Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

New Poster

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Same here.  New XM user.  Poor coverage for all mobile companies where I live.  Wifi Calling is how we communicate.  Since switching five iphones to XM three weeks ago, we are getting call failed quite often (guessing 50% of the time, but will start to track it).  One of the phones is a new iPhone XS purchased from Xfinity.  Customer Service transferred me to Tier 2 support and there was between a 6 to 9 hour wait.  If you live in an area with poor VZW service, I'd stay away from XM until they get this fixed.

New Poster

I am having the same dropped calls issue with a brand new iPhone XS Max.  Please help as most of my incoming calls are dropped with on Wi-Fi

Regular Visitor

I've also been starting to experience similar problems on my iPhone SE about two month ago. Usually what will happen is that things will work fine for a bit and then one day I'll have problems either making calls or getting calls. The errors when making calls will usually either be a call failed message or the number will ring two times and then go to voicemail. It happens whether it's on Wi-Fi or on a tower.

The fix I've had to do is play the switcharoo game of forcing the phone on wifi, trying to call, forcing it off wi-fi and turning off wi-fi calling, trying again, and then rebooting the phone. If the problem happens when someone makes a call, they either get sent to my voicemail or they just get dead air.

Unfortunately, I had this problem happen when I had a phone interview. I was lucky they were patient, but some other people might not be so fortunate.

New Poster

@Microphone I'm on an iPhone XS, iOS version 12.1.1

Contributor

@sicromoft thanks for that.  Good luck!

New Poster

I'm a new Xfinity Mobile customer and purchased two iPhone XS devices and one iPhone XR. All three phones are facing the same issue; while on WiFi calling incoming calls will ring but will fail as soon as answered. 

This is a critical issue for me. I work from home, and I do not have reliable network coverage at my house. This basically means that almost every phone call I receive requires a call-back, and is extremely unprofessional.

New Poster

This was the hot thread back when I spent hours on the phone with Tier 2 to be told different answers for pretty much every call about similar issues with my S9. It was finally boiled down to let's replace your device. I now see that this is supposedly an I device only issue but definitely have similar issues with a samsung in that anywhere from 5m to an hour after connecting to wifi with wifi calling on both calling and texting will stop working completely.

Ironically my wife's iphone has no issues with wifi calling and dropped calls.

I opted not to further pursue warranty replacement as I don't see how it can be a hardware defect if it works for some amount of time after connecting to wifi but then just stops working.

Also from way up thread to some extent the prefer cellular is a verizon network thing and can affect verizon phones as well in areas of barely having service and trying to use wifi calling. I have dealt with multiple situations where wifi calling doesnt fix the barely gets service or sometimes gets service locations without using the VZW microcell.

Also for those interested it did appear that while I was at one of these locations (family) my phone and the vzw microcell were more than happy to play nice together giving me service.
Contributor

@tsuujin - Thanks for posting in the forum.  Most all of us here share your pain and I can say this is the same issue with my situation as well.  I am in a location with poor cellular service, so I rely on the Wifi calling to make and receive cell phone calls.  This is getting increasingly frustrating because I also had two important calls last evening.....both of which were dropped at critical points and were annoying to the other party on the call.  This was a phone interview and we depend on a good connection, so to get disconnected twice certainly impacted the interview.

Just a reminder to please send the information about dropped calls to @ComcastElla who is collecting all this information and then forwarding it onto the engineering team.  You can send her a message directly with the date/time of the phone calls and which numbers were involved.  Something like:

Incoming call from XXXXXX to XXXXXX on Jan 2, 2019 at 5:45 pm.  Call lasted 30 seconds before dropping, etc.  

There are more poeple posting in this forum daily with the same issue, so hopefully this has caught the attention of the technical staff and they are working on a future software update or carrier settings update to prevent this issue.  

Contributor

@Darkknight187 Thanks for posting.  I'm on AT&T right now and have a Galaxy 7 & 7+.  Thinking of switching when the Galaxy 10 comes out or grabbing a 9 at a bargain rate.  And there is no question, for data, my wife and I spend 95% of our time in wifi land so money wise I'd save a bundle with XM, but then I see Andriod stories like your's.  So after redaing your post, I'm not certain what the verdict is with you or what happened.  My cell signal with AT&T here in my part of Massachusetts is good and I imagine Verizon mirrors it.

Thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

What helped for me was that if I am at home, I turn on airplane mode to disconnect the phone from cell service and then turn on wifi. So the phone is forced to only use wifi calling. Then when I leave home, I turn off wifi and turn on the cellular service. When doing these switches it is important that the phone is never on wifi and cellular at the same time. 

Not ideal, but better than dropping calls. 

Contributor

That seems like "a lot" to do and remember EVERY time.

Regular Contributor

I want to start by saying this thread Is horrifying in that problems have been reported for so long and there is no fix in sight.

