Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Contributor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

@nine00 wrote:

This seems to be a hand-off issue between cellular and wi-fi.  I have been getting more frequent dropped outgoing calls and call failure incoming calls recently.  I turned off cellular and left wi-fi on and no dropped calls, in or out.  

This is not ideal, but can be a temporary work around until Xfinity decides to fix this issue.  

Pretty sad that this bug has not been fixed for over a year.

It behaves like a handoff issue, but I suspect a prioritization issue with the provider -- makes sense that we are low on the provider's priority list and the first to be dropped. Why Android phones tend to be more robust is an interesting question...

New Poster

Just bought iPhone XS Max getting dropped phone calls my Samsung note 9 Was Way better what is the problem
Regular Visitor

Oh dear. Read the thread and try a few of the recommended settings. Several folks reported that turning on airplane mode helped with WiFi calling.
New Poster

We recently got the newest Xfi modem and upgraded the speed and ever since that my phone calls (coming through xfinity voip) keep getting dropped. Never had this issue before we got this modem. Please help. It's so annoying.

Contributor

@SueP1 wrote:

We recently got the newest Xfi modem and upgraded the speed and ever since that my phone calls (coming through xfinity voip) keep getting dropped. Never had this issue before we got this modem. Please help. It's so annoying.

Kind of sounds like you're talking about your home phone service via Xfinity VoIP - is that right? If so, that's a different issue than what is being discussed on this thread and should be address this with Comcast tech support - clearly something went wrong with the upgrade/install that can be corrected. This thread is about the WiFi calling feature on cell phones not working correctly with Xfinity Mobile. 

Sorry if my assumption is wrong, but your mention of VoIP and that it was working fine before the new router suggests that you're not talking about WiFi calling.

Contributor

@SueP1 wrote:

My phone has been much better since I disconnected from the Xfi modem and used my 2.4Ghz router instead (hardwired to my Xfi modem). The Xfi modem will connect you to 5Ghz if you use the default configuration, which was flaky for my voice calls.

Still think there is a network contention issue with the provider, which makes this whole problem very intermittent, time and location-specific -- but connecting to a 2.4Ghz reliable Wifi made a big difference for me.

(unless you're talking landline calls like the above post suggest)

New Poster

Xfinity recommended I wipe my phone and restore it. I unwillingly did as they recommended. 6 hours later (I have 9,000 songs ripped from my CDs.). After an aggravating fight wth iTunes I was finally able to restore my phone and the VZW WiFi text on the top left is still not working. I will be requesting a replacement phone. I hope they are cooperative as I will have to invest another 6 hours on replacement phone. 

This is should work seamlessly as it does on my friend’s iPhone. $1,000 for this phone should guarantee simple functions like this should work. 

PS: I did try the 2.5 ghz as you recommended but still no luck.  Good luck with yours and thanks for the post. 

New Poster

Why would I ever want to do that. Hope this was a joke. 

New Poster

Problem with Verizon VOIP is with both original modem and X5 modem. I will be requesting a new phone (unfortunately a refurb) from Apple. I don’t think it has anything to do with Comcast. It’s an Apple problem. 

Regular Visitor

Dropped calls with my iPhone as well ever since switching to Xfinity Mobile. Never a problem with Verizon.
Typical lousy Xfinity customer care.
I suppose the old saying “You get what you pay for” applies here!
Contributor

@CarlosMG wrote:

Xfinity recommended I wipe my phone and restore it. I unwillingly did as they recommended. 6 hours later (I have 9,000 songs ripped from my CDs.). After an aggravating fight wth iTunes I was finally able to restore my phone and the VZW WiFi text on the top left is still not working. I will be requesting a replacement phone. I hope they are cooperative as I will have to invest another 6 hours on replacement phone. 

This is should work seamlessly as it does on my friend’s iPhone. $1,000 for this phone should guarantee simple functions like this should work. 

PS: I did try the 2.5 ghz as you recommended but still no luck.  Good luck with yours and thanks for the post. 

BTW, I'm not saying that the 2.4Ghz fixed the problem for me. Still getting drops, but less frequent. Since the drops happen on my and my wife's phone, I'm pretty certain it's not a faulty phone.

Also, since it doesn't happen when I'm on wifi in less populated regions, I assume it's poor QOS with our provider when we contend with premium customers. And since Comcast isn't fixing it, it may just be working as designed.

Contributor

@authenticpaul wrote:
Dropped calls with my iPhone as well ever since switching to Xfinity Mobile. Never a problem with Verizon.
Typical lousy Xfinity customer care.
I suppose the old saying “You get what you pay for” applies here!

As a small consolation, you do get this support group at no extra cost...

Regular Visitor

True enough!
Regular Contributor

Add my name to the list. 

