Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Frequent Visitor

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

With quite frequency, my partner and I are both having dropped calls using WiFi calling from our home. We have poor cell signal at our address so we require this feature. We switched from TMO to XM. We never had issues like this using the feature on TMO.

Why is XM WiFi calling so flaky like this?  Is it the service? I noticed others complaining about this issue on the Verizon forums. Not happy!

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Same here... not sure the cause but it’s a pain. I have 100mbps downstream and probably 20 up so bandwidth isn’t the issue. And I’ve reset my modem and router...
Official Employee

DreamSayerZ, are you also having issue with connectivity outside of wiFi calling on other devices? I

Frequent Visitor

I experience the same problem, which has made wifi calling unusable. When a call drops, a look at this screen shows that XM Wi-Fi has been replaced by Xfinity Mobile. Failures happen even when I am stationary and within 5 feet of my router (very strong wireless signal).

20180510_161432000_iOS.png

New Poster

Did anybody find solution to this problem? We live in an area with weak cell reception and wifi calling was our lifeline. Since we shifted from Verizon to Xfinity, we are having this persistent problem where calls are getting dropped or calls fail very frequently as a result of xfinity mobile dropping from wifi calling mode

Frequent Visitor

I called Comcast to see if anyone was working on this problem. No one is. Not enough people have called to complain about it, so Comcast isn't aware anyone is having a problem with WiFi calls dropping.

New Poster

I am having similar issues, not just at home but when I'm out an about.  It's very annoying when I have to end a call, disable wifi calling and redial to reconnect.  Perhaps there is an effort underway to collect information about this issue?  I hope so.

Official Employee

Hi all.

Can you confirm that the wiFi network that you are connected to when on wiFi calling has a strong signal? Do you have WiFi assist enabled? If you do, the device will automatically use cellular data when WiFi connectivity is low. I would recommend disabling that. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Ken, I can confirm that I have a strong WiFi signal (3 bars out 3). I have never had WiFi assist enabled. Thanks for looking into this.

Official Employee

egertz, OK. What about your OS? Are you up to date?

Frequent Visitor

Yes. iOS 11.3.1
Frequent Visitor

iOS 11.3.1 and XM carrier version 32.1 ...
New Poster

My iphone 6s has had exactly the same issue since switching from verizon. All incoming calls fail, if XM wifi calling is turned on. Tried reset and updated to IOS 11.3.1 to no avail. What gives?

New Poster

I have this exact problem too. WiFi Calling enabled causes dropped calls. Switched from Verizon. This issue has NOTHING to do with wireless network connectivity and everything to do with how the switch is handled by Xfinity. With Verizon I had no problems with either my work or home WiFi with WiFi calling. Now it drops all the time, regardless of what network I’m on. I could be at home, work, or a friends house. I get an incoming call, swipe to answer and the call immediately fails.
Official Employee

Hi all, 

Has anyone had their sim card swapped/replaced? 

KenF

New Poster

I’m in the Xfinity store right now and they are saying the SIM card swap wouldn’t do anything to fix the issue nor does it have anything to do with the problem. They are willing to do it anyway, but are highly skeptical that it will do anything to solve the problem.
New Poster

Xfinity swapped the SIM, will let everyone know in a few days if I still have problems or not.
Frequent Visitor

I too am having the same issue with WiFi calling get dropped right when answering the call, looking forward to hearing if the new SIM card is a solution.
Official Employee

medwards64, any updates? Did the sim swap help?

New Poster

Did the wi-fi assist feature help anything? It takes my wife and me 3-4 tries before actually establishing a connection with one another. 

Official Employee

tylers1, I think wiFi assist wouldn't help. WiFi assist automatically uses cellular data if WiFi strength is poor. This may cause a drop in the call since the network is switching. 

New Poster

Swapping the SIM did not help. I still drop calls, particularly on answer.
Regular Visitor

Following this one. I have had multiple tickets open since March when this started for me. On my 4th SIM card with tier 2 tech after tier 2 tech telling me they would be the one to fix it. Nothing. Phone is unusable in the current state. I have the exact same issue, and my Verizon issued work phone does not do this, while also using WiFi calling. This is a major issue that is holding back Xfinity Mobile from competing in the market with the big boys, in my opinion. Must be resolved. 

New Poster

Having the same issue.  Also, When we leave the house while on a phone call and the Wi-Fi calling is activated the call does not switch over to cellular the call fails.  We will be looking into switching carriers now and would come back when it’s resolved.

Regular Visitor

Bump.

I have the same issues. In fact I just made a seperate thread as I didn't realize this one was here.

At least 25% of all my inbound WiFi calls "answered" result in Call Failed.   

Is there any formal ackowledgement from Comcast that there is an issue? and more important a game plan?

Regular Visitor

Great question! When I speak with them, none of them have ever heard of the issue and that is tier 2 support. They have no idea how to fix. Switching carriers by end of month if no resolution.
New Poster

Just a quick note.  Switched one of my xfinity lines to sprint yesterday.  WiFi calling works perfectly now on the same iPhone SE.  I hate sprint but I need WiFi calling at our location.  I hope xfinity can fix these issues.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Ken or any other Comcast employee have any update on an actionable resolution to all of us having this issue?
Regular Visitor

I also have this exact issue (together with generally poor mobile reception). It’s extremely frustrating. Would love to have a fix before we migrate back to another carrier. We both use iPhone 7 with the latest iOS.
New Poster

Yeah, I'm probably going to switch back to Verizon this week. The slight premium in price is justified in that my phone will actually accept a call.