All the workarounds are about as convenient as forwarding my mobile to a landline when I’m home. Sadly, I feel like I should find a way to automate that.

I switched to XM in November and got two new iPhone XRs for myself and my wife. Like with AT&T, I get 0-1 bars of LTE service at home. So I enabled WiFi calling, which worked perfectly with AT&T on our iPhone 6 and 6s, but consistently drops in the middle of calls or often fails to pick up with XM. Thought it was the new phone or our new xfinity gigabit service having issues - but now I see this is at epidemic proportions.

I often work from home and the call drops are pretty intolerable.

Can someone explain how WiFi calling is supposed to work? Does it actually try to use those xfinity WiFi hotspots that are enabled by default on every modem? Or does it use your primary WiFi? I imagine oppportunistically using the default xfinity WiFi in random places would be a terribly unstable way to try to limit Verizon network usage.

Whatever it does, it works awful. When can we expect someone at xfinity to fix this?
Contributor

So I'm confused.  I thought it was an Apple problem not a Verizon/XM problem.

I have an android Galaxy 7 and am waiting for the 10 in March and am a perfect XM candidate with fairly low data usage.  I have AT&T currently.

Is it worth saving $40 a month, almost $500 a year to be totally aggrivated?  Maybe notSmiley Sad.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Anybody with dropped calls and no resolution interested in a class action lawsuit?

Maybe that will make them work harder to fix the matter. I’m thinking of switching myself. Not worth the savings if I’m paying for NO service.
Regular Contributor

Re: Anybody with dropped calls and no resolution interested in a class action lawsuit?

I suppose this forum presents sufficient evidence that Comcast has neglected this issue. The thing that suprises me is Comcast has thrown money at sim card and even phone replacements -- yet can't seem to activate an engineer or two to root cause the problem.

Honestly, if I were an executive in charge of Xfinity Mobile, I'd be very concerned about the reputational implications. Not only are a bunch of customers publicly jumping ship on this forum, but they are also telling their contacts to stick with "reliable" carriers.

The right thing to do (which I've done a few times myself as a business manager for tech companies) is refund a portion of the bill to affected customers as a good faith gesture until the issue is resolved.

Frequent Visitor

This afternoon at 2pm EST I placed a phone call to the corp office (for those of you that dont have the number, it is 215-665-1700 option #2) and spoke with a rep - the ticket opened last Wed is in the hands of a supervisor who has not contacted me at all, so my assumption is they have done nothing with the ticket.  I am sure I will get no call today and will call tomorrow for status.   They are making it easier and easier for those of us involved.

New Poster

Add another customer to the list!  Glad I found this thread, as my family has been going nuts with this, and I couldn't remember what changed so many months ago, but this must be it.  The "Call Failed" when answering.  We'll just disable WiFi calling, as it was just a backup I thought if cell service wasn't available.  I'm not going to keep slipping airplane mode on/off.

Contributor

You shouldn't have to do that but that is an easy solution.  You get what you pay for.  If you want pure cell service calls and use lower amounts of data, this is your plan.  If you need wifi calling, go elsewhere, the savings and lack of performace isn't worth the aggrevation.

Frequent Visitor

Just as reference, and I really hope the results are different for you, but I did find that turning OFF WiFi calling did not end this problem. For me, it has occurred regardless of being on WiFi calling or LTE, or having WiFi calling enabled or not.
Contributor

SO GLAD this longstanding issue is gaining more traction on this forum. Pseudo concern/confusion on part of employees is unacceptable.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Gaining traction is one thing. Actualy doing something about the problem is what is required, and it just isn't happening.

Contributor

You are correct. I was thinking gaining traction might result in a solution faster, but realize that may not be the case at all.

Contributor

On a thread that is way longer than it should be as this should have been solved by now, remind me again so I don't spend an hour here MCG82, are you Apple or Android?

Contributor

Discouraging that it's 1-7-19 and no response since New Year's Eve, you're right about the Comcast apathy.

Frequent Visitor

Microphone- on an apple iphone 7plus, my wife on a 7. No issues from May 2017 to February 2018, only started with the implementation of WiFi calling.
Contributor

@mcg82 Okay, just trying to keep track of everyone, thanks and good luck.

Frequent Visitor

Apple as they dont support Android yet

Frequent Visitor

so this morning, my help desk call initiated on Wednesday and finally routed to a real supervisor in Comcast Mobile is in the process of being closed, and I am supposed to be receiving a call from "Mona" stating that my cellular coverage is low so I am not to expect anything more service wise than I am getting.  I am sure that call will not come. Regardless, I will repeat, having worked 17 years in a technology agency, WiFi calling has NO bearing on cellular signal.  It was sold to me to eliminate my poor cellular coverage.  Again, they are mutually eclusive. Additionally it has been stated they have offered me a discontinuation of service several times, but I had declined.  Yes, one because they assured me they were actively working the issue, and two they were only willing to discontinue the service, not the most expensive part, the phone

Contributor

Official Employee

Hello all, 

@Microphone - I'm the person who is monitoring this thread and have direct communication with the XM team. Like any other employee, I do take vacations and I was out of the office for 5 days. Furthermore, I try to post when I do have any updates regarding the issue. 

