Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Official Employee

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

@UnhappyExATT - As I have mentioned before - we monitor the thread. I haven't posted any updates since I got feedback that I should post only if I have any news. However, it doesn't mean that I forgot about the issue and/or I ignore it. I did mention that I involved management and I'm trying to get a resolution for the WiFi calling issue. If you have any questions regarding Forum Guidelines - please don't hesitate to reach me or ComcastJessie (community manager) in PM. Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

<Edited for violating forum guidelines> While my phone keeps saying ‘call failed’

Regular Visitor

I switched from AT&T to xfinity mobile and probably the WORST decision ever!  I'ver read through everyone's posts here and I have the same issue.  Their customer service is HORRENDOUS!  I've tried to get this forum to their attention and they don't give a rat's a**.

I have spent countless hours with their Tier 1 and Tier 2 customer support.  Tier 1 thinks they can fix the problem and takes 20-30 minutes trying to get me to Tier 2 after several requests on my end to just transfer me to Tier 2 and skip Tier 1 all together.  I have several case numbers going but NOT one person ever gets back to me.  I've also requested to have Tier 3 customer support to work on to this issue.  Again, I've never heard back from Xfinity.

So I've tried all the xfinity support "recommendations".  Reset the network, toggle to/from airplane mode,  restore my phone to factory settings (per Apple support), reboot my phone, router and modem, all others everyone here has tried.  Xfinity has gone as far as telling that I need a newer phone, use their router and other  Xfinity equipment.  Sorry but my phone worked just fine with AT&T and I'm not spending $800 just cause you said so.  If you can't get this to work, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

But I think my last Tier 2 rep may have found a solution.  At least I have not received a "Call Failed" message in the last 3 days.

I use an Arris Xfinity modem with a disabled router, Orbi router, and iphone 6.  All I did was enable the router on the Arris modem and "unhide" the Wifi so it appears in the list of available networks.  It took several hours before I can see it on the list but once it did, I've been receiving calls without the "Call Failed" message.

Hope this works for you guys.  Sorry for the long rant just for a simple solution. I hope Xfinity reads this and improve their customer support because I have other issues with them besides this one.  One down, 2 to go.

Contributor

I would bet that 99% of the people posting here already have their networks un-hidden (SSID is broadcasting), as this is the default on pretty much every router.

Please do post back and let us know if the fix holds up for you or not.

Contributor

You are 100% correct about customer service and support. I am trying to find answers here because just a thought of calling them again for help is giving me chills. Tier 1 should be tier -1.
Keeping this formu alive is our best bet. Other than switching service of course
Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

I would bet that 99% of the people posting here already have their networks un-hidden (SSID is broadcasting), as this is the default on pretty much every router.

Please do post back and let us know if the fix holds up for you or not.

Agreed. I have the latest/greatest modem running 1Gbit download/35Mbit upload with SSID exposed and still get the intermittent drops or the phone preferring a weak cell signal. Locking the phone in airplane mode while home is better (still not perfect), but I constantly forget to turn cellular on when I leave and miss more calls.

Given the intermittent nature of the problem, I would wait at least a week before declaring anything a success -- but, in fairness, that fix is unlikely to help any of us.

New Poster

Same issue here. Switched to XM from ATT. WiFi calling worked flawlessly on ATT. Ported one phone, purchased other from Xfinity. Both iPhones. Both have same issues when calling from WiFi. We only have one bar of cell at our home. Very strong wifi, 300Mbs, good coverage throughout home. Used ATT with same wifi, no problems. ATT Carrier settings allowed you to move from cell to wifi but would not move call from wifi back to cellular.

Calls Fail when initiating call.  Call drops during conversation on most calls from WiFi.

Surprised this is happening since XM says they will move your call to hotspot to save on cost.

Regular Contributor

@Boinga wrote:

Same issue here. Switched to XM from ATT. WiFi calling worked flawlessly on ATT. Ported one phone, purchased other from Xfinity. Both iPhones. Both have same issues when calling from WiFi. We only have one bar of cell at our home. Very strong wifi, 300Mbs, good coverage throughout home. Used ATT with same wifi, no problems. ATT Carrier settings allowed you to move from cell to wifi but would not move call from wifi back to cellular.

Calls Fail when initiating call.  Call drops during conversation on most calls from WiFi.

Surprised this is happening since XM says they will move your call to hotspot to save on cost.

Yes, it's infuriating. I had several call drops yesterday on wifi, even after switching to airplane mode. XM would do well to admit wifi calling is a beta feature on the iphone when using their service (dumb as that sounds).

Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

Yes, it's infuriating. I had several call drops yesterday on wifi, even after switching to airplane mode. XM would do well to admit wifi calling is a beta feature on the iphone when using their service (dumb as that sounds).

I still think your issue sounds a little different from the others. From what I've gleaned, most people have found wifi calling to be flawless in airplane mode. This is certainly the case for me. I have to wonder about your wifi or wan network contributing to the issue - again, not the part where it tries to switch to cellular, but the part where it is unable to sustain a call in airplane mode.

Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

@N4NET wrote:

I still think your issue sounds a little different from the others. From what I've gleaned, most people have found wifi calling to be flawless in airplane mode. This is certainly the case for me. I have to wonder about your wifi or wan network contributing to the issue - again, not the part where it tries to switch to cellular, but the part where it is unable to sustain a call in airplane mode.

I suppose my network could be bad. I have the New Xfinity branded modem with my gigabit service and connect directly to that wifi network -- I don't recall ever having this problem with AT&T FWIW.

Should I be running diagnostics maybe?

Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

I suppose my network could be bad. I have the New Xfinity branded modem with my gigabit service and connect directly to that wifi network -- I don't recall ever having this problem with AT&T FWIW.

The fact that you didn't have issues with AT&T wifi calling makes this trickier, but the fact that both of your phones are having the issue still points toward your network. Would it be practical/possible for you to test wifi calling with airplane mode on other people's networks?

Do you have a service contract with Comcast? In the past I've found that their technicians can find hardware issues inside and outside your house that could contribute to such issues.

Contributor

I bet anything it has nothing to do with any network. We have 2 iphones, mine is working fine and my wife’s drops calls and has call fail all the time. Airplane mode no airplane mode it doesn’t matter. If we use FaceTime audio when call failed on XM wifi it works perfect. Never had any of these issues when using wifi calling with ATT on same wifi. How could any of this possibly be network issue??
Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

@N4NET wrote:

The fact that you didn't have issues with AT&T wifi calling makes this trickier, but the fact that both of your phones are having the issue still points toward your network. Would it be practical/possible for you to test wifi calling with airplane mode on other people's networks?

Do you have a service contract with Comcast? In the past I've found that their technicians can find hardware issues inside and outside your house that could contribute to such issues.

I took a look at my wifi channels and noticed both the 2.4 and 5Ghz were set manually to fixed channels -- I also took a look at the spectrum analyzer and noticed my neighbors networks and there were quite a few on the same channels.

So I changed the channels on both networks to auto (which supposedly lets the modem/router choose what's best available) and I restarted Wifi. It looks like it grabbed a different channel for the 5Ghz band - 36

At least I feel like I did something...

Does anyone have best practices for these settings?

2019-02-08_214712.png

Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
How could any of this possibly be network issue??

There are all sorts of network issues that could result in dropped WiFi calls... wireless interference, bad connectors, line noise, faulty networking equipment, etc. The fact that you and your wife are getting different results from each other would seem to indicate that the network isn't at fault in your case, but that doesn't mean the network couldn't be at fault for someone else.

@N4NET - Changing the wifi channel is always a good idea, as some wireless interference can affect some channels but not others. Otherwise, your network settings look fine.

New Poster

Yes, picking a channel that doesn't have much competition from the neighbors  or other equipement you own is a good idea and setting it to manual rather than automatic will keep it on that channel. 

2.4 Ghz will be slower than 5 Ghz, but covers more distance. Can't hurt to try each one and tell your phone to "forget" the old WiFi connection so it can remake it anew. 

Perhaps another thing to try (as a test) is setting security/encryption to None if you're in a rural area where security isn't an issue. Again, you may need to tell your phone to "forget" the old connection each time you change that setting. If it works, you could try one of the other security settings your router/gateway offers. 

As others have mentioned, sometimes a different WiFi router will work better, as not every router/gateway/mobile device manufacturer adheres to the standards as they should. 

Frequent Visitor

My problems also started when I switched to the pods from net gear. My wife and I both have iPhone 8’s with Verizon, and we both have frequent dropped calls on Xfinity WiFi calling. It requires reconnecting every time we move from 1 pod to another. The worst thing is my office has the modem and router about 2 feet from my desk. Every single time I leave my office and return from another room on one of the pods, I must reconnect. If I move to a pod area of the house from my office, I must reconnect. Even texts fail, although the phone shows I’m connected to WiFi calling. I am beyond frustrated!

