Community Forum

WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

Regular Visitor

Re: WiFi calling frequent drops and call failed issues

I don’t know if there’s any truth to it, but I heard they use Verizon’s prepaid towers only. That would explain the poor service. I also feel this is not restricted to WiFi calling. I have a lot of dropped calls even when not connected to WiFi. My wife has also just informed me that she has trouble getting data as well at times. Not trying to be difficult, but if this isn’t resolved soon we are going to have to switch to a more reliable carrier. I don’t want me or any of my family stranded or lost and not able to use a phone or gps.
Contributor

Why has this issue not been corrected - how many months does it take? <Edited> I was ready to make the switch from Verizon in order to save money, but there is no way I would even consider without assurance this problem has been resolved. <Edited>

Regular Visitor

@Speed009 wrote:

Wow I am so glad I did more research about XM before jumping ship from ATT. Thank you all for letting us prospective customers know about this obviously big issue with especially Apple phones. I have an iphone Xs, but having the possibility of dropped calls like this is a big NONO, no matter how cheap they are offering it. 

Sorry Comcast, but you just lost another customer who was willing to sign up for XM!  Get your act together please!

Let me just say that my original grandfathered iPhone Unlimited Data Plan was costing me over $90/mo on AT&T, and even if I had switched to service with them equivalent to what I am now getting from Xfinity Mobile (essentially, 1 GB data/mo for $12), I'd be paying over $50/mo, and since I really only talk on the phone to a couple of people, mainly my mother, I can't say I'm entirely dissatisfied.

However, this shouldn't be happening. I've just spent the past hour or so on the phone with a friend who is going through difficulties in her marriage and is in desperate need of emotional support, and our conversation dropped about ten times.

Putting the phone in Airplane Mode does not cure the problem. I can sit here motionless, 2 metres away from my Xfinity WiFi router, with cellular data OFF and/or in Airplane Mode with Wifi and Bluetooth ON, and watch my phone retrain from XM Wifi to Xfinity Mobile, back and forth, every few minutes.

And again, this *only* happens at home. It never happens once I leave the poor cell coverage that surrounds my home. The only thing I haven't tried is actually swapping out the Xfinity Wifi router for one of my old routers, to eliminate that piece of hardware at least from controlling my WiFi connection. But I haven't done that because I shouldn't have to. I'm paying an outrageous $10/mo to Xfinity for the use of this router, and I expect it to be worth more than simply buying a new upgraded router on my own every year.

Regular Visitor

@m1928 wrote:

If you are in an area with good cell reception I do not believe there are issues.

It is in the fringe areas -- and I personally think the problem is with Apple. 

My iPhone 6 Plus works as it used to.

My iPhone XS Max and XS are wonderfil cameras that sometimes act as phones.

If it is all Xfinity why is that?

Not willing to put all blame on Xfinity but Apple needs to step up and own the problem.

The problem is obviously not Apple. I brought my iPhone 6S to Xfinity Mobile from AT&T. I was using the same device the same Xfinity WiFi Router, the same Xfinity Internet service, and the same cell towers. The ONLY thing that has changed is I changed my cellular service to Xfinity Mobile from AT&T. 

Again, I have over 25 years of experience as a systems & networking technology consultant, with clients from single-person shops to Fortune 500 companies. Troubleshooting network issues is literally "what I do".

If I leave my house and go to where the cell coverage is good, the problem completely disappears. I just happen to live in a relative dead zone for cellular service in my town, and if I want reliable cellular communications, I have to go sit by the window in my unheated, uncooled (but thankfully finished) attic.

WiFi Calling using the same exact equipment and ISP worked flawlessly when I was directly on the AT&T network. I would lay good money that the problem is being caused by faulty carrier settings programming. Xfinity Mobile advertises that on their system, your phone will automatically transfer to their network of hotspots, which is obviously why their pricing is so cheap and why they require you to have an Xfinity service account before you can be an Xfinity Mobile customer. 

To my knowledge, no other virtual carrier is attempting to do this, swtiching between cell, home WiFi, and public hotspot on the fly. 