My behavior (iPhone 6, IOS 12) is exactly the same where I see the XM Wi-Fi logo, and when the call is dropped I looked and the XM WiFi has been replaced by Xfinity Mobile.  I did not have any issues initially with this (6 months member now, from Verizon), but now it happens on a daily basis practically, ramped up in the last few weeks. 

Frequent Visitor

I have been struggling with the same problem for 6 months now (as soon as I switched my whole family from Verizon to Xfinity, that is when the problem started):
Dropped calls for all the iPhones (we all have an iPhone10S):
* Settings>Phone>WiFi Calling:
Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone is ON

Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming is ON

* Settings>Cellular>

Wi-Fi Assist is OFF

* SIM card has been replaced TWICE (doesn't make a difference)

* Xfinity profile has been installed THREE TIMES (doesn't make a difference)
* Tried it in Airplane mode (of course making sure that Wi-Fi is turned on) (doesn't make a difference)
* Tried it with just turning Cellular Data completely OFF (doesn't make a difference)

So I got off the phone (I have had about half a dozen hour-long sessions with Xfinity, and 3 long sessions with Apple), and the recommendation is now to backup the phone (My phone is backed up automatically to the Cloud, every day), do a factory reset, and then restore my phone...

I checked this thread, and saw that people had the same recommendation, but... it didn't make a difference...

Clearly, given the volume of people that have the problem, and all of use had a carier before Xfinity where we did NOT have the problem, it is an Xfinity issue.

Which has not been resolved for over a year now??? Time to go back to Verizon (they politely told me that they were sorry to see me go after 20 years, but they were pretty sure I would be back...).

Contributor

I’ve tried everything as well. In my case factory reset made no difference whatsoever. NOTHING WORKS
Regular Visitor

Clearly it’s some sort of issue with the iPhone iOS or the phone itself and a conflict with the Xfinity Mobile network.
Frequent Visitor

Its pretty hopeless that Xfinity will ever fix this. If a problem exists this long and it’s not fixed then it probably won’t be. Either Xfinity doesn’t care or they are technically incapable. Either way, live with it or switch.

I have 3 lines with them and have moved the first one back to T-Mobile. It feels so good to no longer worry about this issue when making a call!
Contributor

@flandraco wrote:

So I got off the phone (I have had about half a dozen hour-long sessions with Xfinity, and 3 long sessions with Apple), and the recommendation is now to backup the phone (My phone is backed up automatically to the Cloud, every day), do a factory reset, and then restore my phone...

I checked this thread, and saw that people had the same recommendation, but... it didn't make a difference...

Whether or not Xfinity can actually fix this issue, they definitely can and should stop giving this particular piece of horrible advice to their customers. It is not a minor undertaking and there is no good reason to put a customer through it when there is a known issue at hand. Somebody at Comcast has to communicate this to their lower tier tech support.

It seems like XM is stuck and I have to wonder if they are working on this at all at this point or if their engineers are sitting on their hands at this point. I wrote a polite email to Comcast's president about the issue and quickly received a phone call back assuring me that the issue is known and being worked on, but that was two months ago. I'm I'm not sure where the block is in getting this done, but perhaps more people emailing Comcast's executives will help direct some attention where it needs to be.

Contributor

Agreed, we all should write and let them know we are not ok with paying for services that are not working properly.
Regular Visitor

Appreciate that suggestion. This is an Xfinity hosted forum so we are basically doing that here.
The only real leverage is to switch mobile service and tell lots of people of your poor experience with Xfinity.

New Poster

i have three lines that i ported from ATT. In all fairness i think that i was having issues with wifi calling on ATT as well and this was an expensive unlimited plan. With the Xfinity Mobile, things are worse but it is much cheaper. I have better luck just staying on the cell signal and keeping wi-fi calling off despite the signal from the two nearest cell towers being abysmal. Better yet i am thinking of making google voice my primary number and using the xfinity as my backup. Sigh! if only wifi calling worked. 

New Poster

I’ve had issues with this also. Try turning off cellular when you’re connected to WiFi. This has temporarily fixed my problems. Downside is that you have to remember to switch cellular back on when you’re not in range of WiFi.

Basically, make sure to only have one option turned on, WiFi or cellular.
New Poster

I’ve got the same problem. If I activate Wi-Fi calling I experience “Call Failures” on and off wi-fi. It’s not call drop, it’s call failure. Never even get the chance to say hello. Just fails as soon and I accept the call.

I really need a solution to this!!! I left AT&T and never had an issue.

My XM service/coverage otherwise is waaaay better than AT&T.
Contributor

@nine00 wrote:
I’ve had issues with this also. Try turning off cellular when you’re connected to WiFi. This has temporarily fixed my problems. Downside is that you have to remember to switch cellular back on when you’re not in range of WiFi.

Basically, make sure to only have one option turned on, WiFi or cellular.

I think your mileage may vary on this solution.