Frequent Visitor

@philharveyjr, That's a completely different and known issues with the WiFi standard and especially the Iphone Firmware. The Iphone seems to hold on and not change access points as quickly as android, or other devices like my laptop in my opinion. Though all client devices currently have this issue, and it's becoming even more frustrating in homes or businesses that use mesh or multiple access points. 

The WiFi standard is addressing this but it's taking time with features like bandsteering, and rules for all clients to follow based on signal strength. 

As of now the best course of action is to take the time to critically setup your WiFi network in your home based on potential interference and signal strength with a WiFi analyzer. Many people think adding additional pods all over will help the issue but it actually hurts. You actually want the pods or access points in locations where the signal from another pod or access point is considered moderate to poor.  This will increase the chances the client(phone, computer etc) will transition properly between router, and different pods/access points. Even if you do that there are times the Iphone will hold on too long and will need to toggle on/off to rediscover. 

Regular Contributor

@Moarphone wrote:

Yes, picking a channel that doesn't have much competition from the neighbors  or other equipement you own is a good idea and setting it to manual rather than automatic will keep it on that channel. 

2.4 Ghz will be slower than 5 Ghz, but covers more distance. Can't hurt to try each one and tell your phone to "forget" the old WiFi connection so it can remake it anew. 

Perhaps another thing to try (as a test) is setting security/encryption to None if you're in a rural area where security isn't an issue. Again, you may need to tell your phone to "forget" the old connection each time you change that setting. If it works, you could try one of the other security settings your router/gateway offers. 

As others have mentioned, sometimes a different WiFi router will work better, as not every router/gateway/mobile device manufacturer adheres to the standards as they should. 

After a couple of days, I can say none of this channel adjustment has helped me (unless my xfinity router is broken). Wifi calling is still completely unreliable as is my cellular service at home. 

Contributor

So we tested everything and nothing makes sense. On top of that my phone is doing the same thing, not just my wife’s as I previously thought. As of now our cell signal on 1 bar so more reliable than wifi calling. As long as we shut wifi calling off no more call failed. Still will sometimes miss a call since there is a few no signal spots around the house so not ideal solution. As far as failing XM WIFI calling, if it’s wifi related, why does FaceTime audio work perfect with no issues?? Why was WIFI calling flawless with ATT on the exact same wifi/router/provider?? Wouldn’t this rule it out?
Frequent Visitor

Tried it...no success. 

Regular Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

@Moarphone wrote:

After a couple of days, I can say none of this channel adjustment has helped me (unless my xfinity router is broken). Wifi calling is still completely unreliable as is my cellular service at home. 

So I connected my phone to my Dlink 2.4Ghz Wifi router (instead of the Comcast Wifi) and it behaves much better now. If one day is any indicator, that is... I'll have to report back later.

Contributor

So I connected my phone to my Dlink 2.4Ghz Wifi router (instead of the Comcast Wifi) and it behaves much better now. If one day is any indicator, that is... I'll have to report back later.

Interesting, please do report back.

Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
So we tested everything and nothing makes sense. On top of that my phone is doing the same thing, not just my wife’s as I previously thought. As of now our cell signal on 1 bar so more reliable than wifi calling. As long as we shut wifi calling off no more call failed. Still will sometimes miss a call since there is a few no signal spots around the house so not ideal solution. As far as failing XM WIFI calling, if it’s wifi related, why does FaceTime audio work perfect with no issues?? Why was WIFI calling flawless with ATT on the exact same wifi/router/provider?? Wouldn’t this rule it out?

Perhaps I missed something (always possible), but I don't think anybody is telling you that your problem is wifi-related. Actually I told you it didn't sound like that's the case for you. I've indicated that it seemed @N4NET's issue was wifi-related (and that this was different than most people's issues), but it almost seems like you read those posts and get frustrated as if I'm talking to you.

About that... multiple question marks tend to denote anger and frustration, which makes people (me, at least) feel less inclined to engage.

I don't know that the problem is in your case. With limited information, the fact that your wife's phone is having issues and your phone is not would seem to indicate her phone as the culprit. If it were a network issue it would likely affect both phones. Same goes for if the problem were the Xfinity service (with airplane mode on).

I know you said that her phone worked with AT&T wifi calling, but this could be a software glitch. If it were me, I would back up the wife's iPhone, reset it to factory settings, and restore it from the backup. I don't know a lot about the underlying technology, but Facetime audio is a different beast than wifi calling. If there's a software or config issue on the iPhone, it could affect one and not the other. It might or might not help, but at least it could narrow down the possible cause a little bit.