Frequent Visitor

This is NOT an apple problem nor is it a TechOps issue - it is purely an XFinity Mobile issue. I have changed phones once already and have experienced dropped calls (8-10) a day since I signed on.  They refuse to acknowledge this is an issue although if you search through their blog you will find several pages of people with the exact same problem.   Comcast does not care, they have told me to use my landline or go outside if that works.   They have never once offered me any credit for my downtime.  They released the service far before they had the expertise to run it

Frequent Visitor

Contributor

I think yours is the best explaination as to what is happening.

Thank you

Regular Visitor

I need someone to reach out regarding this call faier issue. This is a problem. It happens at home and in town. I've replaced the phone and still issues!

Frequent Visitor

Believe me its just the xfinity mobile service nit the phone issue. I changed my phone 2 times but no luck with that. Finally changed the carrier and now I have no issue with the same iPhoneX
Official Employee

@Kaa - This issue is under investigation and I'm collecting all the examples for the engineering group. Please send me a private message and include the following information:

- Your full name, account holder's name exactly as it's listed on the bill.

- Your XM account number

- The number you called from and the number you tried to call via WiFi

- The date of the call

- Details regarding your experience

Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Add me to the list of people with this problem.  9 out of 10 calls fail with Call Failed when I answer.  Usually I'm able to call the person back and it goes through without issue.  Problem is not limited to any particular location.  My wife and I both have iPhone 6s.  She is on Sprint and has wifi-calling enabled and has never seen the Call Failed error.  When I had AT&T with this same phone, I never once saw the Call Failed error. 

Repeatable Test to get Failures and Temporarily Resolve Them

Just now I was able to make four consecutive calls to my cell phone and each failed with Call Failed when I answered.  I made an outgoing call from my cell to my office phone and the destination rang once, stopped ringing as though I hung up, and several seconds later started ringing again and I was able to answer and the call succeeded.  Then, subsequent incoming calls from my office line to my cell succeeded (no Call Failed).  I switched into Airplane mode and back out.  Now it is again failing with Call Failed.  I have repeated this process and it is completely repeateable including the weird pause and reconnect during the outgoing call. 

@ComcastElla, I can send you a PM with my details, but I think that PM is not turned on for me (I'm signed in but don't see a Send Message link when viewing your profile).

Official Employee

Hi, mzwaterski! Thank you so much for reaching out. Your PM feature is enabled now, my apologies for the delay. Feel free to send me a private message with all the details. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello all, 

Please upgrade your Apple devices to iOS 12.1.1 if possible. We are still investigating the issue and I will keep you updated. 

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

Regular Visitor

To add to your data, my device has been at 12.1.1 since that update was released and I have continued to experience the Call Failure on incoming calls.

Regular Visitor

MY PHONE IS UPDATED! IUSE THIS PHONE FOR BUSINESS AND THIS IS HORRIBLE SERVICE1

New Poster

this is pure an xfinity issues. never have i seen such trouble being reported by users and not fixed for almost a year.

i regret switching to xfinity and will switch out when the year ends...

getting crapp signal compared to att in my home and being forced to use wifi calling that ends up failed calls all the time is terrible

New Poster

Same issue, dropping calls when on wifi calling.  Have two lines on xfinity mobile and both have same issue.

Official Employee

Hello all,

The request to update iOS was made from Apple directly. I don't have any updates at the moment but I'm monitoring the issue. 

Thank you!

Contributor

I also just installed a new Mac and have updated the computer softwear to latest - said someontinh about WiFi - but not sure it will do anything - was stated for messages.  

Is Xfinity the only one having these issues with these phones?

Frequent Visitor

M1928- can coonfirm that this does NOT happen with a Verizon phone, as I have a Verizon work phone. That is the part that is hardest to swallow, as they use the same towers, I believe.
Contributor

@ComcastElla, I can't seem to find a way to message you. Seems like PMs have to be enabled for people to do so? If that’s the case you sure would get a lot more data if PMs were enabled by default.

