Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

For those who have switched from XM to Verizon I’m trying get your feedback on how the unlocking process went. I sent the email to unlock on Monday and I was just told that department is taking longer than usual to complete the process. And this was from someone claiming to be a tier 2 manager but I have my doubts about that. Btw, I currently have no cell service on either phone but they tell me it’s because the porting is in process. Do I just need to wait until the unlock is complete and try the Verizon sims again to activate?

Thank you.
Regular Contributor

@authenticpaul wrote:
The Sprint Kickstarter plan is not widely advertised.
You may have to call or go to a Sprint store to get it.

I see it online. Quite a deal!

To get more bells and whistles like tethering, looks like you need to get into one of the Unlimited/Unlimited Plus plans for $50-$60 per line for 2 lines (gets better for more lines). Still not bad vs. calls getting dropped all the time. 

Isn't our tethering with XM limited?

Regular Contributor

@regor-101 wrote:

Maybe a fix soon? The last update (5/11/19) to the Xfinity Mobile app stated “We did some behind-the scenes work to prepare for some exciting things coming soon!”

Doubtful. Marketing departments rarely promote long overdue bug fixes

New Poster

Mine makes no difference if I use WiFi or not...unable to use the phone. Calls drop and people can’t hear me!
New Poster

I switched from AT&T in Jan 2019 where I was having no problems with dropped calls on cell network or wifi calling using my iphone.  I've had terrible problems with dropped calls from the day I switched over.  When I returned to the Comcast store where I signed up, they did a "network reset" on my phones which made them useable but far from adequate.  Since the rate is so good, I have endured hundreds of "system failure" dropped calls, but I'm running out of patience.  (My wife is about to kill me.)  I turn off the cell radio to force it to stay on wifi which works sometimes, but other times the call will "fail" after a few minutes conversation.  Wifi signal strength has nothing to do with this problem.  Xfinity must be getting the leftovers from Verizon's network.

Regular Contributor

@Incognito110 wrote:

I switched from AT&T in Jan 2019 where I was having no problems with dropped calls on cell network or wifi calling using my iphone.  I've had terrible problems with dropped calls from the day I switched over.  When I returned to the Comcast store where I signed up, they did a "network reset" on my phones which made them useable but far from adequate.  Since the rate is so good, I have endured hundreds of "system failure" dropped calls, but I'm running out of patience.  (My wife is about to kill me.)  I turn off the cell radio to force it to stay on wifi which works sometimes, but other times the call will "fail" after a few minutes conversation.  Wifi signal strength has nothing to do with this problem.  Xfinity must be getting the leftovers from Verizon's network.

Well Xfinity Mobile is nothing more than a Verizon MVNO, like Straight Talk Mobile that you purchase through Walmart. If you notice, many of these MVNOs do not bother to offer WiFi calling at all (maybe because they tested it before roll out). 

A lot of us coming from the Big 4 carriers somehow fell prey to the fabricated story that Xfinity leverages their own WiFi network via their vast network of hotspots. Sure, there’s lots of hotspots, but can anyone figure out how they help with calls? That’s a rhetorical question because they don’t do anything more than any random hotspot does - they feed the call into the Verizon WiFi calling network, which proceeds to intermittently drop our calls because we’re 2nd class citizens. 

So all of us on this forum who inadvertently downgraded from Big 4 providers (given no resolution for over a year) may have to accept there’s no free lunch. 

Regular Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

@Incognito110 wrote:

Well Xfinity Mobile is nothing more than a Verizon MVNO, like Straight Talk Mobile that you purchase through Walmart. If you notice, many of these MVNOs do not bother to offer WiFi calling at all (maybe because they tested it before roll out). 

A lot of us coming from the Big 4 carriers somehow fell prey to the fabricated story that Xfinity leverages their own WiFi network via their vast network of hotspots. Sure, there’s lots of hotspots, but can anyone figure out how they help with calls? That’s a rhetorical question because they don’t do anything more than any random hotspot does - they feed the call into the Verizon WiFi calling network, which proceeds to intermittently drop our calls because we’re 2nd class citizens. 

So all of us on this forum who inadvertently downgraded from Big 4 providers (given no resolution for over a year) may have to accept there’s no free lunch. 