@carole08088 - Yes, we are actively working the issue. It does take longer than we expected. I haven't received your information and I can't check if there are updates regarding your supervisor escalation.

We have a testing group and we are trying to find the exact cause of the dropped calls via WiFi. I monitor the thread and send all the feedback I receive to the engineering group. As soon as I get any updates - I post them here.   

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

No disrespect intended  ComcastElla, but IMHO your credibility here is approaching a value of zero.

This thread has hundreds of respondents, has run for nine months, and Xfinity Mobile has absolutely nothing to show for it other than you continuing to say that the problem is being worked on.

Please answer the following question, but please don't replay any portions of your previous replies:

When is Xfinity Mobile going to do something about this problem and actually solve it?

Contributor

Don't be surprised if your last post disappears,  gderf. I said essentially exactly the same thing some weeks ago and my post was removed. Unbelievable, Comcast.

Valued Contributor

No, I won't be surprised if my post is deleted. And frankly, if I needed this feature I would be long gone to another provider.

Contributor

@carole08088 wrote:

Regardless, I will repeat, having worked 17 years in a technology agency, WiFi calling has NO bearing on cellular signal.

Carole, I don't blame you if you didn't read this entire thread, but the concensus seems to be that the problem is between certain phones (mostly iPhones) and XM's phone carrier settings. When a weak carrier signal goes in and out, the phone errantly attempts to switch from wifi to cellular when it becomes available. If you put your phone in airplane mode and make a call over wifi, it should work fine (assuming your home network is in good shape). This is not intended to be a practical solution. I bring it up because yes, carrier signal should not affect wifi calling, but it can if the carrier settings need fixing.

Regular Visitor

Having same issue. Trying to send you a message directly but not able to.
Contributor

@gderf wrote:

No disrespect intended  ComcastElla, but IMHO your credibility here is approaching a value of zero. 

That's a bit harsh and a perfect example of why my grandpa would often say that everything before the "but" is BS. Your frustration with Comcast is understandable (I share it) but remember that you're talking to a human being operating within specific constraints, not Comcast itself.

I see no reason to doubt that Comcast is working on this issue, at least in the last couple of months since ComcastElla starting posting on this thread. They are aware if they are losing customer over this. As I remember, Verizon had similar issues when they enabled wifi calling, though I don't remember how long it took them to fix it. I do wonder if the XM engineers are in communication with Verizon and Apple in hopes of getting this solved more quickly.

Personally my frustrations have been mitigated by the fact that XM has exceded my expectations on pretty much every metric aside from wifi calling. And I appreciate that ComcastElla is giving some indication that this is being worked on. I seriously doubt that's just an attempt to pacify us while they twiddle their thumbs.

Contributor

Four on six I agree with you.  I'm not a mobile customer, yet, but am a prime candidate.  I have internet and basic TV.

Ella you're entitled to your vacation I didn't mean to have it come across that way.  Wish another agent was watching the store here in your absence.

HAVING SAID THAT, there are people here that have spent a $1000.....maybe $1000's for phone and subsequent service and this is not a 6-8 week problem.  Someone at corporate has to make a decision on where to go with all this as the duration here is unacceptable.  And this is not not being able to watch Cinemax or NHL Network for months (although that would be tragic) this is communication, and some of it could be life and death, I don't mean to get dramtic, but it happened in my family where the phone saved someone's life.  So I would think this should be on the top of the pile of problems (and subsequently solved by now).

Contributor

@Microphone wrote:

some of it could be life and death, I don't mean to get dramtic, but it happened in my family where the phone saved someone's life.  So I would think this should be on the top of the pile of problems (and subsequently solved by now).

This is a really good point. I've turned WiFi calling off and have been able to get along with one bar of service at home and a few dropped calls, but if I didn't get that one bar fairly reliably, then my frustration level would be far higher. I was a tad nervous switching to a less experienced carrier, but part of my rationale in the switch was that WiFi calling would cover me at home (as it did with AT&T).

Official Employee

Hello all,

@Spikeball - Got your private message, thank you so much!

@Microphone - I'm not taking any vacation soon Smiley Wink However, I definitely agree with you that this is a very important issue and it takes a long time to resolve it. I also know that with this specific issue there are so many different scenarios: some people lose connection every time they have calls via WiFi; some only have issues at home; some used to have issues but don't have them anymore; some didn't have any issues before but now do. That's why it's extremely important to get all the possible details. I'm very thankful to all people who have sent me examples and details. I really appreciate it!