I'm having the same issue. Wife is using an iPhone 8 and I'm on an iPhone Xs Max. Wifi calling is unusable. Calls drop regularly. It was flawless with AT&T. Please let me know how I can PM you and I'll send you the details.
Contributor

Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that Verizon has a second tier of service for those that rent time off their towers.
Don't know if that is true.
Regular Visitor

I have the following Phones on my account:

Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Red)

Apple iPhone 6s Plus

Samsung Galaxy S8+

"The Samsung Galaxy S8+ has no issues with Wifi calling, making or receiving"

Both of the Apple phones listed above have the same exact issue posted in this thread hundreds of times. 

When I call my mother or daughter from my Samsung Phone the call drops as soon as they answer the phone. Then when I call them back the call works. Or once the call drops, they call me back and it works.

This is very frustrating as it happens multiple times a day. We've been dealing with this since we bought the phones over 2 years ago and I'm on the verge of disabling my account all together and going with a different carrier. 

Yes, I'll pay more, but to be honest, at least the extra money I'd be paying would be for a service that works as it should.  It's been 2 years now, you'd figure this issue would've been addressed much sooner and fixed by now.

Not a happy XM Customer at all,

Rob

Official Employee

Hello all,

@FourOnSix - The PM feature is disabled by default. It enables after the user posts publicly. In your case, your first post was back in 2014 before we made changes. That's why we had to manually enable the PM feature. 

Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. Message sent with details.

Official Employee

@FourOnSix - Got your message, thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Want to share my experience. Have an iPhone XS bought directly from Xfinity. At home Verizon signal is weak and Wi-Fi calling is the way to go. The only way I can get it to work reliably is to turn on airplane mode and activate Wi-Fi. That forces all calls through Wi-Fi as the phone is disconnected from the cell service. Works perfectly.

When I leave home I deactivate airplane mode and switch back to cellular. The strange thing is that all incoming calls will then fail 100% of the time. I also have what some others describe that outgoing calls will initially fail on the receiving end, but then immediately ring again and go through. What happens is that the first call on the LTE signal fails. The phone then switches to 3G/CDMA signal, which you can see by the LTE disappearing on the screen. That call then goes through.

The only work around to this whole mess which is to again toggle airplane mode on and off without there being a Wi-Fi signal which would allow the phone to go back the Wi-Fi calling. Afterwards all calls work normally.

I believe the issue is Xfinity’s bad carrier setting programming. The obvious issue is that Wi-Fi calling is broken and also switching between Wi-Fi calling and LTE calling doesn’t work well. It is not the phone or Verizon. I have unlocked the phone as paid in full and put in a Verizon SIM. No problem.

It is hopeless to try and talk to the Xfinity hotline. They are clueless as far as a technical understanding of cell service issues. Resetting Network settings is about all they can recommend.
Official Employee

Hi, chrisso! Thank you for sharing your experience. Could you please send me your full name, account holders name (if different) exactly as it's listed on the bill, your XM phone number and account? I will send your experience to the engineering team. 

Regular Visitor

I'm also having this problem and about to cancel service.  It wont let me PM you.

New Poster

this issue has been driving everyone in my family crazy we have

Iphone 7+

Iphone 6s

Iphone 8

Iphone XS 

the iphones XS was just updated from a iphone 6s I should also note the Iphone 8 was purchased direct from xfinity the 7 and 6s where verizon devies and the iphone xs was purchased from apple direct, and all the devices are having all of these issues and the calling is virtually unusable in house I now text and use facetime audio for calls and I went through it with xfinity home to get the new XB6 router/modem and that is pullling great speeds but the matter here is that doesnt matter because the calls are still dropping even though we have great connection like 180mbps down great this issue needs to be resolved soon!

has anyone heard anything about specific port forwarding that could be enabled on xfi routers to help with this issue?