Also, what we are experiencing is a pretty well known problem for MVNOs (interesting reading https://internet-access-guide.com/mvnos-cheaper-more-flexible-alternatives-to-the-big-four/)

• "During times of high usage on the mobile network, priority is often given to the Big Four carrier customers, leaving MVNO customers with degradation of call quality and outages that can be frustrating"

Most MVNOs operate out of tiny storefronts, catering to pre-paid, pay-as-you-go, or even credit-challenged customers. They often create low-budget plans with low usage caps and cheap devices. In other words, they chase business that the Big 4 don't chase, making a good case for their existence.

XM, on the other hand, caters to a huge captive audience that's largely using Big 4 carriers and is maybe looking to expand their double/triple play. By offering a 2nd tier service, it's not shocking a lot of us are disappointed.

With that in mind, it's probably easier to understand why a "fix" will never happen. 

Regular Contributor

Curious, has anyone tried Google Voice with WiFi calling as an alternative? Assuming Google voice over WiFi uses their own network (rather than ours), it might just be reliable.

The downside is you need a 2nd phone number with Google, but I could live with a 2nd number that I use for my business calls.

Regular Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

Curious, has anyone tried Google Voice with WiFi calling as an alternative? Assuming Google voice over WiFi uses their own network (rather than ours), it might just be reliable.

The downside is you need a 2nd phone number with Google, but I could live with a 2nd number that I use for my business calls.

So I was having another bad day with my WiFi calls failing spectacularly -- several drops today, even a drop in airplane mode.

I decided to download Google Voice for the iPhone, selected a new phone number, and configured it so that it "prefers wifi calling." All took about 5 minutes -- and voila, no more dropped calls today!!

Sure, I now have a 2nd number, but I can start telling folks to call me on my more reliable line.

Maybe this nightmare is over for now...  

New Poster

I've had Xfinity for almost two years and have been using WiFi calling in Airplane mode fine until recently.  Have AT&T Wireless plan.  I am on calls for hours at a time and never a dropped call until 2 weeks ago.  Tried resetting phone network settings, reboot router and Xfinity box.  Even got new phone and still calls dropped after 10 min. 

I suspect something was done to my Xfinity box or line 2 weeks ago that caused this to start. 

New Poster

Had AT&T for years and never had dropped call issues on WiFi.  Switched to Xfinity Mobile about 6 months ago and have had more dropped calls then 8 years on AT&T.  I have been reading through this thread and tried several of the fixes and non seem to help.  PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!  If this is not fixed soon I will be switching back to AT&T.

Regular Visitor

I gave up trying to get it fixed. Back on Verizon as of yesterday. I will pay a little more, sure. But my phones will work reliably. Unlike the service I got with XM. Lesson learned for sure. They didn’t even try to convince me to stay. They simple don’t care.
Regular Contributor

All I can say is over the past couple of weeks

• about a dozen dropped calls using XM over WiFi
  • zero dropped calls using Google voice over the same networks 

This result speaks for itself.

It’s a pain having a 2nd line, but for free, it’s nice having a backup line that actually works over WiFi. Not here to promote Google - just offering some help for other frustrated customers. 

Official Employee

Hi All thanks for letting us know about the continuing wiFi calling issues after doing the update. I will report this to engineering ops. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All thanks for letting us know about the continuing wiFi calling issues after doing the update. I will report this to engineering ops. 

Ken,

Can you help us understand how much of this is attributable to simply being deprioritized by the primary mobile carrier? Would like to understand if anyone on your side anticipates a solution or if this is just an accepted tradeoff when using this type of service (MVNO).

Thanks

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Ken,

Can you help us understand how much of this is attributable to simply being deprioritized by the primary mobile carrier? Would like to understand if anyone on your side anticipates a solution or if this is just an accepted tradeoff when using this type of service (MVNO).

Thanks

N4NET, I understand your frustrations and they are valid, but I can't speak to that specifically. We are currently working on the wiFi calling issues customers are experiencing. Truly apologize for this experience so far. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue with dropped wifi calls, however if you switch to airplane mode it forces the phone to use wifi only and it works great.  The only downside is you have to remember to turn it off when go outside (no wifi/hotspot).

Frequent Visitor

As you see from Ken’s reply you will never get an answer from XM why calls are dropping or if they will ever fix it. Just that they know it might be a problem!

I think it is unlikely that it technically has to do with XM being an MVNO since Wi-Fi calling works fine with other MVNOs. But it is pretty certain that the fault is with XM’s programming of their carrier settings and how they handle the handoff between cell service and Wi-Fi. They just have no expertise or desire to invest the resources to fix this.
Regular Contributor

@chrisso wrote:
As you see from Ken’s reply you will never get an answer from XM why calls are dropping or if they will ever fix it. Just that they know it might be a problem!