I try to post here when I have any updates but I do monitor this thread daily. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

After reading this thread and observing my phone while calling at home, I am noticing switchovers from wifi to cellular and back.

Given my cellular reception is not great, callers on the phone notice a degradation in my call quality when it switches over to cellular -- then the call often drops when switching back to wifi.

So something is broken in the way the networks are prioritized. I am making the call from the same office as my Xfinity modem, where switching over to cellular service makes no sense.

One other case that never fails for me is a call in my car drops the moment I enter my garage and presumably switches over to wifi. So I get the impression switchover from cellular to wifi is broken.

New Poster

Add yet another user to the list...I have been monitoring this thread for months now, and haven’t seen any concrete resolution to what seems to be a widespread issue. My experience is the same, marginal cell signal at home and constant dropped calls via Wi-Fi. Lately, incoming calls don’t even ring, and then voicemails just pop up a half hour or more after the supposed call.

It’s very apparent that the phone is not handling switching properly or prioritizing Wi-Fi calling over the cell signal. It tries over and over to grab a marginal cell signal instead of staying on the Wi-Fi connection, and loses the call most of the time.

In addition, I do notice that many times, cellular data doesn’t switch when I leave a Wi-Fi area, forcing me to reboot in order to get cell data when not on a Wi-Fi signal.
Regular Contributor

From what I've observed

1) Seems like once the phone is on cellular, it never transitions to wifi mid-call, so you wind up sticking through a poor signal until the call drops

2) Even while sitting on my desk next to my Xfinity modem/wifi, the phone may transition at any time back to cellular. I haven't ascertained whether this happens only at the onset of a call or mid-call

I can almost understand some logic behind # 1, but #2 is just a defect that needs to be fixed 

Frequent Visitor

I just missed another business call, so I have to bail out. I’ll try to monitor this issue in hopes of returning sometime, but right now I’m not optimistic.
Contributor

Just wanted to confirm something I hadn't tested much yet (because I have just enough cellular signal at home to get by, with an occasional dropped call). Had an important call today so I enabled airplane mode, then made sure wifi and bluetooth were enabled as well. Turned on wifi calling and it was flawless. With some more testing I am able to send and receive calls. Receiving calls was part of my hesitance to try this bandaid.

It's not an elegant solution, but it does confirm that XM can handle wifi calling just fine and that the issue is almost certainly with the carrier settings as they pertain to certain phones. The sound is fantastic and I like that the signal is only going to my router - not to a cell tower. This saves battery and radiates me less. For these reasons I strongly prefer wifi calling, even when a good cellular signal is available.

Regular Contributor

Airplane mode makes sense as a workaround so long as you don't forget to toggle it whenever you're in and out. It's a bit of a pain...

BTW, some T-Mobile folks are having the same issue on this other thread 

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/143483

Not to say we're in good company, but we do have company.

Regular Contributor

This seems to be a well documented iPhone problem on T-Mobile

https://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mobile-iPhone-prefers-cellular-over-wi-fi-calling_id103976

https://piunikaweb.com/2018/04/03/ios-11-3-nasty-surprise-t-mobile-prioritises-cellular-over-wifi-ca...

It's even documented in a generic iphone wifi calling FAQ here (look for "Wi-Fi calls drop: " at the bottom)

https://www.lifewire.com/use-iphone-wifi-calling-1999746

Thing is I don't see complaints on the other carriers

Contributor

That's interesting about T Mobile. It was flawless on AT&T and was today in airplane mode. I'm really looking forward to this being fixed, although I can't say I find it reassuring that T-Mobile is struggling with this too.

Frequent Visitor

The T-mobile issue really is not related. It was an issue last year with an older iOS version 11.3 which has since been updated with release of iOS 12.

I also use the airplane mode workaround. When in airplane mode with WiFi on, WiFi calling works without issues. Until XM releases a fix with updated carrier settings, this is the only fix I have found to work.
Regular Contributor

@chrisso wrote:
The T-mobile issue really is not related. It was an issue last year with an older iOS version 11.3 which has since been updated with release of iOS 12.

I also use the airplane mode workaround. When in airplane mode with WiFi on, WiFi calling works without issues. Until XM releases a fix with updated carrier settings, this is the only fix I have found to work.

In this thread, the T-Mobile issue has persisted to the present time, regardless of iOS version

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/143483

Appears very much related to what we are seeing.

My only guess is the other carriers have figured out a work-around.

Contributor

All - Also just a reminder to also go to the Apple Support site and fill out a bug report highlighting this issue. It may also take Apple and Comcast working together to address the issue in a future update. Copy the link to this forum, which may also help raise the issue to folks attention.