Regular Visitor

Having the same problem as everyone else in this thread. Wi-Fi calls dropping, even when I'm 10' from the rounter. I have 2 phones with the problem and have called and called support with NO RESULTS. Phone support reps have done all the resets, sim update, etc., etc. They don't have a clue and keep reading the same old script, over and over. 

KenF, what does it take to convince you guys that you have a serious problem with your system? You have multiple identical complaints involving a variety of phone models, and seemingly unique to Xfinity. 

I think I'm going to request a 50% refund of my internet charges back to April and continuing until the problem is resolved. I'm certainly not getting what I'm paying for right now.

Official Employee

Hey all, 

Please send me a private message if you're still having issues with WiFi Calling drops. I've been seeing this a lot of the forums lately, and I'd like to have your issues brought to XFINITY Mobile as necessary. 

KenF

Official Employee

Comcast Ken or any other Comcast employee have any update on an actionable resolution to all of us having this issue?

Hi All, if you're seeing WiFi Calling drops in multiple locations, please try enabling "Prefer WiFi while Roaming" in your device settings and retest. 

KenF

Regular Visitor

"Prefer Wi-fi while roaming" is has been set to on on my phone for quite a while and it appears not to make any difference in dropped calls. 

Official Employee

"Prefer Wi-fi while roaming" is has been set to on on my phone for quite a while and it appears not to make any difference in dropped calls. 

Brucek1, I followed up with you in private message. 

New Poster

I am having the same issue... Never had any issues at the house with Verizon Wireless WiFi calls. When I switched to Xfinity, my WiFi started to calls drop immediately (in addition to cell signal calls, as there is poor reception at my house). The last ticket was raised to Tier 2 and up to Verizon from there. The final verdict, I was told it is not a fixable issue and I needed to decide whether or not I am able to deal with the dropped calls.

Very disappointing, as I never had a problem with Verizon. The issue is how xfinity is handling the WiFi calls...following the issue for a resolution in the near future or I will be switching back to Verizon when my phones are paid off.
New Poster

I am having the same problem. Wi-Fi calling is critical and all my calls fail.
New Poster

Did any one ever find a solution here. I have both att and t mobile phone in house and connected to xfinity WiFi calling. Problem started when I added xFi pods. Now service is terrible. Dropped calls consistently
New Poster

One solution I’ve found on the iPhone is to call using FaceTime audio calls - as opposed to using regular calls. So if I call someone and it drops, I call back using FaceTime audio.

Not sure of a solution on an android device, but perhaps another option would be to use another app with WiFi calling outside of a cell network (Skype?)

Face time audio works on iPhones with no problem tho.
New Poster

Just switched from Verizon last week, both my phone and my wife 845-344-7672 have this problem. Followed the instructions provided in this forum without success.
Frequent Visitor

@AP15LP wrote:
Just switched from Verizon last week, both my phone and my wife 845-344-7672 have this problem. Followed the instructions provided in this forum without success.
Agreed. Any of the solutions given in this thread is Comcast just grasping at straws. XM obviously has a problem with WiFi calling.
New Poster

Has anyone experiencing these issues tried setting the QoS priority for their Wi-Fi Calling enabled device in their router's settings? Of course, if I'm not mistaken, the XFi routers don't have QoS settings, but anyone using a 3rd party modem/router may have the ability to customize QoS settings. If you give highest priority to your device using Wi-Fi Calling and notice any difference in dropped service (or don't) I'd be interested in knowing your results.
New Poster

Hi Ken - any update on this one 7/24/18 and the issue still exsists.
New Poster

My wife and and I are relatively new Xfinity Mobile customers (early July 2018) and we are both experiencing this issue. We cannot call each other due to "call failed" error on both of our phones. We both have iPhone 7 and brand new SIM cards. Any update from Ken or some other Comcast employee on this thread would be greatly appreciated!

New Poster

I have had this issue since getting my phone! It happens nearly each time you awnser the phone please help!

New Poster

I am having the same issue with two seperate phones.  It su-cks because I am missing OT on my job.  Need a fix here.  Tech support said to keep my phone updated and that was it.

New Poster

I was having the same problem and discovered it is their network. They have not set up yet WiFi calling as a priority. The network has cellular as a priority so turn on airplane mode. This will keep it from trying to switch to the cellular and keep you on the WiFI calling feature. Verizon had the same problem in the beginning till they worked with Apple to set up their network priority.
New Poster

Turn on airplane mode while needing the WiFi calling feature. The network is trying to switch to cellular and dropping the call from WiFi. This is cause their network hasn’t been setup for WiFi calling as a priority. Still set up for cellular to kick in as a priority
New Poster

They told me my phone needed to be”realigned” so I shut it off waited a few mins then turned back on now I have a new phone number. I was on with tech support for over an hour and they said it had to be escalated but they can only email them and I would have to wait 24 to 72 hours. Great customer service, yeah no problem, I don’t need my phone for a few days thanks! I have to wait to get my number ported back in then I will switch back to Verizon. I can’t believe these departments can only email each other while the customer suffers.
New Poster

May we please get confirmation that Comcast is dealing with this as a system issue, and an estimate of when the problem can be resolved? I have an iPhone 6 Plus and live in an area with poor signal. Like others, I need WiFi to make and receive calls. But drops are typical despite having strong WiFi connection. All other devices depending on WiFi work fine. Texting on the iPhone is fine. Only the calling function is a problem. Is Comcast willing me to return to Verizon?