthly bill credits until they get this fixed.

Contributor

Good luck with that
New Poster

Yeah. Good luck with that. It seems your only viable option to use WiFi calling is to switch carriers.
Contributor

Yessir, good luck with that!
Switch and save yourself a lot of time and energy.

Not too mention having proper service!
Regular Contributor

It's quite sad that there are so many customers on this forum willing to help find a solution to try to make this service work...yet there's absolutely nothing to show for it.

The only redeeming virtue is pointing folks contemplating switching to XM to this forum before they get drawn in.

New Poster

Well,

I have given up.  My new Sprint SiM card is showing up today.  I hope I go back to no more failed calls

Good luck to those who stay.

New Poster

I'm using an iPhone XR and have the same issue with drop outs. Never had this problem when useing AT&T.

Frequent Visitor

I’ve had enough, over a year of dropped and failed calls, switched to Visible earlier this week and so far so good.
New Poster

I found this in the support section in the Mobile App.
“ Your device will prioritize a network connection over WiFi when the connection is strong enough to make and receive calls. To prevent using a cellular network to make or receive calls, put your phone in airplane mode and make sure WiFi is on.”
Frequent Visitor

You shouldn't have to put your phone in airplane mode for WiFi calling to work.  We barely have cell coverage at our house and the phone wants to default to 4g cellular, which it can't sustain if you move the phone.  My wife was home yesterday and I called from the freeway which was halted due to a hazard and I could not get a call through to her.  Her phone was on Xfinity Mobile, and the calls were failing.  I'm disgusted with their network implementation, it simply does not work as well as Verizon.  We will drop Xfinity Mobile once we clear the 90 day point and can at least get the credits for having switched.  Sadly you can Google MVNO Quality report (mobile virtual network operator...that's what Xfinity Mobile is) and industry reports suggest that the quality of the MVNO is far worse than the underlying carrier (Verizon).  To bad, we are second class citizens on Verizon's network as Xfinity Mobile customers.

Frequent Visitor

That’s why I moved to Visible Wireless (owned by Verizon) last week, they are also an MVNO but since owned by Verizon their WiFi calling actually works! If there is any Verizon MVNO that would be prioritized over others would be the one that they own. Wife is still on Xfinity mobile due to Visible doesn’t have international roaming (only works in the 50 states). Visible is $40/month including taxes for unlimited data, text, and voice. The site claims no data throttling for those that sign up for a “limited time” and then will be grandfathered in. Also offering a $100 to $200 MasterCard gift for those that sign up. I’m having flashbacks of my service a year ago when I was with Verizon before switching to Xfinity mobile. A week with Visible and haven’t had a dropped or failed call. Wish I moved months ago. Found a code for $20 off your 1st month for anyone interested. Put in code “ zSH88 “ upon checkout to get 50% off first month.

Frequent Visitor

@Howie0097 wrote:
I found this in the support section in the Mobile App.
“ Your device will prioritize a network connection over WiFi when the connection is strong enough to make and receive calls. To prevent using a cellular network to make or receive calls, put your phone in airplane mode and make sure WiFi is on.”
Would it be possible for Comcast to change their code so that once a call is initiated, the software stops looking for either a network connection or WiFi and just stays on whichever is currently carrying the call.
Frequent Visitor

I think it’s important for everyone who has these issues to call xfinity Mobile Service to “start a case”. Hopefully the large number of cases will keep them working on this issue (even though nothing has been fixed in over a year)
As for Visible Mobile, the WiFi calling works well, but the customer service is horrible from what I’ve read. There is no service number to call. Just spotty “online chat”
New Poster

I’ve been getting dropped calls since my wife and I switch to XM, xfinity doesn’t care, nothing is getting done and I’m tired of poor excuses. Time to get a new carrier that cares about their customers.
Regular Contributor

@sbb7 wrote:
I think it’s important for everyone who has these issues to call xfinity Mobile Service to “start a case”. Hopefully the large number of cases will keep them working on this issue (even though nothing has been fixed in over a year)
As for Visible Mobile, the WiFi calling works well, but the customer service is horrible from what I’ve read. There is no service number to call. Just spotty “online chat”

The online Comcast reps on this forum have acknowledged the problem, so calling XM to initiate more cases seems like a sideways battle that will waste valuable time.

As for Visible Mobile, spotty customer service is not nearly as bad as spotty phone service -- or so I have learned.

I am now spending time working on a direct solution to this problem and happy to report back in a week or two on how that fares.

New Poster

Having same problem, repeated dropped calls with very strong wifi but poor cell coverage, with two different iphones

New Poster

I have this issue also.  My Internet is Xfinity and my cellular operator is AT&T.  The cellular coverage is a bit weak at my house which affects the uplink signal (how people hear me) first.  So I am trying airplane mode with WiFi enabled and WiFi calling.

However, the WiFI calls drop randomly on the order of every 10 to 30 minutes, even though the voice sounds great in both directions and I am very close to the WiFi AP/router.  I thought perhaps WiFi interference from my neighbors was an issue, so I changed the WiFi channel from 11 to 2 which had almost no interference.  The problem remains.  The drops are very sudden with no warning and happen when the signal and the voice are pristine.  It does not seem to be a WiFi problem, but perhaps something in the Internet connection.