New Poster

New customer. iPhone 6S and the problem is still happening.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Solicitation">

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Call drops are problems in countries like India with very dense populations. So much so that the country created a political post called "Call drop ministry" to combat the problem.... Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

Where do I sign up!
Contributor

All - I am also experiencing the same problem with both my wife and my iPhone XR and iPhone XS. We are dropping calls daily and consistently when on WiFi. . This is becoming increasingly frustrating and has gone on for too long.

As discussed above, please provide call logs and specifics about the dropped calls to ComcastElla as requested. She is forwarding this information to the XM engineers and they are trying to work with Apple to address the issue.

I know that one of the problems with smaller, newer providers like xfinity is that they do not have the huge programming and engineering staff that the bigger providers do and therefore do not have the direct connection with the mobile phone developers and engineers. It is important that users like us highlight the issues. I agree though that this has gone on for too long and hopefully we can get a solution.

I would also encourage everyone to call Apple Support and highlight the issue to them as well. We need to make sure that Apple developers and engineers are matched up with XM for future software updates and hopefully a carrier update soon.
Contributor

Someone earlier asked or mentioned....is this exclusively an iphone issue or do the Galaxys have it as well??

Contributor

Microphone - my understanding is that this is specifically an iPhone problem right now.  Samsung and Android phones actually do WiFi calling a bit differently.  Another poster also reported that he has both Android and iPhone in his home and that the problem was only happening with the iPhones.  

Again, I think some of the problem is XM here, but there is also an Apple side of this.  It is important that Apple and XM get latched up with their engineering and programming staff to push a software/carrier update.  I would encourage EVERYONE to please report this issue both to XM and Apple, so they can identify a solution.  XM is still a relatively new carrier, so the only way they can fix things is through users like us who report the issues.  I would also recommend submitting a bug report to Apple through their website.  If you Google "Apple bug report" the website will come up.

Contributor

All - Just re-sending the information on how to provide the dropped call logs to XM, so they can work on the issue.  The more call logs you can send, the better.  

Once you have posted publically on the forum, your private messaging feature should be enabled and you can send a message.  If you have not yet posted publically, ComcastElla can turn on your PM feature and you can send her messages.  I can confirm that Ella is responsive and is sending the messages onto the engineering group for further development and investigation.  The issue will get resolved, but it is going to take time.  Again, also PLEASE highlight to Apple.

This issue is under investigation and I'm collecting all the examples for the engineering group. Please send me a private message and include the following information:

- Your full name, account holder's name exactly as it's listed on the bill.

- Your XM account number

- The number you called from and the number you tried to call via WiFi

- The date of the call

- Details regarding your experience

Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Contributor

Thank you  jbiedlin

Official Employee

Hello all,

@bbagwell86 - I got your message and replied back.

@Jbiedlin - Thank you so much for your help!!!

@Microphone - As Jbiedlin mentioned, we only received examples from iPhone users. 

Happy Holidays!

Frequent Visitor

@Jbiedlin;- I'm not sure I would conclude this is an IOS only issue. WiFI calling was just enabled on Android and the userbase is extremely limited especially since Android BYOD doesn't exist. I've been tracking the Android thread and everyone posting has had a higher quality cell signal where most IOS users reporting the problem have close to non-existent signals.

I actually didn't want to disclose this originally but I have been trying to contact Comast engineering behind the scenes since I've encountered this problem and found this thread. I have since turned off WiFi calling on my phone and I sit by my window where I get the best signal.&nbsp; I'm also moving in March so this opportunity is quickly closing.

Contributor

I have had mixed results using my iphone in aiplane mode.

SOmedays it works great

others not so much...

New Poster

CLEARLY the problem is xfinity mobile has OS set to prioritize using mobile network. At my house we have a weak one bar so calls don’t work over mobile network but it’s just enough signal that the phone won’t use Wi-Fi. It won’t even receive a call. Other carriers have figured out that the priority has to be the other way around. If they don’t fix it I have to flip back to Att.