I think it is unlikely that it technically has to do with XM being an MVNO since Wi-Fi calling works fine with other MVNOs. But it is pretty certain that the fault is with XM’s programming of their carrier settings and how they handle the handoff between cell service and Wi-Fi. They just have no expertise or desire to invest the resources to fix this.

When I looked at other Verizon MVNOs, some don't even offer WiFi calling, so perhaps you mean other carrier MVNOs have great WiFi calling. It could be that Verizon oversubscribes, keeping the MVNO customers at low priority. If we can't get a straight answer on whether this is a problem, then, let's face it, it may just work as designed.

Surely getting Verizon unlimited service at a lower cost through a resellers like XM is too good to be true. I only understand the MVNO business model of selling cheaper phones and carving up smaller service plans for less $$... quite frankly, no other model would make business sense for the carrier.

For me, calls have worked perfectly using Google Voice over WiFi or Facetime Audio. With Google Voice you get a full-fledged phone line (at least domestically) where Google has invested in its own WiFi service -- available for free. That's the only reliable workaround I've found (airplane mode for XM still kicks you off intermittently and is a huge inconvenience).

I agree with your last sentence. If XM owned the WiFi calling network, something could be said about this being a unique hybrid service. Otherwise, this is the same type of cheap cellular service you find at some street corner or shopping mall kiosk -- just dressed up so it doesn't appear as humble.

Having run a few businesses myself, I've spent countless hours scrambling to fix customer issues or at least providing substantive updates and ETAs when I can't get something fixed right away. Given everything I've learned about customer service and the importance of metrics such as NPS, the official responses on this forum absolutely blow my mind -- no disrespect meant to the staff moderating this forum, because I understand it's probably outside of their job grade to help.

Ultimately, I blame myself for this poor decision, because there are only 4 major carriers in the US and I didn't choose one of them. At least I have a short-term fix and a long-term fix -- though I do feel extremely let down by Comcast.

Contributor

I'm not counting it out, but I am skeptical about the MVNO causality theory, simply because my XM service has exceeded my experience with AT&T on every metric except wifi calling. This includes data and call quality everywhere I go (I travel between Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and other Front Range cities daily).

And to be clear, AT&T was pretty decent for me, except for reception at my home. I was also a Verizon customer for years and always found the two companies to be about equivalent in the Front Range. It just doesn't add up for me that the only manifestation of lower MVNO priority I experience is WiFi calling.

Contributor

So now I really don’t get it. After most recent ios update things seemed better and even close to perfect. No dropped calls, XMWifi almost never disappeared. All of a sudden past 3 days this xm nightmare is back. XMWIFI is still on and displaying correctly, but calls drop every time. 5-10 calls before one connects. Doesn’t matter if incoming or outgoing. There has been no changes on my end so must be something they’ve changed.
What are you xm people doing? Whatever you did last few days messed things up big time. Back to square one.
Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

I'm not counting it out, but I am skeptical about the MVNO causality theory, simply because my XM service has exceeded my experience with AT&T on every metric except wifi calling. This includes data and call quality everywhere I go (I travel between Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs, and other Front Range cities daily).

And to be clear, AT&T was pretty decent for me, except for reception at my home. I was also a Verizon customer for years and always found the two companies to be about equivalent in the Front Range. It just doesn't add up for me that the only manifestation of lower MVNO priority I experience is WiFi calling.

Well, if you're comparing AT&T vs. Verizon, Verizon has been rated #1 carrier the past few years. I'd say I've experienced fewer dead spots with the XM service than I had on AT&T. But both are virtually dead at my home, hence my WiFi problem.

That said, I experience infrequent drops on the cellular network with XM, too, but not enough to complain (kind of an offset to the legit dead spot drops on AT&T).

If the WiFi issue is not related to MVNO deprioritization, what else do you think it might be?

1) Bad phone settings - ongoing for 18 months with no solution?

2) iPhone bug - that only occurs with XM?

3) Bad WiFi networks - that work flawlessly with every other voice service?

4) Comcast network issues - that Comcast has shown zero ability to fix?

What other plausible explanations are there?

Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

If the WiFi issue is not related to MVNO deprioritization, what else do you think it might be?

1) Bad phone settings - ongoing for 18 months with no solution?

2) iPhone bug - that only occurs with XM?

3) Bad WiFi networks - that work flawlessly with every other voice service?