There are some things which can disrupt Internet connections such as maintenance, certain kinds of Internet attacks such as TCP resets by 3rd parties, or perhaps something causing frequent dynamic IP address changes.  I don't have proof that it is something disrupting the Internet connection, but that is currently my best guess for my situation.  As others have discussed, if you are not in airplane mode and have WiFi calling enabled, the situation is more complex due to the call management auto-selecting between WiFi and cellular even during a call.  I hope Xfinity is able to reproduce these issues and find a root cause or causes

Frequent Visitor

My inbox is still overflowing with notifications from this forum.
Time to remind people:
I had switched from Verizon to Xfinity in Sept.2018. For 8 months I battled the “dropped call” issue. EVERYTHING fails (including Airplane mode). Go through this whole forum thread, you will find my entries, illustrating that I tried literally all the suggestions and advise, and I went all the way to Emailing the CEO of Xfinity, what resulted in getting a “personal executive support” person. We talked to Apple, we talked to Verizon... but NOBODY is talking to Xfinity engineering (as admitted by this executive support person), because their engineering team says “there is no problem”. 
I provided the link to this forum to all of the support people I dealt with, to show how big the problem is...
I had technicians come to my house, only to confirm the problem.
And when my “executive support person” finally said that NOBODY IS WORKING ON THE SOLUTION, NOR PLANNING TO WORK ON IT, I demanded my money back, and switched to T-Mobile.
And it just works...
Peace. No headaches. People can call me. I can call people. No dropped calls.
And it is actually cheaper than Xfinity, because I am 55+: two lines for $70 (no extra fees or taxes). UNLIMITED data. FREE Netflix. Unlimited data and texting in over 200 countries.

I don’t want to be a doom sayer, but people: look at how old this thread is. Look at messages that are over a year old. Look at things that were advised back then. And look at the advice right now:
THERE HAS NOT BEEN A CHANGE FOR OVER A YEAR. This won’t be fixed.
Join the rest of us, and go to Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile. It just works.

New Poster

Good suggestion that seems to work but then have to remember to switch on off whenever go in and out of house which causes more problems 

Contributor

Switching to any other carrier makes all of this a non issue.
Switched to Sprint months ago and the problem went completely away.
Well worth the couple of bucks I would have saved by staying with XM.
Contributor

Thanks for the comments.  I agree that many, maybe most, issues on this thread seem to be related to switching during a call from WiFi to cellular (hand up) for Xfinity which is a special type of handoff and may be more delicate/vulnerable than the typcial cellular to cellular handoff which is contained within the cellular systems.  Reading through the thread, I do see some others that may be talking about issues that continue even with cellular disabled using airplane mode to force WiFi only which may be a problem similar to mine.  But most do say that airplane mode with WIFi enabled solves their problem at the expense of manually selecting/deselecting airplane mode.

I can run Internet performance tests including speed, latency/delay, and packet loss.  Can you recommend any detailed Internet tests or modem performance tests (I am using an AC1600 cable modem dual-band WiFi router) which might be helpful for my situation or for any others on this thread where Internet issues may be part of their WiFi calling issues?  Thanks.

@Marie0916 I think  you are correct that the wifi calling drops in your case are internet related, but this is not related to the specific issue on this thread, which is unique to Xfinity Mobile customers (you use AT&T for cellular).

Previous to switching to XM, I had the same config as you - an AT&T wireless customer with Xfinity internet and a cellular signal that I too would describe as a bit weak. WiFi calling was flawless. I don't think I ever dropped a call. In short, Xfinity internet has no general issues handling WiFi calling, but some people's issues (on any cellular carrier) are with their home internet setup or perhaps local/regional ISP issues.

The fact that your WAN IP is changing frequently is odd. You best bet is to keep attacking this issue as a local internet issue. I do IT work all over my state and have been in hundreds of homes and small buisinesses served by Comcast. Sometimes a problem is your modem/router. Sometimes it's the older Comcast cables/splitters built into/onto the home (something Comcast can often fix). Sometimes it's the "last mile" (the connection from the network that physically connects your home) - that's also something a good Comcast  serviceperson can fix. But sometimes it's regional. There are some towns where Comcast internet is simply a mess and service issues are guaranteed. In my town much of the service is like this, but I live in a newer neighborhood and internet is relatively flawless by comparison. Not a lot of options if your problem is regional. Good luck!

New Poster

Good morning Ken,

I recently switched to xfinity mobile and the wifi calling barely works. Over 3/4 of my my calls fail. This never occured when I was on ATT. I must have wifi calling b/c the xfinity mobile/vz signal is too weak in my area. I've seen that many others are having this issue. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks for any help! Jamie

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately most people on this thread found it when they switch and find out the service is poor.  The network implementation and call management simply doesn't work.  Xfinity Mobile customers get a 2nd class citizen status on the Verizon network.  I'm a retired engineer who worked with Apple on LTE testing, WiFi calling and I thought Xfinity would be the same as Verizon.  It's not.  After hours of support calls I gave up.  I'm simply waiting for my 90 day period to end, get my credit for switching, and then go back to Verizon.

For the record I have no affiliation with any carrier or supplier, I am retired.  I'm simply a very dissapointed customer tired of wasting time on Tier 2 support calls with Xfinity.  (Their cable internet is great, but mobile wireless frankly stinks.)