Another thing ComCast has not discovered yet is that you can not enable Wi-Fi calling for the first time unless you have a strong mobile network signal. Kind of ironic. I spent two hours on the phone with Comcast and Apple and nobody had a clue. Wanted me to get a new SIM card. Ha ha. On a whim I drove up the street where there was signal and I could enable Wi-Fi (also ironic I had no Wi-Fi signal at that point).
Contributor

Thanks for the response @GMoGoody.  There was another user in the forum who was reporting that he had both Android and iPhones in his family and the Android phones were working well, while the iPhones were not.  Your comments about the limited user base for Android is noted though and I would also agree that the WiFi calling problem seems more pronounced for those using iPhones with poor cellular reception.  I am in this boat myself as we get poor cellular reception at my residence and there does seem to be a problem with how XM defaults to cellular over WiFi, which seems to be causing the call drops.  We previously had AT&T.  While we also had poor cellular reception with AT&T, the WiFi calling worked flawlessly and we had no issues there.   I am hoping this issue is resolved soon and good luck getting in touch with the engineering folks yourself.  Since you are an employee, maybe it would be easier for you to provide some actual log files and other diagnostics to help the engineers resolve the issue. 

Contributor

@Cadams19358, I am also experiencing the same issues as you described as we also have very poor cellular service at my residence.  There does seem to be an issue with how XM is prioritizing wifi versus cellular, which may be causing the dropped calls.  We also previously had AT&T and while the cell service was even worse with AT&T, the wifi calling worked flawlessly when I was at home on WiFi and there was no issue with dropped calls or bad reception when I was on WiFi.  I hope that the XM engineers can also figure out this balance and get it right for future updates.   

As I mentioned above, I would also encourage you to submit a bug report to Apple, so they can troubleshoot from their end as well.  Here is the link to the Apple feedback form for iPhone:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

If enough of us can alert both companies to the problem, hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Frequent Visitor

Just for the record, this issue happens to me, and has been escalated to corporate IT support at this point, in the following scenarios:

In my home with or without WiFi calling enabled
In my car with or without WiFi calling enabled

The fact is, since this feature has become available, there is some sort of bug, and it prohibits the ability to to answer calls, regardless of where I am at and whether WiFi calling is on or not.

The employees that have chimed it, while appreciated, are not providing the answers or resolution. I have personally had a ticket open since March of this year, after having no issues from May 2017 to March 2018. I would suggest that you all go to Comcast main page, and find the corporate escalation page and submit a ticket through there. I would understand if this was a problem that just came up last month and they are feverishly working to fix it, but it took almost 7 months for Xfinity to admit this was really a problem. Hopefully they are actually taking it seriously. As stated, I am an employee, so it pains me to see the company I work for have such an issue for this long of a time.
Contributor

@mcg82, Do you if there is an e-mail address for the XM technical support and/or engineering team?  Just looking that this forum has almost 11,000 views and is BY FAR the most popular XM forum.  It is clear that XM has a problem and it needs to be fixed quickly, so I think the more it is highlighted it will hopefully lead to a fix.  I agree it would be good to escalate this issue to a higher level within engineering and programming to ensure a quick(er) resolution.

New Poster

Based on Jbiedlin's recent post is it not possible that EVERYONE that is trying to use wi-fi calling in the presence of a weak verizon signal has the same problem???? I don't see anyone posting such. The ONLY reason I continue to struggle with this is that the price is right and most of my calls are from people that I warn I will have to call back after the call is immediately dropped which seems to always work.

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm a new Xfinity Mobile customer and this is happening to me as well. This thread is almost 9 months old and the issue still hasn't been addressed -- that's totally unacceptable. I'm now looking for a new carrier and will be warning others to stay away.

Contributor

Sicromoft,

Just for the scoreboard here, are you Apple or Android?

Official Employee

Hello all,

Just to clarify, the issue related to Apple phones only. If the Android user has an issue - we will need to escalate it as a single-customer issue (at this moment). I already escalated the WiFi dropped calls issue to the higher Xfinity Mobile management. 

I wish everybody a Happy New Year and thank you all for your patience and support! 

Frequent Visitor

I don't know how to Private Message on this forum, but please add me to the list of customers with dropped and failedcalls.