For many of us, locking your phone into WiFi will keep it from switching over to poor cellular service (which can be frustrating when call quality goes bad and/or drops from lack of signal), but will not prevent the WiFi drops which, in my experience, seem to happen more in busier metro areas where there is perhaps more contention for the service and we get kicked off. It also appears that once the iPhone gets kicked off of WiFi, it will take a while before it switches back to WiFi.

I'm guessing Android tends to be a bit more resilient and does a good job masking this.

So your options are:

1) Switch to Android

2) Find the right combination of settings that make the experience somewhat bearable for you (YMMV)

3) Move (not realistic, but can be a night/day difference)

4) Change providers

5) Keep waiting

Frequent Visitor

ANNOTATION ON MAR.22/2019 (ORIGINAL POST: MAR.13/2019):
Please ignore the advise. Or read it, but don't count on it being the solution.
After about one week of no dropped calls... I'm back to dropped calls.  I'm not sure about the frequency yet, but annoying enough to rescind my advice...
Back to talking to support... or switching back to Verizon.
END OF ANNOTATION

After more than 6 months of talking to support people, I finally found one person (Cristel) who is aware of the problem (unbelievable that most support people at Xfinity are not), and even has a work around that SEEMS to work for me...:
1. Only Enable your phone to use WiFi calling when you are in a place with good cellular coverage... It is essential that the phone can communicate with the carier while you’re setting up that feature. Note that the cellular coverage is ONLY required while you're enabling WiFi. Once WiFi is enabled, your set, and WiFi calling should work even in places without any cellular coverage.
2. While you're still with Cellular coverage, provide a correct address for the “Emergency Address”. Use https://tools.usps.com/go/zip-code-lookup.htm to find your correct address, and provide that LITERALLY to your phone (only 5 digits for Zip Code though, the 4 digits corresponding to the delivery route won’t be accepted).

3. Call Xfinity support, and try to get your issue escalated to tier 2: they must not only enable your phone for WiFi calling, but they also need to enable 2 other features:

3.1 “4G IP Pool”

3.2 “iPhone Custom Special APN provisioning”

Those last two features were not enabled for my iPhone, and since they have been enabled, I seem to be in business: no Call Failures/dropped calls anymore....

Regular Visitor

Thanks for this information.
Hope it fixes things!
Contributor

@flandraco If I'm reading you correctly, you would still have issues holding a wifi call in a low carrier signal area. Is that right?

Regular Visitor

This may work for you, but the reason I chose XFINITY mobile is that I have NO cell service in my house. I must keep my phone in a window sill in the back of the house and even then I get one bar. I can go outside to sometimes get two bars, but who wants to do that in the winter months or when it’s raining? I’m happy that you found a solution, but many of us are still having problems.

Contributor

@BigDogsMom wrote:

This may work for you, but the reason I chose XFINITY mobile is that I have NO cell service in my house. I must keep my phone in a window sill in the back of the house and even then I get one bar. I can go outside to sometimes get two bars, but who wants to do that in the winter months or when it’s raining? I’m happy that you found a solution, but many of us are still having problems.

Are you not using wifi calling with airplane mode when at home? For many (myself included) this has been flawless.

Frequent Visitor

@FourOnSix wrote:

@flandraco If I'm reading you correctly, you would still have issues holding a wifi call in a low carrier signal area. Is that right?

That's not the way I read his post. I read it as you should be in an area with a strong carrier signal when you enable wi-fi calling. Once enabled, it should work even in a low carrier signal area. I think he was saying that you need a strong carrier signal to complete the setup of wi-fi calling.

Contributor

@emg50 wrote:

That's not the way I read his post. I read it as you should be in an area with a strong carrier signal when you enable wi-fi calling. Once enabled, it should work even in a low carrier signal area. I think he was saying that you need a strong carrier signal to complete the setup of wi-fi calling.

That's pretty enticing if true. I hope @flandraco can verify this. And then figure out how to disseminate this information throughout XM support!

Contributor

@flandraco wrote:

After more than 6 months of talking to support people, I finally found one person (Cristel) who is aware of the problem (unbelievable that most support people at Xfinity are not), and even has a work around that SEEMS to work for me...:
1. Only Enable your phone to use WiFi calling when you are in a place with good cellular coverage... It is essential that the phone can communicate with the carier while you’re setting up that feature.
2. Provide a correct address for the “Emergency Address”. Use https://tools.usps.com/go/zip-code-lookup.htm to find your correct address, and provide that LITERALLY to your phone (only 5 digits for Zip Code though, the 4 digits corresponding to the delivery route won’t be accepted).

3. Call Xfinity support, and try to get your issue escalated to tier 2: they must not only enable your phone for WiFi calling, but they also need to enable 2 other features:

3.1 “4G IP Pool”

3.2 “iPhone Custom Special APN provisioning”

Those last two features were not enabled for my iPhone, and since they have been enabled, I seem to be in business: no Call Failures/dropped calls anymore....