Contributor

As I indicated in my last post my Iphone is doing the same thing. Turns out I wasn’t at home often enough to notice it. Anger and frustration yes, but not directed at anybody posting, rather at those not engaging (Xfinity techs) other then deleting ppsts or saying it was reported and we’re supposed to be happy about that. I was planning to restore both phones to see if that makes a difference ( I am hoping but doubting it at the same time) will do this weekend. Also I am having tech come out on Saturday to double check the network just to be 100% sure.
Regular Contributor

@FourOnSix wrote:

I had my phone "forget" my Xfinity wifi address and only connect to the Dlink -- and it's been stable for 2 days now. I haven't even had to go into airplane mode to get it to behave.

Too soon to declare victory as I don't buy it can be that simple, but if it holds up for a week or two, maybe there's something screwy with my Xfinity wifi router.  I'm sure I'll have more data points...

Regular Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

@FourOnSix wrote:

I had my phone "forget" my Xfinity wifi address and only connect to the Dlink -- and it's been stable for 2 days now. I haven't even had to go into airplane mode to get it to behave.

Too soon to declare victory as I don't buy it can be that simple, but if it holds up for a week or two, maybe there's something screwy with my Xfinity wifi router.  I'm sure I'll have more data points...

Before I get too exuberant, I had my first drop today

Frequent Visitor

Very well stated. I have personally had a ticket open since March of last year. I have officially given up, as I even escalated to a corporate person, and have not heard back in 7 weeks. And I work for this company!

If any of you have seen my posts, the issue I have is that when WiFi calling is enabled, I get the call failed issue whether I am on WiFi calling in my house or on LTE 200 miles from my house. It does not care.

When I say I have given up, I am simply going to finish paying off my phone in April and just switch carriers. Unfortunately I do not see options outside of this.
Regular Visitor

I 'm following up from my previous post...

I did not have any call failed issues for 8 days then all of a sudden it started happening again.  I did not make any changes to my settings on any equipment.

I tried using a different phone and still had issues.

I'm done wasting my time with Xfinity so I swtiched to another carrier.

Contributor

I have a tech scheduled for service on Saturday and received a call from comcast advanced support (confirming time nad day) asking to call back to work on this issue. Phone number is <Edited> is this real? Does anybody know. I called Comcast and nobody knows anything - they just keep repeating that tech will be there on Saturday. <Edited>

Contributor

@N4NET wrote:

Before I get too exuberant, I had my first drop today

Airplane mode or not?

Regular Contributor

My drop was not airplane mode. I was starting to feel lucky.
Contributor

Just confirmed today none of this mess with WIFI CALLING is related to any issues with modems routers wifi etc. I tested XM WIFI calling today on 2 different wifi networks, different providers. Guess what.... same results. CALL FAILED!!! This is 100% xfinity issue. All you guys can stop messing with wifi/router .... last thing left is factory reset and restore, but I have a hard time believing nobody here never tried it. Probably won’t fix anything
Contributor

@UnhappyExATT wrote:
Just confirmed today none of this mess with WIFI CALLING is related to any issues with modems routers wifi etc. I tested XM WIFI calling today on 2 different wifi networks, different providers. Guess what.... same results. CALL FAILED!!! This is 100% xfinity issue. All you guys can stop messing with wifi/router .... last thing left is factory reset and restore, but I have a hard time believing nobody here never tried it. Probably won’t fix anything

Why on Earth would you tell other people to exclude their home network as a potential issue? I have only advised one person to do so and it's because their case seemed to indicate it as a strong possibility. And again, I even said something to the effect of this being an exception to the rule. It was good advice in that case.

I don't believe anybody has advised you to mess with your router. Not everything on this thread is meant for you or otherwise relevent to your case. If you read my advice to N4NET and decided to mess with your own router, then you're taking shots in the dark and that is on you.

And yes, it is 100% an XM issue when not in airplane mode. Apart from that we know that many people - myself included - experience close to 100% reliability in airplane mode. If you are having issues in airplane mode, then it becomes far more likely to be a home network (or local network) issue.

I suggested the backup and restore when it was only the one phone experiencing the issue. If both of your phones are doing it in airplane mode, then it's far less likely to make a difference.

Frequent Visitor

The only thing I want to add is that on multiple WiFi networks (at least 6 in various locations), the exact issues occur in airplane mode.

I did read somewhere earlier in the thread a theory that it is trying to switch between WiFi calling and network calling, so perhaps it is trying to switch off, but there is no network available since it is in airplane mode.