4) Comcast network issues - that Comcast has shown zero ability to fix?

What other plausible explanations are there?

That is the million dollar question. My gut still says the problem is bad carrier settings for Apple phones and a lack of internal expertise to fix it. If it were purely a network issue (deprioritization or otherwise), then it should affect Android phones as much as Apple phones. Bad carrier settings still comes closest to satisfying all of the variables, as far as I can tell.

Contributor

What did you do????!!! Dropped calls all the time on airplane mode. COME ON!!!!! It was fixed!
New Poster

I have a lot of dropped calls when I use WiFi calling
Regular Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
What did you do????!!! Dropped calls all the time on airplane mode. COME ON!!!!! It was fixed!

Exactly! This is an intermittent issue that rears it's ugly head randomly -- as a result of an unreliable MVNO WiFi calling service.

Seems Android phones handle the network failures more robustly, but since iPhone works fine on every other WiFi calling network, this will never be fixed by Apple.

XM is mobile phone purgatory!

FWIW, still no drops on Google Voice, so everyone else and their grandmother get WiFi calling that works.

New Poster

Mine does the same thing. Wi-fi drops all the time.
New Poster

Wifi calling absolutely not working on my iPhone 10

-tutn on wifi calling 

go outside wifi

receive phone call

result : call ended 

have to turn off wifi when going put of range 

this problem started 3 months ago

Pretty embarrasing!!!! 

When you going to fix it 

Frequent Visitor

Ever since switching to Xfinity, wifi calling is completely unusable on my iPohone Xs Max. I paid nearly $1500 to not be able to use my phone. There is weak and highly unreliable cellular signal in the area where I work, so I rely on wifi calling. Never had an issue when I was with AT&T, not a single problem.

I have been through every troubleshooting step with various reps, factory reset my phone, set it up as a new phone. I am not new to this technology, but giving Xfinity Mobile the benefit of the doubt here, I have done every thing to get it to work reliably, and it just will not.

This topic goes back at least a year or two, and it really looks like the only way I will be satisfied is to go to another carrier.

Regular Contributor

@rknaub wrote:

Ever since switching to Xfinity, wifi calling is completely unusable on my iPohone Xs Max. I paid nearly $1500 to not be able to use my phone. There is weak and highly unreliable cellular signal in the area where I work, so I rely on wifi calling. Never had an issue when I was with AT&T, not a single problem.

I have been through every troubleshooting step with various reps, factory reset my phone, set it up as a new phone. I am not new to this technology, but giving Xfinity Mobile the benefit of the doubt here, I have done every thing to get it to work reliably, and it just will not.

This topic goes back at least a year or two, and it really looks like the only way I will be satisfied is to go to another carrier.

If you use Google Voice, your wifi calling and regular calling will work great. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Of course, using a 3rd party app and separate phone number to make calls on your new $1500 phone may seem positively dumb, but Comcast has chosen to let this problem continue to fester....

Regular Visitor

I have been dealing withis call failed issue since I got service nearly 2 years ago, I changed while I was out of work and had all sorts of issues answering phone interviews, finaly installed a VOIP deal at home to get by, I otherwise dont get many phone calls. Today I was having internet issues, work from home, so I requested a call from Xfinity, they kept calling but call kept failing, it was comical. This happens no matter waht city I am in, if I have wifi on, etc 

I guess time to take it all back to AT&T, which looks good now, terrible 2 years ago 

Regular Contributor

@WWells wrote:

I have been dealing withis call failed issue since I got service nearly 2 years ago, I changed while I was out of work and had all sorts of issues answering phone interviews, finaly installed a VOIP deal at home to get by, I otherwise dont get many phone calls. Today I was having internet issues, work from home, so I requested a call from Xfinity, they kept calling but call kept failing, it was comical. This happens no matter waht city I am in, if I have wifi on, etc 

I guess time to take it all back to AT&T, which looks good now, terrible 2 years ago 

Of late, WiFi calling has been awful everywhere for me, too. Seems to have gotten worse than before.

Only reason I put up with it is because Google Voice works for important calls.

This service is an utter embarassment and I've really lost respect for Comcast. There's a reason companies should stick to what they can do well.

If there is no improvement, I will be looking at ripping out all 5 of my Comcast services by fall...

New Poster

Hi, my husband and I are having the same issues.  It doesn't matter whether it is an incoming or outgoing call.  Call failure occurs on all calls while at home.  Works fine when away from home wifi.  I was just on the phone with Xfinity on another issue and the call failed 4 times in 20 minutes.  We have very poor cellular coverage where we are, so using wifi calling is very important!