This is helpful.

I really can't imagine where you enable WiFi calling (I notice it fails to enable without a cellular signal) or the emergency address have any impact on call drops.

But 3.1 & 3.2 could have an impact.

This would be a good place for the Comcast experts monitoring this thread to chime in...

Frequent Visitor

Now that I am sure many users are calling tier 2 support to ask about this potential fix, please tell your tier 2 agent about this forum and get them to put the url and forum name in the report about your call. The more this is highlighted the more folks will take it seriously.......we hope.
Frequent Visitor

Best thing I did was drop Xfinity Mobile and switched to Verizon. Stop kidding yourself that Xfinity Mobile will fix this issue considering they have failed to even state it is problem and that they are "unaware" of any issues.

Contributor

@nich0142 wrote:

Best thing I did was drop Xfinity Mobile and switched to Verizon. Stop kidding yourself that Xfinity Mobile will fix this issue considering they have failed to even state it is problem and that they are "unaware" of any issues.

XM has acknowledged the issue officially on this thread and beyond. Also, Verizon had this issue at one point themselves and resolved it. Besides those things, your post was very helpful.

Frequent Visitor

No, you don't need cellular coverage to enjoy WiFi calling: according to the support person, you only need to be in cellular coverage at the time you enable WiFi calling. Once this is done, you’re set, and you can make your calls over WiFi, even if there is no cellular coverage (as is the case in my home). I still am making and receiving calls without drops now.

Frequent Visitor

Right: I have no cellular coverage at my home (I live in the Santa Cruz mountains)... So I drove into the village, where there is cellular coverage, and enabled WiFi while I had coverage. I also entered the "correct" emergency address at that time (I was told that even the case matters; which I doubt, but I just dutyfully followed the instructions).
The most interesting thing is the two features that their 2nd tier support has to enable for this all to work (why doesn't Xfinity know about this, and just apply it to all phones that they have under contract?).

Anyway, I am still making phonecalls over WiFi at my home now, without a single dropped call... Fingers crossed.

Frequent Visitor

Correct, I have no cellular service at my home.

You only need to have cellular coverage the single time that you enable WiFi, and then you're set.

I had tried Airplane mode, didn't work for me: my iPhone simply refused to stay latched onto a WiFi signal, when trying to make the call.
Since I had the two extra features enabled on my phone, the problem seems to be resolved...

Contributor

I talked to tier 2 support today, had both features turned on. Unfortunatly 1hr later 'call failed’. Thanks for the info but this fix did not work for me.
Highlighted
Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
I talked to tier 2 support today, had both features turned on. Unfortunatly 1hr later 'call failed’. Thanks for the info but this fix did not work for me.

Anyone have any luck with this? I haven't called to try yet.

New Poster

Still having the problems

Contributor

Waste of time
Regular Contributor

@BigDogsMom  - Did you try his solution??  Those tier 2 support items look promising. 

Everyone that tries the #3.1 and #3.2 changes that Tier 2, please report your success/failure after this change.   Some folks have done so already.  keep it coming!

Contributor

The only thing that works at this time seems to be putting your phone in airplane mode when you are in your area that you want to use the WiFi connection where the cell signal is weak.

If you use with cell service on the phone in the miccle of your call will reach out randomly and find what it sees as a better signal (or maybe simply a different signal) and your call drops.

Airplane mode I can stay connected.

PIA to have to keep switching but it works.

Only weak cell service area seem affected.

New Poster

I have the same problem and it has always worked before! We have no cell service here. I turned off WiFi assist.... did not help. Very Frustrating!!!!
Frequent Visitor

I also phoned tier 2 support and requested the recommended changes to my account.  One of the changes had already been made, but they did the second one as well.  Unfortunately, while the rep was cool and seemed helpful, I have noticed no changes and both my wife and I have continued to drop calls both while on wifi and not on wifi.  This has gone on for far too long without any resolution and we are considering switching as well.  

Contributor

Told you and I’ll say it again. Waste of time!
I have tried literally everything with our phones and the network/wifi. Many calls and techs working on it. Nothing works, and the fact that they just blow us off like that is simply unbelievable. We are paying customers and we are paying for this service. Yes someone will now post that we can always switch. But come on! No updates, no solutions, no communication, no sorry. NOTHING!? What is this?
Contributor

Today was an awful day for me. Call drops on Wifi (had to go to airplane mode to get some sanity) and two call drops on celular while driving (not in a dead zone) from land line calls. To me, it seems like the issues are the network, plain and simple.

Contributor

That’s the thing. It seems to be getting worse instead of better. This is all happening while still...no solution and or apology from the company. Condescending responses/ comments (if any) from the staff/admins offering no explanation or advice.