Finally, as a group, we all are frustrated here. We all have tried many MANY things. As I stated, I have had a ticket open since March 2018. We have to stay united here folks! If we start turning on each other, we give in! Tongue in cheek of course, but we need to support each other!
New Poster

We recently switched from Verizon to Xfinity and are also consistently having the problem of dropped calls.  They often happen in our house where we have a very strong Xfinity wifi signal.  I have seen this discussion happening on the Apple Community page .  Our phones are less than 6 months old as is our upgraded wi-fi, but phone calls have never been worse.  They drop three out of every four calls regardless of where we move to in the house.

New Poster

As you can see from all the comments below, this is a confirmed, known issue. I do not see any response from Comcast/Xfinity. Please confirm solution. I even upgraded to an X5 box and I continue to see the WiFi indicator on the top left go back to saying “Verizon” only. We need an answer. This area also has a poor cellular signal. I look forward to your resolution.

Thank you,
Carlos
Contributor

“This issue has been reported.”
That’s comcast’s response. <Edited>!!

New Poster

I finally got fed up with the lack of solutions here and switched to Mint Mobile. Their wifi calling works beautifully. Wish I would've done it sooner. 

Regular Visitor

Hey everyone, I used to have XM and left a couple months ago for AT&T due to this issue (which has been amazing since I've had no dropped calls at all in 2 months).   Regardless, I received a survey via email that was only sent to ex-customers of XM asking for the reasons that I left.  I detailed this issue in the survey to a deep degree, even including the link to this specific forum.  Hopefully my response along with others get the folks still on XM some traction with the company on this issue.   Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this survey is making its rounds and might hit a different management stream than the reps who work this forum, improving the chances that Comcast will direct resources at the problem.

Good luck to those of you still fighting this fight - it's mind blowing to me that this is still an issue.

Official Employee

Hello all,

I have been monitoring the thread. The issue is still being investigated. The information we need for further investigation is difficult to get due to some limitations. I appreciate your patience. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

This is the update we get? Read this whole thread. Please! All info is there
Official Employee

@UnhappyExATT - The information we need for the investigation cannot be provided publicly, it contains private information. It's a complicated issue and I can't provide any further updates at this point. If you have any further questions - please feel free to reach me directly. 

Contributor

I do have further questions. How can your company charge us for service that is not working properly? Close to a year for some
Contributor

The information we need for the investigation cannot be provided publicly, it contains private information. It's a complicated issue and I can't provide any further updates at this point. If you have any further questions - please feel free to reach me directly. 

There has NEVER been an update given,  just the request for information and <Edited> thanks for your patience line.

<Edited>

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastElla the issue is that we haven't gotten any indication so far if:

1) the problem has been isolated and a fix is being worked on or

2) Comcast is still clueless / unable to find out why this happens. From your response it sounds like this is the case. 

It is Comcast's choice how they want to communicate with us, but if they continue to follow the strategy of providing no updates except to be patient and no compensation to those affected, what is the incentive to keep holding on to your service and not go elsewhere? Considering Comcast has spent alot of money to lure customers with the recent $300 and $200 iPhone promos, shouldnt it be in Comcast's best interest to be more transparent and pro-active to keep these customers?

Regular Visitor

Well said chrisso. Have two lines and can’t make it through one day without multiple drops. Really frustrating, at this point looks like only option is to switch. Will be looking into other carriers in the next few days.
Regular Visitor

I am also having this same issue. It occurs on both my home phone and my iPhone, so it would seem it isn’t due to a iPhone setting.

Contributor

I’m not sure why but my problems have gotten even worse now. Regular cell signal at home is weaker and WIFI calling is worse with ‘calls failed’ all the time. On top of that I just got charged $40!!!!! for a technician visit to check my internet connection (which has s perfect btw). <Edited> Charging people for a technician visit without telling you that you’ll be charged is insane!! Come on! And why am I getting charged if yech comes out after Comcast advanced support was involved? <Edited>

New Poster

I’m having the same issue with my iPhone 8 calls dropping all the time, particularly on WiFi.

I have another iPhone with ATT on the same WiFi network, and those calls never drop.

Please let me know when Xfinity fixes this issue.
New Poster

This seems to be a hand-off issue between cellular and wi-fi.  I have been getting more frequent dropped outgoing calls and call failure incoming calls recently.  I turned off cellular and left wi-fi on and no dropped calls, in or out.  

This is not ideal, but can be a temporary work around until Xfinity decides to fix this issue.  

Pretty sad that this bug has not been fixed for over a year.