Frequent Visitor

My Wife and I both moved our I Phones to XM from ATT and TM about 2 months ago.  With the original carriers we hardly ever had the dropped call issues (w/ home wifi) we are now currently experiancing.  Our issues mirror most all the other responses found here.  We have radiant barrier roofing on our home and that blocks almost 100% of all cell signals (ATT, Verizon and TM) so wi-fi is esssential for us.  I spoke with tier 1/senior techs with Xfinity Internet, Netgear, Apple and finally 3 different XM Tier 1 reps.  Just about everyone played the "blame game" and insisted the problem was not with their equipment ... until my last call with a senior XM rep.  This last XM rep set us up with a 3-way call to a Verizon Senior Tech.  Here's what transpired.  XM Mobile did not set up wi-fi calling to function unless there was also a corresponding cell signal.  He said that in order to have reliable wi-fi service we must have at least 1 bar, but preferably 2+ bars of cell signal in conjunction with the wi-fi signal.  This may or may not be valid information, but seems plausible and it does explain our situation as when we do have both (when at my kid's houses) service is reliable.  Both the XM and Verizon rep said there are no plans in the near future to "fix" this system issue.  They both actually suggested moving back to one of our old carriers if we need reliable service.  This is very disappointing.

Contributor

This is a joke
Frequent Visitor

Yes, the joke is on those of us who switched to XM and were never told that a cell signal was need along with with a wi-fi signal in order to get reliable service.

@Comcast KenF, can you please address this isssue and let us know if there any plans to correct the flaw in the XM system to allow wi-fi service WITHOUT a cell signal?

Contributor

@aTm79 wrote:

He said that in order to have reliable wi-fi service we must have at least 1 bar, but preferably 2+ bars of cell signal in conjunction with the wi-fi signal.

This doesn't really add up for me. After all, many of us have found WiFi calling to be near flawless in airplane mode (0 bars). While it does seem to otherwise match up with experience (low bars =  unreliable WiFi calling), I have trouble believing this was by design. Sounds more like a customer brush-off from a tech who doesn't really understand the issue himself.

Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

@aTm79 wrote:

He said that in order to have reliable wi-fi service we must have at least 1 bar, but preferably 2+ bars of cell signal in conjunction with the wi-fi signal.

This doesn't really add up for me. After all, many of us have found WiFi calling to be near flawless in airplane mode (0 bars). While it does seem to otherwise match up with experience (low bars =  unreliable WiFi calling), I have trouble believing this was by design. Sounds more like a customer brush-off from a tech who doesn't really understand the issue himself.

Yeah, calls in airplane mode wouldn’t work if they required cellular service. 

Could they mean you need 1-2 bars service to enable WiFi calling?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I think that they were inferring that 2 bars of cell signal was necessary to get reliable service through wi-fi. Unfortunately, we normally get zero bars in house with only an occasional 1 bar if we stand close to an outside wall or window (the curse of tech shield radiant barrier roofing). We did go through the "airplane" mode idea on both I Phone 6's with XM and Apple Techs and neither phone would accept calls (incoming or outgoing) at all in that mode.  Besides having to change over to airplane mode everytime you're in your home should not be necessary as it's not required for either TM or ATT.  Every visitor to our home in the past 2 months has gotten flawless service on our wi-fi (Apple and Android) with multiple carriers without any bars.  Whatever the reason, the problem clearly rests with XM (at least in our case).

Contributor

It’s XM in 100% of cases. They’re idiots if this is true. Makes no sense. WIFI calling is needed when you do not have cell service. If I had 2 bars I would not need WIFI calling.
Frequent Visitor

I agree 100%.  I understand "human error or oversight" is probably the cause of this issue with XM, look stuff happens!  What I am very dissapointed in is the fact that no one from XM will acknowledge the issue exists or does there seem to be any effort on their part to correct this oversight even after it's been brought to their attention over a year ago.  This is inexcusable behavior.

It's my understanding that this forum sight is sponsored by Xfinity.  If so, why has no XM "tech" or employee bothered to comment on this topic.  Hearing "bad news" is better than hearing "no news" on this problem.  XM pull your head out of the sand and just tell us something!!

Regular Visitor

There are actually plenty of replies from xfinity personnel. It is just not very helpful or insightful.
Contributor

^Agreed. Plenty of acknowledgement here and I recieved a phone call acknowledging the issue when I contacted Comcast's president Brian Roberts.

Personally I think that WiFi calling aside, Comcast's overall arch over the last couple of years has been towards greater competence, perhaps driven by increasing competition to traditional cable models and challenges to their regional broadband monopolies by municpalities like mine (we are building out a gigabit fiber network as I type this).

I have mentioned previously that in my experience XM has exceded AT&T's cellular service in every metric other than WiFi calling. I travel between the major cities in my region on a weekly, if not daily basis and have consistently been impressed with this service for both call coverage and data.

Furthermore I believe that Comcast's greater strategy includes building something of a network "ecosystem" in which mobile will play a key role. And of course getting WiFi calling working reliably will help their bottom line significantly by costing them less in leased carrier fees.

With all of these things in mind, I have no reason to doubt that Comcast intends on getting WiFi calling fully operational, though it is confounding that it is taking so long. I don't at all blame anyone for jumping ship for a workable solution, but I also disagree with the futilist attitude of some here who would imply that XM has no intention of fixing this.

Frequent Visitor

I have no doubt that XM will, at some point, address the wi-fi problem and try to correct it.  My issue is that:

1. they have known about this problem since, at least May 2018 and still no resolve.  I agree that is confounding!

2. It took 3 calls to XM support with tier 2 reps before I cound get any kind of acknowledgement that the issue was a problem on their end.  Each previous rep put the issue square on someone else, ie. Apple, Netgear and even Comcast Internet.

3. XM retail personnel, at my local store, claim they had no idea this was an issue.  Had they been informed, they could have made this clear when signing up new customers for service.

4. I cannot understand why there has been no official "progress update" from Comcast as to where they are at in correcting this issue and what their estimated timeline is for solving it.  Again, bad news is better than no news at all.

My guess is that the problem just does not affect enough of their customer base at this time to devote the resources necessary to quickly identify and correct this flaw.

Contributor

Yeah, my comment about Comcast upping their competence doesn't really apply to customer support! It's really frustrating that their support doesn't seem to be aware at all - there's a big disconnect between those who know there's a problem and the majority of support who put customers needlessly through support steps that are stressful and unnecessary.

And you're right - they should know about this at retail. There's a real left hand/right hand disconnect there.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

In all fairness, my experience has been:

Google Voice works flawlessly over WiFi

FaceTime audio works flawlessly over WiFi

AT&T works flawlessly over WiFi

According to posts here:

Every other carrier works flawlessly over WiFi

There's just no excuse for 1.5yrs of shoulder shrugging as to why XM doesn't work over WiFi. I don't blame the service folks, because clearly there is nothing to report. The blame lands squarely on the product folks for not fixing it and management for choosing to ignore it.

Don't care how much better mobile service is. When you have to keep explaining to people that your phone keeps dropping calls while stationary at home, it starts to sound downright stupid.

Makes us all look pretty dumb when a supermarket-bought pay-as-you-go phone gets better service than we do...

Frequent Visitor

Killeen, for what it's worth your post here is literally an exact "mirror" of what my wife and I experience at home with our I-Phone 6's.  Even down to running my own cable as well.

It's a real bummer!!

New Poster

I am having the dropped call issue on an iPhone Xr
Frequent Visitor

Same issue after just switching 2 lines from T Mobile. One iPhone X works perfectly, the other has “call failed” on majority of calls, and doesn’t ring when another phone tries to call it. Tried iTunes restore, still having problem. Please fix this ASAP. Google voice, FaceTime audio, and my work Verizon phone WiFi calling don’t do this. Will have to switch back to T Mobile for personal lines unless we can get this phone to work.
Regular Contributor

@sbb7 wrote:
Same issue after just switching 2 lines from T Mobile. One iPhone X works perfectly, the other has “call failed” on majority of calls, and doesn’t ring when another phone tries to call it. Tried iTunes restore, still having problem. Please fix this ASAP. Google voice, FaceTime audio, and my work Verizon phone WiFi calling don’t do this. Will have to switch back to T Mobile for personal lines unless we can get this phone to work.

What? You have an iPhone that works perfectly? Seriously? If you could somehow donate it to science, maybe we can clone it.

I haven't heard anyone with an iPhone that works under the circumstances we've been describing here. Some folks report varying degrees of improvement using airplane mode, but never heard of any iPhone working perfectly.

Are you sure you have poor cellular signal at home and get drops on WiFi only on the other phone?